Why aren't more people active in HAL Roll Calls?

3redheads

This thread is amusing and sad at the same time. Someone "bossing" other passengers around is a huge turnoff. And I don't get spreadsheets or organizing and reorganizing other people's affairs.

We've met the loveliest people on private tours which has been the focus of most roll calls.

On a long cruise where we are taking mostly private tours and there are lots of planned activities, a spreadsheet that is converted to PDF form and stored on iBook can be invaluable. On ship's tours you have your tickets that can serve as a reminder of what date, what tour, what time, what meeting place, what currency and what cost, whether cash or CC. You can access the spreadsheet without internet after it has been converted.

Private tour info has to be organized privately and a well designed spreadsheet does the trick.

We stopped. Too much personal info. We don't care that someone lives, once lived, grew up, or went to a high school down the road from us. Don't care about the SIL's best friend's neighbor either or the current weather in Kalamazoo.

We found that there was much less hard data on tours, entry requirements, pre and post cruise cities, etc. This is the data that we are interested in. Tripadvisor forums are a much better source and we do not have to sort through the personal comments.

We have never, and would never, provide out cabin number to anyone. Most especially a public forum.

Ditto, expressed similar views several posts ago. When I talk about excursions in port and want to take its like crickets chirping. But let's talk about how much I hate my work and boss and the thread explodes with conversations.

I was actually once kicked off a roll call because I was reluctant to give my cabin number to a stranger.

If I ever joined a roll call and had that happen, I think I would be grateful that now I could avoid being around such rudeness.

A while back I was reading a roll call for one of my upcoming cruises, trying to decide if I should finally join one. I read posts from an individual who was organizing trivia teams...and he/she made it plainly clear that anyone who was not willing to commit to attending ALL trivia sessions planned should not sign up to be on a team as it wasn't 'fair' to the others...and that they needed to be 'serious' about winning. This individual also stressed that the team name was important and already pre-assigned them to these groups.

I never went back to that roll call, and ultimately decided I'd continue to just meet people on my own once on board.

Ditto, expressed similar views several posts ago. When I talk about excursions in port and want to take its like crickets chirping. But let's talk about how much I hate my work and boss and the thread explodes with conversations.

I haven't experienced this on HAL roll calls. Perhaps that is why there are less active than some of the other cruise lines?

I have never had that experience in any of the roll calls I have participated in I would hate to have your experience leave an inaccurate overall impression.

If anything, one roll call became 100% private shore excursions and no chit chat at all about the cruise, the destinations, the ship or any enrichment about the adventure ahead of us. At the end it was 100% slamming down private shore excursion sign-ups only. I had to admire the intensity and organization of the operation, but that was too one-note for me.

BNow and then I read something on a forum that describes fellow cruisers as newlywed a nd nearly dead. thsat does not encoursge me to be eager to look ford roll x call for my upcominvg cruise. I'v e never had to join a roll call to meet lots of new folks on b oard ships. Sit at the pool for a while, at a b ar, in a lounge............... always someone to c hat with

I feel for her. I've been in that boat of making name tags as has a CC friend who is far more talented than I.

they take time and while we do it because we want to, we also want people to get them. It is frustrating to do the work for naught.

Two things I have done that seem to get good results in Meet and Greets. I ask if people are coming and their confirmation. I don't assume everyone on the roll will. Just because someone posts on the roll call doesn't guarantee they want to come to a Meet and Greet.

Soo, those of us who avoid the roll call, and don't say we'll participate are actually more considerate.

I usually deliver reminders/invites ( That requires people must give you their cabin number) .I don't know if it makes a difference or not but our meet and greet turnouts are usually very good.

Which ever works best for each off us is just right for each.

I bowed out long ago when I realized the organizer picked time and day for tghe M & G without asking the group what time or day they though t best. I don't like that method.

Edited by sail7seas

Which ever works best for each off us is just right for each.

I bowed out long ago when I realized the organizer picked time and day for tghe M & G without asking the group what time or day they though t best. I don't like that method.

It's generally accepted that the meet and greet is held on the first sea day around ten or eleven AM. That seems to be the most agreeable time for everyone and it is certainly OK by me. I don't get a bee in my bonnet when told that is when it is.

It's generally accepted that the meet and greet is held on the first sea day around ten or eleven AM. That seems to be the most agreeable time for everyone and it is certainly OK by me. I don't get a bee in my bonnet when told that is when it is.

The time and place is established in conjunction with HAL and the ship with the hope that we do not interfere with activities in the Crow's Nest (the usual spot) and key activities on board .

Since HAL is kind enough to host us, reserve the space, etc. like you, I have no problems.

I have normally asked the roll call for the time they prefer and later morning has always seemed to be the preference. HAL does their best to accommodate but the time seems to fluctuate (depending upon staffing, availability and activities) between 10 and 11 a.m. usually.

11am is also often the same time as one of the lectures in the show lounge, when they are still offering these. Which has been one reason I have been a M&G absentee. I did a Roll Call once at 3:30-4:430 in the afternoon, and that seemed to work too, but no one ate the cookies - too close to early dinner.

11am is also often the same time as one of the lectures in the show lounge, when they are still offering these. Which has been one reason I have been a M&G absentee. I did a Roll Call once at 3:30-4:430 in the afternoon, and that seemed to work too, but no one ate the cookies - too close to early dinner.

and 3:30 interferes with the Window workshops and 4 pm Bingo & Fitness classes. & assuming it is the first sea day and that evening is a Gala night, it doesn't give the early diners much time to get ready - especially if they have connected and want to stay and chat.

No matter what the time, it is never perfect. ;)

Edited by kazu

I monitor the roll calls of our TAs. Usually I can pick up some useful information, mostly concerning hotels, transportation or any other goodies about the departure port. In turn I respond to questions that I can answer. But - I will not sign up. I remain a lurker. DW and I are sticks in the mud who'd rather quietly do our own thing. Very important: we want to know where and when the organized dinner will be held. Let's face it, no matter how civilized and well-intentioned a large group is, it will get louder and boisterous. We would rather avoid that, plan accordingly and eat at another restaurant. Yes, we have suffered through a meal next to a table of 'ladies' in high spirits with pink hats and boas. Oy vey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey folks; it's really very simple; if you like roll calls/meet & greets with, or without personal name tags that glitter, what have you, and get something out of them, awesome, knock yourself out and organize/attend those bad boys until the cows come home. If you don't care for them and think thy're a waste of time, leave them in your wake and go have a Wang Wang. Easy money! Hakuna matata :D

Interesting... ours have always been immediately after the safety drill, usually Lido deck aft near the pool / bar. ;) :)

Interesting... ours have always been immediately after the safety drill, usually Lido deck aft near the pool / bar. ;) :)

Now, that we have always called the sail a way ;)

Not the same as a meet and greet where there is more option to talk, especially if you are on the Queen of Horns when she was blowing ;)

On port intensive cruises, we have met after life boat drill in the Crow's Nest. A combination sail a way/meet and greet.

Whatever works is good :)

Hey folks; it's really very simple; if you like roll calls/meet & greets with, or without personal name tags that glitter, what have you, and get something out of them, awesome, knock yourself out and organize/attend those bad boys until the cows come home. If you don't care for them and think thy're a waste of time, leave them in your wake and go have a Wang Wang. Easy money! Hakuna matata :D

Where's the like button.;)

I haven't experienced this on HAL roll calls. Perhaps that is why there are less active than some of the other cruise lines?

You are correct. I have found roll calls on HAL very good especially on VoV & South Pacific cruises. Celebrity is where people are reluctant to discuss the cruise. On a recent Celebrity cruise there were over 3000 posts, mostly about people's personnel lives. I actually found reading the posts very humorous; especially what people are willing to give up or expose about themselves.

Disclaimer: I don't have Facebook, tweet, snapchat, or smart phone. I do have a dumb phone with rotary dial. :)

After reading through all the posts on this thread I am still of the opinion that Roll Calls and Meet and Greet (if organized and run well) are a huge benefit. DH and I have been very lucky since I joined CC 10 years ago - we have gained many, many good friends we would not have otherwise met. I think I will now go and sign up on the thread for a cruise that we are taking next spring. I am looking forward to either organizing or joining private tours, group lunches in the Pinnacle, Sailaway get togethers, the Meet and Greets and seeing our good friends again! :)

After reading through all the posts on this thread I am still of the opinion that Roll Calls and Meet and Greet (if organized and run well) are a huge benefit. DH and I have been very lucky since I joined CC 10 years ago - we have gained many, many good friends we would not have otherwise met. I think I will now go and sign up on the thread for a cruise that we are taking next spring. I am looking forward to either organizing or joining private tours, group lunches in the Pinnacle, Sailaway get togethers, the Meet and Greets and seeing our good friends again! :)

Totally agree! This has been our experience, too! :)

The roll call for our cruise to the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam was very disappointing--only 80 posts and not very many participants. For our upcoming cruise (seven weeks away) on a Princess ship, the roll call thread already has nearly 500 posts. Lots of folks are planning on excursions together. We did that once on a Princess cruise--and saved a good bit of money and got to see more than the folks on the cruise line's excursions. For the most part, though, I enjoy meeting the people who I've shared the excitement of planning for a cruise. I like getting insights into the things they're planning to do in each port, even if we decide to do something completely different. We've never participated in a slot pull, but meet and greets have been both good and bad. On a Princess ship in December, the worst part of the meet and greet was that it was too successful--too many people to really get to know. But there were several we met at it that we would run into around the ship and enjoyed talking with.

I assumed part of the lack of participation on HAL roll calls is partly due to the smaller ships and partly due to an older crowd.

It's important to remember that no one is "in charge" of any Roll Call. No one can kick anyone off or dictate who can participate.

Yes, someone always makes the first post on a Roll Call, someone can volunteer to contact HAL and set up the Meet & Greet, someone else may keep the list of names current, someone else can make a spreadsheet, someone can organize a slot pull or a cabin crawl, or whatever, maybe one person wants to do it all ... but none of those things puts anyone "in charge" of everyone else.

There is nothing that prevents any member of a Roll Call establishing any contact with any other member, and not everything has to go through whoever may be keeping a spreadsheet or other list. Anyone can join the Roll Call and choose their level of participation in any of the activities.

Having said all of that, I do think, especially for long cruises, that a spreadsheet keeping track of cruisers & activities & excursions, is a wonderfully valuable tool, and I'm always appreciative of whoever does that for my long cruises.

• 2 months later...
You are correct. I have found roll calls on HAL very good especially on VoV & South Pacific cruises. Celebrity is where people are reluctant to discuss the cruise. On a recent Celebrity cruise there were over 3000 posts, mostly about people's personnel lives. I actually found reading the posts very humorous; especially what people are willing to give up or expose about themselves.

Disclaimer: I don't have Facebook, tweet, snapchat, or smart phone. I do have a dumb phone with rotary dial. :)

Redneck Bob, Bilge Rat, need you on Eurodam Roll call the week after your sailing(26 Nov 17) The humor is missing and many one post wonders. Phone? I am still flashing light from the Bridge! G&G aka Ricky Bobdam gave you up for reference, a question he was unwilling to give. He is sailing B to B with you.

Being redneck bob, you know all about back doors. Right?

Edited by Bilge Rat 2
adding