Hurricane Irma and St. Maarten

gtaylor

From the New York Times today, they have this headline: Desperation Mounts in Caribbean Islands: ‘All the Food Is Gone’ with these highlights: In the days since Irma pummeled the northeast Caribbean, the social fabric has begun to fray in some of the hardest-hit communities. Residents of St. Martin spoke about a general disintegration of law and order as survivors struggled in the face of severe food and water shortages, and the absence of electricity and phone service. The Dutch territorial side of the island has also experienced widespread security problems at shops, though the issue was reported to have subsided by Sunday, though not completely.

Sadly, this story details many of the challenges facing these islands and areas. This includes about restoring order and safety there.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/world/americas/irma-caribbean-st-martin.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

I just saw on Trip Advisor that the Holland House is temporarily closed. Then I went to FB and found that the Sonesta properties are permanently closed and Holland House just updated their photo, within the last 5 hours, but posted nothing.

The statement from Sonesta on the Facebook page is that they have cancelled all future reservations for the Sonesta properties and that they are closed until further notice. They do not say they are closed permanently. That's just some setting Facebook is showing at the top of the page likely because they have shut down operations for some time to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did all the rocks come from on Maho? That is a 100% sand beach if I recall? Did they get brought up from deeper water during the surge?

The rocks are always there - it is the sand that moves. A storm, particularly one whose wind and waves hit at an angle, can quickly transportation lot of sand --- which is often brought back by the prevailing conditions which created the beach in the first place.

DH spoke to an island resident. She said that her home had some water but that was all. I think that they were very fortunate.

Food is being handed out. She was unaware of any reports of violence and shootings. Looting yes but not people wielding machetes in the streets. Not that this is untrue just that she was unaware of reports of this. There are more and more police and Military and they are in more control of things.

She also said and again I am not sure if this is just what they are being told to keep the calm or if it's the truth but here it is.

GEBE (electricity and water) is supposedly due to be back on in a couple of days.

DH spoke to an island resident. She said that her home had some water but that was all. I think that they were very fortunate.

Food is being handed out. She was unaware of any reports of violence and shootings. Looting yes but not people wielding machetes in the streets. Not that this is untrue just that she was unaware of reports of this. There are more and more police and Military and they are in more control of things.

She also said and again I am not sure if this is just what they are being told to keep the calm or if it's the truth but here it is.

GEBE (electricity and water) is supposedly due to be back on in a couple of days.

She lives on the Dutch side BTW

The rocks are always there - it is the sand that moves. A storm, particularly one whose wind and waves hit at an angle, can quickly transportation lot of sand --- which is often brought back by the prevailing conditions which created the beach in the first place.

Makes sense--- not quite sure why I didn't think of that! Sand much lighter than rocks! Rocks there, sand covering, vicious wind blows sand away and rocks exposed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went on my first cruise back in April and visited the island of Sint Maarten/St Martin. Before, seeing hurricanes affect islands seemed distant to me, even though I felt sorry for those affected. Now, after seeing the beauty of the island, and meeting some of her people, it is devastating to see the damage Hurricane Irma has wrought. My thoughts are with everyone there, and I hope for a speedy recovery. Hopefully some day I will be able to return again and enjoy all that the island offers.

GEBE is the water and electric company. I believe that water is taken from the sea and desalinated. There was drinking water available from taps prior to Irma if that helps answer your question.:)

It does. I was thinking along the lines of wells but I'm not sure islands that size would have any. Hopefully the power that's been restored will get the desalination plants running - assuming that's all they need.

Thanks.

Power and Internet has been restored to some Dutch side areas. Not sure about the French side.

No mention of water though.

Weather has been dry post Irma which is good on so many levels.

The Daily Herald, 12 September.

As it relates to water restoration, the company has been trucking water into the various districts daily. Gordon said the company is looking to open either water valves or fire hydrants in the various districts so that residents can get water on a more sustained basis while GEBE works to restore potable water to each home in every district.

gary

Every time I see a new image from SXM or Barbuda I wonder why folks are chiding FL for being so strong-minded in their planning. I've seen folks on other message boards bellowing "fear-mongerers!" and yet this is the same system.

I'm awaiting aerial images of Key West and Naples. I'm prayerful they do not look like this.

Key West is not much different looking in pics than St. Martin. Tons and tons of devastation. Key west got it hard too about as much really.

I found a really interesting page on FB. It's a local near the Sea Palace where my husband and I stay. He's been posting videos of the Philipsburg boardwalk before, during, and after Irma. There are several large boats that landed on the boardwalk. :o Amazing footage of one of my favorite areas on the island.

in case my link doesn't work, it's keepsxmclean on FB and IG

https://www.facebook.com/keepsxmclean/?ref=br_rs

Has anyone heard from their contacts since Maria went through? I can't find any good news reports.

From what I heard Dominica and PR and USVI were affected the most from Hurricane Maria. St. Maarten was expecting a rain event mostly. No news is probably good news here.

GettyImages_846560366.0.jpg

GettyImages_846550738.jpg

636409227638876073-HurricaneIrmaFLKeys01.JPG

These pictures are bad, but the devastation on St Martin is unprecedented. The winds were 185 on St Martin and 130 on Key West. The structures you would never expect to be destroyed in St Martin were decimated. Praying for all affected by all storms this year. I cannot imagine what these folks are going through.

We're going on a Caribbean cruise leaving Fla on Jan 25, 2018. St Martin was a port of call. We've already been advised we will not be stopping there and Jamaica has been substituted.

Really? Which cruise line and ship?

I haven't heard of a cruise line making definitive port changes beyond October.