Requesting a table for two

My husband and I are sailing on Vista departing June 25. We prefer to eat alone and would like to request a table for two. When is a good time to email the Maitre D to request our preferred seating? I don't want to email too early or too late. Let me know your thoughts and experiences requesting tables for two through email. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I are sailing on Vista departing June 25. We prefer to eat alone and would like to request a table for two. When is a good time to email the Maitre D to request our preferred seating? I don't want to email too early or too late. Let me know your thoughts and experiences requesting tables for two through email. Thanks!

In the past we always asked on the first night. Never had a problem getting one.

We have always e-mailed a week before we cruised. We were told that is when they start the seating plan for the next cruise. Have never had a problem. If you wait till you get on the ship, you could run into some problems. When you are allowed to board, how many others may be ahead of you with the same idea etc. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

One exception aside, since I became Diamond, I have had a 2 top in the MDR w/o asking. It was never my preference as platinum,I usually enjoyed the larger tables of 8 or 10. Don't know why that's where I get assigned, but it's fine

The Vista 20 top was the one exception, and that was way too large.

I have never written or bothered the maitre'd with the hundreds of annoying emails he or she receives. We have always sat at a table for 2 by going to the hostess stand and say "can we have a table for 2", never been refused

If you have YTD (your time dining), a table for just the 2 of you will be what you are defaulted to unless you request to be seated with other people. If you are assigned a traditional dining time (late or early), it is possible to change by either asking the maître d or the hostess at the entrance. Prior to anytime dining we were always able to get moved to a table for 2 without any issues. Since they started anytime dining, we have always gone with that.

There are plenty but they very close to each other.

probably closer to 2', everyone exaggerates because they do look very close together. You do have to get up and get out of your seat, some thighs are not less than 12". We have conversed with some neighbors and ignored others. Some people want to engage in conversation and some don't

Perhaps 12" is a stretch but I am confident I could have reached over with my fork and speared something off my neighbor's plate!

And no - I am not complaining but rather advising. If you are thinking romantic dinner you need to request a private table or go to a specialty restaurant.

I ask the Maitre"d on Embarkment day. I now flash the Platnium if i have to. I do wish carnival did have more 2 seats in The MDR. there's not much on The spirit class ships we have here in Australian. It's one of the 2 bugbears i have with MDR. The other is the stupid dancing get in & out before it starts & get to comedy shows early..

We have always e-mailed a week before we cruised. We were told that is when they start the seating plan for the next cruise. Have never had a problem. If you wait till you get on the ship, you could run into some problems. When you are allowed to board, how many others may be ahead of you with the same idea etc. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

I emailed the Maitre'D 3 times for our Vista cruise and never heard back. Called my TA and had them call Carnival to put in our request. We had a table for 2 when we arrived for dinner our first night!

I do not understand all this work to get a table for 2? Just pick Anytime Dining and you can have a table for 2 every night and get the same wait staff who will know your preferences just as if you had a set time for dining.

We do that for every cruise without any problems. Sometimes when we didn't like our table for 2 's location we got a quieter more private table for 4 just for the 2 of us. Ask for what you want and you are likely to get it.

I do not understand all this work to get a table for 2? Just pick Anytime Dining and you can have a table for 2 every night and get the same wait staff who will know your preferences just as if you had a set time for dining.

We do that for every cruise without any problems. Sometimes when we didn't like our table for 2 's location we got a quieter more private table for 4 just for the 2 of us. Ask for what you want and you are likely to get it.

We no longer like anytime dining. We did it on our honeymoon cruise on Breeze and it was awful. We would wait in line for 30-40 minutes to get a buzzer. Then wait another 30-40 minutes to be seated. We were also ignored several times to the point that we left and went to lido to eat because nobody was coming to our table. One time a server told us we do not have priority because we do not have children so every time a family with kids sat down they went to them and we were not even acknowledged yet. I had to beg my husband to even go on another cruise after that experience.

WOW, I have never heard of anything like this post. We were sat almost immediately, had a great server who stayed with for 2 weeks. I have heard of 20 minute waits, but never over an hour

Yes, I have heard that on the Breeze it is different than on other ships of a different type. I'd just not go on the Breeze! On the 4 other ships we've tried it has never been any problem at all!

Well that is good to know! I lost hope in it after our last experience. We always eat late anyways so decided late seating was probably best for us.