Why no Celebrity cruises to Norway or Iceland in 2018?

wwinfl91

I am on an Ireland, Iceland Scotland cruise April 30th on the Celebrity Eclipse... overnights in Reykjavik Iceland and also a day in Akureyri Iceland. This cruise itinerary goes three dates... one in April and two in May.

Azamara has a wonderful 15 day Norway cruise in July 2018 that embarks in Edinburgh and ends in Copenhagen. We're going!! Join us. Transfer your captain's club status - we've never been on AZ but as elite+ we'll enjoy reciprocal benefits.

We were on the Serenade of the Seas in May with a seven day sailing from Copenhagen to Copenhagen with ports along the Norwegian coast. They only offered two of these sailings this year. It was totally a timing issue since we'd always prefer to be on the X or Azamara.

The Celebrity June fjord cruise just didn't work time wise. And, for us, the rest of the short summer season was a no go.

Perhaps someone from the June cruise can add their impressions but North Americans (Canada and US) were at par or in the minority of the passengers.

Scandinavia is basically more expensive than most of Europe. We've been in the area on three cruises so we were aware of the price of travel and cuisine.

The ports other than Bergen are small with few excursion possibilities. Geringer, for example, only has a population of 250 permanent residents. Small ports combined with popular land based tours, and camping trips makes for a challenging itinerary that would please cruise passengers.

The weather might be another factor. Our cruise was in mid May and we were not certain when we sailed if some of the trips into the coastal mountains would be open. If I were a hiker I'd have to think long and hard about planning a trip with so many uncertainties. And, the normal rainfall in this part of the world might be another determining factor. Think Alaska on steroids. We also sailed to and from Copenhagen in very dense fog. Two days with no visibility made some of the passengers a little nervous. But it didn't bother us and I guess we've been extremely lucky to have once again sailed in the North Sea with seas as smooth as glass.

We loved the National Constitution Day festivities in Alesund but many of the normal excursion options were limited or totally unavailable that day.

If we were to go back we'd definitely opt for a longer cruise, preferably on Azamara. If only their timing had worked out. And they had great b2b itinerary driven cruise(s) with all of the ports we would have loved to have visited.

I know this only pertains to our May voyage but docks and tender spots are limited in such small ports.

Those are just some of my thoughts about why Celebrity might have chosen to drop the itinerary. It's a shame because this is a wonderful place to sail.

Serenade has an Arctic Circle cruise in June that also stops at many of the Fjords. In August she has a trans-Atlantic that has stops in Iceland and Greenland as well as many other rarely visited ports. It has been sold out for a long time but occasionally one or two cabins open up. We are on both.

Azamara has a wonderful 15 day Norway cruise in July 2018 that embarks in Edinburgh and ends in Copenhagen. We're going!! Join us. Transfer your captain's club status - we've never been on AZ but as elite+ we'll enjoy reciprocal benefits.

You'll love it! Having done Norway on Celebrity, Azamara is a whole new experience. Probably one of my favourite ever cruises.

Phil

• 5 months later...

I am seeing a few on Celebrity's website with availability...

Norway - Silhouette 30/4/18 from Southampton

Norway - Eclipse 20/5/18 from Dublin

Norway - Silhouette 1/9/18 from Southampton

Iceland - Eclipse 30/4/18 10/5/18 28/5/18 from Dublin

Iceland - Silhouette 18/8/18 from Southampton

Similar for 2019 :)