Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

58 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Combined washer dryers are horrible!!!  Plus I do not always want to dry everything. Hope the new ship is not this

I agree.

But I think there’s an option for Wash Only, although not sure how that would help if you DO want to dry SOME of your wash.

I guess the other option is to stick around and watch when it goes into Dry mode, and pause it to take some items out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, May B said:

I agree.

But I think there’s an option for Wash Only, although not sure how that would help if you DO want to dry SOME of your wash.

I guess the other option is to stick around and watch when it goes into Dry mode, and pause it to take some items out.

On the Viking Neptune now. Washers and dryers are separate. 

• Like 3

When we have been on cruises when the laundromat is busy, we have found that we can usually put in a load on our way to dinner, set a timer on our phones, and typically the timer goes off about the time we finish appetizers but before the mains arrive.  One of us runs and moves the laundry and then after dinner we pick it up on the way to the room. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

Also Deck 6 laundrette has been always busy on the current cruise, as deck 7 and 8 don't have laundrettes. I've given up wasting my time waiting and rinse out every couple of days. 

If we have a room on deck 6, we usually just go down to deck 5.  We also go early in the morning during breakfast.  Deck 3 has the fewest rooms to service and Deck 6 the most (since it service 7 and 8 as well).

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

I just leave it on the bed. It vaniches one day and reappears the next. Magic!

Unfortunately, my magician companion doesn't do those tricks!!  🙂

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

How does one know in advance if the ship is docked or tendered at a port? My itinerary only shows arrival and departure times, not this information. It would be useful to know if booking private excursions. Thanks.

The invoice you received from Viking has it.  Called "Guest Statement" with your booking number.

On usually about page 3 or 4 there is the itinerary with "planned" port arrival and departures.  There is a little symbol that looks like an anchor that is sometimes next to the port.  That means tender.

Note:  the times and whether you tender or not are also subject to change.

Example:

image.thumb.png.1ea59c1105451e55981befe77e8683f8.png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The invoice you received from Viking has it.  Called "Guest Statement" with your booking number.

On usually about page 3 or 4 there is the itinerary with "planned" port arrival and departures.  There is a little symbol that looks like an anchor that is sometimes next to the port.  That means tender.

Note:  the times and whether you tender or not are also subject to change.

Example:

image.thumb.png.1ea59c1105451e55981befe77e8683f8.png

Thanks! I found it. I actually was surprised to receive this since I booked with a TA and pay though them, but since I did I can see the anchor thingy.

38 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

As a longtime Viking customer I object to having to give tips $ to new cruisers.
How is this enforced onboard?
How do we know who is a new cruiser to give them our tips money?
How much $ are the tips?

Priceless. Thx! 

So I just got a notification from Australia Post that I’m expecting a parcel from Viking. We are going on the midnight sun in a month. 

It won’t arrive for a couple of days but I don’t like surprises and also am excited in anticipation. What would they post to us?

3 hours ago, THR said:

So I just got a notification from Australia Post that I’m expecting a parcel from Viking. We are going on the midnight sun in a month. 

It won’t arrive for a couple of days but I don’t like surprises and also am excited in anticipation. What would they post to us?

Sorry to quote myself as I don’t seem to be able to edit: if it’s just ticket related I’ll be a little annoyed with the local office who haven’t had any contact with us since 2022 - as it will just arrive before we depart Australia. 

4 hours ago, THR said:

Sorry to quote myself as I don’t seem to be able to edit: if it’s just ticket related I’ll be a little annoyed with the local office who haven’t had any contact with us since 2022 - as it will just arrive before we depart Australia. 

As for the timing, no need to worry if the package does not arrive before you depart on your adventure. There is nothing in the package that is required for boarding.  The personalized luggage tags can be gotten at the airport as you turn over your luggage for transfer to the ship or on the pier.  It is disappointing but not catastrophic. 

And, the same goes for the e-docs.  Nothing in the email is required to board the ship.  

On the other hand, don't forget your passport or to check its expiration (at least 6 months to go) or the number of blank pages required.  That would be catastrophic. ☹️ 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, THR said:

Leather tags and likely in a felt pouch.  Tags for your luggage drop off. That's what we received in mid April. 

Edited by Pushka

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Leather tags and likely in a felt pouch.  Tags for your luggage drop off. That's what we received in mid April. 

We've stopped getting the felt pouches since the COVID shutdown and so have all our friends!

Maybe they just do that for you Aussies!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Oh cool.  Do they do this for all their cruises?

Yes.  We put the red “leather” tags on when we leave home then add the ones with our cabin number when we arrive at our destination airport.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pushka said:

If you book air with Viking they also include identification stickers to wear at airport arrival.