NCL Dedicated Ferry (Bermuda)

esm54687

I can't find anything except the December announcement:

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/local-business/article/20161222/evans-wins-bid-to-run-ncl-ferries&template=mobileart

where did you here May? That would be awesome because I'm there May 7 on the Dawn.

Per this newspaper article dated March 23, 2017, it is supposed to start in May (exact date has not been specified):

http://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/article/20170323/cruise-line-commits-56-visits-per-year

"Mr Fahy said: “Pending the signing of the lease agreement, a vessel has been identified to be chartered by NCL from May through October 2017, while NCL continue to build two smaller purpose built tenders to service Bermuda between 2018 and 2022.

“The tender is intended to be licensed for 400 passengers and will operate on days when NCL ships are in port.”

Per this newspaper article dated March 23, 2017, it is supposed to start in May (exact date has not been specified):

http://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/article/20170323/cruise-line-commits-56-visits-per-year

"Mr Fahy said: “Pending the signing of the lease agreement, a vessel has been identified to be chartered by NCL from May through October 2017, while NCL continue to build two smaller purpose built tenders to service Bermuda between 2018 and 2022.

“The tender is intended to be licensed for 400 passengers and will operate on days when NCL ships are in port.”

Thanks!! Fingers crossed.

hopefully this is a success and they continue this next year for the Escape to Bermuda.

As the article says, NCL is in the process of building two tenders, which will be in service from 2018 through 2022 (per the present contractual agreement ). These are not specific cruise ship dependent. No difference if it's the Breakaway, Escape, Dawn , or whatever ships are being used for Bermuda cruises. As long as you're a passenger on an NCLH (NCL, Oceania, Regent Seven Seas) ship the tenders are being provided for your use.

Per link of 1 example below Oceania has multiple cruises calling on St Georges. I would think this has alot to do with the added ferry service.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/new-england-cruises/new-york-to-new-york-INS170831/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23ships%3DINS

It's part of a contractual agreement between NCLH and Bermuda. The ferries are really more needed to serve the large NCL ships, particularly the Breakaway, which brings 4,000 passengers a week more than 20 times per cruise season to Bermuda than a dozen visits by Oceania ships that hold fewer than 700 passengers. The ferry system has been overburdened since Breakaway has been cruising to Bermuda.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone heard if there's a fee for NCL passengers to ride the ferry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've seen, NCL passengers ride free. So far anyway...

It's my understanding that it is free and it will remain free. This was a deal NCL made with Bermuda to get people to that end of the island. Charging would mean NCL offers nothing other than what is already offered - a pay ferry. That would defeat the purpose and idea behind it. I'm pretty sure the deal was that it would stay free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the NCL Breakaway last week 5/14. The complimentary NCL ferry from Dock Yard to St George is operational. We used the ferry on the first and third days while in port. Third day schedule is one round trip returning one half hour prior to boarding time. This allowed us to spend a couple of hours at Tobacco Bay on the third day! We were assured that we would not be left behind if we showed up at the designated departure time. They reasoned that since there is just one round trip that they know exactly how many passengers take the ferry out to St George and that they can fit that many passengers on the return trip. Maximum capacity is approximately 400 passengers. When I asked what would happen if somehow maximum capacity was reached I was told that they were still working out the details but offered the possibility of maybe putting excess passengers in a mini bus. We still opted to get the two day Bermuda public bus/ferry pass and used it for the Hamilton ferry and for numerous bus trips.

Full page photo1.pdf

Tobacco Bay Beach is a 15 to 20 minute walk from town. Just continue past the unfinished church. St Catherine’s fort and beach is just a few minutes further past Tobacco Bay. That and a quick walk around town is all we had time for on the last port half day. If you visit on day 1 or 2 and are adventurous then take a bus to Tom Moore’s Jungle in the Grotto Bay area then stop at Horseshoe Bay Beach on the bus ride back to Dock Yard.

NCL is paying for the new ferry service from where its ship docks in the Dockyard for the use of its passengers only to St. George -- no money from the Bermuda government. No other lines that dock there can use it since you need to show your ship's card to board the ferry.

MARAPRINCE

I was on the NCL Breakaway last week 5/14. The complimentary NCL ferry from Dock Yard to St George is operational. We used the ferry on the first and third days while in port. Third day schedule is one round trip returning one half hour prior to boarding time. This allowed us to spend a couple of hours at Tobacco Bay on the third day! We were assured that we would not be left behind if we showed up at the designated departure time. They reasoned that since there is just one round trip that they know exactly how many passengers take the ferry out to St George and that they can fit that many passengers on the return trip. Maximum capacity is approximately 400 passengers. When I asked what would happen if somehow maximum capacity was reached I was told that they were still working out the details but offered the possibility of maybe putting excess passengers in a mini bus. We still opted to get the two day Bermuda public bus/ferry pass and used it for the Hamilton ferry and for numerous bus trips.

Do you know what times it ran on day 1 and 2?