re meat pies

24 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Been up the coast for 5 days and got a chance to try the Heatherbrae Pies on the way up and again on the way back. Expensive as pies go but worth it.

I like their steak and vegetable pie.

• Like 1

Just stopped in at our local takeaway/cafe and spotted some delicious looking galaktoboureko (the Greek version of a vanilla slice) in their cake cabinet. We bought two slices for dessert. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So it has been an all out meat pie day for me. I had a Steak and Mushroom pie for lunch that was from our local Thrifty Foods they make them in their in house distribution kitchen. Then for supper it was more pies. Lynn had the chicken pot pie also from Thrifty Foods and I had 2 of the smaller "Real Deal" Australian style pies made in Canada. One steak and mushroom and one chicken curry, both were quite tasty.

980385687_pieoz.thumb.jpg.b7273d6bd6e65c36b568dad50682f901.jpg

779850475_pieoz2.thumb.jpg.0c4b37f86cc4e74c5416237fa84292a9.jpg

Notice the different size and they are the same price.

I will buy the Aussie style ones they are good but I will be buying the local ones more often.

Just a stand alone pie for your evening meal? Supper, Dinner, Tea whatever? Bit sparse Lyle, families here would normally serve up some mash spud or hot chips and veggies, or even mushy peas with it, for a balanced meal. You guys are pieaholics, lol.

Edited by NSWP

After seeing the kransky sausage rolls at Bingara on Sunday I decided to grab a couple when I was in Coles on Monday. Here it is Friday and I still haven't decided how to have them. Leaning towards a kransky hot dog - note to self, buy an onion.

10 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

After seeing the kransky sausage rolls at Bingara on Sunday I decided to grab a couple when I was in Coles on Monday. Here it is Friday and I still haven't decided how to have them. Leaning towards a kransky hot dog - note to self, buy an onion.

Try one of the Coles Rustic Baguettes, they are really nice and a chunk of that would make a great base for your kransky hot dog. They've got a bit more substance than the usual soft rolls or baguettes.

48 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Get some sourcrout or red cabbage , onion and mash potato to go with the sausage roll.

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just stopped in at our local takeaway/cafe and spotted some delicious looking galaktoboureko (the Greek version of a vanilla slice) in their cake cabinet. We bought two slices for dessert. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

If you don't like it then send it to me, I love the stuff, it makes a great dessert.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Get some sourcrout or red cabbage , onion and mash potato to go with the sausage roll.

Continental Franks, those fat ones and sauerkraut or red cabbage, plus a nice creamy mash potato with chopped onion therein  is a great feed. A little German mustard, or indeed any mustard on the side.

Wunderbar !!

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Try one of the Coles Rustic Baguettes, they are really nice and a chunk of that would make a great base for your kransky hot dog. They've got a bit more substance than the usual soft rolls or baguettes.

Coles also stocks some great gluten free crusty baguettes, bake in oven. I get them often.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

If you don't like it then send it to me, I love the stuff, it makes a great dessert.

Sorry, we ate it!😁

Although they were huge pieces and I couldn't quite finish mine.

It does make a great dessert or supper treat.

Review of Balfours Potato Top Pie.

Cooking method: thawed in microwave then baked in oven.

The round pies were a little smaller than expected given the packaging. Not a substantial lunch size but OK.

The potato topping was soft, creamy and tasted of potato. It was piped on top of the filling in small peaks and there were tiny gaps around the edge between the peaks where the meat dried out and looked a little unappetising.

The beef mince filling was tender, just the right consistency, and tasty, although a little underseasoned.

The shortcrust pastry was crisp but a little too thick which meant the ratio of pastry to filling wasn't quite right. The flavour tended to overpower the filling. 

Conclusion. It's a reasonable pie if you can't get potato top pies from a local bakery. I'd probably buy them again. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/29/2021 at 1:42 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Review of Balfours Potato Top Pie.

Cooking method: thawed in microwave then baked in oven.

The round pies were a little smaller than expected given the packaging. Not a substantial lunch size but OK.

The potato topping was soft, creamy and tasted of potato. It was piped on top of the filling in small peaks and there were tiny gaps around the edge between the peaks where the meat dried out and looked a little unappetising.

The beef mince filling was tender, just the right consistency, and tasty, although a little underseasoned.

The shortcrust pastry was crisp but a little too thick which meant the ratio of pastry to filling wasn't quite right. The flavour tended to overpower the filling. 

Conclusion. It's a reasonable pie if you can't get potato top pies from a local bakery. I'd probably buy them again. 

Good review, thank you Julie. Balfours has a bakery/cafe in Adelaide.

Edited by NSWP

31 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Saw on book of faces:

For the true pie connoisseurs, the month long Southern Highlands Pie Time celebration in June may be right up your alley

The pie trail is good and also a wine trail. They have maps with both on them. We liked Heatherbrae pies, they also do gluten free. A general store at Barrenjoey?  Was also good. There sausage rolls were a sausage in pastry roll. We have done it a few times as hubby loves his pies. 

57 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Saw on book of faces:

For the true pie connoisseurs, the month long Southern Highlands Pie Time celebration in June may be right up your alley

We are heading to Berrima for 4 days, just after the long weekend. I will be sure to sample a few pies.🍽️😁

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We are heading to Berrima for 4 days, just after the long weekend. I will be sure to sample a few pies.🍽️😁

Berrima Bakehouse in centre of town was always good, but I have not been into Berrima for a year years, we used to go there often when we lived at Engadine in 'The Shire.' 1975-2005.  Good old pub there too, they used to do their own dogs eyes.

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Berrima Bakehouse in centre of town was always good, but I have not been into Berrima for a year years, we used to go there often when we lived at Engadine in 'The Shire.' 1975-2005.  Good old pub there too, they used to do their own dogs eyes.

Thanks Uncle Les. I will check them both out and report back.😉

• Like 1