Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

10 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Our TA requested the same and they failed to do so and now won’t provide the luggage labels (I’m not interested in the paper ones but as it’s our first Viking cruise I would have liked the leatherette ones)

Can you share specifically where it reflects your TAs request for the docs to go to you on the Guest Invoice?

I'm not home this week so we will have to depend on my memory.  

First, let's clarify for the entire audience, that I am talking about the invoice generated by Viking and not any invoice that might be generated by the travel agency.

Since invoices can be of different lengths it is hard to say which page.  It says something like "send documents to" and then gives name and address for each guest.  When I review the invoice prior to putting down the deposit, it is one of the bits of information I check for. 

As for getting the red luggage tags, the phone bank and chat are the lowest levels of customer service and they don't have all the answers. Try contacting Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Tell them your story and ask if they are able to send you a set of luggage tags.  Include your booking number and a telephone number in the email.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Our TA requested the same and they failed to do so and now won’t provide the luggage labels (I’m not interested in the paper ones but as it’s our first Viking cruise I would have liked the leatherette ones)

Can you share specifically where it reflects your TAs request for the docs to go to you on the Guest Invoice?

You might want to rethink the importance of the paper ones. They have the information needed to direct your luggage to your room and could prevent a delay in receiving your luggage in your cabin.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Under "Shipping Address - Final Documents" our names/addresses are listed although we have a TA.

Thanks.  I do see that.  The page may vary, depending on how long your Viking Invoice is.  On my documents it appears right after the Shore Excursions available date:

image.png.862e117300f820c743b6646b0d4d07b9.png

image.png.cbb80fb00750f1f9e714af779ffb5694.png

I always have seen it there but was unaware that this could be changed.  Thanks everyone for pointing out that it can.

I will contact our Travel Agent (who is part of a large agency) and see about getting that updated.

6 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

You might want to rethink the importance of the paper ones. They have the information needed to direct your luggage to your room and could prevent a delay in receiving your luggage in your cabin.

and @Stickman1990 There are two things sent by Viking before a cruise -- a pair of leatherette luggage tags with a paper insert for you to record your name and home address and two sets of 4 to 5 flexible plastic (not paper) luggage tags (one set per passenger) with the passenger's name and cabin assignment.  The leatherette tags are not that important given that once you've put them on your bags - you really don't need another set (I have a drawer with many brand new, still in their plastic wrapper, tags from previous cruises).  However -- the flexible plastic tags are VERY important.  You DO want them.  You put them on your bags after arriving at your final destination in baggage claim before you meet up with the Viking representative waiting for you there.   As lackcreativity wrote -- they are used by the Viking crew to move them to  your cabin. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

and @Stickman1990 There are two things sent by Viking before a cruise -- a pair of leatherette luggage tags with a paper insert for you to record your name and home address and two sets of 4 to 5 flexible plastic (not paper) luggage tags (one set per passenger) with the passenger's name and cabin assignment.  The leatherette tags are not that important given that once you've put them on your bags - you really don't need another set (I have a drawer with many brand new, still in their plastic wrapper, tags from previous cruises).  However -- the flexible plastic tags are VERY important.  You DO want them.  You put them on your bags after arriving at your final destination in baggage claim before you meet up with the Viking representative waiting for you there.   As lackcreativity wrote -- they are used by the Viking crew to move them to  your cabin. 

But it’s not a big deal if you don’t get the plastic tags with your room number. We misplaced ours before our last cruise and simply wrote in our room number on generic tags. Received our bags in our room when our room was ready after boarding. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Not everyone travels on Viking Air.

We always put ours on when we get to the pier and about to board the ship.  In fact, one time the Viking Rep wanted to put them on for us!

As for whether it matters or not, I don't think so.  Last time we got upgraded at the terminal (to our amazement).  They just gave us blank baggage tags (like when you check in at an airline desk), and we printed our names and new cabin number on them.   The bags arrived just the same time as with the pre-printed tags.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 12:52 PM, Peregrina651 said:

On the other hand, don't forget your passport or to check its expiration (at least 6 months to go) or the number of blank pages required.  That would be catastrophic. ☹️ 

Just booked a V cruise. 

Had wondered why my passport info was on guest info form, and not wife's.  

When speaking with a V cust service agent, I was informed that wife's passport would not be valid for the required 6 months. 

V had stored info, but did not populate form, for that reason.

A very attentive V agent.  Filed and mailed appl. the next day, and was received by passport office P.O. Box the following day.

Thanks Viking !

• Like 5

On 5/29/2023 at 12:44 PM, FetaCheese said:

Just booked a V cruise. 

Had wondered why my passport info was on guest info form, and not wife's.  

When speaking with a V cust service agent, I was informed that wife's passport would not be valid for the required 6 months. 

V had stored info, but did not populate form, for that reason.

A very attentive V agent.  Filed and mailed appl. the next day, and was received by passport office P.O. Box the following day.

Thanks Viking !

Also - make sure to check your air profile every time. The data in your GIF carries over into later bookings but not so for your Air Profile. That’s where you provide your seating preferences, known traveler number, preferred airline and frequent flier number. 

11 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Also - make sure to check your air profile every time. The data in your GIF carries over into later bookings but not so for your Air Profile. That’s where you provide your seating preferences, known traveler number, preferred airline and frequent flier number. 

Thanks, I checked air pref, and it was as you said, not pre-filled.  Same with dietary, cabin prefs.

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks, I checked air pref, and it was as you said, not pre-filled.  Same with dietary, cabin prefs.

I’ve never understood why this information isn’t preserved and applied to new bookings. Checking these profiles is on my standard Viking cruise checklist. 😎

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 10:13 PM, roothy123 said:

I remember in 2015 there was a lot of criticism of Viking for having those life jackets at the muster stations and not in the rooms. It makes much more sense, though, to NOT have them in the rooms. Peregrina, thanks for better stating when the muster drill is likely to be, as I didn't write that very well. Actually, I may not have made it clear that the 2 hour rule applies (I think, anyway) to the actual day of departure, regardless of whether you embark/leave the same day or are overnighting. The two hours allows time to get the ship cleared by the authorities; it's also a good time to do the muster drill, as we're all a captive audience!

Also, thanks for mentioning that the ship's safe is the best place for passports, as that question comes up a LOT on Cruise Critic boards. I cringe when I hear that people are thinking of taking theirs off the ship. I have a photo of mine on my phone, too, by the way.

Only time I take a current converter and/or plug adaptor is when I'm not sure I'll be able to use my electronics in a hotel pre-cruise. I was hoping to leave my plug adapter home this trip, but I'm not sure if I'll be OK in our airBnB place in Iceland for two days. Batteries may run down....

Has anyone used the "Mobile Passport" app for Americans to get through passport control quicker in U.S. airports? I'm going to try it on this trip, as I hear it works well. Oh, another recommendation would be to apply for Global Entry or at least TSA Pre-Check - well worth the money. Also, sometimes with ocean cruising, a little time is needed between the time the ship ties up and passengers are free to leave. Be patient! Often the ship has to get clearance before they let passengers off (checking manifests or passports etc.) Generally, though, in 2015 in the Med we found Viking to be quite good in letting us off very close to the time stated in the itinerary.

Thanks for the additions, corrections and comments; keep them coming!

I have used Mobile Passport & it does work well - keeps you from dealing with long que lines (as long as that airport has it also).  I have  TSA Pre-Check also, but it's only good in the U.S.  When mine is about to expire, I plan to get Global Entry.

Just now, GAWLT said:

I have used Mobile Passport & it does work well - keeps you from dealing with long que lines (as long as that airport has it also).  I have  TSA Pre-Check also, but it's only good in the U.S.  When mine is about to expire, I plan to get Global Entry.  Ed & Carol

I fo

Just now, GAWLT said:

I have used Mobile Passport & it does work well - keeps you from dealing with long que lines (as long as that airport has it also).  I have  TSA Pre-Check also, but it's only good in the U.S.  When mine is about to expire, I plan to get Global Entry.

I

Just now, GAWLT said:

Just a warning.  Viking has done this to my reservation twice now.  I use their Air Plus service to arrange routes and flights.  They have changed the bookings 4 times. Twice because the airlines has changed plane types or times, but twice because Viking has removed the booked flight from their contracted flights.  They tend to keep pushing my booking to much less preferred flights and times but tease at initial booking with decent routes and flight times.  They are unwilling to rebook me on the original routes because they claim those flights have been removed from Viking contract.  I wonder if it just better to book and pay for my own flights.  If there's one thing that keeps me from going on cruises, it's the flight itineraries.

Edited by leishirsute

20 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

Just a warning.  Viking has done this to my reservation twice now.  I use their Air Plus service to arrange routes and flights.  They have changed the bookings 4 times. Twice because the airlines has changed plane types or times, but twice because Viking has removed the booked flight from their contracted flights.  They tend to keep pushing my booking to much less preferred flights and times but tease at initial booking with decent routes and flight times.  They are unwilling to rebook me on the original routes because they claim those flights have been removed from Viking contract.  I wonder if it just better to book and pay for my own flights.  If there's one thing that keeps me from going on cruises, it's the flight itineraries.

Even Viking cannot prevent the airlines from canceling flights, changing their schedules and changing the contracts. Flying these days is worse than ever. When we booked our own flights, the airline cancelled both of our noon flights coming and going; we ended up on a very early morning flight out and the red-eye home (which meant hanging around for over 12 hours).  It doesn't matter who books the flights, the airlines run the show and will do what they want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Even Viking cannot prevent the airlines from canceling flights, changing their schedules and changing the contracts. Flying these days is worse than ever. When we booked our own flights, the airline cancelled both of our noon flights coming and going; we ended up on a very early morning flight out and the red-eye home (which meant hanging around for over 12 hours).  It doesn't matter who books the flights, the airlines run the show and will do what they want.

Agreed.  To set the record straight, I researched my original flight for this latest trip. Even though Viking Air Plus said the original flight was no longer in contract, I checked the Delta website and the original flight did not even exist anymore and Viking correctly put me on the closest matching flight.  So this change was on Delta  not Viking.  It would have been clearer had Air Plus stated the old flight did not exist rather than making it sound like Viking opted to take that flight off contract. I guess I'll stick with booking through Viking.

Edited by leishirsute
  • Like 1

WE also just got a "AIR SCHEDULE CHANGE".

Our main flight from Buenos Aires to NYC was changed.

We now are scheduled to fly in to Atlanta, GA. (10hour 20 minute flight) ,

instead of our choice of NYC.

Seat change(of course) to near the back of the plane, since not many seats are left.

WE are at 149 days out. Viking won't "ticket" us (pay for the flight) until 120 days out. Delta won't let us change seats until we are ticketed.

By that time, I think, we won't be able to pay for better seats: they will be taken. 😑

Edited by $hip$hape

1 hour ago, leishirsute said:

As others have pointed out, there are multiple layers of actors here.

That’s why I much prefer to book our own flights whenever possible. When we’ve booked flights through a third party, it adds a layer of complexity and reduces my control by another factor. The airlines may indeed change schedules, but at least they’re the only player I need to deal with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As respects flights and changes, it makes a huge difference if your “home” airport is a major airport.  Our international airport is LAX one hour away, we can fly almost anywhere with only one change of plane.

When we returned from Jordan last April, we got home sooner than some on our trip who left at the same time but due to their living where they do, in this case Florida and Missouri, we actually arrived at LAX before they arrived at their home airport despite the longer flight.  They had to change planes twice versus once for us.

I’m not throwing shade on those who live in more remote places, I’m just pointing out the reality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Even Viking cannot prevent the airlines from canceling flights, changing their schedules and changing the contracts

I had one flight last year that got changed three times in three months.   Most of the time the changes are trivial, like a departure change of 15 minutes, other time it is Oh Heck No level.

• Like 1

We had a flight that landed about 12AM cruise day.  Which meant we would either sleep at the airport or find a hotel, get to it, check in somehow, sleep for a few hours, and then go to the cruise terminal.

37 minutes ago, zalusky said:

We had a flight that landed about 12AM cruise day.  Which meant we would either sleep at the airport or find a hotel, get to it, check in somehow, sleep for a few hours, and then go to the cruise terminal.

You must have had Viking Air.  Another reason we do our own from California (usually SFO)

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

You must have had Viking Air.  Another reason we do our own from California (usually SFO)

Yep!  Our TA fixed it though but then we got a move over off and none of it matters till 2025.

• Like 2

Question: We don’t have access to our state room until 2pm.

On embarkation day, even before rooms are available, are we able to use the laundry. I would take some as carry on so we can start it before we get access to our room. (We’ve been travelling for 10 days already.)