Formal dress?

George C

Oh, no! Now you will get conflicting answers. Personally, I wear a suit. Some wear a tux. Some wear a long sleeved shirt and a tie. Some will tell you to wear anything you want and to heck with everybody else.

You can always just dress "Smart Casual" on formal night and eat at a venue other than MDR. Specialty restaurants are smart casual at all times.

OMG yet another formal night question - pass the popcorn! :eek:

Since the OP asked and I was on a r/t AK cruise out of Seattle, I wore a guayabera and docker pants and did not have any problems. Since it was an AK cruise, it definitely trended towards less formal wear. Go to the MDR on formal night but just not wear jeans or a tshirt. Cruise on!

we have some friends doing Alaska next month ,they want to know about formal dress requirements, we cruise a lot but have not done princess in a while

You came to the right place even though people may struggle in providing appropriate help.....basically on Princess you can wear whatever you want on formal nights and do not listen to the nay sayers.....:halo:

I look at Formal Nights as dressing up to go on a special date with my wife to a very nice restaurant. I wear a tux or dinner jacket and never feel over dressed. Other men wear dark suites and nice ties.

Not every one does this. Some men dress like they are going out to dinner with Hugo Chavez or Pablo Escobar and in my opinion , look somewhat out of place.

Formal nights on Princess are not like going to the prom, but more like going to dinner and a theater evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For us formal nights are a good excuse to get dressed up - OH wears a smart suit and tie (leaves tux at home now as felt out of place). I always wear long evening dress and yes even with airport weight restrictions manage to pack 2/3 different dresses. Basically its up to you, whatever you are comfortable wearing you will see lots of different styles on board and none are wrong - except the shorts and flip flops ha ha. Although on one formal night I felt unwell and we decided to skip dinner completely - went to the shop to get some tablets and got some terrible dirty looks from people in the lift who were all dressed up - they looked at me as though I had crawled out from under a stone - but you will always get those who think they are better than everyone else - do your own thing and most importantly ENJOY

Never had any dirty looks, never felt out of place and I am always casually dressed on formal nights. After all, formal dress is an option.

Frankly, I would have a good time with anyone who shot me a dirty look (they would think twice about doing this to anyone else in the future).

It's your vacation, you paid for it.

On formal nights my husband still wears a tux, my kids dress in suits that I will have to keep buying annually at the rate they are growing, but we enjoy dressing up on our cruises. Some men wear jackets, others don't. I would agree that you should make yourself comfortable but be respectful of the attire recommendations from Princess knowing not everyone is. Some people get away with more than others, some people are turned away when others in similar outfits made it through and were seated in the MDR. Princess is inconsistent on how they react to dress attire, but really I worry about what my family is wearing and not about policing or criticizing what others are wearing.

You will find this topic gets a lot of commentary, and eye rolls and popcorn.... If you follow the Princess website you know you will be allowed to dine in the MDR on formal nights. If you bend the rules, but look nice, you more than likely will be allowed in, but should not be upset if you are not.

From the Princess Website regarding Clothing Recommendations:

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Those so called dirty looks are all in the minds of the people who feel they're not complying with the dress code.

Once people realize it's only suggested, as others have found out, their inhibitions are quickly dispelled.

Princess does realize that not everyone wants to dress up in order to eat in the dining room & allows for them to do so by stating the minimum requirements as "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks, while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

Remember - these are only recommendations. You don't have to wear a tux, a gown, a suit, or even a tie.

Cruise lines like to make money on photos taken and sold during the optional formal nights; that's why they have them.

Princess tends to be fairly lax on the Alaskan cruises due to the nature of the cruise and the more informal dress standards in Alaska. Many male diners are seated with open collared dress shirts, without a jacket. Even saw a few polo shirts.

we have some friends doing Alaska next month ,they want to know about formal dress requirements, we cruise a lot but have not done princess in a while

Princess tends to be fairly lax on the Alaskan cruises due to the nature of the cruise and the more informal dress standards in Alaska. Many male diners are seated with open collared dress shirts, without a jacket. Even saw a few polo shirts.

This tends to be true of the Caribbean also. I'm not sure if if it's the relaxed dress code in general or because the Caribbean is generally more casual than most places anyway.

On formal nights my husband still wears a tux, my kids dress in suits that I will have to keep buying annually at the rate they are growing, but we enjoy dressing up on our cruises. Some men wear jackets, others don't. I would agree that you should make yourself comfortable but be respectful of the attire recommendations from Princess knowing not everyone is. Some people get away with more than others, some people are turned away when others in similar outfits made it through and were seated in the MDR. Princess is inconsistent on how they react to dress attire, but really I worry about what my family is wearing and not about policing or criticizing what others are wearing.

You will find this topic gets a lot of commentary, and eye rolls and popcorn.... If you follow the Princess website you know you will be allowed to dine in the MDR on formal nights. If you bend the rules, but look nice, you more than likely will be allowed in, but should not be upset if you are not.

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Yes......:)

This tends to be true of the Caribbean also. I'm not sure if if it's the relaxed dress code in general or because the Caribbean is generally more casual than most places anyway.

Right, the formal wearers are definitely the minority in the Caribbean. Although there are enough to block the staircase.