Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

Do any of the Viking suites have more than one bathroom? Since that is our preference in selecting suites, that seemed to be a drawback of the Viking ships. Perhaps I overlooked them when reviewing the brochures.

• 2 months later...

We will take our first Regent cruise in August so, I cannot offer a comparison. I have seen a lot of people on here knock Viking Ocean Cruises without ever sailing them. We like them. We've done two; Viking Sun and Viking Sky. If you've been sailing the mass market lines, a cruise on Viking will break you from that. True, tips are not included, beer and wine are included with dinner and lunch and their Silver Spirits liquor package is only $20 a day vs. the $50 to $60 on most of the other lines. There are no inside staterooms, tours are included and there are only 700 passengers. No passengers under 16. The crew seemed happy, friendly and content. Knew our names by the second day. Penthouse Balcony and above include the mini bar with liquor replenishment daily. Soft drinks, coffee and juices are included. If you have an opportunity, give them a try on one of their 7 day cruises out of Miami, just to see if it's your "cup of tea" before plunking down big bucks on the Aisia cruise. BTW, the decor and layout of the ships is fantastic and very comforting. Quite a few of the posts concerning Viking Ocean contained inaccuracies and, unfortunately, bad information from second and third hand sources.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

We will take our first Regent cruise in August so, I cannot offer a comparison. I have seen a lot of people on here knock Viking Ocean Cruises without ever sailing them. We like them. We've done two; Viking Sun and Viking Sky. If you've been sailing the mass market lines, a cruise on Viking will break you from that. True, tips are not included, beer and wine are included with dinner and lunch and their Silver Spirits liquor package is only $20 a day vs. the $50 to $60 on most of the other lines. There are no inside staterooms, tours are included and there are only 700 passengers. No passengers under 16. The crew seemed happy, friendly and content. Knew our names by the second day. Penthouse Balcony and above include the mini bar with liquor replenishment daily. Soft drinks, coffee and juices are included. If you have an opportunity, give them a try on one of their 7 day cruises out of Miami, just to see if it's your "cup of tea" before plunking down big bucks on the Aisia cruise. BTW, the decor and layout of the ships is fantastic and very comforting. Quite a few of the posts concerning Viking Ocean contained inaccuracies and, unfortunately, bad information from second and third hand sources.

While this may have been mentioned earlier this thread, the major issue between Regent and Viking Ocean is that Viking Ocean is a premium plus cruise line (the same as Regent's sister company Oceania). What you describe on Viking Ocean is almost the same as on Oceania (except that Oceania does not include liquor without purchasing a package).

There have been many threads on the Oceania board regarding Regent and Oceania. Oceania passengers seem to prefer ala carte sailing. We have sailed both Oceania and Regent and did find Oceania's service to be almost as good as Regent's, their top suites to be better than Regent and the food a level below Regent (except for the specialty restaurants that in our opinion is equal to Regent.) Most Oceania cruisers are not interested in included alcohol or excursions and don't really care that Regent includes international Business Class air while they only include Coach.

In terms of slamming Viking Ocean, it may simply be making a comparison of apples and oranges rather than anything being wrong with Viking Ocean. So, IOO (in our opinion) the discussion should be Viking vs. Oceania rather than Regent.

We have been on no line more that Regent (formerly Radisson) since 2001 (When Royal Caribbean changed its carry-on and "buy on board" liquor policy suddenly and without warning). Now, Regent's prices are so high that we are looking for alternatives. So next week, we embark on an Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity in a Royal Suite (600 square feet plus balcony) with everything included that would be on Regent, plus accommodations over twice the size as Regent's basic "suite", plus at a lower price. The only things that aren't included are air (which would be worthless "economy air)" and excursions for which we have a $900 credit. Will we like it as much as we have Regent? I can't say. But last January we were on Celebrity for a music cruise (on which we had no choice in cruise line) in a suite one step below what we have booked now, and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the cruise -- along with the quality of the music. We could have booked a similar cruise on the Regent Mariner for a bit more, if we wanted to take a category H room with a hideous "walk up" shower/tub combination in the bathroom and only 250 square feet of inside room.

So with what Regent is offering at its price, I don't blame anybody for looking for alternatives. Would like to here more on Viking, And I'll tell more about about our Celebrity Suite experience. I would certainly like to hear about price related options to what Regent offers for its so called "suites" (since when is 250 square feet a "suite")?

One problem with Viking is that their European River cruises have given them a bit of a bad name. Way too few included excursions. And once, when the river level was too low, Viking turned their river cruise into a "buss and hotel" tour, and we hate these! True? I don't know. But I know of no TA who recommends Viking River cruises. I hope Viking Ocean cruises are better.

Having sailed twice on Viking Ocean and then once on Regent, I fully agree with these comments, Viking Ocean is a quality product and well worth a try. The comparisons between what is included on each cruise line is simple to do. We are more likely to sail again on Viking Ocean given the value it offers, but will also sail on Regent if we want to treat ourselves to that something more special, maybe our next big wedding anniversary.

It’s a bit like eating out near where we live, we all have our favourite local restaurants but for a special occasion we are happy to go the most expensive local one because it is excellent but maybe not quite worth the extra money on a regular basis.

Sometimes you want the best value and sometimes you just want the best!

Neil

In terms of slamming Viking Ocean, it may simply be making a comparison of apples and oranges rather than anything being wrong with Viking Ocean. So, IOO (in our opinion) the discussion should be Viking vs. Oceania rather than Regent.

This thread is regent v viking and on the regent board so other discussion is probably elsewhere. Many love viking cruises

Having sailed twice on Viking Ocean and then once on Regent, I fully agree with these comments, Viking Ocean is a quality product and well worth a try. The comparisons between what is included on each cruise line is simple to do. We are more likely to sail again on Viking Ocean given the value it offers, but will also sail on Regent if we want to treat ourselves to that something more special, maybe our next big wedding anniversary.

It’s a bit like eating out near where we live, we all have our favourite local restaurants but for a special occasion we are happy to go the most expensive local one because it is excellent but maybe not quite worth the extra money on a regular basis.

Sometimes you want the best value and sometimes you just want the best!

Neil

good comparison

... We've done two; Viking Sun and Viking Sky. If you've been sailing the mass market lines, a cruise on Viking will break you from that. True, tips are not included, beer and wine are included with dinner and lunch and their Silver Spirits liquor package is only $20 a day vs. the $50 to $60 on most of the other lines. There are no inside staterooms, tours are included and there are only 700 passengers....

Well, they includes usually a single excursion, don't they? Either a walking tour or a bus tour? Anything else and you have to pay. I like the fact that the premium liquor package is reasonably-priced. And that they include internet.

I think people get to compare whatever they like on a public forum. Viking sounds very, very nice. And is more inclusive than Oceania, although not completely, obviously.

I would be happy to try Viking, but their business model bothers me--payments long in advance, little wiggle room for reduced fares once booked, and the litany of problem issues that Dolebludger mentioned w.r.t. their river cruises.

This thread is regent v viking and on the regent board so other discussion is probably elsewhere. Many love viking cruises

good comparison

Yes, and there is a reason it has just been designated the best ocean cruise line of 2018, the third year in a row. We have never sailed on Viking but have two cruises booked for 2019 in an Explorer suite. We are looking forward to comparing them to our experiences on Regent , Seabourn and Silversea.

Yes, and there is a reason it has just been designated the best ocean cruise line of 2018, the third year in a row. We have never sailed on Viking but have two cruises booked for 2019 in an Explorer suite. We are looking forward to comparing them to our experiences on Regent , Seabourn and Silversea.

Yes - it should be interesting comparing three luxury lines with a premium-plus line. Have you sailed on Oceania?

We do not put much credence to whomever designates the best ocean cruise line of xxxx (any year). Once that we learned that an unnamed (because they are not here to defend themselves) cruise line gave incentives to passengers to vote on a popular poll which caused them to be #1 for years. These polls and opinions are no more or less valid than the opinions that we post here.

I have spoken to people (officers and crew) that left Regent to go to Viking and have since returned to Regent (with more of them wanting to return). While I believe that Viking is doing a really good job, is simply is not a luxury cruise line, not inclusive, has a decor that is not to our taste and is simply not of interest to us. Based on what I've read and seen, we would much prefer sailing on Oceania than Viking. I understand, however, that others may disagree with our preference.

Yes - it should be interesting comparing three luxury lines with a premium-plus line. Have you sailed on Oceania?

We do not put much credence to whomever designates the best ocean cruise line of xxxx (any year). Once that we learned that an unnamed (because they are not here to defend themselves) cruise line gave incentives to passengers to vote on a popular poll which caused them to be #1 for years. These polls and opinions are no more or less valid than the opinions that we post here.

I have spoken to people (officers and crew) that left Regent to go to Viking and have since returned to Regent (with more of them wanting to return). While I believe that Viking is doing a really good job, is simply is not a luxury cruise line, not inclusive, has a decor that is not to our taste and is simply not of interest to us. Based on what I've read and seen, we would much prefer sailing on Oceania than Viking. I understand, however, that others may disagree with our preference.

To each his own. Lots of options out there to try and we are not expecting a luxury experience like Regent or Seabourn (nor did we pay a luxury price). We have sailed on Oceania previously and thought it was okay. Regent is our favorite but Seabourn is a close second. So, we are very much looking forward to trying Viking and would be glad to share comparisons and observations.

Who is it, exactly, that rates or "officially determines" that one cruise line is "luxury" and another cruise line is (only) "premium-plus"? Cruise Critic? Isn't it mostly a matter of personal opinion and cruise line marketing departments who make these claims? And doesn't each cruiser have the right to judge for themselves (and designate in their own mind) which cruise line they consider to be "luxury" and which cruise line they determine to not be "luxury"?

Haven't we had this same cyclic discussion, with the same/different players many times before?

I thought I just read a post (on this board) from a first-time Regent Cruiser who had (for him) such a bad experience on disembarkation day that he said he'd never sail on Regent again. For him, on that day, Regent was definitely not a "luxury cruise line". And I doubt that any amount of arguing would convince him otherwise. And why do we even try or attempt to try to do so, anyway? We have another poster who has said many times on this board that there was "simply nothing" that Regent could ever do (wrong), which would ever make them stop using Regent or ever consider Regent to be less than a "luxury experience".

Both opinions seem a bit irrational to me, but again, why should it bother any of us? It doesn't, up until we reach the point when the second poster states with unequivocal and absolute conviction and certainty that the first poster is hopelessly and irredeemably "wrong"?

I don't think someone can coherently discredit an award given to one cruise line ("Best Cruise Line in 20XX") by one Cruise Industry organization, simply because one doesn't "like" or agree with the outcome of that particular poll. It seems like that organization is entitled to express any opinion/statement they wish too, as long as it is not legally slanderous.

And what difference does it really make, anyway? If someone likes Regent enough to make it their sole "go-to" Cruise Line, why would it matter to them what anyone else thought, did, or even expressed? I guess I'm just not understanding why all the defensiveness and arguing over which cruise line is designated as "luxury" (and by who) while another cruise line shouldn't be designated that way. It seems like we're having the age old argument over "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin".

Who is it, exactly, that rates or "officially determines" that one cruise line is "luxury" and another cruise line is (only) "premium-plus"? Cruise Critic? Isn't it mostly a matter of personal opinion and cruise line marketing departments who make these claims? And doesn't each cruiser have the right to judge for themselves (and designate in their own mind) which cruise line they consider to be "luxury" and which cruise line they determine to not be "luxury"?

Haven't we had this same cyclic discussion, with the same/different players many times before?

I thought I just read a post (on this board) from a first-time Regent Cruiser who had (for him) such a bad experience on disembarkation day that he said he'd never sail on Regent again. For him, on that day, Regent was definitely not a "luxury cruise line". And I doubt that any amount of arguing would convince him otherwise. And why do we even try or attempt to try to do so, anyway? We have another poster who has said many times on this board that there was "simply nothing" that Regent could ever do (wrong), which would ever make them stop using Regent or ever consider Regent to be less than a "luxury experience".

Both opinions seem a bit irrational to me, but again, why should it bother any of us? It doesn't, up until we reach the point when the second poster states with unequivocal and absolute conviction and certainty that the first poster is hopelessly and irredeemably "wrong"?

I don't think someone can coherently discredit an award given to one cruise line ("Best Cruise Line in 20XX") by one Cruise Industry organization, simply because one doesn't "like" or agree with the outcome of that particular poll. It seems like that organization is entitled to express any opinion/statement they wish too, as long as it is not legally slanderous.

And what difference does it really make, anyway? If someone likes Regent enough to make it their sole "go-to" Cruise Line, why would it matter to them what anyone else thought, did, or even expressed? I guess I'm just not understanding why all the defensiveness and arguing over which cruise line is designated as "luxury" (and by who) while another cruise line shouldn't be designated that way. It seems like we're having the age old argument over "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin".

I am so impressed by your post and expression of your thoughts and diligence in your words. Bravo!

We’ve sailed once on Viking, once on Regent (Seven Seas Explorer), and multiple times on both Celebrity and Holland America. Regent had the best food and the best cabin, though the entertainment on board, on stage and in the various menus, was neither fun nor lively. In retrospect, we sort of felt that way about the entire cruise. It was certainly luxurious, but we didn’t care much for the stodgy country club feel, and acres and acres of marble. Also, we felt like the staff catered to and coddled all of the veteran Regent cruisers, who comprised most of the passengers, and just weren’t particularly warm, welcoming or friendly to us. Considering the price, we came to the conclusion that the experience just wasn’t worth it.

We liked Viking Ocean more. We loved the clean modern design, and all the cozy spaces on the ship to relax and read. The food, though not quite up to Regent standards, was excellent. The lectures, and opportunities to interact with the lecturers in smaller group discussions, were phenomenal.

Lately we’ve been loving Celebrity and Holland America. Though not as high end as the above, they both provide better entertainment and the food is still delicious, particularly in BLU on Celebrity if you book a Spa Cabin. And it’s hard to argue with their phenomenally more reasonable price points, and HA’s creative, more unique itineraries. And the savings enable us to cruise more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Paul, really appreciated your "take" on Regent, Viking Ocean, Celebrity, etc. As you may or may not know, we are playing with other cruise lines ... just for fun. We have tried a mainstream cruise line and will try a premium cruise line in September and another luxury line next year while still sailing on our favorite cruise line ... Regent:D

I understand what you posted about Regent and know that it isn't for everyone. It just works for us and may work for the TS. Alternatively, they may find Viking Ocean more to their taste. However when it comes to comparing non luxury cruise lines with Regent, it would be easier to share what is the same on Regent and Viking Ocean rather than what is different as it is a shorter list.

Really good to see you on the Regent board!

Travelcat2, I often see this respond from you that Regent are Luxury and Oceania, Viking are Premium plus and therefore can´t be compared, in two days time we are boarding the Voyager for our first Regent cruise and are very exited, but what differens will we see from our previous Oceania cruises that Regent are a truly luxury line but Oceania not?

Personally I think It´s no problem at all to compare two products no matter what they call themselves or what they include, the product thats gives you the best valid for your money wins, simple as that!

I ´m sure that we will have a great time on the Voyager and my intention was not to make a comparison with our previous Oceania cruises but when I see a discussion like this I just have to do it :).

Just back from our second Viking River Cruise and have 120 nights on Regent with an Explorer cruise booked for October. On the basis of our experience we would like to try Viking Ocean and will probably do so. Spoke to lots of people who had experienced Viking Ocean and liked it, some over Regent (although that was Navigator!).

Just a point on included excursions. We had a couple of days in Lisbon before our Douro cruise with Viking and had their included excursions there and in Porto which was interesting as we had made the same stops with included excursions on Regent recently. The Viking excursions were better, with fewer people on more comfortable coaches and people from Viking on each coach. I mention this as they are "like for like" comparisons.

Although we have liked Regent I do feel that they are testing our loyalty in various ways (price, customer treatment, consistency of experience etc) but its a free market with lots of choice so up to us to decide. Thanks to others for posting their direct experiences. I do note that others who have actually tried Viking Ocean are more positive than those who have not!

It seems that many people on this board confuse "luxury' with all-inclusiveness; the more inclusive the line is, the more luxurious. However, the industry recognized leader in luxury cruising, Hapag-Lloyd's Europa and Europa 2, are not all-inclusive.

It seems that many people on this board confuse "luxury' with all-inclusiveness; the more inclusive the line is, the more luxurious. However, the industry recognized leader in luxury cruising, Hapag-Lloyd's Europa and Europa 2, are not all-inclusive.

The most informed post in this thread! IMHO

I'm sure I have said this - or something similar before- so forgive me for repeating myself. Luxury means something different to each of us and that which I consider "luxurious" will be commonplace to others. It makes no difference how much I paid or whether it states "luxury" on the label or brand description - in fact, it might not claim to be a luxury product at all. All in the eye of the beholder.

Brilliant observations.

it seems that many people on this board confuse "luxury' with all-inclusiveness; the more inclusive the line is, the more luxurious. However, the industry recognized leader in luxury cruising, hapag-lloyd's europa and europa 2, are not all-inclusive.

right on ! !

I'm sure I have said this - or something similar before- so forgive me for repeating myself. Luxury means something different to each of us and that which I consider "luxurious" will be commonplace to others. It makes no difference how much I paid or whether it states "luxury" on the label or brand description - in fact, it might not claim to be a luxury product at all. All in the eye of the beholder.

Agree with you. Someone was just saying on another thread somewhere that if you are used to McDonald's, a sit-down restaurant could mean luxury to them. It does vary.

I would like to address a couple of things mentioned in previous posts:

1. In response to the comment "And doesn't each cruiser have the right to judge for themselves (and designate in their own mind) which cruise line they consider to be "luxury" and which cruise line they determine to not be "luxury"? While this is true - the TS may not have enough information to determine in advance which cruise lines are best for them which is why they came to CC.

Although cruise line designations (luxury, premium plus, premium, mainstream) are difficult at best, it gives people an idea of what type of cruise line it is. In my opinion, it helps a lot to have a standard or designation as a starting point to a discussion about a cruise line.

2. While off topic, my comment about awards and polls for one unnamed cruise line was misunderstood by a previous poster. It had nothing to do with not liking the results, etc. Rather, it had to do with a cruise line bribing passengers to vote in a particular poll (which has been verified to me by people that sail on that cruise line). I have no tolerance for dishonesty and that is what my comment was about and it makes me question just about every poll I see.

3. Yes - H-L is one of the top luxury lines but not in the U.S. or Canada. According to reviews that I read about H-L there are typically less than 25 people from North America on most cruises and, while the crew does speak English, most things are in German. Also, H-L is very family oriented and has children on most cruises. I suspect that those of us in the U.S. and Canada do not sail on H-L for those reasons (smoking may be another). This doesn't mean that H-L is not a luxury cruise line.

As an aside, I am doing some fun research on whether or not one can have a luxury experience on a non-luxury cruise line if you stay in a top suite. So far I've sailed on NCL and will sail on a premium cruise line in September. I'm making my comparisons on the luxury board.

So, yes - Regent is the perfect cruise line for us but may not be for everyone. We obviously do not sail Regent exclusively as the more exposure we get to other types of cruising, the more accurate my input will be on CC. NCL opened our eyes to another world - one that isn't true luxury but is one heck of a lot of fun.

pingpong1, nfcu, gilly, your posts are so good :)

I still do not understand what independant body decides that a ship is luxury, premium or something else

Travelcat2 I take from this you are bored with regent, who are you trying next

Agree with you. Someone was just saying on another thread somewhere that if you are used to McDonald's, a sit-down restaurant could mean luxury to them. It does vary.

I would like to address a couple of things mentioned in previous posts:

1. In response to the comment "And doesn't each cruiser have the right to judge for themselves (and designate in their own mind) which cruise line they consider to be "luxury" and which cruise line they determine to not be "luxury"? While this is true - the TS may not have enough information to determine in advance which cruise lines are best for them which is why they came to CC.

Although cruise line designations (luxury, premium plus, premium, mainstream) are difficult at best, it gives people an idea of what type of cruise line it is. In my opinion, it helps a lot to have a standard or designation as a starting point to a discussion about a cruise line.

2. While off topic, my comment about awards and polls for one unnamed cruise line was misunderstood by a previous poster. It had nothing to do with not liking the results, etc. Rather, it had to do with a cruise line bribing passengers to vote in a particular poll (which has been verified to me by people that sail on that cruise line). I have no tolerance for dishonesty and that is what my comment was about and it makes me question just about every poll I see.

3. Yes - H-L is one of the top luxury lines but not in the U.S. or Canada. According to reviews that I read about H-L there are typically less than 25 people from North America on most cruises and, while the crew does speak English, most things are in German. Also, H-L is very family oriented and has children on most cruises. I suspect that those of us in the U.S. and Canada do not sail on H-L for those reasons (smoking may be another). This doesn't mean that H-L is not a luxury cruise line.

As an aside, I am doing some fun research on whether or not one can have a luxury experience on a non-luxury cruise line if you stay in a top suite. So far I've sailed on NCL and will sail on a premium cruise line in September. I'm making my comparisons on the luxury board.

So, yes - Regent is the perfect cruise line for us but may not be for everyone. We obviously do not sail Regent exclusively as the more exposure we get to other types of cruising, the more accurate my input will be on CC. NCL opened our eyes to another world - one that isn't true luxury but is one heck of a lot of fun.

I think that it's great that you are trying out other cruise lines and have even overcome your abject distaste for the on board class system.This is a win win!

pingpong1, nfcu, gilly, your posts are so good :)

I still do not understand what independant body decides that a ship is luxury, premium or something else

Travelcat2 I take from this you are bored with regent, who are you trying next

We are definitely not bored with Regent but are frustrated with the lack of west coast departures for those of us that want a quick getaway. Two months after our September cruise we will be on Regent once again. After that we are doing a 20 night cruise on our favorite ship (Explorer) in February, 2019. We have Regent cruises booked out through March 2020.

fizzy - obviously you are not caught up with my posts about the class system. To be brief, the beauty of luxury cruising is the lack of a class system. However, when you are on a non-luxury cruise ship it is to be expected. Further, I'm trying to answer a frequent question on another board ....... can you have a luxury experience in the "luxury" section of a mainstream or premium cruise line.

Edited by Travelcat2