Our First "Muse-ings" from Monte Carlo Roundtrip

Master Echo

Bits and pieces.

After 12 years SS has finally installed touch pads instead of card swipes for the security staff to check people in and out of the ship. At last my comments on the end of cruise questionnaires have been listened to! Cabin doors also have the same arrangement, Welcome to the 21st century!!

We have been told that we have 60 free Internet minutes per day per passenger. Apparently SS changed their provider, and whilst the new system was being bedded in, both passengers and crew were given unlimited Internet. Now this has been tested fully fleet wide, the old regime is in force. However having logged in for the first time to post to CC, I was unable to log out as " you have free internet for the voyage and you do not need to log out"!! How I wish!

Update

Internet is definitely only 60 minutes free but supposedly the system will kick you out once your sixty minutes has been used - we wait and see.

Posted for Soapy,

Just a quickie....the ship is fabulous.....spacious suites and public areas yet still intimate......pool deck lunch menu is much improved and service is spectacular....dining in Atlantide this evening and dress is formal....will write more as we go along.......Manfredi on board and also Rudi.....to date very impressed. Pleas feel free to post on my behalf......just one hour of free wifi...packages then start from $178 for the whole voyage depending on what speed you want.......

Master Echo, all; thanks so very much for sharing you enthusiastic (deservedly so) Muse on board reports. Very helpful and informative--hope the crew is also enthusiastically excited as the first Muse revenue pax. Look forward to reading more and if you get the chance, seeing snaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm all for dressing up. I have lots of suits, 2 tux's, many sports coats. BUT when it comes to dress formal every night to

eat in Atlantide, that's it. We generally sail for at least 15 days at a time. So you say why not eat somewhere else sometimes? Because one of us has a food allergy and it gets old having to explain every time to a different waitstaff even when they read their little ipad about it. We like our waitperson to know what we like without having to go into detail every single time. We are not adventurous food foragers, we have plenty of great food around our home area. We don't mind eating in the same place every night. We like getting to know our every day staff and vise versa and don't mind not knowing every employee on the ship, but don't shy from meeting new people be it other staff or passengers . We love sailing SilverSeas. Let's not go "overboard" on this formal thing!! Packing is not fun anymore.

Does a suit/sport jacket with tie count?

Pleased to hear you were first to board Master Echo. Im not sure how our good friend will like having 2 permanently formal restaurants - it will be a bot strange having only a small number of formally dressed cruisers each night rather than the entire ship.

Is it the normal la terrazza for night 1 or did you break from tradition?

How is your suite and veranda?

Happy sailing

David xx

Im not sure how our good friend will like having 2 permanently formal restaurants - it will be a bot strange having only a small number of formally dressed cruisers each night rather than the entire ship

David xx

Seems to work out OK in hotels .......

You don't get people who go to the posh restaurant in a hotel telling everyone else in the other restaurants and in the lobbies that they must go back to their rooms and must all get dressed up because they are ruining the ambience for the posh ones :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

But are they all co-mingling in the hotel bar?

Every hotel I have ever stayed in everyone congregates in the bars irrespective of whether they are eating in a posh restaurant or brasserie or cafe. Most hotels host quite formal banqueting and receptions and weddings where people are pretty poshed up and they don't complain to the hotel to stop scruffs like me to not be allowed to use the lifts, lobby, bars etc

Have you found that hotels impose a segregation policy depending on the clothes you arrive in?

Ships are just floating hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never said that people not dreseed formally would ruin the ambiance just that it will be differnt to the norm . There was once a time when formal nights were the night of the special dinner and major show but times move on and tastes change.

Personally im happy with casual every night :-)

I never said that people not dreseed formally would ruin the ambiance just that it will be differnt to the norm . There was once a time when formal nights were the night of the special dinner and major show but times move on and tastes change.

Personally im happy with casual every night :-)

Thanks, no I wasn't suggesting you did, I was simply addressing the general complaint often aired here that everyone should be force-dressed into some sort of compliance with the wishes of a few. lest their eyes should fall upon someone not up to duff.

I'm with you. :)

Enjoy your Cruise, Echo, Turnip and Sophia...... How envious am I !!!

Look forward as everyone has said on news on your experiences and any tips. Shame they've cut the internet down again. It was great having unlimited WiFi last month, but my next two are in Europe, so my phone has free roaming (when on land or in port) so not a real biggie.

I do get why La Dame is formal, but not Atlantide. Not everyone packs a Tux or formal gear (given you do have alternatives to avoid if you dont want to participate), but I do think for some, this will mean some restaurants will be out of bounds. Not bothered about La Dame, but Atlantide seems to be the best of the "free" ones.

Any staff you recognised from the Wind Last May Echo? Mind you, all the "main characters" in the bars, were still on board, so I know none of them will be with you.

Have a wonderful voyage.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I personally prefer all casual, but understand that some folks like to dress up and they should be able to. I am fine with the prior system of 2-3 formal nights a week, as long as us great unwashed have a place to go. But I am not thrilled to be told that there are 2 restaurants on Muse that are permanently and forever off limits each and every evening unless I am dressed a certain way.

For Stumblefoot -- how about a sports jacket and tie?
On a formal night, I can't say for sure just because I don't have the experience. But, I have a sneaking suspicion a well made dark colored sport jacket, paired with a nice tie and solid dark dress pants, would get you into any venue on formal nights. These days, there are a great many sport jackets and separate pants that are virtually indistinguishable from a suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a formal night, I can't say for sure just because I don't have the experience. But, I have a sneaking suspicion a well made dark colored sport jacket, paired with a nice tie and solid dark dress pants, would get you into any venue on formal nights. These days, there are a great many sport jackets and separate pants that are virtually indistinguishable from a suit.

I think you are spot on and no one would bat an eye lid, let alone make a fuss "it wasn't quite right".

I did see people being turned away from the MDR on the wind - or more to the point, "Loaned" a jacked to enter. I'm not going to judge anyone for not attending without the necessary wears, but SS were upholding standards and they did assist to make it a non issue for the guest.

It is all still a bit hazy, but is clearing up. From what was said, the first night was still casual, so I'm guessing that was ship wide. Hope it is, or it does effectively mean La Dame and Atlantide would not be accessible to anyone without a formal suit. All will become clear this week no doubt. I always take too much clobber (I came home with as many unworn as worn clothes last time out - but I do intend to cull and be more disciplined next time.)

OK.... Question time....

Can we find out what the food options are for lunch and breakfast in the restaurants? La Terrazza is the same as usual wit seems and Atlantide is open for both - which makes me think its a direct replacement in its use for the MDR at these times?

Are there the only breakfast options? I know the Japanese restaurant is open for lunch without charge - which others are operating for Breakfast and lunch?

Enjoy guys....

You know, I'm extremely slow but I hadn't thought of that. I'm like you. The two "best" restaurants food wise are out of bounds every night. Not good as you say.

I read here that the formal ware is waver the first and last night, guess so you can pack. I also believe Atlantide sounds like a great place to eat. All I will have is a blazer and tie so I plan to reserve it for these two nights just in case I am rejected!

Dining on First night on the Muse

As there is so much to describe and we only have a limited time to write up the day's events, reports will of necessity be brief at this stage. More comprehensive comments will have to await the end of the cruise.

La Terrazza has 260 covers and we were told that they served 235 last night, which allowing for tables for two, shows that it was packed. The hustle and bustle was plainly visible and extra staff were drafted in, as obviously La Terrazza was flavour of the day!! Gilbert (overall RM) was much in evidence as indeed was Manfredi who apparently had been seen in various restaurants, came into La Terrazza and talked to diners to enquire their opinions, like a father fussing after his new child!!

As we said on our original post, we had booked all the restaurants before leaving home, eight day cruise, eight restaurants, as we wanted to experience each dining venue

Shown to a table for four, the waitress Abigail, who we had seen on shore for embarkation duties, gave us a menu, and we ordered some red wine. Unlike on other classic ships the menu doesn't change at dinner, but is more extensive. Wes and others will be pleased to know that duck papadelle is on the menu. However there is no ravioli.

With service in full flow by 9.30 and the restaurant packed the lack of any carpet throughout, made the venue very noisy. Indeed we feel that the lack of any carpet, whilst one can appreciate the cleanliness aspect, it now resembles a cafeteria.

We were fortunate in being seated in an alcove off the main area which seated about forty people, because this was quieter. We had a starter and a main both of which were good.

To absolutely clear I will repeat what Paolo told me on embarkation, and Gilbert told me later, the first and last nights are casual dining ship wide in the evening.

Breakfast in La Terrazza

This is the time when the improvements to the buffet arrangements can be seen and appreciated. The design is vastly improved with much more space for passenger flow. The usual regime applies, where waiters will bring juices, coffee and will fake egg orders, other items are self service.