Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

August 27, 2017 9:13 AM

ROAD CLOSURES: I-45 is shut down from FM 517 to Galveston. Flooding in various areas in Galveston.

August 27, 2017 9:12 AM

PARKING UPDATE: The Port of Galveston Parking Lots are NOT flooded. Access roads to the parking lots are flooded thus it is not possible to retrieve vehicles from the lots at this time. For additional information please call 409-766-6169. Refunds will be issued to passengers that have had their itinerary shortened. Please contact parking@portofgalveston.com

August 27, 2017 9:11 AM

Port Condition-Zulu All inbound/outbound traffic suspended.

Check back for further updates

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Realizing the magnitude of the disaster, I wouldn't really care all that much about a cruise at this point. People are dying and losing everything...the cruise seems less consequential than it would have beforehand.

Well...at least that is how I have felt about travel after disasters when it has happened to me...

Agreed.

I'm not sure what Royal Caribbean is thinking, but if I had to speculate, I bet that Carnival is trying to find alternate ports for the ships to dock and offload people, like they did in NOLA for Freedom & Valor. I suspect (just suspect) that this week's cruises will be canceled outright and refunds given, and they'll try to start all over again next Sat/Sun... people can't get out of Galveston when they debark, and arriving passengers can't get to Galveston, except for the small percentage who were already there when the storm hit.

RCCL docking the Liberty of the Seas today helps the 20-30 people who actually live in Galveston. The rest of them will be staying put on the docked ship for a few more days til the flooding in Houston subsides.

My thoughts go out to all of you whose vacation plans are messed up by this. I know how much I treasure my vacation time and I know how y'all are feeling. But my heart goes out to all those folks along the coast who are facing life changes thanks to Harvey.

The whole city of Houston & surrounding city's are closed because of flooding. The run ways at Hobby airport are under water. I know this because I live south of Houston. Even if the cruise ships can dock there is no way people will be able to get out of Galveston. Our rain is supposed last until Wednesday. The people on the cruise ships are not stranded. They have food water & a place to sleep. The people in Houston that have been rescued from flooded houses are stranded. Please keep these people in your prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because there are many other people already on the island waiting to board. Granted at this point, probably not as many people waiting to board, but if you were sitting in Galveston now, wouldn't you expect the cabin you paid for?

Absolutely. If you're not willing to lose your life trying to get on that ship, I have to question your commitment to cruising.

While I have no specific information, I'd put the chances that the Galveston port opens at near zero in the near term. It's more likely that passengers get off loaded in New Orleans and these cruise ships get taken to Galveston to serve as temporary shelters.

The whole city of Houston & surrounding city's are closed because of flooding. The run ways at Hobby airport are under water. I know this because I live south of Houston. Even if the cruise ships can dock there is no way people will be able to get out of Galveston. Our rain is supposed last until Wednesday. The people on the cruise ships are not stranded. They have food water & a place to sleep. The people in Houston that have been rescued from flooded houses are stranded. Please keep these people in your prayers.

So true! T&P for all in this unfortunate situation.

Because there are many other people already on the island waiting to board. Granted at this point, probably not as many people waiting to board, but if you were sitting in Galveston now, wouldn't you expect the cabin you paid for?

What a FOOLISH statement!

My brother has been in Galveston since Thursday waiting to get on the Breeze. He now lives north of Dallas but we grew up in Friendswood which is a little north of Galveston & we are used to flooding. He knew the possibility of being stranded on Galveston Island when he made the decision to drive there on Thursday. He has a great attitude & is going with the flow. I just talked to him & he said if they don't get to cruise he knows it will be for the safety of all passengers. He is not upset with Carnival or the Port of Galveston. My brother is the type that will make lemonade out of lemons.

Also heard from someone onboard about the Liberty of the Seas diversion to Miami...

I heard this as well. Basically this week's cruise on Liberty is cancelled? Carnival was much more proactive with planning and will actually be able to dock their ships should the port open Tuesday. Kudos to them

Side note-why didn't Liberty go to Nola?

Just a quick update from our son who is currently on the Breeze. He said the captain just announced they are heading for NOLA. Relieved they aren't going to be off loaded in a city that is seriously in disaster mode.

Just a quick update from our son who is currently on the Breeze. He said the captain just announced they are heading for NOLA. Relieved they aren't going to be off loaded in a city that is seriously in disaster mode.

I think all three Carnival ships will end up being diverted. The cruise lines are throwing in the towel to try to salvage this week's cruises.