Choice Promotion Service Charge

Chardonnay Char

Thanks everyone. I knew there was an 18 percent service charge on drinks. I somehow naively thought it would be charged as we ordered them -- and go on the bill at the end, as opposed to assuming we would consume the ultimate total every day (which is not likely).
\

Likewise, if you go over the daily charges, you pay nothing extra....it works out just fine. 2/3 drinks a day and you are basically even..any more and you're in the $$$$

I guess I got spoiled. Our last two cruises have been Celebrity, where the drink package includes the tips.

Did you get said drink package for free? Or was it purchased? It's really very clear in all the NCL material, as to what is charged and how/why.

There's a reason why you have to pay tips on UBP. It's one of services that not everyone uses, and you can't force every guest to pay tips on something that you never use. "Hey little Timmy, I know you are only 13, but your mom needs to pay tips for that bar shared tip pool"

I have my own opinions about forcing tips (roll it into total cruise fare and pay your damn crew appropriately), but until it is changed to be in line with civilized world, I will have to do what rules say I have to do.

Even with adding the 20% for the UDP, it's still a very good deal.

While yes it still a good deal, it's really not on the longer cruises. That 20% will add up quick.

So sick of NCL raising the gratuities percentage. whats next 30%, ridiculous. NCL is the only line that has them this high (or i may be wrong ) pretty soon these "free perks" will end up costing way too much and little by little they are adding way too many restrictions on these perks.

For the UBP, it's the same $17.80 per day no matter how long the cruise.

Yes I know that, what I said is that on longer cruises, it will add up. So suddenly that "cheap" vacation you paid for will not be so cheap after that service charge kicks in. It's a simple solution I know ,simply don't chose the beverage package but its still 20%. Too high.

For a $17.95 drink, the $2.95 plus 20% is $3.54. The first $15 is covered by the UBP and the 20% on that $15 has already been paid before boarding the ship (promo service charge).

If all drinks are $15 and under, no extra entrees are ordered, no up-charge restaurants (Ocean Blue, for ex) are visited, no a la carte only restaurants (Food Republic, for ex) are visited, there shouldn't be any other charges other than the ones you know (port taxes, etc.)

Thank you for making that perfectly clear about the UBP. I think I finally get it. I still have a few questions about non-alcoholic drinks though. I realize that bottled water and specialty coffees are not part of the UBP, but what if my cruise mate is a heavy soda and fruit juice drinker - Does that mean every time we visit a bar or restaurant and every time we want a refill, we have to stipulate we want a glass of coke or orange juice from a fountain gun and not from a can, bottle or freshly squeezed, (Which would cost extra)? Is there any way of knowing which fountain fruit juice they offer free of charge? I'm assuming just your basic mixers like cranberry, pineapple, orange etc? If I order a glass of whiskey and a glass of coke on the side, does that count as my 2 drink per person per order, or just one?

And for the Free At Sea Dining promo...(I'm sorry but I'm just so confused with so much conflicting information). Isn't there a sort of cover charge like $7, $12 for all the non a la carte restaurants even when you have the promo. It's a reduced base fare, but it's still there, no? Please say no.

Does that mean every time we visit a bar or restaurant and every time we want a refill, we have to stipulate we want a glass of coke or orange juice from a fountain gun and not from a can, bottle or freshly squeezed, (Which would cost extra)?

No. The gun is standard.

Is there any way of knowing which fountain fruit juice they offer free of charge? I'm assuming just your basic mixers like cranberry, pineapple, orange etc? If I order a glass of whiskey and a glass of coke on the side, does that count as my 2 drink per person per order, or just one?

I don't remember off of the top of my head which juices are there but there is plenty of selection. As for the whiskey and Pepsi (no Coke), don't worry about it. Have as many as you want, the bartenders are human. They understand.

And for the Free At Sea Dining promo...(I'm sorry but I'm just so confused with so much conflicting information). Isn't there a sort of cover charge like $7, $12 for all the non a la carte restaurants even when you have the promo. It's a reduced base fare, but it's still there, no? Please say no.

No.

MOST specialty restaurants are covered (apps, salad, 1 entree, sides, dessert) by the SDP. There are a few that require 1 SDP use plus a cover charge....(depends on ship)

• The Supper Club - $15 USD
  • Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Bayamo - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)
  • Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

...there are also some that are a flat rate that are covered by just the SDP (Teppanyaki, Moderno, for ex.)

No. The gun is standard.

I don't remember off of the top of my head which juices are there but there is plenty of selection. As for the whiskey and Pepsi (no Coke), don't worry about it. Have as many as you want, the bartenders are human. They understand.

No.

MOST specialty restaurants are covered (apps, salad, 1 entree, sides, dessert) by the SDP. There are a few that require 1 SDP use plus a cover charge....(depends on ship)

• The Supper Club - $15 USD
  • Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Bayamo - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)
  • Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

...there are also some that are a flat rate that are covered by just the SDP (Teppanyaki, Moderno, for ex.)

OK - So there are other nice places with a simple flat rate, (Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno etc.) that might make the SDP worth it. We were excited about Bayamo though and $15 per person doesn't sound very "free". That's more around $40 CAD for us, not to mention extra cash for good wait staff...$50-$60. Thanks again.

Only on NCL when the nickel and diming turns into 100's of dollars. That free stuff aint so free. It's for your convenience.

I am new to NCL, first cruise the TA on the Star in April. We chose the drink and specialty dining as our"free" add ons. When I calculated that came to $12.50 per person per day, that is close to free. One drink a piece and we are ahead of the game. with 8 sea days, I think we will do just fine! If we were paying by the drink plus service charge plus specialty dining, we would spend twice as much as we are now if not more.

Pat

I am new to NCL, first cruise the TA on the Star in April. We chose the drink and specialty dining as our"free" add ons. When I calculated that came to $12.50 per person per day, that is close to free. One drink a piece and we are ahead of the game. with 8 sea days, I think we will do just fine! If we were paying by the drink plus service charge plus specialty dining, we would spend twice as much as we are now if not more.

Might want to check your math again. The 'free' promotions you chose are costing you $532. Exactly as my post pointed out. Free is costing 100's of dollars.

The free promotions do not cost $52.00 You are adding the DSC which is charged anyway unless you are one of the cheapies that take off the DSC. The grats for the feeebies are $299,00 for the drinks, and about $25.00 for the UDP.

The free promotions do not cost $52.00 You are adding the DSC which is charged anyway unless you are one of the cheapies that take off the DSC. The grats for the feeebies are $299,00 for the drinks, and about $25.00 for the UDP.

Hmm, I am going to guess you are responding to my post above. The person I educated is going on a 14 day transatlantic cruise and the grats for his drink and dining package are indeed $532. $532 for a 'free' promotion aint such a great deal to me.

The Discretionary Service Charge you mention is an entirely different conversation which are indeed charged separately even if you are very generous and voluntarily increase them at the end of the cruise. Hope that helps with your confusion.

Hmm, I am going to guess you are responding to my post above. The person I educated is going on a 14 day transatlantic cruise and the grats for his drink and dining package are indeed $532. $532 for a 'free' promotion aint such a great deal to me.

The Discretionary Service Charge you mention is an entirely different conversation which are indeed charged separately even if you are very generous and voluntarily increase them at the end of the cruise. Hope that helps with your confusion.

Spending $532 for unlimited alcohol and a 4 meal dining package sounds like an excellent deal to me. Especially when standard prices without the promos would probably cost you around $2000 per person across most lines. NCL could probably be a little more transparent in general, but I don't see Carnival or Royal offering savings like that.

Spending $532 for unlimited alcohol and a 4 meal dining package sounds like an excellent deal to me. Especially when standard prices without the promos would probably cost you around $2000 per person across most lines. NCL could probably be a little more transparent in general, but I don't see Carnival or Royal offering savings like that.

I think the problem is that it keeps increasing seems like once per year. Pretty soon the percentage is going to go up once again making it not worth it.

The person I educated is going on a 14 day transatlantic cruise and the grats for his drink and dining package are indeed $532. $532 for a 'free' promotion aint such a great deal to me.

Considering that same drink package on Carnival would be $1594 + $240 gratuity, a gratuity of $532 for drinks and dining package is certainly a included value for the customer.

While yes it still a good deal, it's really not on the longer cruises. That 20% will add up quick.

So sick of NCL raising the gratuities percentage. whats next 30%, ridiculous. NCL is the only line that has them this high (or i may be wrong ) pretty soon these "free perks" will end up costing way too much and little by little they are adding way too many restrictions on these perks.

You can always pay $89/day for the beverage package instead. Your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Considering that same drink package on Carnival would be $1594 + $240 gratuity, a gratuity of $532 for drinks and dining package is certainly a included value for the customer.

Sort of makes it a no brainer, yet some still complain...

• 1 month later...

And yet some seasoned cruisers still feel the need to gripe, moan, confuse and sound totally unrealistic to those of us relatively new the cruise experience just trying to make sense of all the fine print etc. It's kinda frustrating and explains why we're sometimes obsessive about the, "How?, What?, When?, Where? etc. on Threads. Please let us know whenever NCL becomes this inflated, dystopic, "not worth it" scheme. Until then, We're saving thousands with "Free At Sea".