Why aren't more people active in HAL Roll Calls?

3redheads

So - it is indeed optional to what level of participation you want.

I separate Roll Calls from Meet & Greet. If you just say "Roll Call Only" you are not tagged for the Meet & Greet. Also if it is an "autopost" I will note "no MeetGreet?" Absolutely no pressure to attend Meet & Greet but we need a head count so we can ask the ship for the "right size space". I also welcome/acknowledge each person joining the Roll Call. I think this important so one does not feel ignored. My experience is that if someone starts an Event Spreadsheet with Private Excursions there will be a lot more posts since many are interested in Private Excursions. On my current expansive spreadsheet I have told others that for the cruise I don't have the time/energy to track ship board activities and they can do some tracking/organizing themselves. So participation in any activity is purely optional.

Peter

I think there are several reasons for the less active roll calls.

First, the number of passengers on a ship. HAL ships carry less passengers there ships of comparable size on other lines. If the ship's capacity is 1300 (i.e.; the Rotterdam and other is the same class), there are less people who may be CC members that are interested in a roll call.

Second, many HAL passengers are experienced cruisers and have been to many different ports. There is no interest in a roll call where all the questions are about what to do in a port or someone trying to set up a private excursion.

That being said, I usually join my roll call. The most interesting meet and mingle I have ever been to was my Rotterdam January 2016 get together.

There were about 16 of us and we all have been cruising for years (and no, we weren't all "nearly dead," ages were from the 30s- 70's). We all had been on a wide range of cruise lines, knew the history of many of the lines, and had a lively discussion of cruising, ships, current changes, and what are theories were on the evolution of cruising.

We were scheduled for an hour. We started out with a member of the cruise director's staff in attendance. As the discussion got more lively, I noticed the staff person discretely talking into his walkie talkie (or whatever it is called that they use).

Slowly, ship's officers started to appear and started to partcipate with their stories.

LOL- we were there for three hours.

................................................As the discussion got more lively, I noticed the staff person discretely talking into his walkie talkie (or whatever it is called that they use).

Slowly, ship's officers started to appear and started to partcipate with their stories.

LOL- we were there for three hours.

Just a heads up ;) as to your nice story; On HAL, all supervisors, managers and Dept. heads carry small light-gray-colored cell phones; for a couple of years now, those on Amsterdam (and perhaps other ships by now), carry interactive smart phones which are nice because you can text each other also. On some ships, asst. dining room managers have begun wearing "U.S. Secret Service-style" ear pieces connected to radios so that they can communicate with each other

Crew assigned to Deck Dept. (officers, security, the bosun and some of the "boatmen"/lifesaving attendants) carry Motorola UHF/VHF portable radios, In port, the CD (frequently at the gangway) as well as the shorex team carry portable radios. HK and the Front Office carry smaller, yellow-colored, portable radios

While the HAL ships are smaller, I think it really depends on who is onboard and the itinerary that make for roll call activity.

our roll call on the Prinsendam a few years ago had over 5,000 posts. So many that CC closed it :(. After the cruise was over as people were still connecting. We had around 100 on our roll call. With 840 onboard (full ship), that's not a bad percentage.

Everyone came to the Meet and Greet anxious to finally meet each other.

I agree with SFO Peter that having some type of spread sheet can help. that way, we ignore the constant repeats of who's on what, relisting the Meet and Greet listing and can just focus on the cruise, our activities and getting to know each other.

Our current roll call is moving along - we have some great people that I am looking forward to meeting and others that I am looking forward to reconnecting with ;)

I would NEVER have met these people without the roll call vehicle other than by chance. Friends for life, future cruise companions that are a joy. Roll calls are great IMO.

My current Roll Call (Koningsdam TA) is quite active and focused. Previous Roll Calls (Cunard & HAL) were quieter and, frankly, a little strange. I have come to the conclusion that the Roll Call is a good indicator of the type of people you are going to meet. lol

We're booked on a Koningsdam TA in fall of 2018 and there is so little activity that I rarely even look anymore. In comparision the Celebrity TA for next April that we are on has over 1300 posts already and at least 1000 of those were before the one year out time....so I find it strange too.

I like roll calls mostly for finding people to share tours. We've met some good friends this way too!

Oh, and nothing wrong with a slot pull either!!:D:D:D

Just a heads up ;) as to your nice story; On HAL, all supervisors, managers and Dept. heads carry small light-gray-colored cell phones; for a couple of years now, those on Amsterdam (and perhaps other ships by now), carry interactive smart phones which are nice because you can text each other also. On some ships, asst. dining room managers have begun wearing "U.S. Secret Service-style" ear pieces connected to radios so that they can communicate with each other

Crew assigned to Deck Dept. (officers, security, the bosun and some of the "boatmen"/lifesaving attendants) carry Motorola UHF/VHF portable radios, In port, the CD (frequently at the gangway) as well as the shorex team carry portable radios. HK and the Front Office carry smaller, yellow-colored, portable radios

Always enjoy your "inside baseball" posts. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

HAL roll calls generally are inactive. On our Sept. 20 Zuiderdam sailing there are just 5 - with maybe a total of 20 posts.

The longer itineraries, particularly T/A's starting with several ports in Europe are a lot more active - but still nothing like Celebrity or Cunard or Royal Caribbean.

HAL roll calls generally are inactive. On our Sept. 20 Zuiderdam sailing there are just 5 - with maybe a total of 20 posts.

The longer itineraries, particularly T/A's starting with several ports in Europe are a lot more active - but still nothing like Celebrity or Cunard or Royal Caribbean.

... or NCL or Princess or Carnival.

Ha! That kind covers the gamut.....guess I'll just get used to fewer posts....our Alaska roll call, after 15 months was about 4 pages long.....hopefully our Koningsdam TA roll call will pick up once we get past the one year mark...but not counting on it....

This topic is something that I've wondered about as we prepare to take our first HAL cruise in Feb 2018. Previously we've only cruised Disney (we're 60-somethings) and have enjoyed the active CC message boards, Facebook groups & DIS boards for each cruise. Even though we're no spring chickens, we're active on social media and love hearing about and hearing from others who will be on our sailing. I'm getting a little worried that the ship will be full of oldsters who don't go on boards like this or Facebook! We were aware of the stereotypical demographics before choosing HAL, and I'm sure we'll love the cruise. It just seems odd in this day & age to have nothing on FB, and virtually no participation on the board for our cruise on CC.

This topic is something that I've wondered about as we prepare to take our first HAL cruise in Feb 2018. Previously we've only cruised Disney (we're 60-somethings) and have enjoyed the active CC message boards, Facebook groups & DIS boards for each cruise. Even though we're no spring chickens, we're active on social media and love hearing about and hearing from others who will be on our sailing. I'm getting a little worried that the ship will be full of oldsters who don't go on boards like this or Facebook! We were aware of the stereotypical demographics before choosing HAL, and I'm sure we'll love the cruise. It just seems odd in this day & age to have nothing on FB, and virtually no participation on the board for our cruise on CC.

Speaking only for myself. One of the reasons I don't go go roll calls is because so much there is about tour sharing and I know I am not going to sign up for the r oll call group tours.. It's a waste of myt ime to participate and th e time of all those who are serious about sharing expenses of tour.s. I wouldn't want to mis lead them into thinking I would participate when I know I likely would not.

Another reason is I don't understand people posting for the world to read when they will be travelilng. I see no need to advertise that information on an internet forum or on Face book either. Just my personal choice. I get a house sittter but not every one does.

I share a portion of sail7seas thinking.

I do join Roll Calls because I am ever hopeful of meeting kindred souls during a cruise and have done so in the past. I also join because I learn from the experiences of others, both seasoned as well as new cruisers.

I posted a lament about Roll Calls of today on the "Whatever Happened To..." Message Board that has drawn little attention.

Roll Calls of 2017 are different than Roll Calls of 2002 were when I first joined CC. But, then, why am I surprised? I/we are different as well.

Many do not like to advertise on Face Book that there home will be vacant and vulnerable during the cruise. FB gives too much info whereas Cruise Critic can be more discreet.

On our Roll Calls we always discourage using last names or other info with too much info.

With 20 Hal cruises in a row I never witnessed a FB Meet & Greet on a Hal ship. Maybe they happen but I haven't seen them.

I always tell people I am not a technophile and I have no reason to know (or care) what devices people are using to contact each other.

I take from your wink what you think I have made up a nice "story."

I signed up for my first Roll Call and have a feeling it will be the last time I'll do so. Saying participation is lack-luster would be giving it too much credit. Other than another person and myself trying to drum up bodies for shore excursions (without much success) there is very, very little interest. I'm waiting to see what HAL posts for excursions on the back end of the cruise and may just opt out all together. :(

And this is the reason group organizers ask for cabin numbers -- so they can do as kazu did and deliver reminders to everyone's cabins. When I ask for cabin numbers, I have people email them to me, and I never give those cabin numbers out.

ANOTHER reason I will not sign up fo r Roll Calls. I don't wish to give my cab in number to people I have never met. JMO.

I always tell people I am not a technophile and I have no reason to know (or care) what devices people are using to contact each other.

I take from your wink what you think I have made up a nice "story."

Not really, I thought you relayed a nice event on board and I made an attempt to 'splain what the person you saw might have been using to communicate with other staff, that's all

ANOTHER reason I will not sign up fo r Roll Calls. I don't wish to give my cab in number to people I have never met. JMO.

I have always signed up in roll calls, have signed up for Meetings, for slot pulls, and have NEVER given my cabin number.

Why not? :confused:

Some people choose not to for privacy reasons. Those that don't wish to, don't have to. I ask people to email me theirs (held in confidence) to deliver reminders/invitations for the meet and greets. If they choose not to, they just don't get an invite. It's no biggie. They are still welcome to come to the meet and greet - they just don't get the reminder ;)

Another reason is I don't understand people posting for the world to read when they will be travelilng. I see no need to advertise that information on an internet forum or on Face book either. Just my personal choice. I get a house sittter but not every one does.

Not trying to sell you on joining roll calls but one of the reasons I DO like them on Cruise Critic is the anonymity.....no real names, no addresses.....not sure how anyone would know when I would be travelling...of course Facebook is a different story....

You are correct. I have found roll calls on HAL very good especially on VoV & South Pacific cruises. Celebrity is where people are reluctant to discuss the cruise. On a recent Celebrity cruise there were over 3000 posts, mostly about people's personnel lives. I actually found reading the posts very humorous; especially what people are willing to give up or expose about themselves.

Disclaimer: I don't have Facebook, tweet, snapchat, or smart phone. I do have a dumb phone with rotary dial. :)

I am on a Celebrity Roll Call now. It is strictly business. All about the cruise, ports, organized private tours, helpful information, M&G, Connections Party sponsored by Celebrity, etc. And, yes, a slot pull for anyone interested, but no pressure to join. The personal life conversation has been very little, recently about a few in the path of Hurricane Harvey. Over 800 posts. However, I don't mind reading about people's lives. Gives me a chance to get to know people and I love meeting people. To each his own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I understand that concern. When I organize the Meet and Greet, I offer to deliver reminders to those who want them and have them email me their cabin numbers. I do make it clear that they do not have to do that in order to come to the Meet and Greet. It works out for all.

You are correct. I have found roll calls on HAL very good especially on VoV & South Pacific cruises. Celebrity is where people are reluctant to discuss the cruise. On a recent Celebrity cruise there were over 3000 posts, mostly about people's personnel lives. I actually found reading the posts very humorous; especially what people are willing to give up or expose about themselves.

Disclaimer: I don't have Facebook, tweet, snapchat, or smart phone. I do have a dumb phone with rotary dial. :)

No idea which Celebrity roll calls you have been a part of but of the 8-10 I have participated in none of them were dominated by personal info.... including the one I am currently part of... The discussion is about the cruise, joining tours, saving on cruise fares, hotels pre and post cruise etc.... I wish the HAL roll calls were the same, if for no other reason than to find people to join in tours...alas that is not the case.