New Room Service Menu

tinsoldier

I do t think P&O would charge if an objection was made on a contractual basis.

I beg to differ Florry. When we had the "booking Select but only getting a Guaranteed cabin" issue on Britannia, I raised the point that their T&Cs said paying the select fare meant you could choose your cabin, and that was their contract with me, the customer, NOT that they would allocate you a cabin of the specified grade wherever they wanted, but they remained unmoved.

I agree with you and Eglesbrech that it is unfair that they keep moving the goalposts/increasing prices after many (the majority of?) customers have booked. That's now 2 things for our cruise this year - the grats and the charge for room service. We've never used room service (wish we had now!) but were thinking that this time, now the "children" are older, we might let them head off and have a quiet night in. Guess not. If we've got to pay extra might as well go the Beach House or Glasshouse.

Looks fine to me. Don't have a problem with a charge and it's not huge. If anyone has a problem with the charge , then don't use it.

That is not the point. The point is I booked a cruise with a reasonable selection of room service availabe at no extra charge. I did use room service as I enjoy sitting in the peace and quiet of my balcony having a snack lunch. P&O have now unilaterally changed this after I booked my holiday.

If they need to charge more then simply add it to the cost of the cruise. What will they "unbundle" next I wonder?

What if they decide for example to start charging for items in the main dining room, supplements on items like a lot of restaurants do.

At least be honest. They have started charging for room service.

Dont lie and email all customers about a great new menu briefly mentioning "most" items carry a charge.

That said, the amount of food that gets wasted on cruises it doesnt shock me that something ended up giving...

That is not the point. The point is I booked a cruise with a reasonable selection of room service availabe at no extra charge. I did use room service as I enjoy sitting in the peace and quiet of my balcony having a snack lunch. P&O have now unilaterally changed this after I booked my holiday.

If they need to charge more then simply add it to the cost of the cruise. What will they "unbundle" next I wonder?

What if they decide for example to start charging for items in the main dining room, supplements on items like a lot of restaurants do.

Yes I understand that but I have gone to hotels where I have arrived and the prices in the restaurant have increased after I have booked the hotel. Therefore if I want to pay the extra then I do. At least you have the choice of eating somewhere else on board ship.

My last booking was for March 19. So using your argument they could change nothing for 2 years.

That's not going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes I understand that but I have gone to hotels where I have arrived and the prices in the restaurant have increased after I have booked the hotel. Therefore if I want to pay the extra then I do. At least you have the choice of eating somewhere else on board ship.

A price rise is one thing. Going from no charge to a charge for everything but breakfast is another thing entirely, particulalry when there has previously (over 30 years of cruising in my case) been no charge. But that is just my opinion, you are fully entitled to yours.

My last booking was for March 19. So using your argument they could change nothing for 2 years.

That's not going to happen.

Dai, no matter what P&O do you would support it so no point in engaging with you. :)

Dai, no matter what P&O do you would support it so no point in engaging with you. :)

So you have no answer for me. How convenient for you. Why should anyone engage with you at all.

I am astonished that more people are not up in arms about this.

P&O have always said that room service is included in the price (apart from a few items that carry an extra charge). They have changed this completely.

Yes, the menu is an improvement; yes, there are other places to get food on each ship, but not everyone wishes to go to the buffet or the restaurant, or anywhere else for that matter, they wish to sit in their cabins and have a meal, so to bring in a charge for everything, except breakfast, is, quite frankly, an appalling decision, and unfair in to the bargain.

They will, of course, get what they are probably aiming for - hardly anyone will order room service, and, in the end, they will take it away completely, stating it wasn't used.

Don't get me wrong, we like P&O very much, we've been travelling with them for 16 years, but this is not a good decision.

For goodness sake, you are going on a cruise. Let your hair down and stop moaning about paying a few bob for what seems to be a good additional service. If you can't afford it don't use room service, seems pretty simple to me.

I recall the time, say 20 years ago, when there were only set meal times, Breakfast, Lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. If you missed one you had to wait till the next mealtime to eat .. no room service then. And, the cost of a cruise in real terms was twice the cost it is now.

Left out

125P&O cruises, 20 in the pipeline.

For goodness sake, you are going on a cruise. Let your hair down and stop moaning about paying a few bob for what seems to be a good additional service. If you can't afford it don't use room service, seems pretty simple to me.

I recall the time, say 20 years ago, when there were only set meal times, Breakfast, Lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. If you missed one you had to wait till the next mealtime to eat .. no room service then. And, the cost of a cruise in real terms was twice the cost it is now.

Left out

Exactly. I am going on holiday. I don't want to be surrounded by a load of moaners.

A price rise is one thing. Going from no charge to a charge for everything but breakfast is another thing entirely, particulalry when there has previously (over 30 years of cruising in my case) been no charge. But that is just my opinion, you are fully entitled to yours.

Wrong of course. Many meals came with a charge as of now. Nothing to do with this latest change.

BTW that is not my opinion. It is fact. Much better to stick with facts.

So you have no answer for me. How convenient for you. Why should anyone engage with you at all.

No Dai, I just don't appreciate wasting my time. I engage with people who do not start with a very fixed point of view as you do. I have opinions but they can and sometimes are changed by reasoned argument.

By the way you could order a meal on room service for no charge - that is a fact. Yes some items came with a charge but you did not need to select them. I agree with one thing, it is much better to stick with the facts and the fact is you could order a meal with no charge previously and now you cannot (other than breakfast).

Anyway, have a good evening, I am away out on the town.

I too have cruised with P&O for 30 years and am sailing on Aurora next week, my husband & I have booked the ballet in St Petersburg and had planned to eat something from room service on our late return to the ship as we will miss our evening meal. Whilst I appreciate the item cost is not outrageous on the new menu, I do feel it is yet another sad reflection of how times have changed with regard to cruising, where now 'everything' has a price tag.

Incidentally P&O need to get a wiggle on and alter their glossy FAQ info including video which is still giving incorrect info re room service !

I haven't been on Aurora for quite some time, preferring Oriana and Ventura so can anyone tell me is there still a late night buffet on Aurora for the post ballet munchies ! ?

Happy sailing everyone :)

No Dai, I just don't appreciate wasting my time. I engage with people who do not start with a very fixed point of view as you do. I have opinions but they can and sometimes are changed by reasoned argument.

By the way you could order a meal on room service for no charge - that is a fact. Yes some items came with a charge but you did not need to select them. I agree with one thing, it is much better to stick with the facts and the fact is you could order a meal with no charge previously and now you cannot (other than breakfast).

Anyway, have a good evening, I am away out on the town.

Still have not answered the question. I like many others have booked cruises in 2019. So how can the company make any changes when people are booking so far in advance?

I am not too sure why it should get you so upset so you have a go at me.

Still have not answered the question. I like many others have booked cruises in 2019. So how can the company make any changes when people are booking so far in advance?

I am not too sure why it should get you so upset so you have a go at me.

t

Out of the shower, dressed and ready to go so this reply will be brief.

I am not having a go at you Dai and I am sorry if it comes across that way, nor am I upset,I am simply stating a point of view. It appears that anyone who expresses a point of view on here that is not in praise of P&O is a moaner.

And to answer your question, they can make changes but don't change it just after you have sold cruises 2 years ahead. Make it clear in your new brochure / web material that a change is coming, just as they do when deck plans change for future cruises.

Left out

Your initial comments made us laugh out loud ! What you've forgotten is that this is Britain and we all do a good line in moaning (self included in this one!).

Have to say, we have used cabin service in the past on Celebrity on sea days but for lunchtime when we had hibernated in our cabin away from the full pool decks for some peace and quiet. (Bliss)

We are on a 17 day cruise on Ventura in August with lots of sea days and have paid for a nice balcony expecting us to make good use of it. We were just saying that we may even make use of the cabin service in the evening on the odd occasion just to be able to relax, eat on the balcony all relaxed, watching the sea go by. Wish we were there now. Are we happy to pay £4.45 - you bet.

(On some ships that would be a small glass on wine, but on P&O our box of wine comes on board with us so I suppose it is swings and roundabouts).

I can understand people saying that this new cost is new, but looking at other lines they too make changes and perks are lost. (I think I am right in saying that a while back they removed some perks from their Aqua Class Cabins like free water and it caused a riot!)

We are happy with the changes so no moans on this one from us ..

(Just don't talk embarkation times --- ha ha)

t

Out of the shower, dressed and ready to go so this reply will be brief.

I am not having a go at you Dai and I am sorry if it comes across that way, nor am I upset,I am simply stating a point of view. It appears that anyone who expresses a point of view on here that is not in praise of P&O is a moaner.

And to answer your question, they can make changes but don't change it just after you have sold cruises 2 years ahead. Make it clear in your new brochure / web material that a change is coming, just as they do when deck plans change for future cruises.

I do not usually call people moaners and I do not see people as that.

But if I see a different side I reserve the right to say so. I try to stick to facts and avoid opinion.

Presto, I'd like to be on a cruise with you! If we were on a neighbouring balcony, we could say cheers from our wine boxes lol

Would love it too

Just worried that we have a 17 day one this time !!!! May have to be 2 boxes :D:halo:

I assume that if you are confined to the cabin because of illness you won't be charged; otherwise I can see people not reporting illness which will blow up in P and O's face. Last year I caught a bad cold and for a couple of nights stayed in and had room service rather than go to the MDR and infect others; don't know if I'd do it if I had to pay..

Definitely lol!!! Wow, you are going quite soon I see??

Well, the week on Britannia was going to be a week in Devon so no idea how we booked that happened! Still in dreamland and frantically trying to shed the weight we put on over Easter!!!!

We booked our 17 day one on Ventura last April so it has been a long time coming !

We were on Oceana last year and had a amazing 2 weeks so Ventura has something to beat

Wrong of course. Many meals came with a charge as of now. Nothing to do with this latest change.

BTW that is not my opinion. It is fact. Much better to stick with facts.

Yes but all the meals that were previously free, are now charged, and that's also fact.

Yes but all the meals that were previously free, are now charged, and that's also fact.

I agree. All I said was that this is not the first time we have had chargeable room service, as the poster implied. Fact.

I have said earlier that it has little effect as we did not use the service before when it was free.

BTW I also would fancy the panini.