Bringing drinks to mDr or buffet

Travelbug1978

Yep. While I would love the Talisker 25 I really don't know that "Talkiser" is. ;p

Sadly though, at $25 a pop, I will likely not be having either one and will stick with beverages that fall within the AIBP range. When I really need a premium whiskey fix I get it at my son's house.

Glenlivet is a very acceptable, non-controversial single malt scotch whisky and within the AIBP ;).

Glenlivet is a very acceptable, non-controversial single malt scotch whisky and within the AIBP ;).

Why yes, yes it is. :)

I will be sampling it freely on my next two cruises. I do prefer the 15 year old (probably more than the 18) but will "settle" for the 12 year old onboard with the AIBP. (I only ever get the 15 or 18 at my son's house. Sigh...)

AIBP for 2 people for our upcoming 11 days would be about $1254. Somebody please help me justify that.... unless I am a raging alcoholic. We will consume whatever, wherever whether we bring it, or buy it there.

AIBP for 2 people for our upcoming 11 days would be about $1254. Somebody please help me justify that.... unless I am a raging alcoholic. We will consume whatever, wherever whether we bring it, or buy it there.

• Specialty coffee + fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast
  • Mid-morning soda/bottle of water/frozen drink
  • One or two beverages with lunch (soda/beer/wine) plus coffee concoction after
  • Mid-afternoon cold drink--or maybe a spot of premium tea
  • Pre dinner cocktail/mocktail
  • One or two glasses of wine (or otherwise) with dinner
  • Espresso/Cappuccino/Limoncello after dinner (Limoncello will make you waiter very happy as they are usually having a contest for who can sell the most)
  • Cocktail/Mocktail/soda/whatever at the theatre show
  • Nightcap on your way back to your cabin. Or several hanging out at Skywalker's.

Well over the per diem cost of the package without much effort.

I drink. I like to drink. I have very eclectic taste so I like "almost" everything. I can easily cover the cost of the AIBP each day without being a drunk - especially as it includes coffee, specialty coffee, juice, etc. However... I can't freaking afford to spend that much on drinks. I have the AIBP on my next two cruises only because it was included as a promo. Would I like to always have it? YES! Will I ever have it if it isn't included as a promo? NO!

Seriously, given the fact that it includes coffee, specialty coffee, mocktails, juice, bottled water, soda, etc. it is easy to cover the cost of the AIBP without ever drinking to excess. My problem with it is that it's more than I would ever spend for drinks each day. I would love to be able to buy whatever I want whenever I want but I'm quite fortunate to be able to cruise at all.

There are others here on CC who have more disposable income than I have. Some buy the AIBP. Others have posted publicly that they found they ended up drinking more just to "justify" the package and will never have it again unless it is included as a promo.

Only you can determine if it's a good deal (or a good idea) for you. Anybody who judges you one way or the other is a floon. (Don't ask. I can't define it here.)

The reality of it is, ANY alcoholic no matter where it comes from can be consumed anywhere a person chooses unless a person is so drunk that it becomes obvious.

Actually, sknight's post was more accurate. When you write out the word "any" in all caps and underline it, you are giving the false impression that there are no exceptions to your rule. However, hard liquor cannot be brought on to the ship and must be purchased on board. This is clearly stated in the contract of passage, the FAQs on the website and the luggage tags. Smuggled liquor counts as "any alcoholic [sic] no matter where it comes from." If it comes from your home or comes from a shoreside liquor store it cannot be consumed anywhere on board the ship. It is contraband. So that is one exception.

A second exception is wine or Champagne that is brought on board for free and for which no corkage fee has been charged. Such wine must be consumed in the cabin and cannot be taken to public areas unless a corkage fee is then paid. Again, this is clearly stated in the contract, the website and the luggage tags. Your post suggests that the free bottle(s) of wine can be consumed "anywhere a person chooses" and this is simply not accurate. sknight has it right. Alcohol that is purchased on board (or bottles for which a corkage fee has been assessed) can be consumed anywhere on board. If you haven't given the ship revenue then you do not have he same privileges. Smuggled liquor cannot be consumed anywhere on board and "free" wine can only be consumed in the cabin. Those are the rules and they are clearly stated.

Actually, sknight's post was more accurate. When you write out the word "any" in all caps and underline it, you are giving the false impression that there are no exceptions to your rule. However, hard liquor cannot be brought on to the ship and must be purchased on board. This is clearly stated in the contract of passage, the FAQs on the website and the luggage tags. Smuggled liquor counts as "any alcoholic [sic] no matter where it comes from." If it comes from your home or comes from a shoreside liquor store it cannot be consumed anywhere on board the ship. It is contraband. So that is one exception.

A second exception is wine or Champagne that is brought on board for free and for which no corkage fee has been charged. Such wine must be consumed in the cabin and cannot be taken to public areas unless a corkage fee is then paid. Again, this is clearly stated in the contract, the website and the luggage tags. Your post suggests that the free bottle(s) of wine can be consumed "anywhere a person chooses" and this is simply not accurate. sknight has it right. Alcohol that is purchased on board (or bottles for which a corkage fee has been assessed) can be consumed anywhere on board. If you haven't given the ship revenue then you do not have he same privileges. Smuggled liquor cannot be consumed anywhere on board and "free" wine can only be consumed in the cabin. Those are the rules and they are clearly stated.

While you may be more accurate in defining which drinks can be transported to the DR there has never been a check on where any alcohol comes from. (aside from bringing your own bottle of scotch or wine to the DR.) If you manage to bring it onto the ship, whether smuggled or otherwise, ANY drink can be brought to the DR since there is no way of checking.

Of course we all know that smuggling is not condoned by the cruise line.

While you may be more accurate in defining which drinks can be transported to the DR there has never been a check on where any alcohol comes from. (aside from bringing your own bottle of scotch or wine to the DR.) If you manage to bring it onto the ship, whether smuggled or otherwise, ANY drink can be brought to the DR since there is no way of checking.

Of course we all know that smuggling is not condoned by the cruise line.

I think we are talking about two different things. sknight properly set forth the Princess rules on the subject which, given the Original Poster's inquiry, seems appropriate. You seem to be focused on the enforcement and "check points". By way of example, if someone on an informational chat board asks "How fast am I allowed to drive on Route 12 between Cedarville and Hickoryville?", a person might respond that the speed limit is 40 mph. But you seem to be taking the approach of saying: "I have never seen a speed trap on that stretch of road, so you can drive as fast as you want." I suppose there is some value to that opinion, but I also think that it is important that when posters are seeking answers that we differentiate between what the rules are versus what one individual thinks can be gotten away with. By first quoting sknight's post and then contradicting (or at least modifying) it, I think the lines get blurred between what the rules actually are and certain people's efforts to skirt them.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I think we are talking about two different things. sknight properly set forth the Princess rules on the subject which, given the Original Poster's inquiry, seems appropriate. You seem to be focused on the enforcement and "check points". By way of example, if someone on an informational chat board asks "How fast am I allowed to drive on Route 12 between Cedarville and Hickoryville?", a person might respond that the speed limit is 40 mph. But you seem to be taking the approach of saying: "I have never seen a speed trap on that stretch of road, so you can drive as fast as you want." I suppose there is some value to that opinion, but I also think that it is important that when posters are seeking answers that we differentiate between what the rules are versus what one individual thinks can be gotten away with. By first quoting sknight's post and then contradicting (or at least modifying) it, I think the lines get blurred between what the rules actually are and certain people's efforts to skirt them.

Well said!

Wow. I like this. :cool:

Yes, there are Princess's rules and then there's reality. If you want to live by what they print, then do so. I'm not saying that what they posted isn't correct but only what I've experienced from many years of sailing Princess.

If you like to be proper & follow all the rules to a tee, then do so but I'm posting by what I know to be fact - on all the ships and let people decide for themselves what they want to do.

Beg3yrs,

For what its worth, I understand your post .. a few years back we took several bottles of wine onboard and we had wine glasses delivered to use throughout the day with our group. Don't remember exactly how the conversation went, but upon entering dining , a comment was made by staff member about our wine. Now we just order at dinner, glass or bottle depending on how many having wine with dinner.

Beg3yrs,

For what its worth, I understand your post .. a few years back we took several bottles of wine onboard and we had wine glasses delivered to use throughout the day with our group. Don't remember exactly how the conversation went, but upon entering dining , a comment was made by staff member about our wine. Now we just order at dinner, glass or bottle depending on how many having wine with dinner.

One time going to the Crown Grill we carried in 2 wine glasses we had filled in our rooms. When the waitress came over to our table, saw the full wine glasses, looked at us rolled her eyes and then proceeded to pour the wine into "their" wine glasses. She never said anything but if looks could kill:eek:

One time going to the Crown Grill we carried in 2 wine glasses we had filled in our rooms. When the waitress came over to our table, saw the full wine glasses, looked at us rolled her eyes and then proceeded to pour the wine into "their" wine glasses. She never said anything but if looks could kill:eek:

You should have asked he for 2 more glasses for the next night. :D

This and the other similar stories point out that when people bypass the rules, they are not only shortchanging the ship of a revenue stream, but also the crew members of their primary source of compensation, which is gratuities. It is naive to think that the crew members are not noticing this or that they don't care. They probably realize that confronting passengers (who will no doubt lie and say that they bought the glass of wine at a bar) is a no-win proposition. But let's not confuse their passivity with indifference.

If she'd have done that to me I'd of got up a nd walked out.

This and the other similar stories point out that when people bypass the rules, they are not only shortchanging the ship of a revenue stream, but also the crew members of their primary source of compensation, which is gratuities. It is naive to think that the crew members are not noticing this or that they don't care. They probably realize that confronting passengers (who will no doubt lie and say that they bought the glass of wine at a bar) is a no-win proposition. But let's not confuse their passivity with indifference.

PP-lease...don't even begin to start talking about shortchanging anyone when they are hitting you up for $40+ for a $5 bottle of wine, or $20+ for a 8x10 picture, or overpriced excursions you can purchase on line for twice the experience. If you purchase one of those, which a huge amount of people do, aren't you shortchanging the ship?

Anyone could go on and on about this but the bottom line is Princess cruise lines are not going bankrupt because 100 people might bring a potential $8 glass of wine to dinner. Every year there's a new fee or charge, or something that was no charge being charged.....Princess has 3 new ships coming in the next 5 years. Believe me, they aren't hurting. I enjoy Princess cruises, but I am not afraid to call it like it is.....just my opinion though.

PP-lease...don't even begin to start talking about shortchanging anyone when they are hitting you up for $40+ for a $5 bottle of wine, or $20+ for a 8x10 picture, or overpriced excursions you can purchase on line for twice the experience. If you purchase one of those, which a huge amount of people do, aren't you shortchanging the ship?

Anyone could go on and on about this but the bottom line is Princess cruise lines are not going bankrupt because 100 people might bring a potential $8 glass of wine to dinner. Every year there's a new fee or charge, or something that was no charge being charged.....Princess has 3 new ships coming in the next 5 years. Believe me, they aren't hurting. I enjoy Princess cruises, but I am not afraid to call it like it is.....just my opinion though.

Yeah those darn crew I'll show them.

Oh yea. I'm going to feel guilty about bringing some rum from home when they charge me $29 for a seafood basket that has 1 crab leg & a dozen shrimp loaded with potatoes, corn and hush puppies. :mad:

Right.....keep dreaming. ;);)

Yeah those darn crew I'll show them.

Once again we have an individual who misses the point. The crew members are an unfortunate casualty of the greed of the industry. If they would just pay them fairly, you wouldn't have people trying to bypass "the systems".

How did she have any way of knowing you hadn't bought the wine at another bar on board? Do the glasses you can get in your stateroom have "Stateroom use" etched on them??

(Please note, I'm genuinely confused as to how the server knew they had been poured in the cabin as I've never cruised on Princess before - but I'm pondering it. If there's a specific way to designate glasses from a stateroom, while understandable she'd not be happy about it that doesn't excuse her behavior. But if there is no difference in glasses put in your stateroom for wine vs. those at ship bars, she definitely had zero reason to throw attitude. If I purchase wine at a bar and plan to take it with me to a dining venue, I'll be asking for a copy of the receipt for sure so that if someone tries that move with me I can show them the receipt that it WAS paid for on board - or as part of the beverage package.)

Oh yea. I'm going to feel guilty about bringing some rum from home when they charge me $29 for a seafood basket that has 1 crab leg & a dozen shrimp loaded with potatoes, corn and hush puppies. :mad:

Right.....keep dreaming. ;);)

(y).....another perfect example. Well said.