Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

;p;pOnly if your dress shorts were made from like, a pin stripe suit.....the shorts MUST be creased and properly pressed. Your belt must be square with the zipper line, and your shirt must line up properly with the belt line.

I have never worn shorts into the MDR for Dinner. I once ate dinner at 150 on Oasis in shorts. It was first night and our luggage had not arrived.

Although I personally don’t wear shorts to MDR dinner, it doesn’t bother me that others might. I would certainly prefer shorts over some of the BO we have smelled while dinning on ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I once ate dinner at 150 on Oasis in shorts. It was first night and our luggage had not arrived.

You mean you didn't pack something appropriate to wear in your carry on to account for potential late luggage arrival? :confused:

You mean you didn't pack something appropriate to wear in your carry on to account for potential late luggage arrival? :confused:

Only a swim suit. [emoji23]

There we go again... appropriate... your word. What is appropriate to you may or may not be to others. Sorta like enforcing a suggestion.

Bottom line - Royal does not enforce the suggested or permitted dress code. No matter which word you prefer to emphasize.

So, Why. Does. It. Matter! We could argue for days and days and it's not going to change what they are doing. My "suggestion" would be to create your own atmosphere by dressing as you would like your evening to be for you; formal, smart casual, casual. That's how we create our type of date night when we go out at home. How someone dresses at the table next to us does not change how we feel about our special night out. Quite honestly, some of what the ladies where as formal attire is surprising more than someone's shorts. But, at most, we see it, we raise our eyebrows at each other, and then we laugh. Their attire only affected how they were viewed by us, not how I enjoyed my meal. YMMV

For as long as this post (and many others) has gone on, I think it should be obvious that no one is going to be swayed to change their opinion. But argue away if that is what you enjoy.

Only a swim suit. [emoji23]

There we go again... appropriate... your word. What is appropriate to you may or may not be to others. Sorta like enforcing a suggestion.

Yep, kinda like when your boss at work 'suggests' that you do something. It's not really a suggestion at that point it's an order! ;)

I have never worn shorts into the MDR for Dinner. I once ate dinner at 150 on Oasis in shorts. It was first night and our luggage had not arrived.

Although I personally don’t wear shorts to MDR dinner, it doesn’t bother me that others might. I would certainly prefer shorts over some of the BO we have smelled while dinning on ships.

I agree i too have never worn shorts in the ships restaurants and never after 6pm anywhere on the ship.

I wear shorts in Tenerife etc as shown in a previous photo and always in Orlando/Disneyworld on a night time.

Yep, kinda like when your boss at work 'suggests' that you do something. It's not really a suggestion at that point it's an order! ;)

Now that would be an order that I better obey.

The only suggestions I take as orders are from my boss and Mrs. Dawg.:)

Sometimes I'll treat my boss's suggestion as a suggestion, but never the Mrs. My boss can only fire me.....

... Mrs. Dawg can do much, much worse.:eek:

The only suggestions I take as orders are from my boss and Mrs. Dawg.:)

Sometimes I'll treat my boss's suggestion as a suggestion, but never the Mrs. My boss can only fire me.....

... Mrs. Dawg can do much, much worse.:eek:

Well, not sure others caught on, but I am retired now so have no boss at work but my boss is at work. I do take suggestions from her as orders. [emoji23]

My carry on contains travel documents, medication, phone charger, and an extra pair of underwear. There's no room in my carry on for another outfit and different shoes (if I am in shorts, I am wearing either boat shoes or athletic shoes)

Definitely agree it would be nice... yes.

There are numerous cruise lines that require/provide for a decorous experience both in the dress expectations for passengers and the service expectations of staff. And among those cruise lines (found in the premium/luxury industry segments), there are even lines that don't go as far as tie/jacket (e.g., Oceania) but do expect you to follow their reasonable clothing dictates.

• 3 weeks later...

rather than start a new thread---just got off the oasis, which is a one and done but i will only post about the MDR. there is no dress code on any night. Our table was near the entrance on deck 5 and i could not notice what was coming in. I have only seen more baseball caps and jeans at a baseball game or NASCAR event. every night we had all types of shorts, flip flops, t shirts, women in torn jeans, dirty pettle pushers and generally what you would see at a fast food dive. Here it is , what we have been waiting for---on night 3 a older man comes in wearing a swim suit, flip flops, a dirty torn t shirt and a soiled baseball cap. He sat 4 tables away. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING TO ANYONE AND YES WE HAD SHORTS,JEANS, AND HATS ON FORMAL NIGHTS.

rather than start a new thread---just got off the oasis, which is a one and done but i will only post about the MDR. there is no dress code on any night. Our table was near the entrance on deck 5 and i could not notice what was coming in. I have only seen more baseball caps and jeans at a baseball game or NASCAR event. every night we had all types of shorts, flip flops, t shirts, women in torn jeans, dirty pettle pushers and generally what you would see at a fast food dive. Here it is , what we have been waiting for---on night 3 a older man comes in wearing a swim suit, flip flops, a dirty torn t shirt and a soiled baseball cap. He sat 4 tables away. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING TO ANYONE AND YES WE HAD SHORTS,JEANS, AND HATS ON FORMAL NIGHTS.

Did it affect your meal taste?

I was recently on a cruise line that does expect and enforce a certain standard in the MDR at night.

We were cruising with a couple that were cruise virgins and he was complaining about the need for long pants in the dining room. All the usual chestnuts "I am on vacation," "I have very nice golf shorts," etc.

Finally I asked him what he wore when he was golfing. He went on about his nice "golf" shorts and the matching polos and how they would be fine in the ship's MDR.

I finally asked if he ever played dressed in an old ripped stained pair of jeans that he had cut off into shorts (and the bottom edge was now frayed up a half inch) and topped the ratty shorts with a old, yellowed, ripped under the arm undershirt. Shoes would be a pair of worn out flip flops.

He looked at me in horror and said it would not be acceptable dress at the club and he would be asked to leave.

My response was "Exactly, you know the expected standard of dress and you adhere to it when participating in a round of golf. Why is knowing and following the expected dress in the MDR any different then following golf course standards?"

tominnc, you are wrong. the suggestion is type of dress, ie casual, smart casual, or formal. the required dress code states no shorts, no bare feet, no hats, and no open collar shirts like tank tops or t shirts and no jeans on smart casual or formal nights. if you dont get this basic difference there is no hope.

tominnc, you are wrong. the suggestion is type of dress, ie casual, smart casual, or formal. the required dress code states no shorts, no bare feet, no hats, and no open collar shirts like tank tops or t shirts and no jeans on smart casual or formal nights. if you dont get this basic difference there is no hope.

You might want to check the policy before you tell people what is and is not in it for accuracy sake.

I was recently on a cruise line that does expect and enforce a certain standard in the MDR at night.

We were cruising with a couple that were cruise virgins and he was complaining about the need for long pants in the dining room. All the usual chestnuts "I am on vacation," "I have very nice golf shorts," etc.

Finally I asked him what he wore when he was golfing. He went on about his nice "golf" shorts and the matching polos and how they would be fine in the ship's MDR.

I finally asked if he ever played dressed in an old ripped stained pair of jeans that he had cut off into shorts (and the bottom edge was now frayed up a half inch) and topped the ratty shorts with a old, yellowed, ripped under the arm undershirt. Shoes would be a pair of worn out flip flops.

He looked at me in horror and said it would not be acceptable dress at the club and he would be asked to leave.

My response was "Exactly, you know the expected standard of dress and you adhere to it when participating in a round of golf. Why is knowing and following the expected dress in the MDR any different then following golf course standards?"

Expected is much more different than suggested.