Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

Do they give you any flak for wearing shorts on non formal nights?

On AOS now and most people comply and look good - slacks, button downs etc, sun dresses. Some have the "anything goes" look in casual shorts, football jerseys, etc. Staff doesn't say anything but I was surprised that some dress very casual - the dining room is gorgeous and it kind of looks out of place. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We personally don't care what others wear to the MDR, but DH and I do dress up on formal nights and wear appropriate attire the other nights if not a little "over dressed." We don't get the opportunity to dress up very often, so it's nice for me to see him in a suit and I would hope he likes seeing me in a nice dress. It's just how we like to cruise. If you want to wear shorts, go for it. It's not effecting our dinner or experiences in any way.

I agree. Well said!

• 2 weeks later...

It's such a casual world today. I've seen people in high positions in business wearing slacks and nice shirts no ties. Don;t know why anyone would care what some one else is wearing. Is there clothing selection going to hinder how the food tastes? Gary:cool:

What a shame for those folk who thought they were purchasing a cruise where the published guidelines expected decorum, at least at dinner.

It's 2018, people wear dress shorts at bars and restaurants. Sounds like you may be confined to nicer specialty restaurants if you want everyone to dress the same as you.

It's such a casual world today. I've seen people in high positions in business wearing slacks and nice shirts no ties. Don;t know why anyone would care what some one else is wearing. Is there clothing selection going to hinder how the food tastes? Gary:cool:

DH and I dress up, but it’s for us, not others :). We’ve sat with people in shorts, and it doesn’t impact us! To each their own :)

It's 2018, people wear dress shorts at bars and restaurants. Sounds like you may be confined to nicer specialty restaurants if you want everyone to dress the same as you.

You miss the point. Cruise line sells one thing (MDR dress code) and delivers another ("come as you are").

It's one of the many reasons discerning travelers prefer premium/luxury lines (and even then, first timers often need reassurance that it won't be like the often unearned reputation that plagues Walmart).

I’m just curious if those in favor of vigorous enforcement, no questioning, etc.; do they share tables with strangers or not?

Actually prefer to share tables. Fortunately, however, our choice of cruise lines assures that my table mates will be dressed appropriately for a fine-dining experience.

Do they give you any flak for wearing shorts on non formal nights?

My experience on the Adventure was they'd quietly inform you it is a formal night but will still seat you. I say this based on the guy waiting in front of us on one of the formal nights being dressed in shorts and a nice button down. It was a couple and they seated the two of them at a two top sort of out-of-the-way. Once he was sitting it just looked as though he was in the wears a nice shirt but no jacket or tie group of which there were plenty.

Sorry. Didn't read the entire thread but my guess is this is the same chewing over of this subject. I go to enjoy my vacation and don't care about other people, other than that they be clean and reasonably presented. He was clean. He was clothed. His shirt even looked pressed. Good enough. I wore a brand new island floral print maxi for one of the formal nights and a very nice chiffon palazzo pants and beaded jacket set the other. My spouse wore a brand new suit and tie. I would say we lined up with the majority in the dining room. There were some in full formal wear but it was more so women. Only spied a bare handful of men in dinner jackets or tuxes.

So according to some responses here, some cruisers don't care what others wear since it's there vacation also. The response is if it bothers you don't look. Therefore, I can wear bikini underwear in the dining room with a nice white t-shirt and if it bothers you, don't look. After 20 cruises, I have found that you can do just about anything on a RCCL cruise as long it isn't illegal, because there is no enforcement. Smoke on the balcony, the only thing RCCL will do is admonish them, and then leave.

What a shame for those folk who thought they were purchasing a cruise where the published guidelines expected decorum, at least at dinner.

So you want people to dress up for you?

No, I don’t think you get it. Dress code is a suggestion only.

So you want people to dress up for you?

No, I don’t think you get it. Dress code is a suggestion only.

Reread my earlier post: "expected" is vastly different than "demanded." Either way, the guidelines favor dressing appropriately for the venue.

Nonetheless, I could care less what you wear to dinner since we probably won't be cruising or eating together.

Rather my responses are meant to remind folks (who are unhappy with the lack of decorum they've witnessed) that they have choices Including picking other cruise lines that have and enforce reasonable dress codes (and other expectations related to courteous behaviors).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

So according to some responses here, some cruisers don't care what others wear since it's there vacation also. The response is if it bothers you don't look. Therefore, I can wear bikini underwear in the dining room with a nice white t-shirt and if it bothers you, don't look. After 20 cruises, I have found that you can do just about anything on a RCCL cruise as long it isn't illegal, because there is no enforcement. Smoke on the balcony, the only thing RCCL will do is admonish them, and then leave.

Oh yay, the old "next they'll let you dine naked" slippery slope argument is back :rolleyes:

Oh yay, the old "next they'll let you dine naked" slippery slope argument is back :rolleyes:

Yes... :rolleyes: and resurrected by someone who clearly has no clue what this discussion is all about, and who hasn't read the thread either.

You miss the point. Cruise line sells one thing (MDR dress code) and delivers another ("come as you are").

It's one of the many reasons discerning travelers prefer premium/luxury lines (and even then, first timers often need reassurance that it won't be like the often unearned reputation that plagues Walmart).

Your consternation may come from a misunderstanding; cruise line sells optional participation theme nights (that they do very little themselves to differentiate one versus another).

Either way, the guidelines favor dressing appropriately for the venue.

But for 2 out of 3 meals of the day you don't mind? And you like to sit with strangers and meet new people, so long as they dress appropriately? I'm just trying to understand. If RCI relaxed their dress suggestions would that be okay with you, or is it beneath the level you consider appropriate?

But for 2 out of 3 meals of the day you don't mind? And you like to sit with strangers and meet new people, so long as they dress appropriately? I'm just trying to understand. If RCI relaxed their dress suggestions would that be okay with you, or is it beneath the level you consider appropriate?

Not rocket science: find a cruise line that delivers what you prefer, expect and can afford in terms of service, food, accommodations, amenities, itineraries. Add to the mix your desired passenger demographics that can include expectations related to decorum (which is separate from the kind of diversity in life experiences that can fuel some wonderful dinner conversations with strangers).

If "come as you are" appeals to you, there are quite a few cruise lines waiting to take your deposit. If, however, you'd prefer to cruise in a more refined manner, there are entire other cruise industry segments that will deliver what they advertise and, yes, they'll require (and receive) your compliance.

I choose the latter.

Finally, as regards cruise line behavior codes or guidelines/recommendations, do recognize that there is a significant difference between "do whatever you want - it's your vacation" and "please be considerate of those who choose to follow the rules/guidelines."

Which are you?

Finally, as regards cruise line behavior codes or guidelines/recommendations, do recognize that there is a significant difference between "do whatever you want - it's your vacation" and "please be considerate of those who choose to follow the rules/guidelines."

Which are you?

Yes, the difference is significant enough that asking "Which are you?" creates a false choice. You don't have to be one or the other. In fact, I would say most fall in the middle, like me.

I wear nice pants in dining rooms at dinner. But it also does not bother me in the least, or take away from my dining experience, if the person sitting next to me is wearing shorts.