Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

No we just called. They won't offer it since it we changed it before they offered the 25%. It's reserved for the people who held out hoping to still go on the cruise " is what they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's bull if we already booked another of course we were still wanting to go.

That's bull if we already booked another of course we were still wanting to go.

Yes I agree. That's why we called to ask. When we called to "cancel" we also booked another one right then.

Yes I agree. That's why we called to ask. When we called to "cancel" we also booked another one right then.

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. Royal has lost our future business just seeing how they have treated you guys during this disaster.

Assuming you were Royal, not Carnival. Did Carnival not give you the credit?!

Ahh, ya' gotta' love John Heald's subtle, but clever pun!

"While Hurricane Harvey was downgraded to a tropical storm yesterday, the storm continues to generate significant rainfall in Galveston and Houston, which has caused severe flooding. The heavy rains are impacting the roads leading in and out of Galveston. The port announced it will be closed for at least the next 24 hours, so our earliest potential opportunity to debark current guests is on Tuesday. As you can imagine, this is a fluid situation"

I almost missed it!

Edited by DryCreek
Speln airer - Jon don't = John!

It was announced earlier today that both Houston airports are closed. HOU's runways are under water. The highway, I45, to the island has been closed so no traffic can get to Galveston at this time. CCL remains hopeful that their three ships can get into Galveston Monday or Tuesday. It has been announced that current pax's vehicles parked in Galveston parking lots are safe but many streets are closed. As reported below the RCCL ship is headed to MIA. I feel sorry for all those on the four ships right now not knowing when they will be able to disembark.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/08/27/harvey-cancellations-soar-3-000-all-houston-hobby-flights-grounded-sunday/606011001/

That is all the "good" news. I was watching our local weather report (San Antonio) and they are predicting that Harvey who is now near Victoria and moving south towards the Gulf will be going back into the Gulf, turning east and coming back onto land just west of Houston. They are predicting that if that happens, Houston will get 20 more inches of rain - just what they need right now. In short it simply is not looking good for Houston/Galveston or the port of Galveston at this time. Hurricanes though have a mind of their own.

For those not familiar with hurricanes, they rotate counter clockwise. The part of the land where the counter clockwise winds first hit are deluged in rain. While the wind rotates over land it loses speed and water content only to go back over water to regain strength and moisture before doing it all over again. It is much better to be on the "back side" of the rotation where the wind is slower and less rain is dumped.

Carnival needs to consider docking all three ships in New Orleans if they can and letting people switch their flights. I doubt the Houston airport will be ready by Tuesday. I'd also add Mobile, but I think the port is too small for any of these ships. None of these ships would fit under the bridge in Tampa, either.

for the people still on the ships out at sea who cannot dock, I hope the ship is offering free laundry?

and where and if possible, free medication to those who may have only brought "enough for the cruise". Which makes me think I best bring more than I need.. just in case..when I sail next month.. I never even thought of my medication until just now.. never imagining I'd ever be in this situation, and as in the past have only ever brought exact count of what I would 'need' . yikes..

Carnival needs to consider docking all three ships in New Orleans if they can and letting people switch their flights. I doubt the Houston airport will be ready by Tuesday. I'd also add Mobile, but I think the port is too small for any of these ships. None of these ships would fit under the bridge in Tampa, either.

-everyone on these was/will be offered the opportunity to disembark in New Orleans. Mobile can handle Freedom and Valor but it it's difficult for them to navigate; they need assistance

What a FOOLISH statement!

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. There's family A that traveled to Galveston ahead of their cruise and Family B that is in the cabin they were supposed to be in. When it was looking like ships might duck in ahead of the weather and stay docked there overnight, I was saying that family B should get the hotel and family A should get the cabin. Either way, somebody was going to be on the island and somebody else on the ship. What is so foolish about thinking the family that paid to be on the boat should be on the boat?

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. There's family A that traveled to Galveston ahead of their cruise and Family B that is in the cabin they were supposed to be in. When it was looking like ships might duck in ahead of the weather and stay docked there overnight, I was saying that family B should get the hotel and family A should get the cabin. Either way, somebody was going to be on the island and somebody else on the ship. What is so foolish about thinking the family that paid to be on the boat should be on the boat?

It's a ship, bro

-everyone on these was/will be offered the opportunity to disembark in New Orleans. Mobile can handle Freedom and Valor but it it's difficult for them to navigate; they need assistance

Triumph and Conquest have already done Mobile, so those classes work. Breeze could probably do it too, if there was ever a reason for it. The turning basin is 1500' wide.

Triumph and Conquest have already done Mobile, so those classes work. Breeze could probably do it too, if there was ever a reason for it. The turning basin is 1500' wide.

Conquest class needs assistance turning in the basin. Don't quote me on this but I've read anything larger than that is very difficult (not impossible but VERY difficult) so if New Orleans is open, Breeze would most certainly go there over Mobile

Is there any precedence to offloading passengers and then moving the ship temporarily to another port for boarding (obviously cancelling a voyage to do it) ? I am on the September 10th Breeze cruise, and right now i am thinking that I am going to find it really hard to make the journey from Houston to Galveston, see the hardship of everyone around me, only to get on a party boat for 8 days and forget MY rather insignificant worries. My prayers are for the people of the area and for those that are risking their lives to ensure the safety of others.

Did he mention the mood on the ship? I was just wondering if people on board are being understanding of the situation and enjoying the extra days or if people are in meltdown mode. This is a horrible situation, obviously more-so for those on land.

Sorry this took so long to reply. Although people are worried he says for the most part the majority have banned together and are calm and understanding of the situation. Many folks that are on the ship from the Houston area are worried about what they will see once they get back. He says it's heartbreaking not knowing.

Carnival has kept them informed every step of the way which is important in maintaining some calmness. The captain was even in guest relations helping out. People were able to attempt to call out but my son said satellite service was spotty at best.

Once he knew they would dock in Nola he tried to call Air Canada to change flights. He could connect with them but they couldn't hear him. I called them and within 5 minutes they changed the flights home and were so good about it. No additional cost at all.

They will dock early tomorrow in Nola and we got a hotel for them as they don't fly out till Tuesday. He says those that want can get off tomorrow and the rest will ride back to Galveston where they can stay on for a bit. I believe the cruise that was supposed to leave today may be cancelled.

So all in all he has been impressed with how things have been handled by Carnival but is saddened for all who are impacted.

for the people still on the ships out at sea who cannot dock, I hope the ship is offering free laundry? ..

Really... unless you are working out, do home repairs, those clothes will be just fine for a few more days. Air them out if you have to, but realize a large share of the world does just find wearing the same clothes for days or week on end.

Wow.

Is there any precedence to offloading passengers and then moving the ship temporarily to another port for boarding (obviously cancelling a voyage to do it) ? I am on the September 10th Breeze cruise, and right now i am thinking that I am going to find it really hard to make the journey from Houston to Galveston, see the hardship of everyone around me, only to get on a party boat for 8 days and forget MY rather insignificant worries. My prayers are for the people of the area and for those that are risking their lives to ensure the safety of others.

You can't beat yourself up for something that's not your fault. If it helps, skip a few overpriced drinks and donate a Benjamin to the Red Cross, or something.

Unfortunately this is beginning to look more amd more like Katrina. Two dams above Houston are about to be released into the Bayous to prevent bursting (think levees here). Everyone who can help is helping.

This is worse than Katrina and it's impacting 10 times as many people.

I have to say that the meteorologists deserve props for their coverage of this storm. Since leaving the Yucatan, it has done EVERYTHING that they predicted it would. I know they get ridiculed a lot for being wrong sometimes and some pretty spectacular misses from time to time, but they NAILED this one.