re meat pies

It was known as underground poultry back in the day and was sold by a rabbitoh who called out as he walked the streets. Had it baked and casseroled in my younger days. Dad went on to own a butcher shop so the quality of our meat improved dramatically.

• Like 1

A bit of trivia rom an ad for ‘Arry’s 

Did you know? In Medieval Europe pie crust was known as a "coffyn". When pies made their debut in England around the 12th century they had more crust and less filling. The crust was used as a dish and was usually tasteless and hard. Humanity has come a long way since then, and we're very grateful of how delicious pie crust has become. And if you like your pies with more filling, come to Harry's for a good old pie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aldi has Britain's Best on sale, inc. Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pies. Plus my favourite Fry's Chocolate Cream Bars.  They have chips I haven't seen before - Smith's Worcester Sauce, Prawn Cocktail or Cheese and Pickle, plus Burt's British Potato Chips, Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar, Salt and Pepper and Cheddar & Onion.  Anyone tried any of these?  Plus sauces, pickles, biscuits and lollies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Aldi has Britain's Best on sale, inc. Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pies. Plus my favourite Fry's Chocolate Cream Bars.  They have chips I haven't seen before - Smith's Worcester Sauce, Prawn Cocktail or Cheese and Pickle, plus Burt's British Potato Chips, Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar, Salt and Pepper and Cheddar & Onion.  Anyone tried any of these?  Plus sauces, pickles, biscuits and lollies. 

Yes they have those promos. A lot of those items you can buy anytime in Coles and Woollies or even IGA, International Food Section. I get the Branston pickle and HP Sauce. Do you know ye olde HP Sauce is made in Holland these days?

hp.jpg.ba72d08164000f56434672ce29703d6d.jpg

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

full of rabbitohs or rabbits? and why would it say it is Lean beef?

Garlos do not manufacture Rabbit Pies, even though Sean Garlick the owner was a Rabbitohs man, through and through.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The Burts chips are very nice. I remember Fry's chocolate bars from when I was a kid but haven't had one in decades.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Burts chips are very nice. I remember Fry's chocolate bars from when I was a kid but haven't had one in decades.

My favourite were Fry's Five Flavours, but I haven't seen them for a long time.  I hadn't heard of Burt's chips.  I'm going to buy some.  Such different flavours!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes they have those promos. A lot of those items you can buy anytime in Coles and Woollies or even IGA, International Food Section. I get the Branston pickle and HP Sauce. Do you know ye olde HP Sauce is made in Holland these days?

hp.jpg.ba72d08164000f56434672ce29703d6d.jpg

I always check where food is produced, so I'm not surprised HP Sauce is now made in Holland.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My favourite were Fry's Five Flavours, but I haven't seen them for a long time.  I hadn't heard of Burt's chips.  I'm going to buy some.  Such different flavours!

Harris Farm Markets sell the Burt's chips but I think they only have stores in Sydney.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

If it's Walker's brand I've had the Prawn Cocktail, they were just okay (they have other flavours I like much more). We have also had the Walker's brand Cheddar and Onion we liked those. Although I haven't had the British ones we have a Canadian brand that does a salt and malt vinegar they are very good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Harris Farm Markets sell the Burt's chips but I think they only have stores in Sydney.

Julie, I think my son told me they opened one at Lane Cove? 

So it has been an all out meat pie day for me. I had a Steak and Mushroom pie for lunch that was from our local Thrifty Foods they make them in their in house distribution kitchen. Then for supper it was more pies. Lynn had the chicken pot pie also from Thrifty Foods and I had 2 of the smaller "Real Deal" Australian style pies made in Canada. One steak and mushroom and one chicken curry, both were quite tasty.

980385687_pieoz.thumb.jpg.b7273d6bd6e65c36b568dad50682f901.jpg

779850475_pieoz2.thumb.jpg.0c4b37f86cc4e74c5416237fa84292a9.jpg

Notice the different size and they are the same price.

I will buy the Aussie style ones they are good but I will be buying the local ones more often.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Julie, I think my son told me they opened one at Lane Cove? 

It's not open yet. They've taken over the old Coles building and it's all boarded up. I'm not sure when it's supposed to open. They neatly fill in the produce gaps from Woollies and Coles including a great range of cheeses. We currently go to the one at Boronia Park once a month as our hairdresser is in that suburb. The have a nice cafe attached which has a very good selection of gluten-free cakes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

My favourite, $2 from Woollies or Coles.  Batchelors Mushy peas, always a few cand in my pantry.

peas.jpg.77f730c0e95123c427c53533c672a8a1.jpg

Yes we buy a dozen or so, give some to Mum, use the rest with near on anything. Had some roast beef the other night with spuds carrot and mushy peas. Not quite as good as hone soaked but way easier and quicker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yes we buy a dozen or so, give some to Mum, use the rest with near on anything. Had some roast beef the other night with spuds carrot and mushy peas. Not quite as good as hone soaked but way easier and quicker.

I make mushy peas from frozen peas.  So easy and delicious!

• Like 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I notice you missed the "make them mushy" step, clearly an important step to exclude. We always buy frozen baby peas. Not mushy 😎

Ditto. I'm not a fan of mushy peas.