I've cancelled my Crown Princess cruise

chloe45

Equating specialty restaurants on NCL with the MDR on Princess says it all.

Yes. NCL's model is definitely geared towards steering people to dine in their specialty restaurants. It's part of their a la carte system. Want crappy(for lack of a better word) food? Well, it's including in your competitively priced base fare. However, one has the option to pay more to get better if they so choose.

Thing is, the food in the Princess MDR has declined quite a bit in recent years. Try to get a good cut of beef lately? Yeah right:p. The issue is that there has usually been only two other (sit-down specialty) alternatives to dine on many Princess ships. However in recent years, the Crab Shack, Alfredo's and Salty Dog have provided for a few more options on some vessels.

The dining variety on NCL(and other lines) is nice for a change. Variety is the spice of life. The opportunity to dine Continental Asian, Sushi(or other types of ethnic fare) is a welcome specialty option other than the same ol' Steakhouse and Italian Restaurant options. 'Share' was a major "meh" the one time we tried it.

Generally, Princess (base)fares are a little higher than those on NCL for similar sailings. Yet, if one is willing to pay extra, there may be more amenities available on NCL for purchase. Some may see this model as 'nickle-and-diming' and some may prefer a more all-inclusive 'pay upfront' experience. Yet, It all comes out in the wash when the final bill is tallied.

It's the way the highly competitive travel/vacation industry is moving. Airlines have been utilizing it for quite a while now. That $350 economy flight would cost $450 if checked luggage, carry-ons, hot meals, blankets, entertainment etc. etc. etc. were still included in the fare.

DH and I have soured on the Princess brand. ...

I suspect that this decline comes on the heels of the $40 million dollar judgement. Somebody has to pay for it and it's the loyal Princess passengers that will bear the cost...

This means the top management will have to cut back on their bonus/incentives for just this quarter. You are right though...some pencil pusher back at headquarters will do his/her best to impress his/her superiors by cutting down on French fries etc.

FWIW, we just got off a wonderful 14 day cruise on the Crown last week. Main dining room menu and service was among the best we've had. Headwaiters were always checking with guests. Had planned to try a burger at Salty Dog, but couldn't find a reason to skip MDR. Shows mostly good to very good. Vines was a frequent call and service was very friendly and excellent.

Cabin steward was also friendly, helpful and on top of his game.

Guest services were friendly.

Just an alternate opinion for those that are wondering about the Crown. Would not hesitate.

Interesting observations.

The positives I recognized on our only NCL cruise were that the entertainment was the best we've seen among all of our cruises. The theater shows were top notch - Great improv comedians, top-notch acrobats and talented/well choreographed Cirque-de-Soleil(Vegas quality) productions. We've seen some decent entertainment aboard Princess at times, but NCL was clearly a couple notches higher.

Princess does not skimp on entertainment.

One comedian told us he was the best comedian in his price range.

Interesting observations.

We'd sail NCL again, knowing what to expect. The Ultimate Dining Package would be a requirement for sure.

It's easy to agree with you about NCL entertainment surpassing theater offerings on Princess.

NCL Escape, on which I sailed, is a larger ship and requires reservations for a seat in the theater. I only saw one of the shows, as I got locked out of the other big production show, as I hadn't reserved and it was SOLD OUT. The one I did see was good-- and about 2.5 times longer (lasting well over an hour) than the most recent Princess show celebrating dancers on Broadway (approx. 35 min run time. Enjoyable, but short)

I also respect and like NCL's policy of reserving good seats for The Haven (Suite) guests. Not only was there a sign, but also a Concierge enforcing and reserving the seats.

Another "plus" on NCL's side is that one their larger ships, one of the three MDR's (all of which serve the same menu) has live entertainment and a dance floor. It creates an ambiance not replicated on Princess. And the room is LARGE, meaning those that prefer a quiet seat, can sit far away from the band.

Skai, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum regarding enforcement of the Princess published dress code that the inconsiderate think they can disrespect, but I do like the ease of Freestyle Cruising with a relaxed dress code.

While Princess tries to adapt and attract a younger clientele, I certainly wish they'd try to clone NCL's "Food Republic," an a la carte lunch and dinner option with smaller servings that accommodate everyone from snackers to full meal patrons.

Another benefit of NCL over Princess is their co-ed Thermal Spa found on their mid-size and large ships. Princess hides these options in locations that do not include a view outside whereas NCL carves out the bow of the ship to provide a serene view outside.

So despite all the negatives on NCL I noted in my first post, compared to Princess, I too would sail NCL again.

$40 million is nothing for a cruise lines .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly! Princess is owned by Carnival. Carnival Corp is currently building 19 new ships across all of it's lines to be launched within the next 5 years. Carnival is making money hand over fist! :confused:

This just in today: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-ccl-rides-bookings-strong-112911369.html

Good luck with Norwegian !! I just did a Norweigan Jade transatlantic cruise this spring. It was my first and last on NCL! I have seen a decline in Princess, I am a platiumn member, but it still is better than Norwegian!! Terrible food, service and a lot of upcharges!! $7.95 for room service ???

FWIW, we just got off a wonderful 14 day cruise on the Crown last week. Main dining room menu and service was among the best we've had. Headwaiters were always checking with guests. Had planned to try a burger at Salty Dog, but couldn't find a reason to skip MDR. Shows mostly good to very good. Vines was a frequent call and service was very friendly and excellent.

Just an alternate opinion for those that are wondering about the Crown. Would not hesitate.

Thank you jimmieg. We are sailing on the Crown next month and, although we had a wonderful cruise to Alaska on the Crown a couple of years ago, I was beginning to wonder if we had made a terrible mistake. We don't cruise that often, this will be only our third. We like to eat in the MDR and are happy to flex our schedule to avoid long queues for dinner or the shows so I'm hoping that we'll have just as enjoyable time this year.

There's a reason (or several) why NCL is not considered a premium line, and based upon my recent experience, you may be rather upset at being trapped on NCL for a transatlantic with no ports to run off with your bags to fly home.

With my dozen or more cruises on Princess over the past three years, I've noticed the gradual "chipping away" on Princess. So I was eager to experience NCL Escape when I took a 7 day cruise this April. I had an expiring deposit cert that I had to use or lose.

Your comments indicate that you don't travel in suites, so "The Haven" on NCL sounds out of the question because of cost. I spoke with a "Haven" guest about why she would only stay there on NCL. I've stayed in a Princess full suite and enjoyed the benefits, however, "The Haven" outshines Princess.

Having no status on NCL, I didn't have priority boarding. The Disney-esque line kept moving and only took 15 minutes to be called to an agent. Looking at his watch as he handed me my key card he stated: "Just to your left and up the escalators. We should start boarding just about now." WONDERFUL, I thought: just like Princess; I'll be unpacked in my room 20 minutes from now. Up the escalator I was handed my "Boarding Pass" --- for Group 25!! It was a 90 minute wait until my group was called.

Walk off disembarkation was no better, with a line that snaked practically the length of the ship and back before walking outside to the gangway.

I love the Princess daily rotation of the MDR breakfast and lunch menus. The NCL MDR breakfast menu was on a three day rotation for my 7 day cruise. I tried a number of the specialty restaurants, and it seems they are geared for the mass market. Crown Grill beats the NCL Steakhouse hands down, and Old Menu Sabatini's outshines NCL's Italian offering. I can only give a "shake of the shoulders" to the French restaurant.

I never visited the buffet on NCL and I typically don't use HC on Princess.

Service, or more specifically supervision and training of service on NCL pales in comparison to Princess. It's the small things that make the difference. Take what I saw in the French restaurant. Two 4-top tables were put together to accommodate a party of 8. With three on each side and one at each end, it meant the middle person on each side was sitting where the tables were joined. Only problem is the tables were an inch different in height. None-the-less, the table was set with that middle plate leaning at a 40 degree angle left to right. To my server: "I know that is not your table, but let me ask you something. If you were a guest here tonight in NCL's 'nicest' specialty restaurant and you were paying $35 to eat here, how would you feel about sitting at THAT seat?" pointing to the the setting. She looked, turned back to me with a big smile, I smiled at her, pointed again, she looked, then looked back at me. So I asked her: "Do you see how that plate is sitting on the table? Would you like to eat from it at that angle?" She smiled, acknowledged with a nod, and walked off. I saw her say something to another service staff member. But no change was made from the table. It took the ship's F&B Director, who had planned to visit with me at the end of my meal, before the table and place setting was fixed.

In the steakhouse, the couple at the table next to me (who I had a conversation with on another day) got the wrong table on SEVERAL COUNTS. The setting sun was right in the husband's face because the panel of blinds over their table didn't descend when the staff flipped the switch to lower the blinds. So I called our waiter over, and as I pointed and before I could say anything, he snapped: "It's broken."

Me: "Well, yes, I can see that. But can YOU see that long metal rod? I think if you crank and turn it, the blind will slide down."

"Do you work on the ship?"

"No, but I believe that is the manual crank."

He was amazed as the blind descended, asking "Wow! How did you know that?"

I just smiled in return, as I thought to myself: "Umm, just simple common sense."

They had been the second table seated in the dining room, and I heard them let their waiter know they were skipping a course because they had show reservations for 7:30pm. It was 5:40pm. A wasted comment, it turns out. I was served, followed by three tables to my left and two tables in front of me while the couple nervously glanced at their watches and each other.

So I signaled for our waiter as I asked: "Do you know what happened to their food?"

"I don't know."

"Well, I've watched five other tables who ordered after them be served their meals. Could you find out? Because remember they mentioned they had a show reservation, and they were the second order that you took, before these other tables."

Okay, I'll stop here. But I could go on. Yes, Princess staff do have their "moments," but they seem few and far between. Service in general on Princess seems more attentive and personalized compared to NCL.

There just seems to be more care and attention on board Princess.

Have you considered a shorter cruise on NCL first, to test the waters?

I didn't choose this cruise. A friend invited us to join them on their TA. Two other couples are also joining us. This is a group of friends that have been meeting for cocktail hour once a week (used to be twice) for the last 15+ years. With this group on board there is no way we won't have fun!

The 8 day Crown cruise was in a mini with paid gratuities and $400 OBC (military and FCC)

The 14 day NCL Star (which is a smaller ship then some of the NCL newer ones) is in a mini with beverage package, meal package (4 dinners in specialty venues) and $215 OBC.

The difference in price was NCL was $150 more. Great deal.

Excited to try something different for a change. We probably won't eat in the buffet a lot since we have a group and the not having to dress up is a plus. When we first started cruising I loved formal nights. I have about 5 evening gowns but DH got tired of wearing the monkey suit and would shed it as soon as dinner was over. We've skipped formal nights for many years now.

Just thought i would say having recently come back from a weeks cruise on the Crown - That I am slightly mystified by the negativity - Overall we felt it was a very good cruise - Food good only one night was the MDR not quite up to standard and that was only on one choice of the main courses - We like Traditional dining and get to know a few other people for chats over dinner. Buffet was good - lots of variety constantly replenished - OK Dining may not be quite as good as when we fist cruised some 15 years ago but that tends to be all lines - Overall nothing wrong with Princess and the Crown - Also Shows were good - ship clean - embarkation and disembarkation at the start and end and at ports of call all good. Crew very friendly so we certainly will continue with Princess

We have been doing land vacations lately. We can come and go as we please eat when and where we want and stay as long as we want without worrying about missing the ship. This past spring we stayed 3 weeks in Florida in a beach front condo for less than the price of a 10 day cruise. Will we take another cruise? Sure, but for right now we are staying on land.

Princess does not skimp on entertainment.

One comedian told us he was the best comedian in his price range.

Oh, we've been entertained on Princess. Mostly it's been the cabaret/variety acts in the Explorer's Lounge that have been the most gratifying experiences.

However, the theater (production) shows have mostly come across as pretty corny, although, I've often had some good laughs at the campy nature of many of them.

While it's understood that the singers/dancers on all cruise lines work their butts off -- I know this having talked to some personally while aboard -- The choreography and productions themselves come off as pretty cheesy(on Princess) -- Any sort of attempt to be Avant Garde usually falling well short. "Magic To Do", for example, was the only time that we've ever left a production show early. We've always stayed through to the end of the shows in the theater that we've taken the time to attend from the start -- No matter how silly some have been.

The 50s/60s/70s medley shows w/ bland songs and set designs come across as uninspiring at best, JHS quality productions at worst.

On NCL for example. They had a Cirque de Soleil type of show where dancers where coming down from catwalks above the crowd into the isles doing acrobatics. Exotic costumes. Flashy visuals. The sets where much more elaborately designed - Not just a shell of a '57 Chevy fronting a screen showing grainy video of Americana scenes. The themes were much more innovative on NCL.

One show that we went to was a French couple that performed a strength act that was incredible. One part of the show, the woman was swinging out in front of the stage well over the crowd so close that the fabric that she was swinging from was just barely sweeping the heads of those in the front rows.

Yes, we've seen a few decent comedians on Princess. A couple have gotten us to laugh, but many have been mediocre as well -- w/ the same ol' recycled cruising related jokes or cheap lounge act bits. I don't need to hear the jokes about how small the bathrooms are, quips about how the toilets flush or the same buffet-related lines like the same that I've already heard countless times before. Sometimes the best acts on Princess come from audience participation and many times they actually steal the show.

Comedians that we've seen on other lines have had us splitting at the sides, leaving with sore faces from all of the laughing. One act that we saw in Carnival's Adult Comedy Club (from New Orleans) was one of the better comedians that we've ever seen anywhere. His ability to work off the crowd and his use of improv was masterful -- Natural timing that never came across as forced, canned or even awkward.

We've been entertained on Princess, but I can unequivocally state that the entertainment (overall) on NCL was clearly better than that on Princess. JMHO.

Formal nights are professional picture taking nights. Haven't you seen the lines of people waiting to have their picture taken? It's a money making issue for Princess. Why stop it???

So here is a shocker (for some)! There are some folks who really enjoy dressing-up for formal nights. DW and I love casual (I don;t even wear shoes in my home) but we also are fine putting on our formal wear a few times a year. That being said, Princess and Cunard seem to be the last two lines to be sticking to the old formal format. And by the way, we have not purchased a formal picture (or any other picture) in our last 100 or so cruises. We used to get free 8x10 formal pictures on RCI...and finally realized that the photos just showed us getting older :).

Hank

I didn't choose this cruise. A friend invited us to join them on their TA. Two other couples are also joining us. This is a group of friends that have been meeting for cocktail hour once a week (used to be twice) for the last 15+ years. With this group on board there is no way we won't have fun!

The 8 day Crown cruise was in a mini with paid gratuities and $400 OBC (military and FCC)

The 14 day NCL Star (which is a smaller ship then some of the NCL newer ones) is in a mini with beverage package, meal package (4 dinners in specialty venues) and $215 OBC.

The difference in price was NCL was $150 more. Great deal.

Excited to try something different for a change. We probably won't eat in the buffet a lot since we have a group and the not having to dress up is a plus. When we first started cruising I loved formal nights. I have about 5 evening gowns but DH got tired of wearing the monkey suit and would shed it as soon as dinner was over. We've skipped formal nights for many years now.

It does sound like you will have a good time with your group-- especially since it's a smaller ship.

Secondly, while a TA remains on my bucket list and based only upon last minute deep discounts I've seen for these cruises, your ship may not be full.

My first cruise on NCL was an 11 day out of Rome roundtrip, Dec 2012 on Jade, before school was out, and our ship was nowhere near full. It was a great cruise, the reason I bought a FCD (non-refundable $250 FCD that must be used in four years on a 7 day or more cruise. Incentive to purchase on board is a $100 credit to your current on board account.)

Princess is just launching the ability pre-cruise to reserve specialty dining on board. NCL had it back in 2012. INCENTIVE to book first night's dining in a specialty restaurant in advance: comp bottle of wine.

The other NCL tip is a coupon that will arrive in your room about 4 days in for "Wash & Fold" laundry service: as much as you can stuff in a laundry bag for $24.95. I had been traveling prior to the cruise and was glad to know from reading on CC about this, so I held off rather than immediately sending laundry out. The retail price of what I stuffed in that bag was $155.00!

I got both of those tips from CC before sailing on that first cruise. I would also tell you that for my recent April 2017 cruise, I got a great tip, when someone on our roll call mentioned she just booked the week prior to the cruise because of the great price drops. That allowed me to upgrade. I had paid $979 base fare for a solo "Studio Room" and I had also pre-purchased the Thermal Spa pass for $199. When I looked just a week out, balconies were $649! So I was able to cancel my spa pass and for $32 more ($979 + $199 + $32) was in a Spa Mini Suite which included the Thermal Spa. The studio had provided me one freebie (beverage package) and the mini suite included two, so I got a much nicer room with balcony and three specialty dinners.

Also, since you mentioned you're in a m/s... I was VERY HAPPY with the LARGE shower in a spacious bathroom. Not sure if that difference between Princess and NCL may only apply on their newer ships. I do remember my balcony room on Jade had a larger shower compared to those on Princess.

Oh yes, you mentioned buffet in your original post.... at least on NCL Jade Dec 2012, I was more than impressed with the layout for people flow, the variety and quality of the food. That had been my first cruise in 25 years, so it was my benchmark to where I set my expectations. Thereafter both RCCL and Princess disappointed when it came to buffets. January 2014, my first Princess cruise, I thought the buffet area was small and cramped compared to NCL: there's no way Princess, on their Grand Class ships match the sprawling layout on NCL Jade. [Princess Royal Class ships address this shortcoming.]

Perhaps NCL has since discontinued this next thing.... but on the Dec 2012 11 day cruise, for several days leading up to it, the staff really talked-up "The Chocolate Buffet" which was presented late one evening. Quite impressive.

The more I type, the more I remember. "Gary," our cruise director on NCL Jade, seemed to ALWAYS BE THERE. He seemed to make all the announcements, be present in ports at the gangway in the morning and again in the afternoon before sailing, and at the beginning and conclusion of theater shows. Susan Rawlings on Coral Princess April 2016, is the ONLY Princess CD that I've bonded with in the same way.

So, OP, have a great trip on NCL. Princess may not see you for quite sometime.

And THANK YOU, Cruise Critic & OP for this thread: it's been like a therapy session [ :) ] for me as I realize, that despite my Princess Elite status benefits, sailing on NCL's smaller ships might be a better option occasionally for a change from Princess.

So here is a shocker (for some)! There are some folks who really enjoy dressing-up for formal nights. DW and I love casual (I don;t even wear shoes in my home) but we also are fine putting on our formal wear a few times a year. That being said, Princess and Cunard seem to be the last two lines to be sticking to the old formal format. And by the way, we have not purchased a formal picture (or any other picture) in our last 100 or so cruises. We used to get free 8x10 formal pictures on RCI...and finally realized that the photos just showed us getting older :).

Hank

Sorry but Cunard and P&O are far more formal than Princess and is genuinely adhered too for MDR. Princess is nowhere near as formal i.e.dinner suit and bow tie or dark suit and tie and is only anywhere near when cruising from UK. Formal dress is NOT a shirt and tie and no jacket or shirt and no tie and bomber style jacket which seems to be worn by many.

It does sound like you will have a good time with your group-- especially since it's a smaller ship.

Secondly, while a TA remains on my bucket list and based only upon last minute deep discounts I've seen for these cruises, your ship may not be full.

My first cruise on NCL was an 11 day out of Rome roundtrip, Dec 2012 on Jade, before school was out, and our ship was nowhere near full. It was a great cruise, the reason I bought a FCD (non-refundable $250 FCD that must be used in four years on a 7 day or more cruise. Incentive to purchase on board is a $100 credit to your current on board account.)

Princess is just launching the ability pre-cruise to reserve specialty dining on board. NCL had it back in 2012. INCENTIVE to book first night's dining in a specialty restaurant in advance: comp bottle of wine.

The other NCL tip is a coupon that will arrive in your room about 4 days in for "Wash & Fold" laundry service: as much as you can stuff in a laundry bag for $24.95. I had been traveling prior to the cruise and was glad to know from reading on CC about this, so I held off rather than immediately sending laundry out. The retail price of what I stuffed in that bag was $155.00!

I got both of those tips from CC before sailing on that first cruise. I would also tell you that for my recent April 2017 cruise, I got a great tip, when someone on our roll call mentioned she just booked the week prior to the cruise because of the great price drops. That allowed me to upgrade. I had paid $979 base fare for a solo "Studio Room" and I had also pre-purchased the Thermal Spa pass for $199. When I looked just a week out, balconies were $649! So I was able to cancel my spa pass and for $32 more ($979 + $199 + $32) was in a Spa Mini Suite which included the Thermal Spa. The studio had provided me one freebie (beverage package) and the mini suite included two, so I got a much nicer room with balcony and three specialty dinners.

Also, since you mentioned you're in a m/s... I was VERY HAPPY with the LARGE shower in a spacious bathroom. Not sure if that difference between Princess and NCL may only apply on their newer ships. I do remember my balcony room on Jade had a larger shower compared to those on Princess.

Oh yes, you mentioned buffet in your original post.... at least on NCL Jade Dec 2012, I was more than impressed with the layout for people flow, the variety and quality of the food. That had been my first cruise in 25 years, so it was my benchmark to where I set my expectations. Thereafter both RCCL and Princess disappointed when it came to buffets. January 2014, my first Princess cruise, I thought the buffet area was small and cramped compared to NCL: there's no way Princess, on their Grand Class ships match the sprawling layout on NCL Jade. [Princess Royal Class ships address this shortcoming.]

Perhaps NCL has since discontinued this next thing.... but on the Dec 2012 11 day cruise, for several days leading up to it, the staff really talked-up "The Chocolate Buffet" which was presented late one evening. Quite impressive.

The more I type, the more I remember. "Gary," our cruise director on NCL Jade, seemed to ALWAYS BE THERE. He seemed to make all the announcements, be present in ports at the gangway in the morning and again in the afternoon before sailing, and at the beginning and conclusion of theater shows. Susan Rawlings on Coral Princess April 2016, is the ONLY Princess CD that I've bonded with in the same way.

So, OP, have a great trip on NCL. Princess may not see you for quite sometime.

And THANK YOU, Cruise Critic & OP for this thread: it's been like a therapy session [ :) ] for me as I realize, that despite my Princess Elite status benefits, sailing on NCL's smaller ships might be a better option occasionally for a change from Princess.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear the entertainment on NCL is good. We stopped going to the Princess shows because they we're either bad or corny. And now since they are so short. Having to get there early and wait for it to start is almost as long as the show itself (exaggerating a little).

I've been lurking over on the NCL boards and saw this chatter about reservations for the show and I thought wow more nickel and diming thinking you had to pay. Apparently this is not the case. Reservations is a good idea. Probably cuts down on all the waiting for the show to start. It kind of takes away from the free-style aspect because you have to plan ahead.

Hank

My Mother used to feel the same way -- but when she was 80 we pointed out how good she looked in the photos from when she was 70!

Thank you for the positive post. Will be on the Crown August 26 from Southampton. Looking forward to it, inspite of some negativity here. It is what you make it ! . Will post when we return.

Let's not forget that cruise ships belch black smoke into the air 24/7/365.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And so do all those thousands of diesel trucks that hit the road every day bringing goods to stores that we purchase and enjoy. We're all contributing to "pollution." Methane gas that we belch is one of them - quit eating and breathing is the only solution. :evilsmile:

Thank you for the positive post. Will be on the Crown August 26 from Southampton. Looking forward to it, inspite of some negativity here. It is what you make it ! . Will post when we return.

We were on the same cruise and had no complaints with the food in MDR and the service was generally good with the odd poor evening. Where we were thoroughly disappointed with was the buffet at lunch times as the food was very repetitive and uninspiring and the service very poor compared to our other Princess cruises and think this was down to the obvious shortage of staff in the buffet.

We were on the same cruise and had no complaints with the food in MDR and the service was generally good with the odd poor evening. Where we were thoroughly disappointed with was the buffet at lunch times as the food was very repetitive and uninspiring and the service very poor compared to our other Princess cruises and think this was down to the obvious shortage of staff in the buffet.

That's good to hear. The HC's lunch buffet on any of the Princess ships isn't that impressive. I usually avoid it since there are other options. I order room service, grab a slice of pizza and a Caesar Salad or a hot dog and fries. If that's the only negative we encounter on the Crown, I can live with that. ;)

Because someone is shot in my city, shooting people should be tolerated?

Cruise lines are well aware of the problem. Most have or are in the process of improving the quality of ship exhausts.[/quote

Shooting people is tolerated in most major cities. In some cities like Chicago is it an acceptable way that gangs and other thugs do business.