Why aren't more people active in HAL Roll Calls?

3redheads

Could the apparent lack of activity have something to do with how large an organized group is aboard, the manner in which HAL markets sailings, and the CC "suggestion" that each sail date has a separate Roll Call?

My upcoming Koningsdam cruise was marketed with three (four if one counts the week marketed as part of the previous month's sail date) different sail dates of varying length. One date (with a large group aboard) never developed a Roll Call, the second has 49 posters, and the third, 87 (Go figure!). Granted some overlap, the combined numbers of posters on the second and third sail date, all of whom will be aboard at some point during the 30 day duration of the second sail date, would add up to at least 100+.

Confused? Considering the number of "Am I in the right place?" queries appearing on the Roll Calls, so are many newcomers to CC.

The Fall Westerdam Med and TA was marketed as five different sailing in the same five week period, two of which have no Roll Call, the remaining at 61, 67, and 49 posters respectively.

Unless newcomers are savvy enough to post on ALL Roll Calls covering the dates on which they will be aboard, they may miss out on port advice, tour opportunities, or just getting to know fellow cruisers.

I agree that the suggestion that each sail date have a separate posting is confusing. IMO the roll calls should be the same as the bookings. If someone is sailing from date a to date b, that should be the roll call and it shouldn't matter if people are disembarking/boarding in the middle. The people doing that should have their own roll call from date a to date b.

Kazu, I couldn't agree with you more. Fours years ago on the Veendam we met some very nice people. We have sailed with one couple numerous times these past four years and since we live reasonably close to each other have lunch together from time to time. We are also sailing next August with two wonderful women that we met on that "Historic Coast" cruise. Meet & Greets can be wonderful chances to meet friends you haven't met yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not go to Roll calls but my late DH and I met some fabulous people on our cruises by just socializing around the ship. One does not have to do M &U G and Roll Calls to meet great people in their travels. I met some wonderful ne w (to me)folks on my recent Veendam cruise . I sometimes had a beverage in Neptune Lounge and could enjoy chatting with other pax who were in there. Easy enough to meet folks on a cruise ship if one is so inclined.

Don't judge all roll calls by one bad experience. Sad that one couple turned you off roll calls and meeting the rest of ther roll call.

This is not typical roll call behaviour - at least not on the ones we have been on. No one typically discusses finances - And, if I were to encounter this, I wouldn't let the "one bad apple" keep me from enjoying and meeting the "rest of the barrel".

We have a lot of friends that we would have never met who we enjoy cruising with if it were not for roll calls and meet and greets.

I thank my lucky stars every day for meeting them.

100% Agree!

We've met some wonderful people on Roll Calls and have made lots of friends who we have sailed with multiple times. Friends who live all over the U.S. as well as Canada! We also enjoy sharing Private Tours with others and meeting up for Happy Hour and Wine Tastings, etc.! We are sailing in October with two couples we met on Prinsendam in 2014 and have sailed with since and very much looking forward to seeing them again!

And we lined up a great pre-cruise tour and a transfer from Rome to the port for that 2014 Prinsendam sailing via that roll call. Sure, some times the roll calls turn out to be flat (like ours for upcoming September Zuiderdam sailing) but signing on and checking it out is certainly worth it.

I agree that the suggestion that each sail date have a separate posting is confusing. IMO the roll calls should be the same as the bookings. If someone is sailing from date a to date b, that should be the roll call and it shouldn't matter if people are disembarking/boarding in the middle. The people doing that should have their own roll call from date a to date b.

It would almost be easier if Cruise Critic just set up a Roll Call Thread for each sailing, too, instead of cruisers having to set one up. That way it would be easier to find. (I know...more bandwidth and work for someone.)

Some folks simply linger around waiting because they do not know how to "start" a roll call...and others (maybe even me?!? :o) were were so excited to get ours started that I forgot to put the YEAR of the sailing in the Roll Call title...and there is no way to correct it!

Anyway....for whatever reason....our HAL roll call really IS the slowest one we've experienced in our 20 cruises!

Doesn't make the wait any less exciting though! :D

It would almost be easier if Cruise Critic just set up a Roll Call Thread for each sailing, too, instead of cruisers having to set one up. That way it would be easier to find. (I know...more bandwidth and work for someone.)

Some folks simply linger around waiting because they do not know how to "start" a roll call...and others (maybe even me?!? :o) were were so excited to get ours started that I forgot to put the YEAR of the sailing in the Roll Call title...and there is no way to correct it!

Anyway....for whatever reason....our HAL roll call really IS the slowest one we've experienced in our 20 cruises!

Doesn't make the wait any less exciting though! :D

You have an error in the title of your roll call? Just red triangle your first post and, since you started the thread, Host Walt will amend the title if you tell him what you miss. I have found him very helpful in this regard - whether it's changing a title, merging threads, whatever.

And waiting is still exciting as is planning - enjoy :)

You have an error in the title of your roll call? Just red triangle your first post and, since you started the thread, Host Walt will amend the title if you tell him what you miss. I have found him very helpful in this regard - whether it's changing a title, merging threads, whatever.

And waiting is still exciting as is planning - enjoy :)

Thanks, Kazu!

Appreciate the tip! I will give it a shot!

I believe I tried to make a correction one other time, and the "rules page" said they would not change typing mistakes or something like that.....but maybe they would help getting the YEAR on our roll call thread!

:)

Thanks, Kazu!

Appreciate the tip! I will give it a shot!

I believe I tried to make a correction one other time, and the "rules page" said they would not change typing mistakes or something like that.....but maybe they would help getting the YEAR on our roll call thread!

:)

They won't correct typos in your post but Host Walt is very kind about fixing titles. He fixed one of ours on a roll call when we wanted to change the name and when my finger slipped on the Future Cruise Listing he fixed that right away.

In the old days, you had 20 minutes to fix your thread title. I doesn't work that way with this new format. GRRR.

And we lined up a great pre-cruise tour and a transfer from Rome to the port for that 2014 Prinsendam sailing via that roll call. Sure, some times the roll calls turn out to be flat (like ours for upcoming September Zuiderdam sailing) but signing on and checking it out is certainly worth it.

Yes, we did!:) Really enjoyed Orvieto and Civita de Bagnoregio! Great day!:)

Yes, we did!:) Really enjoyed Orvieto and Civita de Bagnoregio! Great day!:)

Looks like you are sailing Oosterdam San Diego to Fort Lauderdale - we are looking at that itinerary for early January 2019 on Volendam - after attending a wedding in Santa Barbara New Years Eve 2018 - an enjoyable way to get back to the east coast - followed maybe by Amtrak back north -- anything to stay out of airplanes as much as possible.