Emerald Princess

Alaska Newbie

Should I stop reading the reviews?

Yup. It's good to keep up on posts here on the forum. But those reviews where no one can ask a question or correct an obvious misstatement are often left by someone who has an ax to grind, someone whose gripes can't survive a little cross-examination.

Jim

Perfect, thank you.

I'll stick to asking questions on here.

I just got off Emerald today; 16 Jul; I will be writing a review so watch for it. This is my first cruise with Princess line; and I have nothing but 5 stars for the entire trip; the ship; the crew; the cabin, the excursions. etc. so stay tuned

I just got off Emerald today; 16 Jul; I will be writing a review so watch for it. This is my first cruise with Princess line; and I have nothing but 5 stars for the entire trip; the ship; the crew; the cabin, the excursions. etc. so stay tuned

Excellent and great timing. :D

I can explain why it gets bad reviews. I have been on it and it is one of my least favourite ships. Many people who cruise Princess are used to ships being a certain size and catering to a certain number of passengers. If people also cruise with Celebrity Cruises and also do Princess then this could factor into the bad reviews.

The reason is that Emerald Princess has one extra passenger deck and crowds in more passengers than earlier versions of the ship. For this reason many Princess loyal passengers who know their ships and have been on many are likely to favour Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond and Sapphire over the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby. Similarly those who have cruised with Celebrity have sailed on much larger ships that carry much less passengers and tend to feel less crowded with more personalised service and a more relaxing cruise experience.

If there is another ship available that has less passengers then I would choose that ship.

We booked a ten day coastal cruise for September 2018. Should I stop reading the reviews? They sure don't make the ship sound too good.

I have been on the Emerald Princess for three 20 day cruises and we love the Emerald Princess!!!

Tony

Reviews are subjective. Sailed Emerald a couple times and we had a blast. Ship was clean, great crew and food was good as well. We did a Halloween cruise a couple years ago on Emerald which was a great time. Lots of folks dressed up, costume contest, prizes etc. Good time.

I have cruised on Grand Princess, Golden Princess, and Star Princess; and also Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, and soon, Emerald Princess. I have heard the "extra deck" argument and have noticed the tiniest difference in the number of passengers on board, but the only effect it has had is causing me to get to the Princess Theater a little sooner for a good seat. I book any of the ships without regard to it being one of the "bigger" ships. Where I do see a noticeable difference is on the Royal Class ships--I will not sail on them; but that is not what this thread is about.

Perfect, thank you. Can't wait to read it.

I know food is a touchy subject but wondering your thoughts on the meals.

Thank you for the comments. Have only been on the Sapphire in 2009 and then Liberty of the seas and Freedom of the Seas.

I did not really enjoy the Freedom and wasn't sure if I wanted to cruise again. But, next year is our 40th and my hubby enjoys wine so thought why not try the coastal 10 day cruise with California in the itinerary and go from Vancouver which means we will go to Victoria as well to visit our son.

And this cruise is actually when we celebrate our anniversary.

Edited by Alaska Newbie
punctuation

We board her in ONE WEEK so I'm looking forward to hearing everything!

We booked a ten day coastal cruise for September 2018. Should I stop reading the reviews? They sure don't make the ship sound too good.

Odds are that people with a negative opinion will write up a review more often than those who have a positive opinion. We sailed on board the Emerald this past June. We loved Share (even after reading all the negative reviews and opinions), ate at Salty dog twice (even after reading all the negative reviews and opinions), and did Crown Grill as well. The rest of the nights, we ate at the dinning room without any complaints.

For the most part in my opinion, a cruise is what YOU make of it. We have never had a cruise so bad that swore we would never cruise that line or ship again. We have had a few incidents but nothing that could not be resolved.

On this last cruise (on board the Emerald_, I had to complaints. The first one, turns out, it was my fault as the moved the venue for the debarkation lounge for Platinum, Elite and Suites. The second one was that one suite case was damaged so bad upon debarkation that we simply threw it away. Yes, we did file a damage report but decided simply to throw it away (it was a cheap one). .

Would be sail aboard the Emerald? This was our second time on board that ship, and yes, we would sail on board the Emerald again.

We have sailed on the Caribbean, Ruby and Crown - all sister ships - as well as the Emerald. We will be on the Emerald again in March but next three cruises this year are on the Ruby. The Emerald is a great ship and as others have pointed out take the criticisms with a grain of salt. Pax are far more likely to post a negative report if they feel they have had a bad experience that those that had a great time. Remember the ship holds over 3000 pax so compare that against a few bad reports. Most seem to be enjoying the ship and cruise.