Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

Yes, the difference is significant enough that asking "Which are you?" creates a false choice. You don't have to be one or the other. In fact, I would say most fall in the middle, like me.

I wear nice pants in dining rooms at dinner. But it also does not bother me in the least, or take away from my dining experience, if the person sitting next to me is wearing shorts.

Hardly a false choice on lines with enforced codes. In fact, no choice at all.

To each his/her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bottom line.. IF you have to ask if shorts are appropriate in the dinning room, YOU ALREADY KNOW the answer is no. For us frequent cruisers, we know how to dress appropriate for any occasion.

Why wouldn't you want to fix yourself up a bit AND dress the part. You may be on vacation but that's not an excuse to look lazy.

(y)

#1 I own short shorts that cost as much as some dress pants!

#2 When someone pays for my vacation then and only than they can tell me how to dress.

#3 I try to go buy the rules but sometimes you just gotta be a little rebellious :evilsmile: !!!!!!!!!

And the price matters why??? I have seen the ripped and torn jeans that some think are dressy and are expensive. Just because they have a high price tag and someones name on them doesn't make them dressy. They are still nothing but ripped, torn and ratty jeans.

So you want people to dress up for you?

No, I don’t think you get it. Dress code is a suggestion only.

7671d09ec90e230629e45822ae019686.jpg

This was a casual night on Harmony.

My wife and i dress smart all the time.

We don't concern ourselves what other people wear but you buy Caymon wine at $100+ bottle and stay in suites on the ship yet don't dress smart confuses me.

Men in shorts is bad but women is dresses cut above the knees is not? Be consistent please! :p Ultimately, the legs are underneath the table so should not even be visible to you unless you are actively looking for them.

As a general rule, millennials, do not LOOK for a reason to be upset.

At a local bus company, shorts were not allowed as part of the uniform. We had a very unusual heat wave. Women could wear skirts. Men were pissed.

Yes you guessed it: they started wearing skirts to work. Within two days, shorts were allowed.

At a local bus company, shorts were not allowed as part of the uniform. We had a very unusual heat wave. Women could wear skirts. Men were pissed.

Yes you guessed it: they started wearing skirts to work. Within two days, shorts were allowed.

I love this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not rocket science: find a cruise line that delivers what you prefer, expect and can afford in terms of service, food, accommodations, amenities, itineraries. Add to the mix your desired passenger demographics that can include expectations related to decorum (which is separate from the kind of diversity in life experiences that can fuel some wonderful dinner conversations with strangers).

If "come as you are" appeals to you, there are quite a few cruise lines waiting to take your deposit. If, however, you'd prefer to cruise in a more refined manner, there are entire other cruise industry segments that will deliver what they advertise and, yes, they'll require (and receive) your compliance.

I choose the latter.

Finally, as regards cruise line behavior codes or guidelines/recommendations, do recognize that there is a significant difference between "do whatever you want - it's your vacation" and "please be considerate of those who choose to follow the rules/guidelines."

Which are you?

You didn't answer a single question. I invited you to a conversation, not a lecture. If you're not capable to answer questions I won't indulge you.

But for 2 out of 3 meals of the day you don't mind? And you like to sit with strangers and meet new people, so long as they dress appropriately? I'm just trying to understand. If RCI relaxed their dress suggestions would that be okay with you, or is it beneath the level you consider appropriate?

As a courtesy based on your later post:

#1. I mind if reasonable expectations for decorum are not met. For casual dining: "no shoes, no shirts, no service."

#2. New acquaintances? Yes. Disregard for the dress code/guidelines? No.

#3. RCI can do whatever they want with dress suggestions. Many RCI issues have already cost them my (and others') business.

We don't concern ourselves what other people wear but you buy Caymon wine at $100+ bottle and stay in suites on the ship yet don't dress smart confuses me.

Actually it's Caymus. Maybe you don't concern yourself with what people wear, but do what they drink?

i brought this thread back up yesterday, active on page 1, as a convenience for Mr. Bayley's staff to have easy access to read our concerns about the lack of enforcement of the dress code. I also included a couple of other links with a similar topic.

Yes there is a dress code. No swim ware allowed at any time in MDR.

No shorts, bare feet, flipflops, tank tops, or hats allowed in the evening.

the suggested dress is for each evening, ie casual. smart casual, and formal. Casual evening can include jeans, t shirts, sandals, tennis shoes etc. Smart casual is dress pants, collared shirts, ladies slacks, blouses, etc. Formal nights can be smart casual but they prefer a little more dressy with suits, etc.

Still NO SHORTS, HATS, FLIP FLOPS,OR TANK TOPS.

In discussing the inconsistency of enforcement from ship to ship, this is something they will be addressing with top management. I did offer some observations and constructive ideas to advise all guests what is expected in their dress in the MDR and how to approach the few who refuse to use alternative venues where there is no dress code.

I realize there are some other areas of inconsistency from ship to ship, thus we have a LOVE/HATE relationship. Yes the love is stronger as we continue to book RCCL.

As i said before, if you do not want to wear long pants, WEAR A DRESS.

#1. I mind if reasonable expectations for decorum are not met. For casual dining: "no shoes, no shirts, no service."

#3. RCI can do whatever they want with dress suggestions. Many RCI issues have already cost them my (and others') business.

One statement and one question.

Statement - Do not pretend these issues don’t also exist on Oceania.

Question - What is the purpose of your obsessive posts on numerous mass market cruise line boards, when you don’t even sail these lines?

We travel with family (all adults) and request a table for 6. We prefer to dine with just our family at dinner but it has nothing to do with the dress code. We've reached our own "compromise" dress code. The women wear dress slacks and a tasteful top and the men wear slacks and a dress shirt and sometimes a tie. I'm never impressed with the ones in the expensive dresses or a tux. I'm never offended with the Hawaiian print shirts and shorts or the jeans. I don't care. I have never gone on a cruise to impress the other passengers or to have them impress me. I don't care how you dress. That seems to be the prevailing attitude of the passengers and most of the cruise lines. If a cruise line has already relaxed the dress code, I don't think you are going to see them revert back to a stricter dress code and strictly enforce it. You either deal with it or choose a different cruise line.

One statement and one question.

Statement - Do not pretend these issues don’t also exist on Oceania.

Question - What is the purpose of your obsessive posts on numerous mass market cruise line boards, when you don’t even sail these lines?

Actually, on Oceania, I have occasionally witnessed a maitre'd explaining the need for appropriate dress in different venues. This has included turning away shorts in the MDR and "please remove your hat" in the Terrace Café. Fortunately, non-compliant folks are few and far between. Have your experiences on Oceania been different?

As for posting, I haven't seen the CC requirement (or suggestion) that one's experience on any particular line must have been "recent" in order to participate in a conversation where you're able to educate or be educated. The only "obsession" I've seen is perhaps your need to be a self-styled "post police."

As for posting, I haven't seen the CC requirement (or suggestion) that one's experience on any particular line must have been "recent" in order to participate in a conversation where you're able to educate or be educated. The only "obsession" I've seen is perhaps your need to be a self-styled "post police."

My question was - what’s your purpose? But as already shown in this thread, answering direct questions is not your strong suit.

And to answer your question, yes, I have seen these same exact issues on Oceania. Sometimes the rules are enforced and sometimes they’re not - just like on RCI and every other cruise line.

My question was - what’s your purpose? But as already shown in this thread, answering direct questions is not your strong suit.

And to answer your question, yes, I have seen these same exact issues on Oceania. Sometimes the rules are enforced and sometimes they’re not - just like on RCI and every other cruise line.

Reread the post. "Educate or be educated."

I've never really thought I was bothered about what people wear and I don't cruise that often... But on our last cruise, we only met our table mates on formal night . My friend and I were in dresses and I'd made my son wear a shirt and trousers and they turned up in beach gear . I mean really , really casual and rightly or wrongly it just felt odd that we were dressed nicely sitting in a nice environment and they were in beach gear .

Anyway they were nice people and that's all that matters, but it did change my opinion and I feel like now people should follow the dress code . It does not have to be over the top and I know I don't dress as formal as I used to :)

i brought this thread back up yesterday, active on page 1, as a convenience for Mr. Bayley's staff to have easy access to read our concerns about the lack of enforcement of the dress code. I also included a couple of other links with a similar topic.

the suggested dress is for each evening, ie casual. smart casual, and formal. Casual evening can include jeans, t shirts, sandals, tennis shoes etc. Smart casual is dress pants, collared shirts, ladies slacks, blouses, etc. Formal nights can be smart casual but they prefer a little more dressy with suits, etc.

In discussing the inconsistency of enforcement from ship to ship, this is something they will be addressing with top management. I did offer some observations and constructive ideas to advise all guests what is expected in their dress in the MDR and how to approach the few who refuse to use alternative venues where there is no dress code.

I realize there are some other areas of inconsistency from ship to ship, thus we have a LOVE/HATE relationship. Yes the love is stronger as we continue to book RCCL.

P&O have introduced from January 1st 2018 a strict dress code banning certain t shirts etc.

If RC don't enforce the dress code they have introduced then not much point in having one.

Actually, on Oceania, I have occasionally witnessed a maitre'd explaining the need for appropriate dress in different venues. This has included turning away shorts in the MDR and "please remove your hat" in the Terrace Café. Fortunately, non-compliant folks are few and far between. Have your experiences on Oceania been different?

I agree.RC and P&O are in my signature and when posting on a Princess post i was told

What are you posting on our Threads for?.

My reply was ,We are Elite Princess loyalty members.

Nothing more was said.

Not rocket science: find a cruise line that delivers what you prefer, expect and can afford in terms of service, food, accommodations, amenities, itineraries. Add to the mix your desired passenger demographics that can include expectations related to decorum (which is separate from the kind of diversity in life experiences that can fuel some wonderful dinner conversations with strangers).

If "come as you are" appeals to you, there are quite a few cruise lines waiting to take your deposit. If, however, you'd prefer to cruise in a more refined manner, there are entire other cruise industry segments that will deliver what they advertise and, yes, they'll require (and receive) your compliance.

I choose the latter.

Finally, as regards cruise line behavior codes or guidelines/recommendations, do recognize that there is a significant difference between "do whatever you want - it's your vacation" and "please be considerate of those who choose to follow the rules/guidelines."

Which are you?

You keep falling back on that word “rule”. What part of dress codes are “suggested “ do you not understand. So maybe you should be considerate of others who do abide by “rules”. There is “rules” against certain items of clothing in MDR Dinner.

Many of us have “dressed up” or wore uniforms all our working lives. Vacations are a time for a break and relaxation. If it makes “ME” feel better to dress up, then I do it for ME, not others. What others wear doesn’t bother me, why should it bother you.

The “rules” for certain Lounges require long pants for men and collared shirts formal nights and some all nights. These are often enforced.

Now wait a minute. How do you know how I dress? I’ve NEVER worn shorts into the MDR nor have I said I did. I love it when others get so twisted up about what others wear and how it messes up their cruise.

I generally wear slacks and collared shirts into CL/SL/DL and always on Formal nights. I used to pack a suit but we have reduced our luggage to one large bag instead of two for convenience. Some cruise I will pack a sports jacket just in case dinner requires it on or off the ship.

And yes, we don’t drink crappy wine.

Your wife looks very nice. I don’t belittle people for dressing up or down.

You keep falling back on that word “rule”. What part of dress codes are “suggested “ do you not understand. So maybe you should be considerate of others who do abide by “rules”. There is “rules” against certain items of clothing in MDR Dinner.

Many of us have “dressed up” or wore uniforms all our working lives. Vacations are a time for a break and relaxation. If it makes “ME” feel better to dress up, then I do it for ME, not others. What others wear doesn’t bother me, why should it bother you.

The “rules” for certain Lounges require long pants for men and collared shirts formal nights and some all nights. These are often enforced.

Oops. I didn't realize that if it doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother anyone else. My bad. [emoji22]

But Royal continues to sail nearly full and prices continue to climb as do our stock holdings. We can see the effect your protest is having.

Now wait a minute. How do you know how I dress? I’ve NEVER worn shorts into the MDR nor have I said I did. I love it when others get so twisted up about what others wear and how it messes up their cruise.

I generally wear slacks and collared shirts into CL/SL/DL and always on Formal nights. I used to pack a suit but we have reduced our luggage to one large bag instead of two for convenience. Some cruise I will pack a sports jacket just in case dinner requires it on or off the ship.

And yes, we don’t drink crappy wine.

Your wife looks very nice. I don’t belittle people for dressing up or down.

Good reply and you dress similar to myself.

I rarely drink alcohol so not interested in what other people drink.

Dress wise we never critisise what other people wear although sometimes it is hard to hold our laugh in at what some people wear.

You state expected... who is setting the standard of expected dress? Sounds like you want Royal to set dress codes to your standards.