Replacing stateroom air filter

It's interesting they don't change these on a regular schedule as it saves energy when the system doesn't have to force air through a dirty filter.

I will definitely have to follow up on this as I have asthma and one cruise was using my nebulizer because something was triggering me and I couldn't figure out what. I even asked the room attendant to use as little cleaning solution as possible in case that was the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No one said they weren't being changed on a regular schedule. Some may have been overlooked, but typically, these are changed monthly. Since these filters are just for the recirculated air in your cabin, the previous occupants have a lot of effect on how quickly they become clogged. There are HEPA filters on the fresh air handlers that are either changed monthly or cleaned monthly if permanent.

As for viruses, and "cruise crud" upper respiratory problems, the air handlers have sanitizing pads in them to kill molds, mildews, viruses and bacteria. Most UR problems are likely caused by the very dry A/C air drying out the mucus membranes in the nose and throat, allowing viruses and bacteria to enter the body.

Some ships have the individual cabin chillers under the bathroom sink, and the filter will be located there, and not behind the register.

No one said they weren't being changed on a regular schedule. Some may have been overlooked, but typically, these are changed monthly. Since these filters are just for the recirculated air in your cabin, the previous occupants have a lot of effect on how quickly they become clogged. There are HEPA filters on the fresh air handlers that are either changed monthly or cleaned monthly if permanent.

As for viruses, and "cruise crud" upper respiratory problems, the air handlers have sanitizing pads in them to kill molds, mildews, viruses and bacteria. Most UR problems are likely caused by the very dry A/C air drying out the mucus membranes in the nose and throat, allowing viruses and bacteria to enter the body.

Some ships have the individual cabin chillers under the bathroom sink, and the filter will be located there, and not behind the register.

Thanks i always blame the air con for that.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

As always, Chief, a treasure trove of knowledge. Thank you for your contributions.

So when these filters are, say 80% clogged/obscured, is there a filter bypass (passive path of least resistance to the air flow) or does the overall effectiveness of the air handler just go down the tubes?

As always, Chief, a treasure trove of knowledge. Thank you for your contributions.

So when these filters are, say 80% clogged/obscured, is there a filter bypass (passive path of least resistance to the air flow) or does the overall effectiveness of the air handler just go down the tubes?

No, no bypass, which is why they are changed on a calendar basis, rather than any actual clogging indication. Just like in your home, if the filter clogs too much, it will start to force itself down the duct, and the edges will bend/deform and the airflow will bypass. The large, fresh air handler filters (which are several square feet of area, think 4' x 6' or larger) will typically have clogging indicators on them. Many of the cabin filters are not even the pleated, cardboard edged filters used in homes, but are simply woven polyester filter material cut to size from large rolls.

Many of the cabin filters are not even the pleated, cardboard edged filters used in homes, but are simply woven polyester filter material cut to size from large rolls.

:eek: why did you have to mention that? Now we'll have threads about people asking if they can bring their own better filter on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, no bypass, which is why they are changed on a calendar basis, rather than any actual clogging indication. Just like in your home, if the filter clogs too much, it will start to force itself down the duct, and the edges will bend/deform and the airflow will bypass. The large, fresh air handler filters (which are several square feet of area, think 4' x 6' or larger) will typically have clogging indicators on them. Many of the cabin filters are not even the pleated, cardboard edged filters used in homes, but are simply woven polyester filter material cut to size from large rolls.

Got it. I've seen the individual cabin filters being changed on turn-around day on B2Bs on both Radiance and Freedom classes, so I know what you are saying about woven poly - and I can imaging the main air handler filters are pretty big.

My personal gauge has always been - if I make sure that something was completely wiped clean in the morning (think coffee table) - if I can clearly write on it with my finger that night - I nicely ask maintenance for a filter change.

This is silly. I'm sure they get changed when they need to be. Can we get the curtains changed too? What about the phone? All of these things that do not need attention get so much attention because someone mentions them on a message board. Maybe we can get the airline to change their air cabin filter before we board so we don't get sick on the flight down.

I wonder what RCI 's reaction will be when a lot of folks start asking for their cabin filters be changed.

We represent less than 1% in every ship, they won't even noticed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haha! This made my day. Oldest son is an AC man and we are currently at the beach on vacation and yes the first thing he did was check the filters! He does that at my house too. I buy them by the case and never have to change filters because he does it,

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Forums mobile app

It shows how important they are and it is good that is confirmed by the opinion of a professional in this area.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

This would interest me as I was ill for most of the 19 nights on our last cruise and have an 11 night cruise coming up.

Throughout last cruise in lifts etc all you could hear was 'seal' coughing as lots of passengers struggled with respiratory illnesses. Of course if you're ill advised to stay in cabin and air con always made me feel worse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

\

The cough and sore throat! Been there a few times. It's the A/C air is so dry in the cabins. So I grabbed a blanket and slept on the deck chair a few nights. Cleared it up. Another thought is to open your sliding glass door and let the sea air filter in. All weather permitting of coarse.

\

Another thought is to open your sliding glass door and let the sea air filter in. All weather permitting of coarse.

Please do not do this, as this has an adverse effect on the A/C in the surrounding group of cabins.

Always travel with a mini-mag light (actually two)...and assumed other's did too...this is just another use for it.

LOL! I prefer my snail light that is magnetic and sticks to the walls. I usually put it above my head and it's there if I need to get up in the night...its about the size of a 50 cent piece.

t5ras7.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I had the best time on my Royal Caribean cruise last month but I got sick. I think it was maybe mildew or mold. I saw a bit of mildew but nothing major. I'm checking the air filter next time and I might bring a plug-in air purifier. Fingers crossed it's not on the banned list.