Does CARNIVAL supply a list of accessible cabins for each ship?

ryano

Im not talking about the lists on travel agent sites. Im talking about an official list of accessible cabins FROM Carnival.

This is the only thing that really frustrates me about this cruise line. There are "modified" cabins and "fully accessible cabins". You cant book an accessible cabin on line and their deckplans dont even show which ones are accessible. There is very little info on these cabins unless you call.

To try and make a long story short, I booked a Magic cruise while on Magic this past May. He gave me 4J cabin 9202 only for me to find out later that its a "modified" cabin and not fully accessible at all. Once I got to noticing this I called up the access dept and they managed to move to 4J 10201 on Lido deck.

According to the only list I could find, this cabin is ALSO a "modified" cabin with a 22" door and 22" bathroom door :( This will NOT work! I called the access dept back and they assure me its fully accessible, with a 32" entry door and bathroom door with no lip into the bathroom. Ive been told wrong information before by cruiseline employees though and now Im a little concerned.

My only consulation is the list also shows 10204 as "modified" and I know thats not true because I stayed in it last time and it worked perfectly. Do I just trust the cruise line and show up or is there any other way to confirm my cabin arrangements? Is there any chance 10201 is exactly like the last cabin 10204 I had?

I don't know about Carnival but cruisedeckplans.com shows handicap cabins. In OV there are pics so you can see if they are fully or modified.

Otherwise call and ask for a PVP. If you get a person who answers the phone they are not as informed as a PVP.

I don't know about Carnival but cruisedeckplans.com shows handicap cabins. In OV there are pics so you can see if they are fully or modified.

Otherwise call and ask for a PVP. If you get a person who answers the phone they are not as informed as a PVP.

Thank you! I had forgot all about that site! I actually found pics of 10201 and its gonna work fine :) my heart skipped a beat for a minute LOL!

321841387228458.jpg

My wife uses a power wheelchair so I know what you're going through. The Carnival website has deck plans that show rooms that are "fully accessible" and "ambulatory accessible". The latter is an oxymoron and total BS. The only room that is acceptable for someone in a wheelchair are the fully accessible ones and there's only a few on the ship. Always deal with a knowledgable Travel Agent or the special needs department of the cruise line to get the appropriate room. They cannot be booked online because many people will reserve them who don't really need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ryano, I thought you had this straightened out a while back but I guess not, huh? I know I steered you to some photos on cruisedeckplans and it looks like you went back there and found what you were looking for?

FWIW, Carnival does post "some" info about accessible cabins on Magic here: https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1502

It's interesting because they list 10204 and 10201 both as "ambulatory accessible" which (per their description if you click on the AAC link on either cabin at the goccl site I mention above) doesn't seem to fit what you need. However, if you've stayed in 10204 and it worked for you then I'm thinking 10201 will as well. :)

Hi ryano, I thought you had this straightened out a while back but I guess not, huh? I know I steered you to some photos on cruisedeckplans and it looks like you went back there and found what you were looking for?

I had forgotten all about that site! I have found what I was looking for and all is well again in the world. :) The information I was looking at today was on a online travel agent site and it just got me worried a little. The way the guest access dept explained it to me is the ambulatory accessible cabins just dont have as much "turnaround" room as the fully accessible cabins do. Thanks for the goccl link! Very helpful

I had forgotten all about that site! I have found what I was looking for and all is well again in the world. :) The information I was looking at today was on a online travel agent site and it just got me worried a little. The way the guest access dept explained it to me is the ambulatory accessible cabins just dont have as much "turnaround" room as the fully accessible cabins do. Thanks for the goccl link! Very helpful

My pleasure sir. I hope everything goes well and your cruise on Magic is extremely enjoyable. :)

I know you're not going on Vista, but I wanted to let you (and others) know that cabin 2491 is a Family Harbor Inside HC cabin. One person in my party had it and we had no idea until she opened the door. They had a regular FH Inside booked, then one day that cabin as well as 2476 came open. Since they were bigger, she switched.

Maybe you can make a spreadsheet or at least start a thread (if you are so inclined) of HC cabins so those types of cabins will be easier for people to know about. Or not. Just a thought [emoji4]. Anyway, here's 2491.

da85d6bb7e08f0bb26ae343c380b0ad8.jpg

6d21b447bc803439eefbf6bab5335b23.jpg

75d47de41bb0f2c67ceb0ad06a12d227.jpg

OP, it's worth it to get the lifetime membership to cruisedeckpans.com as it has so much info of all kinds including handicap cabins balconies that partitions can open, pictures and what is above and below a deck. We need more people adding photos as some still show bathroom amenities in the basket that stopped years ago.

My wife uses a power wheelchair so I know what you're going through. The Carnival website has deck plans that show rooms that are "fully accessible" and "ambulatory accessible". The latter is an oxymoron and total BS. The only room that is acceptable for someone in a wheelchair are the fully accessible ones and there's only a few on the ship. Always deal with a knowledgable Travel Agent or the special needs department of the cruise line to get the appropriate room. They cannot be booked online because many people will reserve them who don't really need them.

Ambulatory accessible or modified cabins are perfectly acceptable for pax like my inlaws who just need some support, handrails etc. These cabins hopefully keep the fully accessible cabins for those who need roll in showers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ambulatory accessible or modified cabins are perfectly acceptable for pax like my inlaws who just need some support, handrails etc. These cabins hopefully keep the fully accessible cabins for those who need roll in showers etc.

I do understand and appreciate that. However, it creates confusion because Carnival (and other cruise lines, perhaps) claim to have 20 or more accessible cabins on a ship when really only four or five are truly wheelchair accessible. IMHO all cabin's bathtubs and showers should have grab bars for safety. It doesn't make them "accessible". It is somewhat misleading to call a cabin "handicap accessible" when it is not wheelchair accessible.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I thought I could find where, within the Carnival site, you could find a listing of the accessible cabins but I am not remembering where that is. I'll keep looking.

You could try here (https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx) and look at the specific "paper" deck plans for the ship you are interested in that clearly identify those cabins classified as "accessible".

As another shortcut, Google "carnival handicap cabins" and you should get results to third-party sites that do a much better job of listing the cabins identified as "accessible" and how they are may be "modified" or "fully accessible".

Carnival offers three types of accessible cabins.

Ambulatory Accessible Cabin (AAC)

An accessible cabin with a tub/shower combination

Fully Accessible Cabin (FAC)

An accessible cabin with a roll-in shower

Fully Accessible Single Side Approach (FAC-SSA)

An accessible cabin with a roll-in shower that only has wheelchair access on one side of the bed.

It's a true statement that Carnival does not offer a multitude of cabins that a truly designed for those confined to a wheelchair but I don't think it misleading if they say they have cabins that are "handicap accessible" if those cabins are also not "wheelchair accessible". The term "handicap" can extend beyond just wheelchair confinement.

The information is out there (albeit it difficult to find easily); there is also a qualified and responsive Special Needs Department just a phone call away to help those facing the challenges of sailing with a disability.

One of the reasons why the current plans show so many of the accessible cabins as only Ambulatory Accessible is because if there is anything that doesn't meet current ADA standards, then they are listed it as an AAC and not a FAC. We have an aft balcony cabin on the Sunshine, it was reclassified as an AAC because the toilet is on an angle. Everything else meets the standard except for that one thing. For us it doesn't matter, we can work around it so even though my mother doesn't fit the criteria of AAC, I'm comfortable with the booking.

And as an aside, the new booking system DOES now allow you to book an accessible cabin online. Now if only they could have accurate descriptions of all the accessible cabins, I'd be in heaven booking lots of Carnival cruises.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Now instead of waiting for 550+ days to get a cabin we need, they will be sold out before we can even have a chance to see if there is a room not already booked. The need of one< just more space for another. Guess will be looking else where after this cruise on the Vista.

Now instead of waiting for 550+ days to get a cabin we need, they will be sold out before we can even have a chance to see if there is a room not already booked. The need of one< just more space for another. Guess will be looking else where after this cruise on the Vista.

Carnival has also changed the verbage though - should they need to bump someone from an accessible cabin because they don't need it and someone else does, they now say they can bump them to a lower category. I think that this will work well for the ocean view spa cabins on the Dream class ships. If you book one of those and don't need an accessible cabin, you take your chances of getting bumped to a regular ocean view - I've seen so many people post that if they were bumped, they would end up with a Spa Balcony - I guess Carnival is taking care of that assumption.

Google this--- PDF ada deck plan carnival magic

You will get a deck plan that marks cabins by color.

Fully accessible cabins are shown. Not very many of them; but they are clearly marked on this deck plan.

Wow, only 3 fully accessible on Magic.

Wow! I counted only 4 on Carnival Pride which I don't think is enough. The Magic is a much larger ship. Each cruise I have been on there are two to three dozen scooters or wheelchairs on board. Carnival needs to plan for more FULLY Accessible cabins. Many of the "ambulatory accessible" cabins can be made more wheelchair friendly with some modifications.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Beth C said:

Looking at booking 10201... what was the shower configuration?

If you go to the website mentioned in this thread, cruisedeckplans.com, pull up Carnival, then Magic, scroll down the left to Oveanview cabins, click on Handicap, you will see a list of cabins and most of them have pictures.  Click on the pics to enlarge.  EM