New to Princess - WWYD??

Karlzmom

We have made a bit of a last minute decision to hop on the 9/23 Regal sailing out of NY. I see that PIF is later this month. Does Princess typically give steep discounts after PIF? The promo currently available isn't really all that inspiring - doesn't look like much of a discount to me and the OBC is minimal.

I saw the thread about "sip and sail" that starts on the 20th, but if I am understanding correctly that is for sailings next year, right? If so, what can I expect in the next couple of weeks on a Sept. cruise?

It looks like there are still a fair number of cabins available, is there a site that will clearly show available inventory?

Any thoughts about aft balconies on Regal? We've done aft on 2 Celebrity cruises and loved it. Also, is it correct that to not have a 3d passenger on a Pullman bed we need a deluxe balcony or better? A mini-suites that much better than a deluxe balcony? It doesn't look like you get much more for the price...maybe I'm missing something.

TIA for any help you care to offer.

Well now that I have figured out what PIF means (here on the Princess board everyone just says "final payment")

I have to start with what you seemingly just casually dropped in at the end: are you just cogitating over the third berth arrangements, or do you actually need a triple occupancy cabin? If so I would not wait for any possible sales; third berths are capacity controlled and not all cabins designated for three (or four) will be allowed to book more than two due to lifeboat capacity (among other factors). And most perks are only provided for the first two passengers in the cabin.

But as to the general now-or-wait decision: if you book early and the price drops for "new bookings only" as is Princess' policy, will you say "well at least we got the cabin we wanted" or be kicking yourself for not playing the odds and waiting. Personally I fall into the latter category. But if I was responsible for whether or not a third person berth is still available for my party I would absolutely book immediately.

Mini-suites have a full size sofa (that opens to a twin bed) a second TV and a tub in the bathroom. Deluxe balconies only add the mini-sleeper sofa to the standard balcony cabin (one TV, shower only).

Thank you for your quick response.

Sorry for the PIF confusion - carryover from another board for another cruiseline.

We need room for 3 [unless I can figure out how to convince the cats to watch an 11 year old for week ;)]

I guess I need to be in the "glad I was able to get a cabin" crowd as there is a large group of friends who onboard and we are very late in deciding we want to join them.

Unlike Celebrity, Princess allows TAs to discount fares. Not all do but if you can find one who does, you can save 10% or more. Also, on Princess, OBC from all sources are combined so if you own 100 shares or more of Carnival Corporation stock, are a current or past military, your TA offers OBC and/or you book with promotional OBC, it's all combined.

WWYD = what would you do

PIF = pay in full

TIA = thanks in advance

;)

FTLOG, everyone talks in steno these days and I can't keep up with all these acronyms, and the kicker is, I'm a stenographer. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

TY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your quick response.

Sorry for the PIF confusion - carryover from another board for another cruiseline.

We need room for 3 [unless I can figure out how to convince the cats to watch an 11 year old for week ;)]

I guess I need to be in the "glad I was able to get a cabin" crowd as there is a large group of friends who onboard and we are very late in deciding we want to join them.

If it's a balcony or a mini that can handle 3 then the 3rd bed should come down from the ceiling. When not in use it's just an outline on the ceiling but, in use, it does require a ladder to access. An 11 year old should love it. :)

To see what cabins are actually available, make a dummy booking on the Princess website for the cruise you want. You will be able to take a look at cabin availability in the various categories.

We have made a bit of a last minute decision to hop on the 9/23 Regal sailing out of NY. I see that PIF is later this month. Does Princess typically give steep discounts after PIF? The promo currently available isn't really all that inspiring - doesn't look like much of a discount to me and the OBC is minimal.

I saw the thread about "sip and sail" that starts on the 20th, but if I am understanding correctly that is for sailings next year, right? If so, what can I expect in the next couple of weeks on a Sept. cruise?

It looks like there are still a fair number of cabins available, is there a site that will clearly show available inventory?

Any thoughts about aft balconies on Regal? We've done aft on 2 Celebrity cruises and loved it. Also, is it correct that to not have a 3d passenger on a Pullman bed we need a deluxe balcony or better? A mini-suites that much better than a deluxe balcony? It doesn't look like you get much more for the price...maybe I'm missing something.

TIA for any help you care to offer.

Let me attempt to respond to some of your questions.

I think your first question is will there be last min. sales after the final payment date of July 10th? No one really knows. Suggest you search now for T.A.'s that may have some reduced fares or extra OBC

Aft balconies. They are deluxe balcony cabins which have a higher fare. Some decks have larger balconies then others. Almost all other balconies on the Regal are small 9'x4'. Larger balcony cabins tend to sell faster. Check out the obstructed view balcony cabins on deck 8. They have lower fares. Find them on the Princess web site by selecting interior cabins.

Cabin inventory: Go to the Princess web site and start a cruise booking. You can see most of the available cabins. It will not show cabins that are on hold by certain T.A.'s.

You can not expect that there will be a further sale for a September cruise in the next few weeks. But, it doesn't hurt to wait until the 20th. With Sip & Sail promotions base fares are usually higher.

3rd passenger: Balcony cabins have an upper berth that pulls down from the ceiling. Lower beds need to be in the twin configuration. Deluxe balcony cabins are slightly larger, and have a 2 seat sofa that pulls out into a bed. Mini suites have are about 40% larger have a larger sofa bed, larger bath with tub & shower.

OBC - If you are active or a vet. check out the Princess Military Benefit on line. If you own Carnival Corp. stock in any account look up the Carnival Stockholder Benefit on line.

FTLOG, everyone talks in steno these days and I can't keep up with all these acronyms, and the kicker is, I'm a stenographer. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

TY.

FTLOG? Lemme guess. For the love of God??? See, it's the new American puzzle.

Jim

Once you decide to buy you can get reductions up until final payment. If the price goes down after that it is unlikely (some people get higher category cabins or OBC but they probably won't just reduce your price).