Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

Just a quick update from our son who is currently on the Breeze. He said the captain just announced they are heading for NOLA. Relieved they aren't going to be off loaded in a city that is seriously in disaster mode.

I would be worried about the same thing! So sad for the people affected by this storm in Texas :(

I heard this as well. Basically this week's cruise on Liberty is cancelled? Carnival was much more proactive with planning and will actually be able to dock their ships should the port open Tuesday. Kudos to them

Side note-why didn't Liberty go to Nola?

I think it's because RC doesn't have any presence in NOLA, but this is my first 'disaster' since I started cruising and I don't know how that kind of thing is handled in times of crisis.

I think it's because RC doesn't have any presence in NOLA, but this is my first 'disaster' since I started cruising and I don't know how that kind of thing is handled in times of crisis.

NOLA still would've assisted if they were able. RCI waited so late to make a move that Carnival probably made arrangements before them and NOLA was full by that time.

NOLA still would've assisted if they were able. RCI waited so late to make a move that Carnival probably made arrangements before them and NOLA was full by that time.

Understood, thanks for the info. I'm sailing in just a few weeks, weather permitting, so this kind of thing is good to know.

For anyone who's car is parked in Galveston, my brother went to the parking lots & there is no water. The owner of some of the lots has been sleeping there & has pumps ready if they need to keep water out of the lots. That is a dedicated business owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a quick update from our son who is currently on the Breeze. He said the captain just announced they are heading for NOLA. Relieved they aren't going to be off loaded in a city that is seriously in disaster mode.

Did he mention the mood on the ship? I was just wondering if people on board are being understanding of the situation and enjoying the extra days or if people are in meltdown mode. This is a horrible situation, obviously more-so for those on land.

For anyone who's car is parked in Galveston, my brother went to the parking lots & there is no water. The owner of some of the lots has been sleeping there & has pumps ready if they need to keep water out of the lots. That is a dedicated business owner.

Which parking lot specifically?

Which parking lot specifically?

He said all parking lots are dry. Galveston has not has as much rain as Houston & other surrounding cities have had so far. We don't know what the future holds with the rain though. I will keep you updated if I hear anything different.

Just an update for everyone. Most of Houston is under water. Both HOU and IAH are closed due to flooding . Hobby is literally now in a middle of a lake with no one getting to or out of airport. 45 is closed, so even if you get to Galveston you are not leaving the Island.

I see you are in Louisiana, have y'all had any rain?

Yes, we have had sprinkes and drizzle off and on since Thursday from Harvey. Looks like we are about to get in the thick of it soon in central Louisiana. Bunch of yellow coming.

I stocked up, but my teens are eating through everything. I am making big homemade pots of things like tamale balls, Chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice. The grocery was a zoo yesterday (ran in to pick up meds) so I have no idea what will be available today/tomorrow if I have to go back.

I am surrounded by bayous, but personally I am high and dry. DH and son are returning from New Orleans today and then we will hunker down.

Feel so bad for the folks down in south Tx. We are supposed to sail out on the Valor on Thursday, have a feeling that is not going to happen. But, postponing a vacation is nothing compared to what the good people of south Tx are going have to deal with in the days and weeks to come.

Yes, we have had sprinkes and drizzle off and on since Thursday from Harvey. Looks like we are about to get in the thick of it soon in central Louisiana. Bunch of yellow coming.

I stocked up, but my teens are eating through everything. I am making big homemade pots of things like tamale balls, Chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice. The grocery was a zoo yesterday (ran in to pick up meds) so I have no idea what will be available today/tomorrow if I have to go back.

I am surrounded by bayous, but personally I am high and dry. DH and son are returning from New Orleans today and then we will hunker down.

We live in Sugar Land Texas which is about 12 miles south of Houston. We have had about 22 inches rain but our house is not flooded. We live close to the Brazos River so we are keeping an eye on it. Stay safe.

Feel so bad for the folks down in south Tx. We are supposed to sail out on the Valor on Thursday, have a feeling that is not going to happen. But, postponing a vacation is nothing compared to what the good people of south Tx are going have to deal with in the days and weeks to come.

We were going to be with you and driving down from Fort Worth - looks pretty impossible at this point.

Liberty of the Seas is over 100' longer than the largest cruise ship that ports in NOLA. It's very possible that this length prevents her from going to NOLA . She might not be able to safely turn around on the river.

Liberty of the Seas is over 100' longer than the largest cruise ship that ports in NOLA. It's very possible that this length prevents her from going to NOLA . She might not be able to safely turn around on the river.

I believe that's entirely possible. Liberty is huge when docked beside the Breeze

Please don't slam folks for wistful thinking about cruising affected despite the disaster in Galveston/Houston Texas. They know safety is first. Having Cruise Critic is a welcome diversion - speculation and all.

We were hit by Hurricane Matthew last year - paid off the hotel we had to stay in, all new screens, the tree service for taking away huge trees that were down ... still paying on the new roof Matthew left us needing.

During all of that, once we got power back, Cruise Critic was some of the only "fun" available. You can only watch so much of the news on your disaster without bringing on deeper sadness.:(

Liberty is to big for NOLA. Voyager class is the largest ship to ever berth there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The larger ships could not make it under power lines that went over the river, just down river of the port passenger terminals. These power were removed a few years ago and there is no limit, other than the draft of the ship, as it makes its way up the river. Currently N.O. Port only has 2 operational passenger terminals. They list 5 terminals, but there is only 2, Erato and Julia. There has been talk of making a third down river of the French Quarter, but this was only talk, no work ever was started. There are many ship mooring sites along the river, but none are set up for passenger ships, bulk cargo only. A U.S. Custom's site would be needed, along with longshoreman to unload luggage. I see the Dream is still in Port, most likely leaving at 4pm.

What a mess for the people of Texas and these cruise ship passengers. Looks like every road heading to and from Galveston is under water. The next few days don't look to be any better. We know their pain, as we went through Hurricane Katrina south of New Orleans with a 20ft storm surge wiping away many communities along the southern Mississippi River. Then Hurricane Rita re-flooding many areas that had started to drain.