re meat pies

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Beware of shops saying they have the best pies, they rarely do but many are close enough.

Yeah same as coffee, one day I must visit every shop that says they have the best pie and make a decision, might not be able to decide, but be fun trying.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Rotten Miss Gut as she was, just sent me a photo from Ross pie shop which is one of the good ones, they use a wood fired oven which adds to the taste.

Is she in Tasweiga? Tell her not to forget the Mawson Hut Foundation Museum on ye olde Hobart Town waterfront.

Edited by NSWP

LOL so many places to buy a meat pie but I'm wondering, do any of you meat pie afisionados actually make your own meat pies from scratch? 

I only ask because I find bakery and bought/frozen meat pies just don't agree with me.  They give me heartburn and indigestion I'm afraid.  My DH makes the pies here.  He's not bad at all with his fillings (thanks to Stephanie Alexander and Maggie Beer for the recipes) and adds lots of flavours like mushies, some redwine and Maggie gives a great lamb pie with quince.  To die for!  Also chicken & leek Pies, Cottage Pies (also call potato "puff" pies) fish pies, etc.  The list goes on.  I buy the Pampas puff pastry (the decent one NOT the "non dairy" one) to top the pies and I make a savoury basic pastry (recipe from 'Steph') for the bottoms.  It's a joint effort and it takes us a whole day but we get a few dozen one serve pies that go into the freezer for 'Ron' - later-on.  Maggie also offers an easy recipe for her sour cream pastry - it never fails!

I do the pasties and sausage rolls which we both love and *cough* I can eat without side effects.  They also go into the freezer for 'Ron'.

Just try making your own.  It's very theraputic and so easy.  When you have a spare day (and the ingredients) just pop on some music that you love, pour a glass of your favourite adult beveridge and spend the day in the kitchen cooking and stocking your freezer.  If you have a partner (or even not), it's a great way to spend in a lockdown.

Enjoy life!  Who knows when it ends, right?

55 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

LOL so many places to buy a meat pie but I'm wondering, do any of you meat pie afisionados actually make your own meat pies from scratch? 

I only ask because I find bakery and bought/frozen meat pies just don't agree with me.  They give me heartburn and indigestion I'm afraid.  My DH makes the pies here.  He's not bad at all with his fillings (thanks to Stephanie Alexander and Maggie Beer for the recipes) and adds lots of flavours like mushies, some redwine and Maggie gives a great lamb pie with quince.  To die for!  Also chicken & leek Pies, Cottage Pies (also call potato "puff" pies) fish pies, etc.  The list goes on.  I buy the Pampas puff pastry (the decent one NOT the "non dairy" one) to top the pies and I make a savoury basic pastry (recipe from 'Steph') for the bottoms.  It's a joint effort and it takes us a whole day but we get a few dozen one serve pies that go into the freezer for 'Ron' - later-on.  Maggie also offers an easy recipe for her sour cream pastry - it never fails!

I do the pasties and sausage rolls which we both love and *cough* I can eat without side effects.  They also go into the freezer for 'Ron'.

Just try making your own.  It's very theraputic and so easy.  When you have a spare day (and the ingredients) just pop on some music that you love, pour a glass of your favourite adult beveridge and spend the day in the kitchen cooking and stocking your freezer.  If you have a partner (or even not), it's a great way to spend in a lockdown.

I make my own pasties and sausage rolls and will occasionally make an egg and bacon pie or chicken and leek.

Leigh

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

Yes, make my own frequently and the grandkids gave me a pie maker last year which has only increased my pie making and consumption.

Great to read that some of you are making your own pies, pasties, sausage rolls, etc.  IMO there's nothing better than home-made ... IF, the best ingredients you can source are used and ... most importantly you enjoy and love the process.  The "love and enjoyment" most definitely adds to the flavour of the pie.

Just this silly old grey duck commentating here.  Now to open another can o' worms.  What is your favourite (easily acquired) 'dead horse'?  It's White Crow here at Chez LC.  So what is your preferred choice?  Unfortunately the Rosella brand has disappeared from the stupidmarket shelves along with their superior tin tomato soup.  A sad time for the old traditional Aussie brands.

Edited by LC1950

42 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Great to read that some of you are making your own pies, pasties, sausage rolls, etc.  IMO there's nothing better than home-made ... IF, the best ingredients you can source are used and ... most importantly you enjoy and love the process.  The "love and enjoyment" most definitely adds to the flavour of the pie.

Just this silly old grey duck commentating here.  Now to open another can o' worms.  What is your favourite (easily acquired) 'dead horse'?  It's White Crow here at Chez LC.  So what is your preferred choice?  Unfortunately the Rosella brand has disappeared from the stupidmarket shelves along with their superior tin tomato soup.  A sad time for the old traditional Aussie brands.

Our Woolworths (Lane Cove, NSW) still has Rosella.

13 hours ago, LC1950 said:

I would make my own if I wasn't such a lazy, procrastinator with a touch of ennui. Add to which I was born with a lazy eye - and it spread.

And, if I were able to overcome all of the above, I am sure the results would not be as good as I could get from numerous, excellent, bakeries within 5 minutes of where I live and, almost forgot, Aldi which is also less than 5 minutes up the road and, Coles and Woollies which are closer.🙄

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I grew up with Rosella tomato sauce and soup too. We now tend to use Heinz ketchup after having it at our son's and found we prefer ketchup to sauce. 

Leigh

I've gone the other way. I grew up with Watties tomato sauce but since Heinz bought that brand it wasn't the same. It became more acidic. I tried the various Heinz variants then few other brands and Rosella is the one I like best these days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Trappers pies in Goulbourn has has a Covid laden Victorian call in before heading to the south coast Huskisson area. You may have gotten more than just a rabbit pie.

Covid19 flavoured dogs eyes are not that palatable.   June is national pie month too.

125404759_3608971209190044_6559097217811602432_o.thumb.jpg.22ee6a8c93614c316483065182f7ae98.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Very red gravy on my screen.

Perhaps it’s time to calibrate your monitor.

Perhaps the lad has a thrifty mother, who puts a bit of vinegar in the near empty sauce bottle and gave it a shake. My mother did that, she was not Scottish either, lol.   Hence the watery horse, lol.

Edited by NSWP