Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

I live 45 miles south east of Austin and in the last 36 hours have had 15 inches of rain and 2 trees down one on my house the other across a fence into the neighbors yard. Who knows how long before I can get the tractor in the yard without getting stuck or

Rutting up both yards.

The larger ships could not make it under power lines that went over the river, just down river of the port passenger terminals. These power were removed a few years ago and there is no limit, other than the draft of the ship, as it makes its way up the river. Currently N.O. Port only has 2 operational passenger terminals. They list 5 terminals, but there is only 2, Erato and Julia. There has been talk of making a third down river of the French Quarter, but this was only talk, no work ever was started. There are many ship mooring sites along the river, but none are set up for passenger ships, bulk cargo only. A U.S. Custom's site would be needed, along with longshoreman to unload luggage. I see the Dream is still in Port, most likely leaving at 4pm.

What a mess for the people of Texas and these cruise ship passengers. Looks like every road heading to and from Galveston is under water. The next few days don't look to be any better. We know their pain, as we went through Hurricane Katrina south of New Orleans with a 20ft storm surge wiping away many communities along the southern Mississippi River. Then Hurricane Rita re-flooding many areas that had started to drain.

If Liberty can fit into Nola, I'm curious as to why it didn't go there. Both docks won't be simultaneously used today or tomorrow

I know this doesn't apply to CCL, but Royal has just completely canceled the 8/27 cruise out of Galveston. Read on the Port of Galveston page.

That makes more sense almost anything I have read regarding this unfortunate situation. When LOS gets to port, the passengers will just need to use her as a hotel until they can safely leave Galveston. UPdate, she is head to MIA.

I congratulate Carnival on how they handled this situation vs Royal. I am usually loyal to Royal but this makes me want to give Carnival another try

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was critical of Carnival in another thread, looking at how RCI has reacted to this situation puts Carnival's reaction to this situation into perspective for me. Carnival reacted to all of this very well. I'm happy to have went on many cruises with them and look forward to many more. :)

That makes more sense almost anything I have read regarding this unfortunate situation. When LOS gets to port, the passengers will just need to use her as a hotel until they can safely leave Galveston. UPdate, she is head to MIA.

Cc posted the quote I was trying to respond to. Here is was the RC website says right now

ITINERARY UPDATES

August 27, 2017

Royal Caribbean International is diverting Liberty of the Seas to Miami until conditions at the Port of Galveston permit safe travel. Due to port closure because of Hurricane Harvey, Liberty was not able to make her scheduled arrival into Galveston today. We anticipate Liberty will be able to return to Galveston on Friday, conditions permitting. We are doing all we can to help guests adjust their travel arrangements and appreciate their patience as we work through this.

The next sailing of Liberty of the Seas, scheduled for Sunday, August 27 has been cancelled, and all guests will have their fares fully refunded and have been provided a future cruise credit.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1(866) 562-7625.

While I have no specific information, I'd put the chances that the Galveston port opens at near zero in the near term. It's more likely that passengers get off loaded in New Orleans and these cruise ships get taken to Galveston to serve as temporary shelters.

That's actually a good idea. Let them get supplies here in N.O. and get to Houston where they can help.

190e1b1d821a5f96bad46277fda6f697.jpg

Galveston County calling for citizen volunteers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Thanks. We got organized and now are waiting for the rains to get here. I'll feel better when DH and son are home, but they are in a Ford F350 so they have an advantage over others. It is basically a rescue vehicle.

Regardless of the height it can still stall or get swept away in flood waters. My friend's son had an H2 that stalled out while he tried to pass through a flooded street. I hope they get home safely.

I know this doesn't apply to CCL, but Royal has just completely canceled the 8/27 cruise out of Galveston. Read on the Port of Galveston page.

I checked the site- I can't see a reference to RCCL cancelling today's cruise... where on the page did you find this? Can you please provide a link? Thanks!

DISREGARD please... someone else just posted it here... thanks.

Has anyone heard what the Freedom and Valor are doing?

I don't have a link, but one of the last things I read seemed to say they were going to remain at sea until Galveston was accessible. Not much else they can do. I wonder how many people got off at NOLA.