Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

Steerpike58 - To answer the two questions you had from my posts:

One thing I have noticed, that's available on the MVJ website, is the ability to change your flights on your own.  

Once your flights appear, you have the opportunity to upgrade class, change seats or select a new flight. 

This was standard service, not Viking Air Plus.  We were thinking about coming into Vancouver a day early, but waited until about 60 days from sailing to see what Viking would offer.  To be honest, we might reschedule this cruise, so we weren't too worried about flights.  The flights were reserved in their system, but not ticketed.  Literally not in MVJ one day and there the next.  I'm not sure when they're ticketing, but I knew we had time. 

-----

On another cruise we're booked for, we were given flights that weren't optimum for us.  We were able to choose new flights that got us in a day early, on Delta, connecting in the US.  (We're going to Vancouver.)  There was an additional charge for the flights and they automatically added the deviation fee at checkout. 

The person I talked to at Viking Air suggested I look on MVJ to see if there were any flights I liked.  It's searchable (plug in your airlines) and easy to use.  We did have to pay an upcharge for the tickets and a deviation fee, but didn't have to pay for Air Plus - maybe because Viking already reserved the flights and they were available for us to play around with.  I was expecting to have to pay for Air Plus, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Maria

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

So changing your seat position to an exit row did NOT require you to have purchased Air Plus?  I got the impression you needed Air Plus to have any say over your flight arrangements, even down to the seat selection.  

Thanks! 

Correct. I was able to move us to an exit row and pay the upcharge on the airlines app. That was on Cathay Pacific. 

For the return from Bangkok after our upcoming October cruise,  (for which I called and got an email with our flights even though it hasn’t shown up yet on MVJ) I have already moved us on Delta to other coach seats and could move us and pay for exit row seats but I’m hopeful we can use miles or cash to move to Premium Economy and I am unable to do that on the app. I “chatted” with a Delta rep and was told that she couldn’t do it either that the agency (presumably Viking) who bought the ticket would have to do so. So I am waiting impatiently for the flights to appear in MVJ since “they” say you can now do that there. If they aren’t there by tomorrow, I am going to get our TA to work on it. 

For the outbound which is on Air Canada, I cannot do anything with the seats on their app. So like the return, if it’s not soon on MVJ I will start working another path. 

Just as an FYI, the flights that we have been “given” are the same flights I would likely have chosen if I was booking directly. We used Air+ once when there were many options and we wanted to be sure to be on American as we both had status on them at the time, which allowed us to upgrade ourselves. If we had of ended up with awful flights for this October then we would have likely added Air+ so we could work with Viking for alternative arrangements. 

We are on a cruise in October, and we were notified that dining reservations opened as of 8pm PT yesterday. We've been trying to make reservations (starting at about 8:00pm yesterday) at both Manfredis and 'Chef's Table' since then but the page tells us "Dining reservations are not available at this time" for both these venues.  We chatted with an online representative, who told us that all tables for 2 were already taken for both these restaurants. But they re-iterated that we were guaranteed 1 reservation at both venues and we were advised to keep checking.  Is this typical, and how does it work in general? 

31 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

We are on a cruise in October, and we were notified that dining reservations opened as of 8pm PT yesterday. We've been trying to make reservations (starting at about 8:00pm yesterday) at both Manfredis and 'Chef's Table' since then but the page tells us "Dining reservations are not available at this time" for both these venues.  We chatted with an online representative, who told us that all tables for 2 were already taken for both these restaurants. But they re-iterated that we were guaranteed 1 reservation at both venues and we were advised to keep checking.  Is this typical, and how does it work in general? 

Since the restart, the whole reservation procedure seems to not work as well as it did in the Before Times.  We don’t worry too much about it as we have never had trouble making them once onboard.  

We prefer to use the app or the stateroom tv to make them as we can then (or used to be able to) see the menus for all days for all venues and select which nights we want to eat where.  If you don’t like using apps or the TV there is a reservation desk usually set up near Guest Services.  If all else fails, go directly to the Maitre’d podium and ask if they can work you in. 

Hope you will enjoy your first Viking cruise!  

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

It's not typical, but right now there are so many people cruising that I'm not totally surprised you experienced this. And I'm guessing you're not in a suite or one of the room categories that gets to book dining earlier than others, and perhaps are allowed more than 1 reservation in each venue.   But assuming you received the "not available at this time" message before you specified anything (table for 2, particular restaurant, date, or whatever), I guess I'd assume that either there's a bug in the program or that all reservations are truly filled up at this time. Who knows, maybe they opened up early, or they actually open up the previous day, right after midnight, which would be booking date, just right after midnight!  (That's what another line does, although their system is triggered by EST not PT.) 

But yes, you are guaranteed reservations.  I'd keep checking periodically online, and once you board, check with someone on board about getting reservations.  And then if you get reservations but they're later or earlier than you want, or on days you don't want, I'd keep checking to see if you can tweak things.  It's been my experience that Manfredi's books up really, really fast, and that Chef's Table much less fast.  Tables for 2 for both are very popular, especially for Manfredi's.  Most popular times to eat appear to be around 7 or 7:30 for most North American passengers.  

• Like 2

And as Clay says, once onboard, you can check menus, so that's a plus.  Manfredi's seldom changes.  But at least last summer, Chef's Table changed every 3 days.  So you may prefer a particular menu.  Just don't be swayed too much by descriptions.  I don't like Asian that much, but one of the menus was wonderful.  And I don't like spices much, and was afraid I wouldn't like the "Route des Indes" menu.  But it was great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

IMHO, It’s typical that on-line reps only are trained for sales.

Once on board, you will find an accommodating and apologetic staff.

’nuff said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

It's been my experience that Manfredi's books up really, really fast, and that Chef's Table much less fast.  Tables for 2 for both are very popular, especially for Manfredi's.  Most popular times to eat appear to be around 7 or 7:30 for most North American passengers.  

We've always been able to get reservations we want once on board, particularly for the 2nd half of a cruise.  Even after a couple days, people start to cancel reservations (they began with the FOMO mentality - fear of missing out), as they realize it may not be what they wanted.

However, it is our experience in 10 Ocean Cruises that EVERY cruise has a completely different makeup and personality, including what is popular and what is not.  We've had an equal number of cruises where the hot place to go was Chef's Table, and we've had ones where Manfredi's was difficult.  Our last cruise (a few weeks ago), those 2 were about even, but The Restaurant was overflowing, and passengers were lining up (like for a Florida buffet!) twenty minutes ahead of time down the 2nd floor waiting to get in at 6 PM.  We went once only and at 7:30 and literally every table in that big restaurant seemed full!  Won't do that again, since, as expected, the staff couldn't handle that crowd, and the service was way too slow and quite frankly poor.  (Not hot meals, some people served and others not at a table, and more).  But we sort of expected that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

And I'm guessing you're not in a suite or one of the room categories that gets to book dining earlier than others, and perhaps are allowed more than 1 reservation in each venue. 

We got the last cabin on the ship, and it was one of the lower categories, so we only get 1 guaranteed reservation at the two mentioned restaurants.  It sounds like, from everyone's comments, that we should have no problems getting a reservation once on the ship, so we'll just have to roll with that. Thanks for all the responses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Onboard now. 
The pistachio raisin rolls have been removed from the menu. 

So disappointed!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!    😢😢😢😢

You might want to find the chef and/or restaurant manager.  They might be able to make you some.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Onboard now. 
The pistachio raisin rolls have been removed from the menu. 

So disappointed!!!!!

Love your signature!

FYI - we just got off a Viking Ocean Cruise.  As usual they had plenty of the great pistachio raisin rolls.  Have never seen a ship in 4 years and 10 cruises that didn't.

So - maybe it's just your ship.  Which ship and which itinerary are you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

NO!!!!!!!    😢😢😢😢

You might want to find the chef and/or restaurant manager.  They might be able to make you some.  

The attendants at the Living Room say that “Everyone is asking for them!” I’m wondering if pistachios have gotten too expensive? 

39 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

The attendants at the Living Room say that “Everyone is asking for them!” I’m wondering if pistachios have gotten too expensive? 

Or maybe they are a supply chain issue on your cruise. Which ship and where are you cruising?

8 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

We got the last cabin on the ship, and it was one of the lower categories, so we only get 1 guaranteed reservation at the two mentioned restaurants.  It sounds like, from everyone's comments, that we should have no problems getting a reservation once on the ship, so we'll just have to roll with that. Thanks for all the responses. 

We usually book inside rooms.  You'll be fine!

• Haha 1

I’m on the Jupiter, doing the Viking Homelands itinerary. 
greetings from Stockholm.  

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Love your signature!

FYI - we just got off a Viking Ocean Cruise.  As usual they had plenty of the great pistachio raisin rolls.  Have never seen a ship in 4 years and 10 cruises that didn't.

So - maybe it's just your ship.  Which ship and which itinerary are you?

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:
16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Or maybe they are a supply chain issue on your cruise. Which ship and where are you cruising?

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, CCWineLover said:

The Restaurant was overflowing, and passengers were lining up (like for a Florida buffet!) twenty minutes ahead of time down the 2nd floor waiting to get in at 6 PM.  We went once only and at 7:30 and literally every table in that big restaurant seemed full!  Won't do that again, since, as expected, the staff couldn't handle that crowd, and the service was way too slow and quite frankly poor.  (Not hot meals, some people served and others not at a table, and more).  But we sort of expected that.

Having to queue to get in  to The Restaurant.  I go on Viking to avoid queues.  Is this the new normal.

I hope not.  Is it because not enough staff?

1 hour ago, harbourside said:

Having to queue to get in  to The Restaurant.  I go on Viking to avoid queues.  Is this the new normal.

I hope not.  Is it because not enough staff?

This wasn’t true on our recent 28 day cruise on the Mars. We always ate at 6:00, the “line” was maybe 2 or 3 couples in front of us at the most, and we always got the same table with the same waiter (our choice). I would not have been happy with long queues. Guess I am spoiled!

27 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

This wasn’t true on our recent 28 day cruise on the Mars. We always ate at 6:00, the “line” was maybe 2 or 3 couples in front of us at the most, and we always got the same table with the same waiter (our choice). I would not have been happy with long queues. Guess I am spoiled!

That is why we were surprised.  Only time we've encountered that in 10 Viking Ocean cruises over the past 4 years.   Maybe it was just an oddly hungry crowd !!

3 hours ago, harbourside said:

Every sailing has its own vibe. I've been on a couple where there was a line into the Atrium waiting to get in at 6pm and I've been on others where the ship seemed to be full of late diners.  There is no way of knowing what it will be like until you get there.

However, the 6pm line moves quickly as there are plenty of staff to seat guests, leaving the podium staff to greet guests and assign tables.

• Like 1

We like to eat at 8 - 6 is much too early for us in the UK.  Don't recall any problem with that on our previous Viking cruises.  On our recent Azamara cruise the number from the UK and those from the US were about equal, plus of course some other nationalities.  Viking advertise extensively in the UK so I would imagine the number of Europeans onboard is increasing and that may ease the 6 o'clock rush.

A mix of nationalities onboard is great.

• Like 1

We're in the UK and we prefer eating at 6pm. Continental Europe tends to favour later meals, particularly the southern, warmer countries. Not sure how much, if any, marketing Viking do there. I've only ever heard UK and US/Canadian voices on my Viking trips.