Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

I read your link, we've had the local networks on in my company and home non-stop with local channels and it hasn't been reported. We also know CNN has no history in fabricating news

Not saying someone didn't make the claim, but the police presence is amazing in the recovery effort and nothing from them either.

I agree. When CNN reports something, it always has to be verified through other sources. Here's one where another source goes a little further to say that people are posing as those needing help, and attempting to rob the rescuers of their boats. I don't know this site, so can't speak to its credibility:

http://1079ishot.com/cajun-navy-members-shot-at/

Edited by Aquahound

I had called my PVP this morning to check in - which is why he called me this evening. The official news was given to them about 15 minutes before he called me and that was about 5:55 pm CST. We are going to take our 25% and sail on my husband's birthday next year. BTW - it has already fallen off my upcoming cruise page on Carnival.

That didn't originate from a news source, it was some rando on twitter. Probably the same as the flooded airplanes. I know everyone likes to apply the term "fake news" to anything that disagrees with their personal dogma, but it's not that hard to find actual news with quoted or cited sources. You just have to get off social media sites to do it.

I agree. When CNN reports something, it always has to be verified through other sources. Here's one where another source goes a little further to say that people are posing as those needing help, and attempting to rob the rescuers of their boats. I don't know this site, so can't speak to its credibility:

http://1079ishot.com/cajun-navy-members-shot-at/

The radio station link shared the source as HLN or Headline News and CNN, one in the same. We've had two local networks on non-stop, talked with two LEO's working the Cypress Creek area and not one mention. If I were in media I would want to scoop my competition. Some areas where they are do have problems, but local sources haven't reported anything, you know they'd be seething to do so.

It's still raining. Water went up and down in front of our home six times. Eight hours sleep sounds good tonight. We're amazingly lucky so far.

Went back and checked your city. The Conquest came here under sad circumstances. That ship was built for NOLA, the lounges and theater have Creole names. It revitalized the cruise industry from the Ecstasy and Elation to a new ship. My Knights of Columbus chapter worked lots of hours at the Astrodome with NOLA evacs.

The attached photo is my fishing buddy's and my "girlfriend" as our wives say. Not so good.

.c23ec12e86438461b88242a02680fd60.jpg

Edited by BallFour4

If anyone's interested in seeing professional/amateur discussion of the storm (which is still ongoing, and may be re-forming over the Gulf?) this has been a wealth of info. I wouldn't recommend posting unless you know what you're talking about. They really hate questions like "will the airport be running on Saturday". (I don't post, just lurk.)

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50179-tropical-storm-harvey/?page=153

If anyone's interested in seeing professional/amateur discussion of the storm (which is still ongoing, and may be re-forming over the Gulf?) this has been a wealth of info. I wouldn't recommend posting unless you know what you're talking about. They really hate questions like "will the airport be running on Saturday". (I don't post, just lurk.)

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50179-tropical-storm-harvey/?page=153

Quite interesting, read around the last 10-12 pages. Appears there are some people who think some levees may spill over later tonight creating additional flooding. Noting a 9pm news conference and it being played down meanwhile the water continues to rise and get closer to spill level. In addition they are mentioning there may be some very intense rain bands over the next 5-7 hrs which will raise the water level itself.

Have been following this thread for several days. Did not really have anything to contribute but appreciate the civility of the thread given the "nature" of the situation that has occurred and is still to come. Props to Spleenstomper who at the outset gave the disclaimer of not being an expert but rather a weather enthusiast. For not being an expert, she most certainly did a wonderful job of interpreting and explaining and providing other sources.

Thoughts & prayers to those who are & will be experiencing Harvey, the aftermath and long recovery. Also to those who have had the disappointment of a planned vacation disrupted or or cancelled. While not nearly as significant, we are all on this board because we love cruising.

Have been following this thread for several days. Did not really have anything to contribute but appreciate the civility of the thread given the "nature" of the situation that has occurred and is still to come. Props to Spleenstomper who at the outset gave the disclaimer of not being an expert but rather a weather enthusiast. For not being an expert' date=' she most certainly did a wonderful job of interpreting and explaining and providing other sources.

Thoughts & prayers to those who are & will be experiencing Harvey, the aftermath and long recovery. Also to those who have had the disappointment of a planned vacation disrupted or or cancelled. While not nearly as significant, we are all on this board because we love cruising.[/quote']

Nice post and I totally agree. I've also been over at the Royal board and it can get pretty snarly.:*

Nice post and I totally agree. I've also been over at the Royal board and it can get pretty snarly.:*

Agree with your post 100%. While many on the RCCL board are saying that CCL leapfrogged RCCL in how this situation was handled, it's missed by all that the RCCL board on CC has leapfrogged the CCL board in snarkiness.

Maybe one causes the other, could be a chicken/egg thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With another tropical system off the North Carolina coast, and another low pressure brewing in the Atlantic, the cruising weather situation could continue to be pretty interesting over the next couple weeks. The National Hurricane Center is saying that new low pressure is likely to become a tropical depression in the next 2 or 3 days, and it is tracking west-northwest. Looks like September cruisers will need to stay weather aware.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

Hi, has anyone heard anythig else about the ccl valor? My boss is on it and the last I heard they stopped in New Orleans for supplies...has anyone heard if Galveston is flooded at the port parking and if they open the port will they be able to get off the island?

This has been covered in the last two pages. The ports are at condition Zulu, closed. The lots have not been flooded but access roads may not be useable to get to them.

There has not been a new update from Carnival since 6:30 PM.

Hi, has anyone heard anythig else about the ccl valor? My boss is on it and the last I heard they stopped in New Orleans for supplies...has anyone heard if Galveston is flooded at the port parking and if they open the port will they be able to get off the island?

Port of Galveston has been posting Harvey updates here. They continue to say that the 2 official port parking lots are not flooded, but a couple days ago I read the road to get to the parking lots was flooded. Port of Galveston posted information about available resources for anyone who does get stranded, and says the special rates require cruise documentation. POG also has Carnival's latest update posted below their own update. From everything I've read, Galveston island isn't as bad off as northern Galveston County is.

http://www.portofgalveston.com/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=INFORMATION-PORT-CONDITIONS-PARKING-CRUI-25

Here is a recent article (it says 50 mins ago) from Galveston County Daily News:

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_f1e2c8e4-964a-5cbd-9ca4-4aa2ef8999e8.html

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_ac7314c7-00d4-5e6a-8d44-924da72c15d7.html

Edited by winddawn

I read your link, we've had the local networks on in my company and home non-stop with local channels and it hasn't been reported. We also know CNN has no history in fabricating news

Not saying someone didn't make the claim, but the police presence is amazing in the recovery effort and nothing from them either.

Despite problems from the media, they are still a lot more accurate than 99% of websites. Just because something is not written about in a small sphere of influence doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

Local news station has credibility problems also, look up Sinclair Media, the largest syndicate of local channels.

Here is two local news station on the shooting, I can understand why the Houston news station chose not to report on the news, it will spread panic and halt recovery by volunteers.

http://wgno.com/2017/08/28/cajun-navy-coming-up-with-new-plan-after-looters-shoot-at-boats-try-to-steal-them/

http://www.katc.com/story/36236179/cnn-cajun-navy-member-says-he-was-shot-at

I also saw a interview with several Cajun navy volunteers as well as a police officer commenting on the shooting.

Port of Galveston has been posting Harvey updates here. They continue to say that the 2 official port parking lots are not flooded, but a couple days ago I read the road to get to the parking lots was flooded. Port of Galveston posted information about available resources for anyone who does get stranded, and says the special rates require cruise documentation. POG also has Carnival's latest update posted below their own update. From everything I've read, Galveston island isn't as bad off as northern Galveston County is.

http://www.portofgalveston.com/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=INFORMATION-PORT-CONDITIONS-PARKING-CRUI-25

Here is a recent article (it says 50 mins ago) from Galveston County Daily News:

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_f1e2c8e4-964a-5cbd-9ca4-4aa2ef8999e8.html

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_ac7314c7-00d4-5e6a-8d44-924da72c15d7.html

Thank you for your answers without being snarky....I have been googling about it and having a hard time finding that info...

Thank you for your answers without being snarky....I have been googling about it and having a hard time finding that info...

I'm happy to try to help. I hope it works out well for your boss. I can imagine it could be unnerving to be on a ship and not know what the immediate future holds. It seems a lot of the media coverage has focused on the greater Houston area. From reading the Galveston news today, it sounds like the worst for them so far has been last night and earlier today. I hope they're out of harm's way very soon.

Did your boss drive to POG or fly into Houston?

ABC Houston has been streaming live coverage 24/7:

http://abc13.com/weather/live-extended-coverage-of-historic-houston-flooding/2342601/

Edited by winddawn

News alert - been following this thread, we empathize with all those as we live thru Sandy in 2012 here in NY.

Anyone planning to return to the Houston area, you are better off staying onboard the ships for as long as possible, please do not attempt to go back unless you have solid plans, etc. Many who stayed behind & sheltered in place are still trapped and waiting for rescue and evacuation by first responders.

Reason: within the past hour - the Columbia River dam and levee has been breached, south of Houston - residents are urged to leave immediately. SMS and text alerts, etc. have been pushed out to warn those in the surrounding area. Harvey will be making a 2nd. landfall between TX and NOLA, pulling in water from the Gulf and dumping more rain. Rivers, streams and flooded roads are not expected to crest for days before slowly recede to allow for damage assessment, cleanup, recovery, accounting for survivors and the long term rebuilding, etc.

For those onboard the ships, please stay tuned to your news sources & weather update/alerts, if and when you have access to.

Reminder for those planning to leave the ship, please do you best to take clean bottled water with you - as availability in the disaster area are and will remain limited. Ship's water are potable and perfectly safe to drink. Think smart and be safe - regards !