Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

fizzy: FDR does not call NCL luxury - he is calling a section of the ship luxury. Other mainstream cruise lines have the same set-up (Cunard for instance). I would guess that a large percentage of passengers on Regent are "boomers". Older boomer are retiring and younger boomers are getting more freedom to cruise as their children get older. Younger boomers (53+) still have lots of cruising years left.

TC2,

In your 22,000+ posts have you ever composed a single one that does not include the word "luxury" in one form or another?

If you have, I haven't seen it. Talk about being obsessed with luxury vs premium plus/luxury light cruise lines :D

Edited by Paulchili

Alaska bound! Sounds wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BP,

Thank you for this very interesting, insightful and balanced report on your Viking Ocean cruise.

I read it with great interest as we are booked on the Viking Spirit in 2019 from Tokyo to Vancouver (with Michael :)).

We are Oceania loyalists with 25+ cruises with them and while it is still our preferred line we look forward to trying Viking Ocean.

Paulchili - Greetings from a past Regent and river cruiser. Thanks for your fresh observations. For me, I find it quite "mind-blowing" that anyone (unless someone with a compulsive personality) would want to invest the endless hours of valuable cruise time, while actually on a "luxury cruise", seemingly "glued" to their computer, reading innumerable comments and threads, and actually wasting/investing the time to post and respond (perhaps in excess of 20-30 times?) to nearly every one of those various posts - many of which aren't even related to the cruise that they are actually on!

BP,

Thank you for this very interesting, insightful and balanced report on your Viking Ocean cruise.

I read it with great interest as we are booked on the Viking Spirit in 2019 from Tokyo to Vancouver (with Michael :)).

We are Oceania loyalists with 25+ cruises with them and while it is still our preferred line we look forward to trying Viking Ocean.

You'll have an amazing time on the Viking Spirit, and the itinerary looks sensational! We did Yokohama to Vancouver this spring on Celebrity and absolutely loved it. After Petropavlosk (so cool with three snow covered volcanoes looming over the town), we had a straight 7 day shot across the Bering Sea to Vancouver. All your unusual Alaska stops will make it even more interesting and fun. Crossing the international date line is a unique experience...looks like you'll have two Thursdays in your second week! One thing we didn't anticipate, we had to set our clocks forward an hour almost each night as we made the crossing. A growing annoyance but not a big deal.

Am sure you'll love Viking. The ship itself is well designed and beautiful, and the emphasis on lectures and enrichment a breath of fresh air. No doubt we'll try Oceania ourselves in the future. Our next adventure is a Rhine Christmas market river cruise in December. First time river cruisers. Hope we like it!

Jean, thank you for the reminder to watch that one. I just did so on "catch up" and thought it was a useful insight, though might have been better had there been more ship, less J McD!! I now need to watch the others - including the first series. (For UK CC members, they are all there on Demand 5)

Jean, thank you for the reminder to watch that one. I just did so on "catch up" and thought it was a useful insight, though might have been better had there been more ship, less J McD!! I now need to watch the others - including the first series. (For UK CC members, they are all there on Demand 5)

Gilly I agree re if we had seen more of the Viking ship and less J McD would have made for better viewing.

It was nice to see the ship after following this great thread that certainly gave me food for thought re positive competition for Regent. Jean.

For US CC members, that TV program following the Viking Sea's maiden voyage in the Baltic is on this evening...Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017...on the Smithsonian Channel at both 5 and 8 pm. It's part of a series called Mighty Cruise Ships, as I just discovered. For those of us with DIRECTV, it's channel 570.

I have been on Viking Star twice in the past two years and we really enjoyed it. Many who have posted to this thread are Regent regulars who are considering trying Viking or have recently tried Viking, however there does not seem to be many who have done Viking first and are then trying Regent. We are in the category as we are looking forward to our Rome to Rome on Voyager in just over a weeks time.

Thought it would be interesting to post a few comparisons before we go, maybe a couple of posts whilst on board and then hopefully a comprehensive review afterwards but I think BarbarianPaul's review of his Viking Cruise sets a very high standard!

There has been little to chose between Regent or Viking to date, websites are of similar standards, booking process both acceptable, although I find it strange that I get a better price for booking my Regent Cruise via a TA rather than direct. Excursions and dining reservations very similar. Obviously, you have a choice of included excursions per port of call with Regent but only one with Viking but this comes into the value equation as like for like Regent is clearly more expensive. Viking provided a bespoke printed Cruise booklet that had details of the ship plus a description of all the booked excursions, but whilst this was appreciated the lack of something similar with Viking is not a big issue. The other pre Cruise documentation, luggage labels etc were very similar.

I paid £190/person/night for the smallest cabin on Viking Star (excluding air which I organised myself) on a 10 night Caribbean cruise in January 2017, which compares to £420/person/night for the forthcoming Regent cruise, again we were booked into the lowest cabin category. I have a small amount of OBC with the Regent booking but taking this into account, the Regent Cruise is still twice as much per person/night compared to Viking. My Viking deal included the drinks package which equates to the included drinks on Regent, so I will be judging my forthcoming Cruise on the standard of food and drink, excursions, service and entertainment on board.

I include these values as I struggle to read comparisons between the two cruise lines without taking into account the cost. We should be comparing the value not just the cost.

In the past couple of days we have been allocated our cabin on Voyager and we have received an upgrade of 5 cabin categories at no extra charge or any attempt to upsell. We are now in a Penthouse Suite, which includes a butler, so this is very different to Viking which a) I have never been upgraded and b) don't offer butlers. The cabin is at the back of Voyager which a number of CC posters have commented can have vibration issues. However, I go with an open mind and deal with any issues as they arise.

In my experience the two Viking cruises were sold out, but never felt too busy anywhere, and therefore upgraded cabins were never expected whereas the Regent Cruise has been showing availability until very recently and therefore the upgraded cabin is welcome but 5 categories cabin is very unexpected. Does this mean that it will be half empty or full of travel agents?

So we are looking forward to our Regent Cruise, we have put in our request for Hendricks Gin and we really hope that we can feel the extra cost of the Regent Cruise in the quality of the food & drink, excursions, service and entertainment.

I will let you have my thoughts along the way.

Neil

Neil, so glad that you were able to take advantage of Regent's promotion for upgrades. It is one of their better promotions. IMO, your expectations of being in an aft Voyager suite is good. We booked an aft suite on Voyager knowing full well about the vibration. Perhaps because our expectations were correct, we didn't mind the vibration.

I hope that you will be posting either while onboard the Voyager or when you get home. In terms of Viking, I am curious as Regent's alcohol offerings compare to Viking's alcohol package.

Paul, we will be recording the show tonight -- thanks for the heads up.

I have been on Viking Star twice in the past two years and we really enjoyed it. Many who have posted to this thread are Regent regulars who are considering trying Viking or have recently tried Viking, however there does not seem to be many who have done Viking first and are then trying Regent. We are in the category as we are looking forward to our Rome to Rome on Voyager in just over a weeks time.

Thought it would be interesting to post a few comparisons before we go, maybe a couple of posts whilst on board and then hopefully a comprehensive review afterwards but I think BarbarianPaul's review of his Viking Cruise sets a very high standard!

There has been little to chose between Regent or Viking to date, websites are of similar standards, booking process both acceptable, although I find it strange that I get a better price for booking my Regent Cruise via a TA rather than direct. Excursions and dining reservations very similar. Obviously, you have a choice of included excursions per port of call with Regent but only one with Viking but this comes into the value equation as like for like Regent is clearly more expensive. Viking provided a bespoke printed Cruise booklet that had details of the ship plus a description of all the booked excursions, but whilst this was appreciated the lack of something similar with Viking is not a big issue. The other pre Cruise documentation, luggage labels etc were very similar.

I paid £190/person/night for the smallest cabin on Viking Star (excluding air which I organised myself) on a 10 night Caribbean cruise in January 2017, which compares to £420/person/night for the forthcoming Regent cruise, again we were booked into the lowest cabin category. I have a small amount of OBC with the Regent booking but taking this into account, the Regent Cruise is still twice as much per person/night compared to Viking. My Viking deal included the drinks package which equates to the included drinks on Regent, so I will be judging my forthcoming Cruise on the standard of food and drink, excursions, service and entertainment on board.

I include these values as I struggle to read comparisons between the two cruise lines without taking into account the cost. We should be comparing the value not just the cost.

In the past couple of days we have been allocated our cabin on Voyager and we have received an upgrade of 5 cabin categories at no extra charge or any attempt to upsell. We are now in a Penthouse Suite, which includes a butler, so this is very different to Viking which a) I have never been upgraded and b) don't offer butlers. The cabin is at the back of Voyager which a number of CC posters have commented can have vibration issues. However, I go with an open mind and deal with any issues as they arise.

In my experience the two Viking cruises were sold out, but never felt too busy anywhere, and therefore upgraded cabins were never expected whereas the Regent Cruise has been showing availability until very recently and therefore the upgraded cabin is welcome but 5 categories cabin is very unexpected. Does this mean that it will be half empty or full of travel agents?

So we are looking forward to our Regent Cruise, we have put in our request for Hendricks Gin and we really hope that we can feel the extra cost of the Regent Cruise in the quality of the food & drink, excursions, service and entertainment.

I will let you have my thoughts along the way.

Neil

Neil, will be so interesting to hear your thoughts on your upcoming Regent cruise. For over twice the price, substantially more than the cost of an additional Viking cruise, am particularly curious to hear your thoughts on the comparative value between the two lines.

Congrats on the monumental upgrade! My cost conscious cruiser side is wondering if your butler will be expecting a substantial additional cash tip that was not included in your cruise fare.

In any event, am sure you will have a sensational journey. Happy cruising!

Neil, will be so interesting to hear your thoughts on your upcoming Regent cruise. For over twice the price, substantially more than the cost of an additional Viking cruise, am particularly curious to hear your thoughts on the comparative value between the two lines.

Congrats on the monumental upgrade! My cost conscious cruiser side is wondering if your butler will be expecting a substantial additional cash tip that was not included in your cruise fare.

Hoping that your "additional cash tip" was tongue in cheek. As you know, no one on Regent expects a tip (and I heard a story that happened a while ago when the stewardess and/or butler left envelopes in the suite on the last day. The person or persons did not have a job by the end of the day! In any case, no one knows whether you have a free upgrade or upsell. All the crew knows is that you are in their suite and they know your Seven Seas Society level.

Paul - looking forward to the television show but we likely won't won't it for a couple of days. Will definitely tell you our opinions. BTW, the cruise director on our cruise did work for Viking Ocean for a couple of years (as did many Regent crew members that have since returned to Regent). He does feel that Viking Ocean has a really good product (bordering on luxury).

We as Brits are not great tippers but obviously if he/she goes above and beyond then I feel it should be recognised appropriately. Never had a butler before so may start a new thread on how best to make use of butler, because I think i would still rather unpack my own suitcase and if I am resting on the balcony then I can still walk to the fridge and mix my own G&T.

I agree we are very interested to see how the value equation works out. The cruise line was chosen by our travelling companions who we introduced to cruising a couple of years ago and wanted a 6* cruise line to celebrate a special wedding anniversary but Regent will also be a big step up in quality and cost from their previous cruises. I was so pleased we both got the same upgrades!

My current view where Viking has a particular opportunity to improve is the quality and variety of the included excursions and also the quality of the on board entertainment. It will be especially interesting to see how Regent compares in this regard.

Neil

Hoping that your "additional cash tip" was tongue in cheek. As you know, no one on Regent expects a tip (and I heard a story that happened a while ago when the stewardess and/or butler left envelopes in the suite on the last day. The person or persons did not have a job by the end of the day! In any case, no one knows whether you have a free upgrade or upsell. All the crew knows is that you are in their suite and they know your Seven Seas Society level.

Paul - looking forward to the television show but we likely won't won't it for a couple of days. Will definitely tell you our opinions. BTW, the cruise director on our cruise did work for Viking Ocean for a couple of years (as did many Regent crew members that have since returned to Regent). He does feel that Viking Ocean has a really good product (bordering on luxury).

Looking forward to the program as well. Like you guys, probably won't get to it for a few days.

And welcome back!

Paul, despite what I said, the show ended up recording in the afternoon (strange but true) so we watched it last night. Definitely a beautiful ship and it is obvious that the crew are trying very hard to make the onboard experience as wonderful as possible. Unfortunately, they only showed public spaces, a private dining area but no cabins.

The best part for me is where they were sailing -- Norway - a magical place. Towards the end of the video you will see passengers on a boat - picking up a basket of crabs and going into a tent where they are cooked and eaten (it was shown quickly but gives you a good idea of the experience). We did the exact excursion when we were on Voyager and it was amazing!

Another highlight was a quick glimpse of a former Restaurant Manager that left Regent for Viking Ocean (Gami). He is missed on Regent.

The high tea on Viking is presented a bit better than on Regent -- more like what is done on Silversea. While I love the "true" offerings that are typical of a English tea, I do like the special themed dessert buffets offered by Regent as well (although I try not to attend them as there is at least a billion calories to be had if you indulge:D).

I can't say that I saw anything negative in the film. I really liked the Captain and the way they handled crossing into the Arctic Circle (we also visited that area on Regent). I don't recall Regent having guests dunk themselves (completely) into the iced water which looked like a lot of fun to watch, we all received our blue noses!

Really glad that I watched!

Paul, despite what I said, the show ended up recording in the afternoon (strange but true) so we watched it last night. Definitely a beautiful ship and it is obvious that the crew are trying very hard to make the onboard experience as wonderful as possible. Unfortunately, they only showed public spaces, a private dining area but no cabins.

The best part for me is where they were sailing -- Norway - a magical place. Towards the end of the video you will see passengers on a boat - picking up a basket of crabs and going into a tent where they are cooked and eaten (it was shown quickly but gives you a good idea of the experience). We did the exact excursion when we were on Voyager and it was amazing!

Another highlight was a quick glimpse of a former Restaurant Manager that left Regent for Viking Ocean (Gami). He is missed on Regent.

The high tea on Viking is presented a bit better than on Regent -- more like what is done on Silversea. While I love the "true" offerings that are typical of a English tea, I do like the special themed dessert buffets offered by Regent as well (although I try not to attend them as there is at least a billion calories to be had if you indulge:D).

I can't say that I saw anything negative in the film. I really liked the Captain and the way they handled crossing into the Arctic Circle (we also visited that area on Regent). I don't recall Regent having guests dunk themselves (completely) into the iced water which looked like a lot of fun to watch, we all received our blue noses!

Really glad that I watched!

Great! Looking forward to watching this evening. Am particularly curious to see if Viking tweaked the design of the ship at all, since it's a year or two younger than the Viking Star.

An episode of the same series that recorded on my dvr yesterday morning follows the Europa 2 on a 7 day "surprise cruise" from Istanbul to Athens, where passengers vote on which ports they'll be visiting. A cute, one time gimmick. The ship itself appears to be a wonder, with a level of luxury that truly appears superior to any line with which we Americans are familiar. On embarkation day, there's a line of tuxedo clad crew members greeting passengers, each of whom is given a personal escort to their cabin. The ship's passenger/space/crew ratio is apparently the highest in the industry. Crew appears to speak English but German is the predominant language.

Sooner or later I bet the line will expand to the US.

• 7 months later...
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought perhaps more people have had the opportunity to have tried both lines and can share opinions.

Having been on 3 Regent ships and 1 Viking, I would say that it depends on which Regent ship your are considering. In my humble opinion, I have not been on any ship that can beat Regents Explorer - when they say it is the most luxurious ship ever built, they really do mean it. For me, my Viking experience was excellent, but my Explorer experience was outstanding in all aspects.

Edited by nigelc

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought perhaps more people have had the opportunity to have tried both lines and can share opinions.

Having done both cruise lines in the past 18 months, both are fantastic products. I believe Viking offers better overall value but Regent is a better product if cost is not an issue.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Not a bad choice though, each is a winner.

Neil

Having just completed our firist Viking Ocean cruise (transatlantic), and having done the Regent Explorer in 2017 (Panama Canal), thought I'd add my two cents here. I've also posted comments on the Crystal board (Crystal vs. Viking).

It's hard to beat Regent when it comes to bling, over-the-top luxury, artwork and food. Marble, marble everywhere (you all know that), drop-dead gorgeous dinnerware and silver flatware, amazing MDR and specialty restaurants. Non-pareil.

When we booked Viking Ocean more than a year ago, we also had the choice of a similar Regent Explorer itinerary at just slightly higher cost (after factoring in OBC, etc.). Equivalent Concierge-level cabin. We opted for Viking Ocean because we wanted to experience the sleek Scandinavian design and the streamlined interiors of the Viking ships (quite the contrast with the Explorer).

In a nutshell, we weren't disappointed. In fact, we were blown away.

As others have written, the Viking Ocean ships, which are almost all identical, are beautiful in a very intelligent, comfortable, surreal way. There must be over 100 different kinds of chairs/sofas throughout the ship. Everywhere you look are inviting spaces to sit, read, relax and lounge. A slice of heaven.

Whoever designed these Viking ships is pure genius. Three-story atrium, two-level forward exploration lounge (with dual, magical acrylic staircases leading up to a library), comfortable theater with clear sight lines, and a Nordic spa that rivals any land-based resort spa. (I would book Viking Ocean just for the spa alone ... gorgeous facility with pool, jacuzzi, steam room, snow grotto, sauna, cold dipping pool ... the Scandinavians obviously know how to spa).

Free unlimited wi-fi with the best Internet we've experienced at sea. It was great to be able to text with abandon. The state-of-the-art technology of these Viking Ocean ships is impressive ... advanced rear-projection screens that make visuals pop, touch-screen coffee tables, touch-screen everything, and a customer database that makes every staff member aware of your comments/opinions. And the embarkation system ... amazing! No lines, and it took mere minutes to get onboard. You show your passport and customized brochure, they hand over your keycard, and voila, you're done! Technology at its best.

Other features - no casinos, no photographers, no art auctions, no kids under 18, and no scooters. There were four different lecturers on board, and they were all good. Afternoon tea is held at the Wintergarden, probably one of the more beautiful spaces on any ship, full of Nordic history. And a choice of 19 different loose-leaf teas ...

And what I love is that there is no Hilton-like counter standing between you and the reception staff. If you have a question about anything, you go to Guest Services, all of whom are sitting at wide desks with computers, and you sit down and begin your conversation. Totally civilized.

We've already booked our next Viking Ocean cruise. Yes, of course, there are things that can be improved, like the quality of the wines, the food, etc. But we're hooked. And as that ubiquitous Crystal poster always chimes, 'choice is good.'

Edited by OceanPatter

To be fair, I forgot to add one negative about our Viking Ocean cruise ... our cabin banged when the seas were rough. It was as if boards within the walls were loose, and banged into each other whenever there was a roll of the seas. I did complain, but am not sure if the noise can be alleviated until the next dry dock.

Ocean Patter - Thanks a lot for the review/comparison. I've been giving Viking Ocean "a look", myself. Since I will never set a "goal" for myself of becoming a "Regent Platinum" (or be willing to spend the bucks necessary to accomplish that), it's interesting to explore, research, and try out different cruise line experiences. I'm pretty impressed (so far) about what I've read and heard about Viking. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Best Regards