Hurricane Irma and St. Maarten

gtaylor

I know absolutely no one who doesn't believe climate change is real. The issue is what causes it. Some choose to lay 99% at the feet of modern society while more rational folks tend to believe it's a cyclical event that may be exacerbated to some degree by that same society. It's a fruitless argument.

I am not even sure what you just said there but it sounds smart so I will go with that! ;)

I know absolutely no one who doesn't believe climate change is real. The issue is what causes it. Some choose to lay 99% at the feet of modern society while more rational folks tend to believe it's a cyclical event that may be exacerbated to some degree by that same society. It's a fruitless argument.

So people that believe climate change is due to man and industry are not rational?

So people that believe climate change is due to man and industry are not rational?

Not only that, but it's a "fruitless" argument, which I guess means we should just grin and bear it and go on another cruise to watch the glaciers melt. No need to try to figure it out or intervene. Status quo, can't upset it.

I also looked at U Tube and St. Martin. I hope the cruise ship piers held up though the storm. So much money has been invested in expanding the port. I hope for their sake they can accept ships when ready.

The port area doesn't look nearly as bad as other parts of Philipsburgh. Bad, but not as bad.

Not only that, but it's a "fruitless" argument, which I guess means we should just grin and bear it and go on another cruise to watch the glaciers melt. No need to try to figure it out or intervene. Status quo, can't upset it.

The argument as it plays out on boards like this absolutely is fruitless. :)

There is a positive in St. Maarten/St. Martin to me. It's shared. Both the French and Dutch governments are sending supplies, providing policing etc. I think that this will help with the rebuilding and help the island receive tourists sooner as well.

There is a positive in St. Maarten/St. Martin to me. It's shared. Both the French and Dutch governments are sending supplies, providing policing etc. I think that this will help with the rebuilding and help the island receive tourists sooner as well.

The Dutch had relief supplies pre-positioned on naval ships. Not sure about the French.

The Dutch had relief supplies pre-positioned on naval ships. Not sure about the French.

The French have Gendarmes stationed on the island at all times. St.Martin is a Collectivity of France and actually part of the EU. The French Government commented about the damage to both St. Bart's and St. Martin today.

The French have Gendarmes stationed on the island at all times. St.Martin is a Collectivity of France and actually part of the EU. The French Government commented about the damage to both St. Bart's and St. Martin today.

Since the Dutch are also part of the EU perhaps the relief supplies pre-positioned on the Dutch vessels are actually EU supplies. The story I'd seen mentioned only the Dutch but it was early on.

Since the Dutch are also part of the EU perhaps the relief supplies pre-positioned on the Dutch vessels are actually EU supplies. The story I'd seen mentioned only the Dutch but it was early on.

The citizens carry Dutch passports but St Maarten as a country is not part of the EU. So the citizens are but the country is not.

I know someone will correct me if I have this wrong. That's what I understand.

St Martin uses the euro but St. Maarten does not.

If they use the euro then why would it not be part of the Eu? I am just confused

French St. Martin is part of France thus a part of EU and therefore use the euro.

Dutch St. Maarten is part of the Netherlands Antilles, not directly in the Netherlands , not in EU so they use NA Guilders, not the euro (and, practically, use US $)

I also looked at U Tube and St. Martin. I hope the cruise ship piers held up though the storm. So much money has been invested in expanding the port. I hope for their sake they can accept ships when ready.

Notification from management of where we stay on St. Maarten indicates that the cruise facility is badly damaged and is currently unusable. Airport is similarly out of operation due to damage to runway - extent not indicated - but no aircraft in or out other than helicopters for the time being. Small airport at Grand Case is apparently unusable due to collapsed tower on runway.

French St. Martin is part of France thus a part of EU and therefore use the euro.

Dutch St. Maarten is part of the Netherlands Antilles, not directly in the Netherlands , not in EU so they use NA Guilders, not the euro (and, practically, use US $)

Sorry, but St. Maarten is no longer part of the Netherlands Antilles.

That's what 10/10/10 was all about.

Since October 10th, 2010, it has been Country St. Maarten, part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Yes, it is the Netherlands Antilles Guilder, referred to as the Florn. Often abbreviated as NAf.

It is pegged to the USD at 1 USD = 1.79 NAf.

Prices at the gas stations will be posted at 1.78 occasionally, for just a bit more profit. :)

gary

Reports from the Dutch Royal Navy indicate the following quotes and snippets:

The world-renowned Maho Beach is totally lost.The beach where landing planes fly flat over the beachers before landing is no longer.

The same goes for the adjacent bars like Sunset Bar and Grill and Tortuga Beach Café.

For example, the Character Beach bar has been completely wiped away.

the damage to the Princess Juliana airport is high

New hurricane on the way: José

After Irma, a new hurricane might follow. Hurricane José is on the way and possibly reaches the affected islands on Saturday.

gary

Reports from the Dutch Royal Navy indicate the following quotes and snippets:

The world-renowned Maho Beach is totally lost.The beach where landing planes fly flat over the beachers before landing is no longer.

The same goes for the adjacent bars like Sunset Bar and Grill and Tortuga Beach Café.

For example, the Character Beach bar has been completely wiped away.

the damage to the Princess Juliana airport is high

New hurricane on the way: José

After Irma, a new hurricane might follow. Hurricane José is on the way and possibly reaches the affected islands on Saturday.

gary

Are you saying the Sunset Bar & Grill is gone :confused:

Gary,

Thanks for the updates. Sad. I hope that your property and Karysa's property are not as bad as some of these pictures. Obviously you can't get there to check, Looks like it might be a few months at earliest before cruises come back. Devastating for the island's economy.

Are you saying the Sunset Bar & Grill is gone :confused:

Yes. Latest tweet from Captain of HNLMS Zeeland is that recce team in Philipsburg will see if possible for the two Dutch naval vessels to come along side..

The Zeeland is the current Dutch guard ship stationed in the Antilles. As such she is on permanent standby for emergency situations.