Keeping in touch

Vicjac

Just wondering how everyone keeps in touch with home emergencies? Do you purchase the expensive wifi? Do they run deals for minutes only? Do you just purchase for sea days? Going for 14 days and don't want to purchase the unlimited plan

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I don't do any of that. In emergencies your phone will still work. On your travel documents there should be an emergency number your family can use to contact the ship in emergencies.

Unless you have a sick family member the likelihood of an emergency is small.

In port there is always cheap or free WiFi (just follow the crew) your family can text you on board or on land pretty cheaply. It is more expensive for you to text them back. It's only if you are texting all day or making constant phone calls when you are going to have a large bill. But you must turn off your data/Internet capacity on your phone. I had a friend who forgot to do this and had a $3000+ phone bill when she got home 😣

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Just wondering how everyone keeps in touch with home emergencies? Do you purchase the expensive wifi? Do they run deals for minutes only? Do you just purchase for sea days? Going for 14 days and don't want to purchase the unlimited plan

Verify with your cell carrier, you may be able to get send/receive text messages while at sea for minimal cost. AT&T charges $0.50 for each text sent and received texts are free.

Check with your cell phone provider about calling plans.

I live in Canada and Rogers has a roam like home plan. In the Caribbean,it's $10 a day (only if you turn it on) and the calls home are free as are the texts. Lots of free wifi near the docks to use so there really is no need for the ship's internet plan. If it is a real emergency,the ship can be reached by the number provided.

Check with your cell phone provider about calling plans.

I live in Canada and Rogers has a roam like home plan. In the Caribbean,it's $10 a day (only if you turn it on) and the calls home are free as are the texts. Lots of free wifi near the docks to use so there really is no need for the ship's internet plan. If it is a real emergency,the ship can be reached by the number provided.

Just bear in mind that the $10/day charge applies only to land-based carriers; Rogers' plan doesn't cover the ship's cellular network. If you've used your phone in port, don't forget to turn it off before your ship has turned on its network back on after departure.

OP, we always leave the ship's emergency phone number with family members and check our email at every port using free or inexpensive wifi. If we are renting a car, we pay the $10 to Rogers so that we can use Google Maps as well as all the other functions.

Occasionally we use my tablet while on land just to check emails. I give anyone "important" an email address I only use while traveling. That way , unless I have the time, I can avoid scrolling thru hundreds of emails sitting in my everyday mailbox.

No need for phone. Altho ....we do have a Mobal phone that we bought for emergencies on other land trips. Pay as you use system with no need to get separate Sim cards for different countries.

The ship phone is what we'd use on board for TRUE emergencies.

Ditto to what others said. We leave the ship contact number. Otherwise my daughter will take care of anything,

Now we don't have little kids at home so it makes it less of a worry.

Remember you can make wifi calls on your phone if you find Wifi in port.

You could also consider Googles Hangouts app. Minimum deposit is $10.00 but calls from countries outside of US are very inexpensive.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en&p=hangout

How to use Hangouts (you may need a gmail address but android users will have one. My grandson uses hangouts to video call with us on his Iphone so I know it works with the Iphone and Ipad.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-make-free-wi-fi-calls-google-hangouts-android

Another way to keep in touch is with Facebook messenger using the video or talk. This is a free way to contact but it means the person you are contacting needs to know you are contacting them I sometimes miss a facebook messenger call but always know if I get a phone call at a number.

Edited by Goldberry

• 1 month later...

I used to use ship internet on the cruise to keep in touch with home and work, but found it to be expensive and generally slow. So now what I do is just check email while in port. I don't bother with the "free wifi" spots, I find those to be fairly unreliable, especially if a lot of people are trying to do the same. What I tend to do is to find a bar, order a drink (many places it can even be a bottle of water or a Coke), and they will input their wifi password into your phone. Much faster and better and easier than trying to find a free spot. And only costs a few dollars at most.

I don't text while overseas. If you have Wifi you can use Whatsapp which effectively functions like text messages. No additional charges.