No more customs forms on Liberty

Just got back from Freedom cruise which left on April 29 and we still had the forms. Debarkation info from cruise director said we had to fill it out no matter what. Customs didn't pay a lick of attention to it. So, maybe we were caught in the middle of a May 1 change. Could've saved myself a few penstrokes to claim a t-shirt, a couple shot glasses, and some key lime candies. Ha!

FYI for those of you who might be flying back into the US from a foreign, at least through Baltimore. We just flew in from Mexico and there were no forms handed out on the airplane because apparently they use the computer kiosks when you get into customs and immigration. You scan your passport, answer the questions and you get a slip to hand in. HOWEVER, since we had a wheelchair, they still required us to fill out a paper form which they had to give us at the airport because the computer terminals are not handicapped accessible. We also flew in through Charlotte some time ago and their computer terminals at the time were also not handicapped accessible.

The change in how you report to US Customs is due to updates to their system and has little or nothing to do with Carnival or any other cruise line.

Many airports (not airlines) have switched to electronic reporting via passport scanning and kiosk camera facial scanning. The US Customs at cruise ports is playing catch up with the airports.in this regard.

The quickest and most efficient way of getting through US Customs is having a Passport and a Global Entry Card. Forget about paper, it is so 20th century!

The change in how you report to US Customs is due to updates to their system and has little or nothing to do with Carnival or any other cruise line.

Many airports (not airlines) have switched to electronic reporting via passport scanning and kiosk camera facial scanning. The US Customs at cruise ports is playing catch up with the airports.in this regard.

I know what you're saying but getting through customs after our cruise was entirely verbal. "Do you have anything to declare?" "No." "Move along." :) There wasn't any electronic reporting either.

It's possible that customs already has information from the ship that Joe bought cigarettes, Sam bought liquor, and Myrtle bought jewelry. Their time is better spent watching for them rather than reading 3,000 custom forms filled with t-shirts and vanilla.

Regardless the reason I welcome the change.

I just got off the Glory 4-6-17 at Miami. Our CD mentioned in his debarkation talk that the declaration forms were no longer used in Miami, unless you made more than $800 in purchases. (Like people will admit this, eh?)

I didn't mind this at all!;)

It's possible that customs already has information from the ship that Joe bought cigarettes, Sam bought liquor, and Myrtle bought jewelry. Their time is better spent watching for them rather than reading 3,000 custom forms filled with t-shirts and vanilla.

Regardless the reason I welcome the change.

Is this confirmed that Customs gets information from Carnival on who buys what?

Just got off the Liberty on Thursday and we did not have to complete forms, however we also didn't buy anything, so I'm not 100% what exact criteria is. All our cabin steward told us was that we did not have to complete one because we did not buy alcohol. They must track it somehow because he knew. It was AWESOME!! The customs agents were just standing outside their desks, looked at our passports and off we went!