Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

So it is extremely disappointing, as a newbie on Regent, that I have been snookered again by a cruise line that actually trademarked the phrase "The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience". The phrase Free Unlimited Shore Excursions appears throughout their brochure (often in Bold print) and while I can appreciate the thought that some up charging for "select" tours might be excusable we happened to pick the Voyager cruise through the Suez Canal next May to celebrate a significant anniversary and among the ports are Safaga and Aqaba both of which are "advertised" as gateways to Luxor and Petra respectively. To suddenly discover that none of the tours to those real destinations are "included" among the free unlimited shore excursions has landed Regent (in my mind) as just another one of those cruise lines that will nickel and dime you whenever they can. Their "all inclusive" brochure for this cruise, highlights both Luxor and Petra yet those highlighted destinations are NOT included among the all inclusive tours??? Sad!

I looked up your cruise and could to see Petra or Luxor listed. Where are you seeing the prices?

Also, hope that you booked with a TA that regularly books Regent and is providing you with OBC's. Many times we pay for Regent Choice Excursions with OBC's. Our experience in the Middle East is that they generally have the best excursions at the lowest cost (many were included). We did go to Petra but I cannot remember if it was included or not.

<On our holiday Panama cruise (Miami to LA) the wifi was non-existent ... even at 2AM, so you can't blame it on demand.>

We did the same itinerary in reverse (ok, no, the ship didn't go backwards ;p, but we sailed LA to Miami) on Explorer in January this year and I was able to post my usual daily blog entry, filled with photographs (so not a quick process at the best of times), so I can't agree that it was non-existent for us, merely occasionally slower because, as others have noted, people are on their phones/tablets 24/7. As fast as it's upgraded, the more it is used. Yes, patience is required at times, but it will never be as fast as your (our) own home connection.

As for excursions, I'd expect Viking to have all services nailed in their home territory and the excursions to be top notch. We have generally been happy with our Regent excursions, whether or not we've paid for them and to be honest, I forget which we've paid for and which have been included. The best have all been memorable, as have the worst but whether they were one or the other, I have no idea. I believe that vehicles are genuinely "the best available" and know from experience that in some parts of the world, even the best will not be very good. We pay our money and we take our choice in every respect.

Barbarian Paul, I think you were a little harsh on your summary of Regent and I hope that readers put your comments in context. If that's not the case and you have fairly and accurately described your Regent experience, then all I can say is that it has been very different from mine. But as often said here, aren't we lucky to have choices?! :*

Gilly--

I agree, I think I was a tad too harsh on my summary of Regent. My wife and I did indeed have a wonderful cruise. The thing is, subsequent to our journey through the med on the Explorer, we have since travelled on both Celebrity and Viking. We absolutely loved Viking, and enjoyed Celebrity as well. In retrospect, in my opinion, our experience on Regent wasn't so different, certainly not enough to justify the massively higher cost.

That said, we didn't take advantage of the included alcohol because we're not big drinkers, and cabin size, so long as we have a veranda, isn't a big deal for us. And for me Business Air is always nice, but also an indulgence I can survive without, especially if I have to pay for it through the cruise fare.

One other observation. Right now I'm sitting in the Reykjavik airport about to fly home, after a three night post cruise Iceland extension. It was great, but we weren't in love with the hotel, which was a little low end, noisy, and a good 15 minute walk from the city center. But for the very reasonable price of the extension, I thankfully didn't have high expectations.

As we were checking out this morning, I noticed a Regent Cruises courtesy desk set up in the lobby, welcoming passengers for the included one night hotel stay, prior to a 13 night cruise to Stockholm on the Navigator. Small world! Again, in my opinion, Regent's choice of below average hotels is a little unseemly for a luxury cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I looked up your cruise and could to see Petra or Luxor listed. Where are you seeing the prices?

Also, hope that you booked with a TA that regularly books Regent and is providing you with OBC's. Many times we pay for Regent Choice Excursions with OBC's. Our experience in the Middle East is that they generally have the best excursions at the lowest cost (many were included). We did go to Petra but I cannot remember if it was included or not.

Regent is just in the process of populating the tours for my cruise so not everything is there yet. They do have the Safaga tours and to get to Luxor they run from $149 on up.

For Petra, as they are not posted for my cruise yet I looked at the October 2017 Voyager cruise that will be going through this area on its way to Dubai and found that they will only get to Petra if they pay either $159 (for Petra only) or $219 (for Petra and Wadi Rum). So no "free" tours to either Luxor or Petra. While I am not saying that these additional costs are outrageous, as a Regent "newbie" it is hard to reconcile the added costs with the "free unlimited shore excursion" claims that appear throughout their brochure.

Sure OBC's can cover the cost of Regent Select Tours but they could also be used in the boutique etc (which is what we would have expected since, after all, we will be sailing with a cruise line that provides "free unlimited shore excursions").

Gilly--

As we were checking out this morning, I noticed a Regent Cruises courtesy desk set up in the lobby, welcoming passengers for the included one night hotel stay, prior to a 13 night cruise to Stockholm on the Navigator. Small world! Again, in my opinion, Regent's choice of below average hotels is a little unseemly for a luxury cruise line.

Our "free" hotel in Athens last year was definitely below average and reading the reviews for our next "free" hotel (the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables in Miami) in November, I am not hopeful that it will be much better. Definitely, not what you expect from a 6* cruise line.

I would assume that hotel consistency could be an issue at times. Guessing that Regent needs to book 200+ rooms which many hotels cannot accommodate - especially during the busy season. When we were in Miami in March, there was a festival and I still wonder how Regent was able to find hotels that had vacancies.

Just as with airlines and excursions, hotels are contracted with Regent and, to my knowledge, there is no assurance with any contractors that your experience will be 6 stars. This is likely why they give you the option of opting out of hotels. Many times you can upgrade the Regent hotel at a cost that is the difference between the level that Regent booked for you and the level that you wish to stay in.

We aren't even bothering to upgrade our hotel (Hyatt Regency Coral Gables) in Miami for November since we will only be there to sleep - have breakfast and go to the ship.

I do wonder where Regent customers get the idea that they are promised a luxury experience on airplanes, hotels and on excursions. If Regent owned and operated these places/airlines, I would understand but they don't. Even their advertising (which touts the wonders of Regent) does not suggest that you will get a six star hotel and a six star accommodation. We also have the option of taking the $300 (average) credit for a hotel and applying it to the hotel of our choice.

Not defending Regent but trying to put things into perspective.

I do wonder where Regent customers get the idea that they are promised a luxury experience on airplanes, hotels and on excursions. If Regent owned and operated these places/airlines, I would understand but they don't. Even their advertising (which touts the wonders of Regent) does not suggest that you will get a six star hotel and a six star accommodation. We also have the option of taking the $300 (average) credit for a hotel and applying it to the hotel of our choice.

Not defending Regent but trying to put things into perspective.

Regent customers likely get that idea from Regent when it advertises:

IT'S ALL INCLUDED The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience™

And then goes on to list:

OUR 2-FOR-1 ALL-INCLUSIVE FARES INCLUDE

FREE ROUNDTRIP BUSINESS CLASS AIR*ON INTERCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS

FREE ROUNDTRIP AIR

FREE UNLIMITED SHORE EXCURSIONS

FREE 1-NIGHT PRE-CRUISE HOTEL PACKAGE

All those items are wrapped up by Regent as part of its "inclusive luxury" value proposition.

Why wouldn't a customer believe that the whole product for which they are paying to be a similarly high standard experience as the Regent cruise itself?

Oh that's right because those other items are "free".

It is all some very crafty marketing & advertising.

Edited by ededmd
Fix strange formatting on copy and paste from rssc.com

FREE ROUNDTRIP AIR

All those items are wrapped up by Regent as part of its "inclusive luxury" value proposition.

Why wouldn't a customer believe that the whole product for which they are paying to be a similarly high standard experience as the Regent cruise itself?

Really dislike the term "free". Wish that Regent would simply state "included". Getting back to the hotel, it doesn't say FREE luxury pre-cruise hotel but I guess that it could be construed that way. It is obvious that Regent is the most inclusive luxury cruise line....... they just need a different advertising agency.

Obviously I'm look at positives in life rather than negatives. Life is too short. I guess that I can complain that we are boarding a ship that is way overdue for a refurbishment and still has the old Signatures onboard ....... but I'm too excited and happy to board the Mariner to waste my time thinking about those things. And, in November, we will be in a hotel that many complain about. If it was a big deal, I would book my own hotel...... not a big deal.

Really dislike the term "free". Wish that Regent would simply state "included". Getting back to the hotel, it doesn't say FREE luxury pre-cruise hotel but I guess that it could be construed that way. It is obvious that Regent is the most inclusive luxury cruise line....... they just need a different advertising agency.

Obviously I'm look at positives in life rather than negatives. Life is too short. I guess that I can complain that we are boarding a ship that is way overdue for a refurbishment and still has the old Signatures onboard ....... but I'm too excited and happy to board the Mariner to waste my time thinking about those things. And, in November, we will be in a hotel that many complain about. If it was a big deal, I would book my own hotel...... not a big deal.

Just checked on Regents web-site and at https://www.rssc.com/experience/suites under what's included, it clearly states "FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Package". I don't think it could be any clearer than that. In relation to booking my own accommodation, why should I need to? I just want what Regent promises in the package that I am paying for.

All cruise lines tend to exaggerate how wonderful they are, we all know. However, IMO Regent is the worst offender by a long way, and even if we did not particularly enjoy our last Regent cruise last year (our last Regent cruise anyway) I would be put off by the advertising.

Calling things FREE when they are obviously just included in the cost is a bit of an insult to the intelligence but they must be getting away with it with enough people to sufficiently fill their ships.

FREE ROUNDTRIP AIR

+1

Regent are advertising an "inclusive luxury experience".

The on-board experience is stellar and some of the included shore excursions are very good. However sometimes Regent needs to up-its-game when it comes to the pre and post cruise experience.

Just blaming issues on their suppliers and contractors does not cut it. Regent have a duty to their customers to choose & vet their suppliers carefully, specify the luxury experience required and carry out spot checks on the service being offered.

Sometimes it just needs more thought and management to improve the experience e.g. bus transfers from hotel to ship, which, in our experience, can be chaotic to say the least.

If Regent's pre-cruise hotel or flights isn't doing it for you, simply opt out. The true luxury experience is onboard. Anyone that thinks that they can truly control what a contractor does may be misleading themselves. Yes - Regent can break a contract with a hotel (or excursion operator or airline) but they need to find a replacement that will accommodate their passengers. Perhaps this is why other luxury cruise lines do not offer what Regent does in terms of these items. As FDR says, luxury is in the eyes of the beholder. No matter which hotel Regent used, someone would complain.

In another hour we'll be off to our next luxury experience -- no air -- no hotel -- just pure luxury!

P.S. IMO Hyatt Regency is a world class luxury chain. Another world class luxury hotel chain is Four Seasons. You should have read the complaints from Regent customers about the Four Seasons in Sydney, Australia, We loved the hotel. As with other chains, some hotels are better than others. Not too different from airlines. An airline might be top-notch but have some planes that haven't been replaced with new equipment.

If Regent's pre-cruise hotel or flights isn't doing it for you, simply opt out. The true luxury experience is onboard. Anyone that thinks that they can truly control what a contractor does may be misleading themselves. Yes - Regent can break a contract with a hotel (or excursion operator or airline) but they need to find a replacement that will accommodate their passengers. Perhaps this is why other luxury cruise lines do not offer what Regent does in terms of these items.

In another hour we'll be off to our next luxury experience -- no air -- no hotel -- just pure luxury!

P.S. IMO Hyatt Regency is a world class luxury chain. Another world class luxury hotel chain is Four Seasons. You should have read the complaints from Regent customers about the Four Seasons in Sydney, Australia, We loved the hotel. As with other chains, some hotels are better than others. Not too different from airlines. An airline might be top-notch but have some planes that haven't been replaced with new equipment.

Alaska bound! Sounds wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flossie agree with your above post.

Also just to note this Friday night the second series of Cruising with Jane McDonald returns to Channel 5.

The first episode is onboard Viking Sky sailing a Baltic itinerary.

Last series was really good. It will be good to see the Viking Sky especially after this really interesting and helpful thead. Jean.

Sorry, but if Regent are unable to supply the inclusive luxury experience they are promising in their advertising then they should either 'opt out' of offering those pre & post cruise services (leaving them to concentrate on the on-board experience that they are so good at) or amend their advertising to clarify the level of pre and post cruise services actually being supplied.

If Regent's pre-cruise hotel or flights isn't doing it for you, simply opt out. The true luxury experience is onboard. Anyone that thinks that they can truly control what a contractor does may be misleading themselves. Yes - Regent can break a contract with a hotel (or excursion operator or airline) but they need to find a replacement that will accommodate their passengers. Perhaps this is why other luxury cruise lines do not offer what Regent does in terms of these items.

I notice you refer to the Hyatt Regency group rather than the hotel being used. As you know, because you are also booked into this hotel, the "world class hotel" booked by Regent for my November trip is the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables in Miami - a 4 star hotel with very mixed reviews, hardly a "world class" hotel. Regent sell a package and people should not need to opt out to get what is advertised and promised.

Enjoy your cruise.

P.S Please don't forget your rose tinted glasses or you might see what others see.

Also just to note this Friday night the second series of Cruising with Jane McDonald returns to Channel 5.

The first episode is onboard Viking Sky sailing a Baltic itinerary.

Last series was really good. It will be good to see the Viking Sky especially after this really interesting and helpful thead. Jean.

Thanks for the heads-up. We will have a look on Friday.

Sorry, but if Regent are unable to supply the inclusive luxury experience they are promising in their advertising then they should either 'opt out' of offering those pre & post cruise services (leaving them to concentrate on the on-board experience that they are so good at) or amend their advertising to clarify the level of pre and post cruise services actually being supplied.

I could not agree more. We must remember that Regent is charging a premium for these services.

Luxury is in the eyes of the beholder (hope that I didn't state this already on this thread -- there are too many threads discussing the same subject).

So, if I am reading your post correctly, you would be fine is Regent went back to not including air, hotel, excursions -- just in case. some passengers don't like the choices that Regent makes? Well, IMO, as stated already, with the exception of excursions, you can get a credit for not using the included amenities that Regent provides so why punish everyone just because some people don't like the hotels (or air or ???)?

And, as also said on one of my posts this morning, Hyatt Regency and Four Seasons are considered world class hotels but not all of them are the same standard. Looking forward to seeing just how horrible the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables is. I'll make a point of not only doing a review but also will take pictures when we are there in November. If it is as bad as some people say, I'll write to Hyatt. Regent uses their hotels -- most of them are amazing -- if one isn't, Hyatt should also be made aware of it. JMHO.

Luxury is in the eyes of the beholder (hope that I didn't state this already on this thread -- there are too many threads discussing the same subject).

So, if I am reading your post correctly, you would be fine is Regent went back to not including air, hotel, excursions -- just in case. some passengers don't like the choices that Regent makes? Well, IMO, as stated already, with the exception of excursions, you can get a credit for not using the included amenities that Regent provides so why punish everyone just because some people don't like the hotels (or air or ???)?

And, as also said on one of my posts this morning, Hyatt Regency and Four Seasons are considered world class hotels but not all of them are the same standard. Looking forward to seeing just how horrible the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables is. I'll make a point of not only doing a review but also will take pictures when we are there in November. If it is as bad as some people say, I'll write to Hyatt. Regent uses their hotels -- most of them are amazing -- if one isn't, Hyatt should also be made aware of it. JMHO.

It is about getting what is advertised and promised by Regent when you are booking. Remember that despite the advertising, we are paying for these "free" services. A 4 star hotel is not a "world class" or indeed a "luxury" hotel. I am not saying that it is going to be "horrible", but it sure does not meet what class of hotel that they state will be offered. In relation to writing to Hyatt, why? After all, they are not the ones offering a "world class" hotel and then book their customers into a 4 star one.

Fizzy,

I'll certainly agree with that! coach flights in the USA are NOT acceptable. We always take the credit for the flights that are not intercontinental and book our own upgraded air for them. The problem I see is that Regent's credit is significantly smaller that what it would cost me for those coach flights. And the coach flights Regent Books are not upgradable with cash or points.

The FAA has been ordered by a Federal Court to investigate coach seating on airlines for safety considerations. In other words, the concern is that passengers are jammed in so tightly that they can't get out in the event of an emergency. On top of that consideration, coach seats are torture for me after the first hour, and not very pleasant before that.

If you find this hotel you are discussing above not to your liking and standards don't you think you should be telling Regent in this first instance?

The booking is with them is it not? That would be more beneficial to let Regent be aware for any future booking? Jean.