Holland America Hotel Packages

I've done both with and without the packages. I prefer the package in a place like Venice that I have never traveled to. I am traveling solo and it is nice and worry free to have this all taken care of after a transatlantic flight . It feels good to know that someone is on the other end and will take care of the details . Also it seems that with a package I was boarded on the ship sooner with the others. Last time I booked the pre-cruise package was in 2004 Amsterdam in Rio de Janeiro. Checking out the October 2018 Venice departure to the states. :)

We have done it both ways. Sort of. In 2009 I did the Oosterdam repo San Diego to Rome with a friend. We were both traveling solo, different travel agents. She wanted to stay in Rome 3 days at the end, and wanted to do the HAL package. My TA arranged a different hotel in the heart of Rome, not the outskirts, similar tours, and transfers, for $700pp less than the HAL package. In 2012, traveling with my sister, we did 24 days from Venice on Nieuw Amsterdam. Same travel agent booked hotel and transfers. I have no idea what the savings were,but we were at the same hotel that HAL was using, Bonvecchiatti. The next year we went back, but this time I made all the arrangements. I booked the Hotel Olimpia, we did the bus transfer from the airport, and dragged our suitcases across Piazzale Roma to the hotel. (That was the trip that convinced us to travel with carryons only).

I would research both HAL hotels on this site and Tripadvisor. The Bonvecchiati is several building connected, and not all floors can be reached by elevator. And one elevator was about the size of an airplane lavatory. Our room was smaller than most inside cabins. Barely room to walk around the king bed. Hotel Olimpia, we had a huge room, but on an upper floor in the annex with no elevator. EM

We are on the Oct 14, 25 day cruise to Ft. Lauderdale on the Westerdam. We booked a hotel on the Giudecca canal that will arrange for a private water taxi from the airport for 110 Euros. There are 4 of us, and we have exclusive use of the boat. Out hotel has its own dock, and the staff will be waiting for us to pull our bags off of the boat and take them into the hotel. If you use the public water taxis from the airport, they will drop you at the nearest dock to your hotel, but not guaranteed. You may have to drag your luggage for quite a distance to reach your hotel. That's why it is important to book a hotel that has it's own dock, and will coordinate with you on the private water taxis. We have the same deal a week later to get to the ship.

A relatively new feature at Marco Polo Airport is a people mover moving walkway from the baggage claim area to the water taxi docks, which is quite a long hike.

I am crusing out of Rome (Civitaveccia) next april. I fortunately receive a special gift as I booked a Neptune Suite. I am very anxious to try this for free. Considering the transfert to Civitaveccia and the 2 night stay at the Savoy hotel (uphill Spanish steps) it's a very good deal !

With this special amenity, we are going to be able to visit the Colosseum at night with a private guide.

Wish you the best decision

Holacanada

I am crusing out of Rome (Civitaveccia) next april. I fortunately receive a special gift as I booked a Neptune Suite. I am very anxious to try this for free. Considering the transfert to Civitaveccia and the 2 night stay at the Savoy hotel (uphill Spanish steps) it's a very good deal !

With this special amenity, we are going to be able to visit the Colosseum at night with a private guide.

Wish you the best decision

Holacanada

The Savoy is more than just uphill from the Spanish Steps. It's about a 10 minute walk from there to the top of the Steps. I'd walk past it every night on my way from the Westin down to Centro Storico if I went that way rather than Via Tritone. Always had a bunch of tour busses in front of it.

We have decided to do the HAL package, we compared prices and it is a bit pricier than if we booked the hotel and made our own arrangements, but having everything taken care of seems worth the extra money. We will be tired from the flight and having someone helping us will be a nice.

We have decided to do the HAL package, we compared prices and it is a bit pricier than if we booked the hotel and made our own arrangements, but having everything taken care of seems worth the extra money. We will be tired from the flight and having someone helping us will be a nice.

That's two less things you have to worry about!

Have an Excellent cruise.

I did the HAL package for my recent cruise and was very pleased. Not only did they have to worry about the reservations and transportation issues, when my suitcase turned up missing, the HAL agent at the hotel took charge and acted as my advocate with the airline and got my bag to me that evening instead of waiting until the morning delivery run the airline usually makes.

They will generally have copies of the health questionnaire at the HAL table in the hotel, which helps speed up the process once at the terminal.

In Seattle I was using a cane due to a knee injury and they sent me and my family on the handicapped bus. They have special handling through the terminal and go a bit earlier to avoid the crowds so you don't have to navigate walkers and canes around huge masses of people.

We have booked a Baltic Cruise with the Signature Experience of 2 nights accommodation pre cruise in Copenhagen in 2018. Does anyone know if breakfast is included at pre cruise hotel stays?

I think it depends on the hotel. It was included when we were in Buenos Aires and Amsterdam, but not in Seattle.

• 1 month later...

How are the transfers and the needed directions to your hotel and then again at the hotel to the airports handled at the airport on arrival and then at the hotel? Are you given written directions or is there someone stationed at the baggage claim? Who helps you at the hotel? We are cruising to Sydney, Australia and have purchased the post package through a PCC (our first time doing this kind of arrangement). Looking for information from someone who has experienced this. Thank you in advance.

How are the transfers and the needed directions to your hotel and then again at the hotel to the airports handled at the airport on arrival and then at the hotel? Are you given written directions or is there someone stationed at the baggage claim? Who helps you at the hotel? We are cruising to Sydney, Australia and have purchased the post package through a PCC (our first time doing this kind of arrangement). Looking for information from someone who has experienced this. Thank you in advance.

You'll be given written instructions while onboard, just like normal. Your luggage tags will be for pax going to the HAL hotel. I can't remember if you have to pick up your luggage shoreside or if it will be put on the bus for you; that may depend on customs (if any). At the hotel, there will probably be a HAL rep at a desk in the hotel lobby. That individual can provide advice or book additional tours.

For transfer from the hotel to the airport, you'll again receive written instructions as to when to gather in the hotel lobby and how the luggage will be picked up. On the bus, you'll be asked which airline so that you will be dropped off at the correct terminal (if more than one terminal). I can't remember if they help you with your luggage to the check-in or not; I'm thinking they don't.

For pre-cruise hotel stays, a HAL rep will meet you at the baggage claim, after your flight, and direct you to the bus/taxi to get you to your hotel. Sometimes, there is a rep at a station just beyond baggage claim. It will depend on the airport. I've experienced both.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

The few times we've used HAL's arrangements we were greeted by or found a HAL representative in the baggage claim area. They have a list of passengers and will direct you to a curbside area where a bus will take you and your luggage to the hotel. At the hotel HAL usually sets up a desk where you check in and they'll tell you what the arrangements are for transfer to the cruise terminal the next morning. How the morning is handled will depend on how many people are staying at the hotel under HAL arrangements. We've had everything from two or three bus loads with a 100 more or less passengers to a small mini-bus with maybe 20. Our luggage to the ship has either been loaded on the bus or in a separate truck.

We are fairly independent travellers. We have never used HAL's hotel or transfers,not those of other cruise lines. We don't even bother looking anymore. A word of advice. If you do book a hotel through the cruise line check to make sure that it is in a tourist area if this is what you want/expect. Especially in a larger city on a Friday/Sat/Sun night.

I am sure that the cruise line service is good and there are many people who feel more comfortable doing this.

Thank you everyone for helpful information. This our first experience using Hal's hotel packages pre in San Diego and post in Sydney, Aust. We have in past worked through a TA and it worked well for us. Hope we have the same results with the PCC. So far we are very happy with our PCC.

We did the Pre cruise hotel in Seattle with all the transfers. It is just nice to have that all taken care of. It worked great and was very happy we did. We did do our own air. It just works for us.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HAL's Pre-cruise Hotel Package M & G at the airport is unbelievable. I am at Logan Airport in Boston at Baggage Claim, no HAL rep is in site, while hopefully waiting for my bags to appear. Suddenly, a woman dressed in the customary uniform of a HAL shore staff member appears and asks me if I am "so and so". How did she find me and from where did she suddenly appear? She assisted with luggage, got me to my transportation to the Fairmont Copley Plaza, and even made a second appearance after my cruise at Logan inquiring about my cruise!

And, I have enjoyed just as good of experiences elsewhere, i.e. Auckland, Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, etc.

From my experience, HAL has gotten these pre-cruise, post-cruise arrangements arranged excellently!