won't allow lateral transfer of credit!

Funksters2

We just booked New England/Canada tour with TA. We booked 15 Oct which was cheaper. We put deposit down. Our TA neglected to tell us it was cheaper because that's the end of Fall Folliage! Thats why we were going!

We have begged Princess to apply the deposit to the cruise THE WEEK BEFORE and they have REFUSED!!

We are not asking for a refund-- just to take the cruise 4 Oct!

Do we have any recourse? I am so upset that I'm want to cancel all together. PLEASE ADVISE

We just booked New England/Canada tour with TA. We booked 15 Oct which was cheaper. We put deposit down. Our TA neglected to tell us it was cheaper because that's the end of Fall Folliage! Thats why we were going!

We have begged Princess to apply the deposit to the cruise THE WEEK BEFORE and they have REFUSED!!

Do we have any recourse? I am so upset that I'm want to cancel all together. PLEASE ADVISE

Doubt you've got any recourse unless you can show that you made it abundantly clear to your TA that the whole purpose of the cruise (or a major factor) was the Fall Folliage.

I wouldn't worry about it. Fall colors might even be better on the later week.

Global warming has making the colors change a little later on average.

We did that cruise last year on the Regal, Oct 8-15 and the colors were wonderful, stick with the 15th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a non refundable deposit?

Is it a non refundable deposit?
Great question. It should be refundable if you are not booked under one of the non-refundable promos.

BTW, I'm going up there on Oct 21's cruise. I'll be picking branches up from the water. :D

Do you have any recourse? Of course you do--to cancel and rebook. If that involves losing some of all deposit, or a cancellation fee imposed by your agent, that is a risk you assumed when booking the date you did (and the method used/specific promo on the day of booking). As much as you emphasize that you wanted to sail during peak fall foliage, somehow the choice of dates based on price was offered to you. And YOU and ONLY YOU made the decision to chose the later, less expensive date.

That said there are still a lot of unanswered questions:

Are you booked on a cruise tour, or just a cruise? ("tour" referenced in first sentence of post)

Did the TA book you at a group rate for the cruise and/or land add on? This could be what is making the booking unchangeable, or only changeable at a cost.

Is your real concern losing whatever perks you were given by changing dates? (note thread title "transfer of credit" rather than "transfer of deposit" which everyone is assuming is the real issue--or is it?)

I am also quite curious what cruise line the OP (or anyone) is aware of that allows "lateral transfer" of deposits. When a date change is desired before final payment it is generally handled as a cancellation and rebooking. With associated change in rates, perks, etc.

So again, what is the specific obstacle to doing exactly that that the OP's TA has thrown up against them?

Edited by fishywood

We specifically stated to our TA the sole purpose of our cruise was to see fall folliage.
Fall foliage timing can vary by weeks. Plus, it doesn't all happen at the same time. Foliage starts changing in September north and away from the coast. It literally takes weeks for the change to happen in the south towards New York and on the coast. Saying you must have fall foliage could mean any time from mid-September to late October. One week will not be better than another and there's no way to predict this far in advance when peak will be. It all depends on the amount of rain this summer and temperatures.

Princess never transfers booking deposits from one cruise to another unless it's an issue with a Princess ship. You always have the option to cancel and rebook which in essence will transfer your booking. Your TA can handle that for you. Mine has done that numerous times: she cancels the cruise I've booked and uses the deposit as the deposit on the newly booked cruise.

We specifically stated to our TA the sole purpose of our cruise was to see fall foliage.

I've lived in New England my whole life. Trust me, Columbus weekend (mid October) is the best time to see foliage. I think you got a fantastic deal.

We did that cruise last year on the Regal, Oct 8-15 and the colors were wonderful, stick with the 15th!

We were also on the Regal last year, the week before. The colors were not yet impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We specifically stated to our TA the sole purpose of our cruise was to see fall folliage.

Unless your TA has a crystal ball, how is he/she supposed to predict which is the best week to see foliage? Mid Oct is still the fall with plenty of foliage to see. Stop getting mad at Princess or your TA who got you a good rate. It was you who made that decision when you booked the cruise.

Fall foliage timing can vary by weeks. Plus, it doesn't all happen at the same time. Foliage starts changing in September north and away from the coast. It literally takes weeks for the change to happen in the south towards New York and on the coast. Saying you must have fall foliage could mean any time from mid-September to late October. One week will not be better than another and there's no way to predict this far in advance when peak will be. It all depends on the amount of rain this summer and temperatures.

Princess never transfers booking deposits from one cruise to another unless it's an issue with a Princess ship. You always have the option to cancel and rebook which in essence will transfer your booking. Your TA can handle that for you. Mine has done that numerous times: she cancels the cruise I've booked and uses the deposit as the deposit on the newly booked cruise.

I agree. Last year I went up far north from NYC towards the end of October and it wasn't even peak yet. You just never know. You are really setting yourself up for a huge disappointment if it isn't perfect. I wouldn't be so outraged. You probably booked with a non refundable deposit.

They tend to hold you down to the booking that you have unless you have some sort of health emergency. And you have to have honest to god, freaking paper work. Otherwise your still going to have to pay for it all and or not get your money back.

Can I offer you a bit of advice?

This is something my daughter and I do from time to time. Do a back to backer. Do the cruse you scheduled and then see if you can go on the next one you wish to go on. But do so quickly. Payment is most likely due yesterday. And if you have a stateroom preference See if Princess will let you keep you same room that you were in for that next town about cruise.

My daughter and I were supposed to switch rooms once, and with a bit of typing mojo, they were able to keep us in the same room for the second bout.

IF you can do this, you may be able to get more deals. And be able to get a room upgrade for both the cruises. Back to backer is the only way that you'll be able to go on the one that you wish to go one. And hey? When you do some of the stuff you wish to do when your at port the first go around? At least you'll have the cruise ship to yourself (mostly) because most everyone will be off. And while everyone else is off the ship, you and yours can cause whatever chaos and fun at will and just good measured fun.

That's how we have to do so sometimes, to get to go to the port we want. So I guess in all of my ramble? That if you want to see what you wish? Do a back to back cruise. And have more relaxing time. A lot of time they will help you with finding very good deals.

And I know this cause well it's happened. And I get travel agent bonuses. Both myself and Daughter do. And then throw in the fact that we a re visually impaired/legally blind? OMG it's so much fun to pick on crew members as they lead us around the ship...

But I digress.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying though.

And sorry for the super ramble. I have been told I also have a degree of talking and talking and talking, and rambling to bloody much.

Forgive me? But I hoped I helped? Sorry again. -goes poof cause I'm scared I offended"

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you going through a travel agent or booking yourself? Sorry I'm curious, and you don't have to answer. But would you do the back to backer if the pricing was reasonable? And I'm going to take a wild guess on No?

Predicting fall colors a year from now is like predicting the weather a year from now and about as accurate.

DON

DON does have a point... I mean with weather these days? The trees could start shedding their leaves in March, and snow will happen in July. The world wonky on wonky wonderland. Who bleeding knows anymore.

The leave fell late last year I believe. But my mind could be messing with me with what's going on with my health. But hey? Bipolar is the USofA weather right? Kinda like everything we see/hear on the damned news every damn day.

Who's to know. Shutting up.

I have gone October 15th and we were too early for fall foliage.

I have also gone October 22nd and we hit Boston perfect for colors on October 31st!

Colors turn inland before they turn along the coast. I did excessive research on Fall Foliage network (you can go back several years)

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/~foliagen/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive

And you can check and see when foliage hits the certain area. I would choose your date again if I was to go again. Definitely look at past years. I don't think you will still be upset!

Last year: http://www.foliagenetwork.com/~foliagen/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive-2015/143-foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive-2015/623-ne-foliage-report-13-2015 You would have been early for color in some areas and would have hit Maine perfectly.

It really is impossible to predict colors but just go with your date. If you miss colors, you will have some impressive places to see. On my 2 cruises, if you had gone a week early, you would have missed the colors as you were too early.

As others have said the timing of fall colors varies. Last year the colors were very late. We cruised from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale on Oct 22 and the colors were probably at their peak.

I am guessing there may be a non-refundable deposit.