Loss of some Elite perks

Plant

Just returned from a cruise with a cousin that works at corporate. We had dinner several times with the some of the ship's officers. Somehow the discussion got to adding a new level above elite. They said there has been much talk lately about changing the entire system. Loyalty would be according to the total amount spent on the cruise. They even laughed and said "all those elites that stay in insides and don't spend an extra penny won't be happy". They feel it is the fairest way.

And I agree. Why shouldn't those who spend the most get the most loyalty perks?

And laundry also came up, along with the people who buy one drink package and get drinks in different bars, but what really got them going was the people who take the tips off. And it sounded like there are a lot. I can't see how people can screw over these hard working staff members.

Just returned from a cruise with a cousin that works at corporate. We had dinner several times with the some of the ship's officers. Somehow the discussion got to adding a new level above elite. They said there has been much talk lately about changing the entire system. Loyalty would be according to the total amount spent on the cruise. They even laughed and said "all those elites that stay in insides and don't spend an extra penny won't be happy". They feel it is the fairest way.

And laundry also came up, along with the people who buy one drink package and get drinks in different bars, but what really got them going was the people who take the tips off. And it sounded like there are a lot. I can't see how people can screw over these hard working staff members.

As I stated previously in the thread when you posted this the first time....

What great Caribbean Princess officers disparaging some of the very people who help keep the company profitable. Not cool. :(

It's like déjà vu all over again.

Sounds fair to me.

Must be nice to have bundles of cash. How about the "hard working" other passengers who save their money and give it to Princess. Are they not as valuable as the hard working crew? I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. It seems a common thing for people who have more money to feel superior to those with less. We are blessed to be able to cruise at all. No, we don't book suites. We normally book an OV or a balcony. I guess that makes us worth less in life and therefore we shouldn't be allowed perks when we finally make it to Elite status. Our upcoming 28 day cruise just isn't valuable compared to people such as yourself who cruise in suites and spend lots on other things onboard. BAH!!!

Take away all those folks who cruise in the inside cabins and Princess would fold in a heartbeat. Hopefully you won't feel the need to post this in a third thread. Twice is more than enough.

How about neither cruise credits given or days cruised counted on any voyage where the auto-gratuities were removed by the passenger?

I like a lot. If people feel it is OK to take off tips, no credit for the cruise. KARMA! Hopefully corporate looks at that.

Must be nice to have bundles of cash. How about the "hard working" other passengers who save their money and give it to Princess. Are they not as valuable as the hard working crew? I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. It seems a common thing for people who have more money to feel superior to those with less. We are blessed to be able to cruise at all. No, we don't book suites. We normally book an OV or a balcony. I guess that makes us worth less in life and therefore we shouldn't be allowed perks when we finally make it to Elite status. Our upcoming 28 day cruise just isn't valuable compared to people such as yourself who cruise in suites and spend lots on other things onboard. BAH!!!

Take away all those folks who cruise in the inside cabins and Princess would fold in a heartbeat. Hopefully you won't feel the need to post this in a third thread. Twice is more than enough.

Thrak, your measured responses to many Cruise Critic "controversies" has made you one of my favorite contributors. Your emotional response here does surprise me a bit.

Yes, I did suggest that passengers who book suites might be considered more profitable to Princess than those who book inside cabins. However, from your example I would also suggest that customers who book 28-day cruises have more value to Princess than those who book 7-day cruises--even multiples.

Let me suggest another analogy. Do you have any credit cards in your wallet that offer "rewards?" I certainly do. Not one of them gives me points for how often I use my card. All of them give me points per dollar charged. Yes, there are often promotions where I can get bonus points for using my card at gas stations or restaurants, but, fundamentally, it's based on my "spend."

I know that change is, pretty much, antithetical to most Cruise Critic participants. So, what if Princess looked at this? Multiple participants, here, have stated that there should be a higher tier once the Elite level is reached. What if Princess said, "That's a good idea?" Here's a proposal. Leave the current tiers and the counting of cruise credits or cruise days in place. Once Elite level has been reached, enroll that customer into this new program based on spend. Let's keep it simple $1.00 spent equals one point in your "Princess Elite Cruisers" account. Spend $500 for the fare on a 3- day cruise and you get 500 points. Spend $8000 for a 15-day cruise and you get 8000 points. Spend $78 for a dinner for two at SHARE and you get 78 points. Spend $160 for a port excursion and you get 160 points. Spend $39 for a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio in the dining room and you get 39 points.

So, what can you do with these points? I use a lot of my credit card rewards points to buy gift cards that I give out during the holiday season to service providers--e.g., the guy that cleans my pool, the guy who delivers my newspaper. What if you let these "Princess Elite Cruisers" convert points in their account to On Board Credit? Now, you have given something to the Elite cruisers that, to my way of thinking, is actually a tangible reward. From the point of view of the customer this is real, spendable money.

You know and I know that Princess does a lousy job of leveraging the volumes of data that they have on their customers. How hard would it be for them to promote cruises by targeting Elite cruisers with special offers--e.g., a 5000 Princess Elite Cruisers Points bonus for booking the 28-day South Pacific cruise?

What do you think?

Those who spend more should get more! When I spend 75k on my Lexus I am expecting more than a Ford Focus when I pay for business class air I better get more and do, when I stay in a five star hotel it better be nicer than motel six. And yes if I'm paying for a suite on Princess I expect more than just a larger room!

Elite suite passengers should get more their paying for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take away the perks that most people have earned during their years travelling on Princess & see what happens then.

Yes, the crew will suffer & in the long run when the crew starts to change cruise lines Princess will feel it in the long run.

Take away the perks that most people have earned during their years travelling on Princess & see what happens then.

Yes, the crew will suffer & in the long run when the crew starts to change cruise lines Princess will feel it in the long run.

If I were going to change how one got to status, I'd grandfather in those who already had it.

a ha so theres different levels of elites

How interesting and amusing.

Don't go jumping to conclusions. I'm not Elite. But if I pay for a full suite I expect a higher level of service.

Bookkeeping not that big of a deal... See Royal Caribbean or Celebrity's conversion to new systems. I could explain it here but it is easy to lookup. There was complaining at the time of conversion, but they have found a way to slow the progress up the loyalty status ladder. Now, you have to spend $$ to work your way up the system. HAL threw in a onboard spending factor, too.

So if Princess announces a conversion, look out for a run to get to 15, 25, or 50 cruises by the deadline date.

I like a lot. If people feel it is OK to take off tips, no credit for the cruise. KARMA! Hopefully corporate looks at that.

Still can't see why we can't just pay people what they are worth instead of having to make up their wages with tips? Never understood the compulsory tipping culture of some countries?

Thrak, your measured responses to many Cruise Critic "controversies" has made you one of my favorite contributors. Your emotional response here does surprise me a bit.

Yes, I did suggest that passengers who book suites might be considered more profitable to Princess than those who book inside cabins. However, from your example I would also suggest that customers who book 28-day cruises have more value to Princess than those who book 7-day cruises--even multiples.

Let me suggest another analogy. Do you have any credit cards in your wallet that offer "rewards?" I certainly do. Not one of them gives me points for how often I use my card. All of them give me points per dollar charged. Yes, there are often promotions where I can get bonus points for using my card at gas stations or restaurants, but, fundamentally, it's based on my "spend."

I know that change is, pretty much, antithetical to most Cruise Critic participants. So, what if Princess looked at this? Multiple participants, here, have stated that there should be a higher tier once the Elite level is reached. What if Princess said, "That's a good idea?" Here's a proposal. Leave the current tiers and the counting of cruise credits or cruise days in place. Once Elite level has been reached, enroll that customer into this new program based on spend. Let's keep it simple $1.00 spent equals one point in your "Princess Elite Cruisers" account. Spend $500 for the fare on a 3- day cruise and you get 500 points. Spend $8000 for a 15-day cruise and you get 8000 points. Spend $78 for a dinner for two at SHARE and you get 78 points. Spend $160 for a port excursion and you get 160 points. Spend $39 for a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio in the dining room and you get 39 points.

So, what can you do with these points? I use a lot of my credit card rewards points to buy gift cards that I give out during the holiday season to service providers--e.g., the guy that cleans my pool, the guy who delivers my newspaper. What if you let these "Princess Elite Cruisers" convert points in their account to On Board Credit? Now, you have given something to the Elite cruisers that, to my way of thinking, is actually a tangible reward. From the point of view of the customer this is real, spendable money.

You know and I know that Princess does a lousy job of leveraging the volumes of data that they have on their customers. How hard would it be for them to promote cruises by targeting Elite cruisers with special offers--e.g., a 5000 Princess Elite Cruisers Points bonus for booking the 28-day South Pacific cruise?

What do you think?

I like this idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about neither cruise credits given or days cruised counted on any voyage where the auto-gratuities were removed by the passenger?

Oh I like this one a LOT!!! :hearteyes:

A topic that I always have lots to say about! I too suspected the OP was on the April 12 Emerald Princess 29 day Sydney to LA. IMHO Princess has the best perks overall and we appreciate them very much!

We've had the "three day warning" cards quite often in the past but this was the first time for us that it was always 3 days and sometimes 4 but we probably put it in too late in the day when it took 4 days. Also there was no priority tendering but that never bothers us. I noticed that even the Suite/Elite line at Passenger Services was missing.

This did make me think just a little that the Elite benefits are occasionally being watered down a little due to too many Elites. This would be just the way it is if everyone got to Elite the same way but it seems to me there are way too many shortcuts to Elite lately. We got one cruise credit for 29 days yet this same ship did the 1 night Vancouver to Seattle cruise just 10 days later where many couples book two single occupancy inside cabins just to get two cruise credits each for less than 20 hours onboard.

It's I think it is important to always have a higher level to strive for. That doesn't have to mean a big expense to Princess though. Laundry usually seems to be the biggest problem on cruises with large numbers of Elite passengers.

Princess doesn't like to rock the boat. Any changes that mean taking something away will create lots of howling. With free laundry solve the problems, don't take it away, just introduce limits to avoid losing the perk all together. All laundry items have a price which is calculated and then refunded to Elites. Set a reasonable limit per Elite Passenger, for example $10 a day. Board a 7 day cruise and each Elite Passenger sees a $70 Laundry credit on their account. They can use it throughout the cruise however they want. This solves the problem of boarding with a bunch of laundry needing done due to a week of travelling before boarding.

Make the allowance generous enough that even this extra laundry won't consume all of your allowance unless maybe you are someone who puts everything in the laundry every time you wear it. Everyone is quick to mention hot climates but even then not everything you wear every day has to go to the laundry.

People frequently mention making a 1 bag per day per cabin limit. Okay but to me that is still over the top. Typically my wife and I put in about 1 bag every 3 days depending on the climate. If we leave it any longer we usually have to put in two bags.

A 5 day cruise and putting in laundry? Really? Maybe if you were on the road at least several days before boarding.

Getting everything cleaned before going home so you don't have to do laundry once home? Really! Abuse of the perk IMHO. If they cancelled the free laundry for Elites, which would you be more upset about: Losing the clean laundry to take home or having to do your own laundry numerous times while on a 28 day cruise? It is such a good perk while you are cruising why run the risk of ruining it to get your laundry cleaned just to take home?

Put some reasonable limits on the Elite Free Laundry, introduce Elite Plus and give them a higher laundry allowance and save Unlimited Free Laundry for a new "Merrill Stubing Class"! Most laundry delay problems solved, passengers no longer sending in laundry for their ten relatives, most Elite passengers still receiving a generous laundry allowance AND extra perks created to give to new higher classes of Elite. Win-Win!

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector

What nobody seems to acknowledge is that the Loyalty Commend tiers, with their OBC, already create an enhanced rewards option structure. I get $75 to spend on any perk I like, completely a la carte. Fresh flowers for the cabin and a bottle of wine? Presto laundry service? 60 hands of video poker? The world is my oyster.

What do you think?

Sorry. I have known people who actually felt they were superior because they had a bunch of money. The fact that they kept inheriting more and more and didn't earn it themselves didn't enter into the picture. They looked down on anybody who was, for instance, a waiter or a cook or anybody who did any sort of "labor". I guess it just got to me and the particular post to which I responded pushed a button. I hate it when I get snarky. Usually it only happens late at night when I'm in pain. Sadly, I don't even have that poor excuse as that wasn't the case with the referenced post.

As for your uber tier: I have never had a problem with making a new level to reward those who cruise a lot - and who do spend a lot. Your plan actually sounds reasonable and works fine for me. Sadly Princess likely won't handle it that well and, if they do implement something, may do it in a ham-handed manner that upsets a lot of loyal cruisers.

Most of the issues people have regarding their Elite benefits don't affect me as I am not yet Elite. One of these days we will reach that level but I don't think it will make us special. I'm actually usually a tad envious of the first time cruiser as they are getting the big WOW! of their first cruise.

I do like caribill's idea of not counting any days or cruises where the auto gratuity has been turned off. :evilsmile: