Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

No longer a rumor as it is verified in the post before yours. Bribing for a review. Not sure what the point of your post was. My point is that you cannot always put much credence in polls.

Purplelady1: I am not judging people but rather the cruise line. Actually, it is not a judgement really since the hierarchy of cruise lines is what it is. Carnival and NCL are mainstream cruise lines, for instance, and calling it what it is really can't be construed as a negative.

So, you think that Viking is all-inclusive for upper suites? That would be disturbing and would be emulating mainstream cruise lines' "class system" rather than a luxury cruise line.

From what I am reading about Viking Ocean is that they are giving Oceania and Azamara a run for their money. While I don't know about Azamara, Oceania has become more inclusive in the past year. It will be interesting to watch the luxury-lite/premium plus cruise lines so see how far they will go in terms of all-inclusivity.

NCLH owns Regent so it's not just a mainstream cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't let it disturb you TC

Viking is not all inclusive in upper suites.

Thank you for the clarification! I didn't think that the was the case but it was worth questioning.

RJ2002, agree with you but those that are considering Viking Ocean (poss for example) need to question what they have read/heard about the cruise line. There are not that many Regent customers on the this board that have sailed on both lines so this thread is unique.

fizzy: FDR does not call NCL luxury - he is calling a section of the ship luxury. Other mainstream cruise lines have the same set-up (Cunard for instance). I would guess that a large percentage of passengers on Regent are "boomers". Older boomer are retiring and younger boomers are getting more freedom to cruise as their children get older. Younger boomers (53+) still have lots of cruising years left.

Just want to mention something that may or may not be true. It is rumored that Crystal passengers were given special benefits to passengers that voted on a poll (Conde Nast Traveler) which is why they came out #1 for years. After reading that, I no longer believe in polls.

And, as you mentioned, while you really like Viking Ocean, it sounds as if you do not put it in the same class as Regent (or other true luxury cruise lines). This doesn't take away from your enjoyment of your cruise but it also does not necessarily entice luxury cruisers to take a step down and try Viking Ocean (unless they do not drink, want to spend less money, etc.)

Jackie---

For my wife and I, Viking is a superior product, and there is no question it's a luxury line. As you know, we've travelled on both. But it's hard to have a meaningful discussion because all of your opinions on the matter are seemingly based on misinformation, obvious bias, hearsay (i.e., current Regent employees), gossip, and zero personal experience. So I'm not sure it's even possible for you to have a valid opinion.

A while back, you questioned whether or not having individually wrapped, crisp apples justified Viking as a luxury line. Of course not! That's just one small but kind of cool little detail. Does having a prayer wheel the size of a Volkswagen in front of an Asian specialty restaurant classify Regent as luxury? Or 20 tons of marble?

I actually think both lines are great. But, honestly, I think Viking is a little classier. I don't think I'm alone on this. Ask Travel and Leisure!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Paul - think that we posted at the same time. I'm questioning everything in order to learn the truth about Viking - just as some others are doing. poss heard that the noise between cabins is bothersome -- she obviously heard or read about this. Another poster thought that upper suites were all-inclusive. The only way we'll know is to ask you.

My points have basically been that polls such as the one you reference do not hold a lot of water (but does not mean that Viking isn't a great cruise line). Second, based on what I've read and heard, Viking Ocean is in competition with Oceania and Azamara rather than Regent, Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal. When I go to the Viking Ocean website, some of the discussions are identical to Oceania (about bringing your own alcohol onboard, beverage packages, restocking of mixes in the minibar - whether you have to purchase them or not). Not saying that there is anything wrong with not being all-inclusive, however, the most recognized luxury lines just happen to be all-inclusive (even the cruise line that held out the longest -- Crystal -- is all-inclusive).

Luxury sometimes is in the eyes of the beholder. There is a poster on the luxury board that believes strongly that Crystal is not a luxury cruise line (I may disagree - even though I haven't sailed on Crystal but this is the posters opinion).

So, I agree with you that neither I nor any other poster that has not sailed on Viking Ocean can have a valid opinion based on personal experience. However, there is a lot of information out there that can support both your and my opinions.

Very much enjoying your photos and commentary!

Thank you for the clarification! I didn't think that the was the case but it was worth questioning.

RJ2002, agree with you but those that are considering Viking Ocean (poss for example) need to question what they have read/heard about the cruise line. There are not that many Regent customers on the this board that have sailed on both lines so this thread is unique.

fizzy: FDR does not call NCL luxury - he is calling a section of the ship luxury. Other mainstream cruise lines have the same set-up (Cunard for instance). I would guess that a large percentage of passengers on Regent are "boomers". Older boomer are retiring and younger boomers are getting more freedom to cruise as their children get older. Younger boomers (53+) still have lots of cruising years left.

1. I read what the man said... very carefully. 2. I'm sure Frank will contact you if he feels that his words need clarification, or that we need more re-educating.

1. I read what the man said... very carefully. 2. I'm sure Frank will contact you if he feels that his words need clarification, or that we need more re-educating.

Not going to argue. I do know that Mr. Del Rio presents his cruise lines as follows:

Regent - luxury

Oceania - premium plus or luxury lite

NCL - mainstream

There are parts of Oceania's ships that are more luxurious than Regent's. In any case, this thread is about Viking Ocean which I compare to Oceania and Azamara.

Not going to argue. I do know that Mr. Del Rio presents his cruise lines as follows.

1. you are always going to argue. 2. Try to read the article again.......one of Del Rios's detailed points was the overuse of the word luxury. 3.perhaps you don't like the message that the man was trying to covey because as soon as you say that you always agree with Frank BUT.....the BUT negates the part that you agree with him....in a very gentle way. Nobody was discussing product ratings. Just continue on as usual.

Very well said - Regent offers an excellent product, but it is not perfect and not a good fit for everyone. CC offers a forum to discuss different cruise lines to gain a better understanding of what they offer. However, when you have no experience of the topic being discussed, it may be better to read the thread rather than put a one sided argument.

To briefly interrupt our lively and well argued debate, wanted to share some real time photos of our sail out up the fjord from Eidfjord...

ac922e543bd45b00e6ec650e31740c09.jpg

9ee6f14ed44ee0ea0ebba4893862d0b6.jpg

Just stunning...and the light out there is beautiful.

Went on an epic 9 hour excursion today that involved two waterfall stops (one of which we climbed up), a delicious lunch in a turn of the century hotel, and an amazing train ride up the mountains and then down, with glacier views aplenty, from Voss to Geilo. Suffice to say that neither of those destinations meant anything to me before this morning...now I have fond memories of them both.

Here's the hotel in Voss where we had lunch.

87c0fbec92a0d9516eaa7d34076953b5.jpg

Anyway, an overnight in Bergen tomorrow and then we disembark early Saturday. My disembarkation wistfulness is somewhat diminished this time around by a three night post cruise extension in Iceland. Have never been, so it should be interesting!

Oh, wow-- looks and sounds great. I wonder why Regent doesn't go to Eidfjord; I keep reading wonderful things about that port. Or maybe they do, and I just hadn't noticed that itinerary. Thanks BP-- enjoy your Iceland extension. I've really appreciated your posts.

Crystal only started with the polls two

years ago and it was not offered on every cruise. You could vote for any line of your choosing privately and in return for taking the T&L poll you would get Internet time. Crystal does not see these results all they note is that you completed the poll. I have not heard that they are still doing this.

I

Just realized that you were referring to a different poll. I am referring to the Conde Nast Traveller poll where Crystal won first place year after year. I was told by a Crystal passenger that they received benefits by participating in the poll. It is interesting that this was also being done with the T&L poll (whether or not they are still doing this). Again, IMO, this is off topic and not fair to the TS. I brought up Crystal in response to Paul stating the results of a poll to give reason why I do not believe I polls.

Once again, the posted photos are wonderful!

P.S. If anyone is interested in reading FDR's speech in full so that the context is clear, here is a link http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruise-planners-keynote-address-by-frank-del-rio

Edited by Travelcat2

Just realized that you were referring to a different poll. I am referring to the Conde Nast Traveller poll where Crystal won first place year after year. I was told by a Crystal passenger that they received benefits by participating in the poll. It is interesting that this was also being done with the T&L poll (whether or not they are still doing this). Again, IMO, this is off topic and not fair to the TS. I brought up Crystal in response to Paul stating the results of a poll to give reason why I do not believe I polls.

Once again, the posted photos are wonderful!

It really does not matter what travel magazine. The only benefit that was extended was internet. Perhaps it was Condé Nast. We participated in the poll and we actually gave our first rating to another luxury line but it was not Regent. These polls are sent out to millions regarding hotels, resorts and cruise lines and airlines. They do have a major impact on what the consumer decides on.

Polls are not all accurate but they give you a pulse of what people think. We do love Trip Advisor and you can weed out the few negatives and come to your own conclusion.

Edited by Purplelady1

Polls are not all accurate but they give you a pulse of what people think. We do love Trip Advisor and you can weed out the few negatives and come to your own conclusion.

We also like/prefer TripAdvisor but they aren't strong in terms of cruising. For everything else, they offer the best comparisons.

Thanks for your wonderful Viking Ocean posts BP--your very balanced and chock full of humor posts are so very welcome. We (when we were on the Silversea Silver Wind late last month in Bergen, we berthed next to the Viking Star). You Sir have provoked my curiosity about Viking Oceans--but we are very comfortable cruising with Silversea and Regent. So, every time our TA says Wes, u have to try Viking Oceans (our TA is #2 seller of Viking River cruise and Oceans world wide ) I frankly blew them off. Not now due to your thread--thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really does not matter what travel magazine. The only benefit that was extended was internet. Perhaps it was Condé Nast. We participated in the poll and we actually gave our first rating to another luxury line but it was not Regent. These polls are sent out to millions regarding hotels, resorts and cruise lines and airlines. They do have a major impact on what the consumer decides on.

If people are receiving a benefit for their review, it actually does not give the "pulse of what people think". Rather, you are getting what people think when they receive benefits for participating. Also, there are no checks and balances. I could rate Carnival the highest cruise line - even though I know absolutely nothing about Carnival. I could vote for HAL - just for the heck of it. Fortunately, more people than we realize are savvy to these polls. As an aside (and not trying to get political but, in this case, it is a good example)........ look at results of the poll for U.S. President. Enough said on that topic.

Paul, I think that you have opened the eyes of some Regent cruisers. Time will tell what these long time Regent cruisers think of Viking Ocean. It will be very interesting for the rest of us regular Regent cruisers (as well as regulars of Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal). One thing that Frank Del Rio made very clear in his article is that luxury is in the eye of the beholder.

There was a recent thread where a poster thought that making a stop on the way from the U.K. to Miami was not representative of a luxury cruise line and that the flight should be non-stop. However, the fact that the poster had to fly coach was fine and didn't bother them one bit. For us, flying Business Class is normal and, as FDR noted, flying a private jet would definitely be luxury (actually it would be ultra luxury - as long as we could lie down and sleep during the flight).

Paul, does Viking Ocean include air? And, if so, how does their pricing for an upgrade compare to luxury cruise lines? Does Viking include a one night pre-cruise hotel? And, is transportation to and from the airport included? These are some of the things that we look for in a cruise line (and, this is where Oceania failed).

IMO, the more direct comparisons of the two cruise lines, the better!

I just completed a superb Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise on Explorer (in an F1 suite, with a bathtub, large shower, two sinks, and walk-in closet). In response to the comments here, I decided to view at the videos on the Viking Ocean Cruises website, and advise others to do so.

Viking's smallish 270 square foot verandah and "deluxe verandah" suites with showers only and stark IKEA-like decor (my reaction to the restaurants too) make Viking a non-starter for us. I was impressed by the spa and sauna--for me, the not hot at all infrared "sauna" on Explorer is the only significant flaw on the ship. We are Regent Gold so it makes little sense to switch to a new cruise line unless it's really special. We did enjoy Oceania's Riviera and Marina for select itineraries, but Explorer has their superb Pan-Asian restaurant (lacking in Viking) and fun cooking classes.

If people are receiving a benefit for their review, it actually does not give the "pulse of what people think". Rather, you are getting what people think when they receive benefits for participating. Also, there are no checks and balances. I could rate Carnival the highest cruise line - even though I know absolutely nothing about Carnival. I could vote for HAL - just for the heck of it. Fortunately, more people than we realize are savvy to these polls. As an aside (and not trying to get political but, in this case, it is a good example)........ look at results of the poll for U.S. President. Enough said on that topic.

Paul, I think that you have opened the eyes of some Regent cruisers. Time will tell what these long time Regent cruisers think of Viking Ocean. It will be very interesting for the rest of us regular Regent cruisers (as well as regulars of Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal). One thing that Frank Del Rio made very clear in his article is that luxury is in the eye of the beholder.

There was a recent thread where a poster thought that making a stop on the way from the U.K. to Miami was not representative of a luxury cruise line and that the flight should be non-stop. However, the fact that the poster had to fly coach was fine and didn't bother them one bit. For us, flying Business Class is normal and, as FDR noted, flying a private jet would definitely be luxury (actually it would be ultra luxury - as long as we could lie down and sleep during the flight).

Paul, does Viking Ocean include air? And, if so, how does their pricing for an upgrade compare to luxury cruise lines? Does Viking include a one night pre-cruise hotel? And, is transportation to and from the airport included? These are some of the things that we look for in a cruise line (and, this is where Oceania failed).

IMO, the more direct comparisons of the two cruise lines, the better!

Jackie...

The answer is no to all your questions, as I suspect you already knew. But if this is some attempt to imply that Regent is a better value...you're kidding, right? And don't you always take the credit and do the air yourself anyway?

FYI, Regent's included pre-embarkation hotel in Haifa was perhaps the worst hotel I've experienced in years. It was a pre-1960 Soviet Block -seque nightmare.

Jackie...

The answer is no to all your questions, as I suspect you already knew. But if this is some attempt to imply that Regent is a better value...you're kidding, right? And don't you always take the credit and do the air yourself anyway?

FYI, Regent's included pre-embarkation hotel in Haifa was perhaps the worst hotel I've experienced in years. It was a pre-1960 Soviet Block -seque nightmare.

Paul,

Really don't know the answer to the questions and have no idea if Regent is a better value (IMO it when you compare some of Oceania's itineraries in large suites to Regent, Regent can be a better value). Regent used to compare HAL, Princess and Celebrity to Regent in their advertisements to show that Regent could be a better value but I haven't seen any comparisons of Viking Ocean or Azamara.

Agree that some Regent hotels are not up to most passengers standards. When we were in Australia, we stayed at the hotel that Regent was using but upgraded the room (only paying the difference between what Regent was paying for a room and the room that we wanted). It was definitely worth it.

In terms of flights, we almost always deviate and use Regent's included air. When flying within the U.S., since we want Business/First instead of coach we do our own air.. Regent's prices to upgrade are exorbitant. The only other exception is an upcoming cruise to Asia. We used the same airline that we could have had using Regent's air but saved $3,000 by taking the credit and booking the flights ourselves.

I "get" that you really like Viking Ocean -- the décor, food, ship, etc. and that's great. Really enjoying your photos and commentary. As Frank Del Rio said I his speech, luxury is in the eyes of the beholder. Just because Viking Ocean, Azamara and even Oceania aren't necessarily our cup of tea, that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with them.

Paul,

Really don't know the answer to the questions and have no idea if Regent is a better value (IMO it when you compare some of Oceania's itineraries in large suites to Regent, Regent can be a better value). Regent used to compare HAL, Princess and Celebrity to Regent in their advertisements to show that Regent could be a better value but I haven't seen any comparisons of Viking Ocean or Azamara.

Agree that some Regent hotels are not up to most passengers standards. When we were in Australia, we stayed at the hotel that Regent was using but upgraded the room (only paying the difference between what Regent was paying for a room and the room that we wanted). It was definitely worth it.

In terms of flights, we almost always deviate and use Regent's included air. When flying within the U.S., since we want Business/First instead of coach we do our own air.. Regent's prices to upgrade are exorbitant. The only other exception is an upcoming cruise to Asia. We used the same airline that we could have had using Regent's air but saved $3,000 by taking the credit and booking the flights ourselves.

I "get" that you really like Viking Ocean -- the décor, food, ship, etc. and that's great. Really enjoying your photos and commentary. As Frank Del Rio said I his speech, luxury is in the eyes of the beholder. Just because Viking Ocean, Azamara and even Oceania aren't necessarily our cup of tea, that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with them.

Fair enough, but it's fun to keep debating as well! :) And enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, I soso wish that someone would do a careful cost comparison between Regent and Viking Ocean. It must be very difficult though.

For me, even the word "luxury" is a bit of a turn-off, much less "ultra-luxury" and the rest. I suppose this is one of the reasons that the whole idea of the Explorer has never attracted me (plus the photos I've seen and the details I've read about make it clear that the style is not at all to our taste). (Which doesn't mean I'd not book Explorer, since we like Regent so much.) I don't think I'd mind losing "benefits" (mere gold) if we switched to Viking, but the business air is real important to us; cannot do more than a couple of hours in coach. But it's great that Viking actually has true "king-size beds," a major deal-breaker for us. And I think that Viking's Norway itineraries are better than Regent's, but I know little about the area, so need to do more research.

Oh, for a good cost comparison....

So here we are overnighting in Bergen, facing the dreaded disembarkation bright and early tomorrow morning. Getting mildly depressed thinking of all the cheerful new cruisers coming aboard and setting off on a new journey across the Baltic tomorrow, full of possibility and new memories, while we shuffle off sadly to points distant! Alas!

I'll leave you with a pretty picture of Bergen at night I just took from our balcony....

06faf7173320ba85eb6fedc2d8dcbc27.jpg