Auto Tipping....Or Not?

We will be sailing with friends this December , they are seasoned cruisers and instead of doing the auto tipping on a daily basis, they bring cash in envelopes for cabin steward and waiters (eat in MDR every evening). I know they are very generous with their tips but my question is, does the cabin steward and waiters get to keep that cash or is it still split up? Believe me, I read up a lot here and understand how automatic tipping helps everyone and how you can tip extra, not going to convince them otherwise but just curious. We always do auto tipping....

We will be sailing with friends this December , they are seasoned cruisers and instead of doing the auto tipping on a daily basis, they bring cash in envelopes for cabin steward and waiters (eat in MDR every evening). I know they are very generous with their tips but my question is, does the cabin steward and waiters get to keep that cash or is it still split up? Believe me, I read up a lot here and understand how automatic tipping helps everyone and how you can tip extra, not going to convince them otherwise but just curious. We always do auto tipping....

My understanding is that if you remove the auto tip any cash you give must be turned in and divided up amongst all the staff who receive tips. If you leave the auto tip in place and simply tip extra then they are able to keep it. Worth pointing out to everyone else who posts here that the OP said she always leaves the tip on. She is asking about friends who tip with cash instead. Lectures directed at her about why she should tip are not necessary.;)

This is an "age old" question. Many believe that even cash tips are pooled. But an important point to remember is that the automatic gratuities ARE pooled and split among employees who also work alternate venues like the Windjammer, Sorrentos, etc. So when you automatically tip you are including many who are not on the "tip list." They also work very hard. To tip cash only could leave these hardworking people out. I guess "fairness" is in the eye of the beholder. I use automatic tips. That way EVERYONE gets their "share." I also add for waiters and room steward, favorite bar tenders, Diamond/Concierge servers. So, that's my perspective. If your friends want to make sure EVERYONE who serves them gets a fair gratuity, then have them leave automatic tips and then they can further reward those whom they believe deserve it.

My understanding is that if you remove the auto tip any cash you give must be turned in and divided up amongst all the staff who receive tips. If you leave the auto tip in place and simply tip extra then they are able to keep it. Worth pointing out to everyone else who posts here that the OP said she always leaves the tip on. She is asking about friends who tip with cash instead. Lectures directed at her about why she should tip are not necessary.;)

Thanks, I was fully prepared for snarky comments!:o

we pre pay gratuities before we leave home and tip extra to staff accordingly. Sometimes they go above and beyond so we tip well and other times they have done just what was expected of them and we have not given extra. Not that this happens very often, our one Carnival cruise our wait staff was terrible, I don't know if they were spread too thin but very bad service. Our two recent cruises on the Anthem and the Allure the staff were fantastic, very attentive. They were given good tips as a sign of our appreciation. We felt very pampered. It has always been our understanding that when they are given extra it is theirs to keep.

I don't see the benefit of tipping cash. Pre-paying gratuities and then giving additional tips in cash if you feel someone has gone above and beyond just seems so much simpler and more convenient.

The crewmember whose guests remove auto tips is "charged" the amount of auto tips anyhow, so they basically get pooled. Any amount over and above the standard tip amount is their's to keep.

• 8 months later...

Don't forget the "tipping" differences between the UK and USA customs differ quite a lot. We in the UK tip regularly at about 10% USA citizens possibly more but we don't expect to be tipped as a waiter/waitress in restaurants or anywhere else but US workers do expect and in some cases demand it.

That would be unfair as you already stated you autotip plus give extra cash which is the honourable thing to do.

All you can do is point out how easy and better it is for the crew to your friends but everyone ultimately can choose what they do.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Don't forget the "tipping" differences between the UK and USA customs differ quite a lot. We in the UK tip regularly at about 10% USA citizens possibly more but we don't expect to be tipped as a waiter/waitress in restaurants or anywhere else but US workers do expect and in some cases demand it.

Well you have to realize that in a lot of places, servers have to pay out a certain percentage of the check to other workers in a restaurant(like bar staff, bus boys, kitchen line staff). So if someone leaves no tip or a minimum tip, then they could actually have to pay to wait on your table.

Well you have to realize that in a lot of places, servers have to pay out a certain percentage of the check to other workers in a restaurant(like bar staff, bus boys, kitchen line staff). So if someone leaves no tip or a minimum tip, then they could actually have to pay to wait on your table.

This puts tips in perspective for us in the UK who know everyone here should be paid at least minimum wage from their employers.

This puts tips in perspective for us in the UK who know everyone here should be paid at least minimum wage from their employers.

Not cruise related, but if you ever want to be horrified, google “server minimum wage” with the US state of your choice. Ghastly. I’m from here and I don’t understand the US

(Now, in my state of Washington; there’s no server minimum (it’s just minimum, not lower for servers). But many other states.)

Not cruise related, but if you ever want to be horrified, google “server minimum wage” with the US state of your choice. Ghastly. I’m from here and I don’t understand the US

(Now, in my state of Washington; there’s no server minimum (it’s just minimum, not lower for servers). But many other states.)

In some shops, factory's and sales in the UK we have employers who put their employees on zero hours so they don't know when or what hours they will work, comission only sales where they are bossed like employees but no salaried benefits whatsoever.

When people have complained about ship tipping on UK sites and cruise lines actions towards paying crew i have pointed out these and the facts you mentioned to highlight low paying employers is endemic amongst a large proportion of society.

I haven’t been on many cruises but I always have given the suggested tip and abit extra on top . I’m not a Brit who does not tip in restaurants on land in the US , usually 15to 20% but I now feel almost obliged ( rightly or wrongly ) to tip again on top of the autogratuities and I don’t like this . I know the staff work hard and I want to reward them, I also can see the fairness of autogratuity tips . I’m probably not explaining myself very well , but handing my waiter $10 at the end of a trip would seem mean but maybe that’s all I want / can give !!

I haven’t been on many cruises but I always have given the suggested tip and abit extra on top . I’m not a Brit who does not tip in restaurants on land in the US , usually 15to 20% but I now feel almost obliged ( rightly or wrongly ) to tip again on top of the autogratuities and I don’t like this . I know the staff work hard and I want to reward them, I also can see the fairness of autogratuity tips . I’m probably not explaining myself very well , but handing my waiter $10 at the end of a trip would seem mean but maybe that’s all I want / can give !!

The crew are all worth extra and we always do give extra but the end of cruise video telling you additional gratuitys are welcomed does make you feel it is expected.

We always pay tips in advance. Does our cabin attendant know we have done this? We do give a little extra at the end of the cruise but would he think we are mean as we don't give a lot as we have already paid.

What would you say is the going rate to give them if he/she has done an excellent job of looking after us and we have already paid tips in advance? Its not easy for us Brits who are not used to this.

We always pay tips in advance. Does our cabin attendant know we have done this? We do give a little extra at the end of the cruise but would he think we are mean as we don't give a lot as we have already paid.

What would you say is the going rate to give them if he/she has done an excellent job of looking after us and we have already paid tips in advance? Its not easy for us Brits who are not used to this.

We always pre pay our tips too and have never felt under any pressure to give extra. I would estimate we do give extra around 50 per cent of the time (to waiters and cabin steward) and it's usually $20 each. We do also tip for room service and in the DL/CL.

Julie

The crew does see a list of those that have auto-gratuities and pre-paid gratuities. Before this, the envelopes with cash were what was customary. My son-in-law used to refuse to put a tip in to cover his son and my daughter would let me know and I would go to their steward (who was same as ours, as our cabins were next door) and give him the additional cash for cabin #XXX). We did this for YEARS because we wanted our daughter to be able to cruise with us and we knew he was the cheapest man alive and had no respect or appreciation. The SIL no longer cruises with us, but his wife and son still go on the family cruises. His son is now in his early 20's, pays for his own cruise and tips generously to the crew and ALWAYS tips well at restaurants and hotels. He has had many jobs and so did his friends in the service industry during college and appreciates and respects their hard work, which makes me very proud.

I always do the prepay, and make sure I have extra $1's with me to give out to staff during the day for a job well done. Prompt with drinks, left to person cleaning our table at buffet if they also brought water or offered coffee etc

I found once on Allure I had the rudest person serving us dinner I had ever encountered on a cruise (over 30 cruises).

She did not get extra at the end of the cruise - usually take $20 each for each staff member that work our table - all the others at the table did (discreetly).

She apparently did not like children - kids were 9 & 11 then ate well, dressed for dinner - read in between courses so they were not bored.

If I can afford to cruise, an extra 200 during the cruise does not hurt me.

After being in some of the ports/countries these staff come from, I see why they have to work out of country and the need to send money home.

Which is such a shame...you shouldn't be prepared for snarky comments :rolleyes:

But I thought the input from 2ferfun was a fabulous and timely comment - coz I have found that it doesnt matter how prepared you are, someone always manages to make an upsetting comment ...:)

Nice (y)

The crewmember whose guests remove auto tips is "charged" the amount of auto tips anyhow, so they basically get pooled. Any amount over and above the standard tip amount is their's to keep.

hi Bob, how does this work if say, the guest never uses the MDR but uses Windjammer and gives their tips to the waiters there - how do they ever tie that in? Will their MDR waiter/ess have to pay into a pot the amount they should have got even though they never saw the guests - and the tips have been given to the guys & gals in Windjammer?

Seems very unfair to me - glad we pre-pay tips as its easier!

thanks

Jean