re meat pies

8 hours ago, fairywren said:

They look delicious, we have not been able to get them here in coles for a while now. I have looked into making them myself but as my other half says ‘too much stuffing around’  I still make Scotch pies, that involves a fair bit of stuffing around.😉

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Scotch pie?

14 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Scotch pie?

Scotch pie, I had one in Edinburgh, pre coeliac days, years ago.  Savoury minced lamb in it from memory.
1399038756_th(1)pie.jpg.d5df6b4652eba65e8c2fc977c72b02aa.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, beatleman said:

Bentleigh Rissole tonight, plates of party pies and sausage rolls following Stand to washed down with a few Furphy's.😜

I know Furphys is an ale, but Bentleigh Rissoles? Please explain, sound posh.

11 hours ago, beatleman said:

Bentleigh Rissole tonight, plates of party pies and sausage rolls following Stand to washed down with a few Furphy's.😜

Furphys is great, especially on tap (rare up here). I am also curious whether it is a rissole from Bentleigh or something OTT.

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Not to me it doesn't 

RisSoLe - used to be a reasonably common term for your local Returned Services League Club

The rissole wasn't eaten with pies, but was the location where the pies were eaten.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

RisSoLe - used to be a reasonably common term for your local Returned Services League Club

The rissole wasn't eaten with pies, but was the location where the pies were eaten.

Thank you.  I know someone who volunteers at local RSL Club selling meat trays.  I'll ask him if he has heard of that expression.  Maybe it is a NSW expression.  ?

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you.  I know someone who volunteers at local RSL Club selling meat trays.  I'll ask him if he has heard of that expression.  Maybe it is a NSW expression.  ?

Bentleigh would also suggest it works in Victoria too.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2023 at 12:41 PM, MicCanberra said:

One issue with sausage rolls is that they are best freshly baked. They don't keep fresh for long, as they tend to dry out if kept hot for too long in the warmer.

In an attempt to combine this topic with  our “ primary “ subject ie cruising, the coffee shop at White Bay Cruise Terminal sells a particularly delicious sausage roll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Rissoles has been around as slang from at least the 80s.

The late 60’ s even, mic, started going to Matravile Rissole in 1966, schooner was 20 cents. A meat pie about the same.

Yes, I had a misspent youth.🍺🍻

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Rissoles has been around as slang from at least the 80s.

I was even familiar with the term because some kind folks took a poor uneducated Canadian and helped him to more properly understand the language that you folks claim is English 😁. Hopefully by the time we actually arrive in Oz, we won't need an interpreter.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, gbenjo said:

In an attempt to combine this topic with  our “ primary “ subject ie cruising, the coffee shop at White Bay Cruise Terminal sells a particularly delicious sausage roll.

You should get out to the backwaters more often. As far as cruise terminals go, it is a more than nice.