re meat pies

15 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Depending what the occasion is, I may use a combination of pork mince and beef sausage mince or just the sausage mince. No, you don't have to pre-cook the meat. I use sheet puff pastry. 1 Kg of mince to 4-5 sheets of pastry. There are stacks of recipes on google, although I must admit I tend to make mine up as I go. For just a normal SR,  I usually add finely diced onion, finely chopped fresh parsley,  garlic to your taste,  1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce/ketchup. Seasoning. Mix all ingredients together. 

Leigh

Mum used to make sausage rolls in a similar manner.

Sausage meat from the butcher, grated onions (almost like pulp so no surprise bits), egg, bread crumbs, seasonings. Perhaps some worcesteshire sauce. Other thinks she wouldn't tell us. Mix well.

She used bought puff pastry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, possum52 said:

Only once Les, when I made some for my daughter in law and I was not happy with them. The pastry split but they evidently tasted ok.

It is very difficult to find good gf pastry in commercial products, let alone make it. I have not tried. I just get them from the supermarket now and then.GlutenFreeBakehousePartyPack-600x905.thumb.jpg.453117f338eac415e3df014ef69ace08.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

Somethings are worth making at home but others it is not only cheaper and easier to just buy but also a better product than you can ever make yourself. Not sure if sausage rolls fits that last category but it certainly meets the first two.

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

Depending what the occasion is, I may use a combination of pork mince and beef sausage mince or just the sausage mince. No, you don't have to pre-cook the meat. I use sheet puff pastry. 1 Kg of mince to 4-5 sheets of pastry. There are stacks of recipes on google, although I must admit I tend to make mine up as I go. For just a normal SR,  I usually add finely diced onion, finely chopped fresh parsley,  garlic to your taste,  1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce/ketchup. Seasoning. Mix all ingredients together. 

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, I will give it a go over the next couple of days.A bit of cold weather will be good for a sausage roll.

The fun of cooking is making a few mistakes.I like to work it out for my self.
Google is cheating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Somethings are worth making at home but others it is not only cheaper and easier to just buy but also a better product than you can ever make yourself. Not sure if sausage rolls fits that last category but it certainly meets the first two.

It depends how many sausage rolls you want/need Mic. There is only one bakery that I buy the occasional SR from near us. The frozen ones from the supermarkets have no taste and to me are not worth buying. SRs are easy to make and you can add whatever you want to them. As for price, not that much difference in making them and buying frozen ones. I know which I prefer. If I only want one or two, I would buy them from the bakery. But if I want a few dozen, I make them.

Leigh

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Thanks Leigh, I will give it a go over the next couple of days.A bit of cold weather will be good for a sausage roll.

The fun of cooking is making a few mistakes.I like to work it out for my self.
Google is cheating.

Recipes, whether you find them online through Google, from a cookbook, from social media/newspapers/magazines, from being handed down from your family, or from going to cooking classes, aren't cheating. They provide a basis to build your own creations from. If it's something I've never made before I see no reason not to consult experts before experimenting with my own variations, especially with baked items where the quantity of ingredients are important.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Recipes, whether you find them online through Google, from a cookbook, from social media/newspapers/magazines, from being handed down from your family, or from going to cooking classes, aren't cheating. They provide a basis to build your own creations from. If it's something I've never made before I see no reason not to consult experts before experimenting with my own variations, especially with baked items where the quantity of ingredients are important.

I agree Julie, I use google regularly to find recipes. 

Leigh

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I agree Julie, I use google regularly to find recipes. 

Leigh

I've just discovered this website. https://www.recipetineats.com/

The author lives in the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Very detailed instructions, photos, and videos plus something I've never seen before - the recipes are scaleable. Click on the right spot, a sliding bar appears, set it to the quantity you want and the measurements for the recipe are adjusted accordingly. Very clever, especially when you're just cooking for two and and it's something you can't freeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The author lives in the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Very detailed instructions, photos, and videos plus something I've never seen before - the recipes are scaleable. Click on the right spot, a sliding bar appears, set it to the quantity you want and the measurements for the recipe are adjusted accordingly. Very clever, especially when you're just cooking for two and and it's something you can't freeze.

I have been using that site for a while now Julie. Some great recipes, of which I've used quite a few  and go back to them. Being able to scale the ingredient quantity of ingredients is fantastic, makes cooking for a certain number much easier. The author of the site is quite a character and I love explanations of how to make the recipe.

Leigh

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I have been using that site for a while now Julie. Some great recipes, of which I've used quite a few  and go back to them. Being able to scale the ingredient quantity of ingredients is fantastic, makes cooking for a certain number much easier. The author of the site is quite a character and I love explanations of how to make the recipe.

Leigh

I made her Crispy Pork Belly on the weekend. Very good. The meat stayed so tender. I also made the Vermouth Jus which was delicious.

I spotted her Eggplant Parmigiana recipe. Now that's where the scaling will come in useful. I can make a full batch of the sauce and freeze some, then just assemble the rest for two. I do love eggplant parmigiana (especially the Princess version) but most recipes are too heavy. Her's looks yummy but relatively light.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I made her Crispy Pork Belly on the weekend. Very good. The meat stayed so tender. I also made the Vermouth Jus which was delicious.

I spotted her Eggplant Parmigiana recipe. Now that's where the scaling will come in useful. I can make a full batch of the sauce and freeze some, then just assemble the rest for two. I do love eggplant parmigiana (especially the Princess version) but most recipes are too heavy. Her's looks yummy but relatively light.

I have used a few of her soup recipes which last winter, I kept going back to.

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

It depends how many sausage rolls you want/need Mic. There is only one bakery that I buy the occasional SR from near us. The frozen ones from the supermarkets have no taste and to me are not worth buying. SRs are easy to make and you can add whatever you want to them. As for price, not that much difference in making them and buying frozen ones. I know which I prefer. If I only want one or two, I would buy them from the bakery. But if I want a few dozen, I make them.

Leigh

For me I would rather buy them or have someone else cook them for me.

• Haha 1

Thank you for the link to www.recipetineats.com as I needed a new lot of ideas.  Looks great seeing as I am now cooking for one and like to freeze extra meals. Especially like the slow cooker recipes.  Thinking of getting a pie maker.  Need to make normal size pies not small ones. Any recommendations out there. Four pies at once would be great.

58 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Thank you for the link to www.recipetineats.com as I needed a new lot of ideas.  Looks great seeing as I am now cooking for one and like to freeze extra meals. Especially like the slow cooker recipes.  Thinking of getting a pie maker.  Need to make normal size pies not small ones. Any recommendations out there. Four pies at once would be great.

I just use small pie dishes and cook them in the oven. They take up less space in my cupboard than a pie maker. Have look in various kitchenware shops.

These are the ones I have:

https://www.maxwellandwilliams.com.au/epicurious-fluted-pie-dish-mini

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh I just love Nagi and regularly use her recipes.  However, I've never taken the time to read her details, so thank you.  I just google what I want to cook, peruse recipes given and pick my favourite, which is often Nagi.  Never spotted that clever scale.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

For me I would rather buy them or have someone else cook them for me.

Totally agree Mic, there is a life outside of the kitchen. I cannot make the B things anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

I have the Sunbeam, makes 4 pies, probably a bit bigger than you get in the pie shop.

• Like 1

LOL, good to read some CC members have discovered RecipeTinEats.  A great blog IMO.  I made her Greek Pastitsio yesterday.  LOL took me all day but oh my .... delish!  Have a go at her Gyoza (with how to video).  Such a relaxing and enjoyable construction.  So easy when you see 'how'.  Oh, and they taste pretty darn' good too! 

I don't like piemakers.  They squash the pastry and spoil the 'puff' effect IMO.  Lots of small pie dishes here and a production line of pies for the freezer for me.  Certainly something to do when in lockdown ... and aren't us Victorians very familiar with lockdown?  Grrrhhhhh!

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I have the Sunbeam, makes 4 pies, probably a bit bigger than you get in the pie shop.

Hey, Mr.Gut, you will soon be buying your pies in bulk from the Costco store at Lake Mcquarie.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hey, Mr.Gut, you will soon be buying your pies in bulk from the Costco store at Lake Mcquarie.

Yeah later in the year, about 40 minutes drive for us, never been to one, so will be interested to see what all the hype is about. Word is an IKEA going in there too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah later in the year, about 40 minutes drive for us, never been to one, so will be interested to see what all the hype is about. Word is an IKEA going in there too.

I read it opens end of August, no doubt their pies will be very well priced for the masses. You have to join their club to shop there, I think it is $50 per annum.  Like you I have never been into a Costco or Ikea, we must be time warped dinosaurs, lol.

Costco pies, do they come from NZ?

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP