Chilled soups?

marianneyaya

They had them every day at lunch this past March on Epic in the Epic Club, the suite restaurant.

I was very happy. They are refreshing and very delicious.

I never went to the buffet so cannot comment on that. I used to see them in the buffet on prior cruises, on accasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Recent cruisers....does NCL still have chilled soup on the menu? I hope so!!

I ask.

I ask the head chief point blank @ the C.C. M & G " will there be chilled fruit soup in the Buffet ".

Most just smile and nod.:D.

• 2 weeks later...
Something on the order of "Vichyssoise" ?

A delicious cold potato soup with herbs and spices etc.

Have not seen it on any cruise ship that I have sailed on.

I am recently off Celebrity Solstice, and they had quite a number of chilled soups, both in the main dining room and the buffet. I recall a gazpacho, a vichyssoise (I think they just called it leek and potato), a pear and almond soup, and I believe there were others.

I don't think I am a fan of the chilled fruit-based soups... to me these always just taste like melted ice cream.

Something on the order of "Vichyssoise" ?

A delicious cold potato soup with herbs and spices etc.

Have not seen it on any cruise ship that I have sailed on.

NO! The chilled soups are fruit soups that are more like dessert. Absolutely delicious. In the past I've ordered it in place of dessert sometimes.

I am recently off Celebrity Solstice, and they had quite a number of chilled soups, both in the main dining room and the buffet. I recall a gazpacho, a vichyssoise (I think they just called it leek and potato), a pear and almond soup, and I believe there were others.

I don't think I am a fan of the chilled fruit-based soups... to me these always just taste like melted ice cream.

Agreed. The best part of soup is that it's warm. Chilled soup to me would be like drinking a hot beer... ewwww.

Agreed. The best part of soup is that it's warm. Chilled soup to me would be like drinking a hot beer... ewwww.

NO! You must try it! It's like a milk shake!! SO GOOD! They must call is "soup" because it's liquidy!

NO! You must try it! It's like a milk shake!! SO GOOD! They must call is "soup" because it's liquidy!

Yeah. That doesn't make it more appetizing. Not much of a milkshake person, definitely not fruit flavored milk shakes and certainly not at the beginning of my meal. I've tried gazpacho and it's is terrible. Chilled soups are just not for me. Now the potato and leek soup someone mentioned sounds wonderful if they would just stick it in the microwave first [emoji39].

I am willing to bet that the variation of availability of fruit soups is down to whether the fruit is getting over-ripe in storage. It may not be presentable as fruit but perfectly OK as soup - just a thought.

Somehow I get this idea that fruit at its most ripen stage is prime to make some high proof alcoholic drink or a candied liquor aka pre-mix for a Mai Tai (151 rum). Soups on - the bar is Open !

They moved the fruit soups to lunch. Not into gazpacho or cold potatoes but I sure do love those fruit soups. Thanks for the info.

To me they taste more like fruit purees.

Milkshakes

That gives me an idea. I can use the soup as a topping on ice cream.

I still would like to see them at dinner. They're refreshing after a hot day in port.

Edited by Cruise4Twos

• 5 months later...

Just an update for chilled fruit soup fans. Thanks to tips on this board, I knew to look for chilled fruit soup in the buffet during the afternoon snack time when I was on the Jewel & the Jade in the last couple of years - they had them every day. Just got off the Escape earlier this month, and I looked for them in the buffet area during lunch time several times and didn't see them. However, on our last day on the ship, happened to be in the buffet around 3:30 pm or so, and saw it with a sign "chilled fruit soup of the day". "Of the day"! So it seems they have it every day, but the trick is you do have to wait for the post-lunch afternoon snack time, like on the Jewel-class ships. Just didn't work out with my schedule this time around to enjoy it more than once. (Although I had two bowls of it to make up for it :') - was mixed berry and was yummy.)