Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

Have been following this thread for several days. Did not really have anything to contribute but appreciate the civility of the thread given the "nature" of the situation that has occurred and is still to come. Props to Spleenstomper who at the outset gave the disclaimer of not being an expert but rather a weather enthusiast. For not being an expert' date=' she most certainly did a wonderful job of interpreting and explaining and providing other sources.

Thoughts & prayers to those who are & will be experiencing Harvey, the aftermath and long recovery. Also to those who have had the disappointment of a planned vacation disrupted or or cancelled. While not nearly as significant, we are all on this board because we love cruising.[/quote']

Aww, you're welcome. I'm a weather nerd since I was a child..

If I may toot my own horn, my first child is an environmental science/geographic information systems double major at Louisiana Tech and for my next two (twins): one will go into the same at La Tech and the other will major in it at ULL (Lafayette).

So my dad passed interest in weather to my brother and me and I have been able to pass it to my children. My second son wants to be a city emergency manager.

Edited by spleenstomper

I'm happy to try to help. I hope it works out well for your boss. I can imagine it could be unnerving to be on a ship and not know what the immediate future holds. It seems a lot of the media coverage has focused on the greater Houston area. From reading the Galveston news today, it sounds like the worst for them so far has been last night and earlier today. I hope they're out of harm's way very soon.

Did your boss drive to POG or fly into Houston?

ABC Houston has been streaming live coverage 24/7:

http://abc13.com/weather/live-extended-coverage-of-historic-houston-flooding/2342601/

He drove in and is parked at the port...to make matters worse, this is their first cruise ever and I talked him and his family into going...

Despite problems from the media, they are still a lot more accurate than 99% of websites. Just because something is not written about in a small sphere of influence doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

Local news station has credibility problems also, look up Sinclair Media, the largest syndicate of local channels.

Here is two local news station on the shooting, I can understand why the Houston news station chose not to report on the news, it will spread panic and halt recovery by volunteers.

http://wgno.com/2017/08/28/cajun-navy-coming-up-with-new-plan-after-looters-shoot-at-boats-try-to-steal-them/

http://www.katc.com/story/36236179/cnn-cajun-navy-member-says-he-was-shot-at

I also saw a interview with several Cajun navy volunteers as well as a police officer commenting on the shooting.

Read the link attached to the second story. You will find this.

Cajun Navy posts: We weren't attacked, we haven't "regrouped"

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 9:11 AM CDT

Updated: Aug 29, 2017 10:31 AM CDT

At least two Cajun Navy leaders have denied claims that they're regrouping or leaving Texas because some of the volunteers were shot at in Houston this week. One leader says the allegations are holding up her efforts to dispatch assistance to those in need.

Clyde Cain was quoted in the media as saying he heard that one of his crews was shot at by alleged looters. Houston Police were involved, he said. However, Houston authorities say they have no reports of any such incident, the Associated Press reports.

Cain's original post on Louisiana Cajun Navy about the incident has been removed, but a video on the news coverage so far on this incident is still on the page.

He drove in and is parked at the port...to make matters worse, this is their first cruise ever and I talked him and his family into going...

So he's not on the ship now, but waiting to get on the ship. If you've talked to him, is he seeing flooding around the port area? It looks pretty rough on the webcams:

http://www.galveston.com/strandvideocam/

Read the link attached to the second story. You will find this.

Cajun Navy posts: We weren't attacked, we haven't "regrouped"

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 9:11 AM CDT

Updated: Aug 29, 2017 10:31 AM CDT

At least two Cajun Navy leaders have denied claims that they're regrouping or leaving Texas because some of the volunteers were shot at in Houston this week. One leader says the allegations are holding up her efforts to dispatch assistance to those in need.

Clyde Cain was quoted in the media as saying he heard that one of his crews was shot at by alleged looters. Houston Police were involved, he said. However, Houston authorities say they have no reports of any such incident, the Associated Press reports.

Cain's original post on Louisiana Cajun Navy about the incident has been removed, but a video on the news coverage so far on this incident is still on the page.

As of 8 minutes ago the Louisiana Cajun Navy is still performing rescues in Houston & surrounding cities. You can follow them on Facebook to get accurate information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As of 8 minutes ago the Louisiana Cajun Navy is still performing rescues in Houston & surrounding cities. You can follow them on Facebook to get accurate information. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're helping feed them where they are staying in Deer Park. Powerful testimony from this group of volunteers. They just located a Houston Police Officer that drowned trying to get to work...

It looks like Galveston is getting hammered now.

A coworker of mine lives in Beaumont, TX. They are experiencing Tropical Storm force winds, and his house in the process of going under right now. He's on higher ground and safe, but he's watching as he slowly loses everything. :(

Just spoke to my friend in Galveston. Boss said they are not expecting anyone to have to come in until Thursday for ship operations at the earliest. No one from their company has been in the terminal building to check for any damages that they know of. If there is damage this may delay ships returns and affect luggage handling etc when ships do get in.

Again, advice from them is if you do not need to come back to Galveston to get something you are probably better off disembarking in NOLA or Miami (RCCL) and flying straight home from there.

Galveston is seeing some heavy rain today. They are on the third floor of a building which so far has been mostly dry inside except for some water around the main doorway. Still has an ancient flip phone so no photos to be sent, they have power but it has flickered.

A coworker of mine lives in Beaumont, TX. They are experiencing Tropical Storm force winds, and his house in the process of going under right now. He's on higher ground and safe, but he's watching as he slowly loses everything. :(

Yes it has been a trying time for all of us experiencing all of the flooding. I work for an Ear, Nose, Throat & Allergy clinic with 12 locations in Houston & surrounding cities. We have patients with emergencies that we can not help. Several hospitals have been evacuated so it is hard for us to tell them where to go. Several of our doctors have had their houses flooded & lost everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aww, you're welcome. I'm a weather nerd since I was a child..

If I may toot my own horn, my first child is an environmental science/geographic information systems double major at Louisiana Tech and for my next two (twins): one will go into the same at La Tech and the other will major in it at ULL (Lafayette).

So my dad passed interest in weather to my brother and me and I have been able to pass it to my children. My second son wants to be a city emergency manager.

Nice to see that you have passed your passion for weather on to your children - what a wonderful legacy!

I have been following this thread for the same weather related reason.

My empathy goes out to all those affected by this massive weather event.

Houston is now under a 10 p.m. curfew due to heavy looting and armed robberies. With the Guard now on place, the Houston police are free to go after looting crews. Longest possible sentences promised for all crominals captured so far, as well as future arrestees.

Houston is now under a 10 p.m. curfew due to heavy looting and armed robberies. With the Guard now on place, the Houston police are free to go after looting crews. Longest possible sentences promised for all crominals captured so far, as well as future arrestees.

Midnight, not 10pm according to KHOU.

http://www.khou.com/weather/houston-weather-forecast/62951506