Constellation in 2 weeks - a few questions

FirstCruise2331

We sail out of Venice on an 11 night Adriatic / Med cruise on Sept 28th.

First time Celebrity, really looking forward to it. A couple of questions for you experienced Connie cruisers please-

(1) We have anytime dining, should we book a time just to have it locked down or is there generally only a short wait in the MDR if you just wakk up?

(2) In terms of specilaity dining, I always book one night for my wife and I to have a special dinner - which of the speciality venues would you most recommend (we are both not fussy eaters and enjoy all cuisines).

(3) Is there a smaller quieter venue for breakfast / lunch away from the buffet?

(4) Any other "must-do's" on board?

Thanks

We sail out of Venice on an 11 night Adriatic / Med cruise on Sept 28th.

First time Celebrity, really looking forward to it. A couple of questions for you experienced Connie cruisers please-

(1) We have anytime dining, should we book a time just to have it locked down or is there generally only a short wait in the MDR if you just wakk up?

(2) In terms of specilaity dining, I always book one night for my wife and I to have a special dinner - which of the speciality venues would you most recommend (we are both not fussy eaters and enjoy all cuisines).

(3) Is there a smaller quieter venue for breakfast / lunch away from the buffet?

(4) Any other "must-do's" on board?

Thanks

First of all here is a teaser for you. We did this cruise last year and liked it: http://travellove.one/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

Reservations for dinner are not a must. It works fine without. However, you can still do it once you get a feel for how your daily routines work out. Like make a reservation for the next day when you leave the restaurant.

An alternative option for breakfast is the main dining room. You might find it more quiet than the buffet and you are served. Since your name implies you are a first time cruiser you can not use the separate breakfast venue for guest who are members of the loyalty program.

Aqua class suites alos have their own restaurants- Blu and Luminae.

The choice of specialty restaurants is limited on Constellation. There is the Tuscan Grille which is like a good steak house or Qsine which is quirky and offers dishes from all over the world. They are so different that recommending one without knowing your preferences is difficult.

Must Do's? Yes, enjoy your cruise :)

First of all here is a teaser for you. We did this cruise last year and liked it: http://travellove.one/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

Hi

Loved the review and the fab photos.

We are on the cruise on 28 Sept with a slightly different itinerary. Could you tell me if the weather was warm enough for shorts? I really hate wearing long trousers on holiday!

Thanks.

Brenda

You will have a wonderful time on the ship investigating all the venues. The Connie is an older ship, so if that bothers you in the slightest, try the Solstice class. The Edge comes out the end of 2018.

You will thoroughly love the Adriatic ports and their beauty, along with the Med. I hope to do the Adriatic again. Of course, Venice is its own special place! Memories will stay forever...you will be in awe your first time, as everything will be special. Have a great time.

Aqua class has regular cabins with their own restaurant. They are not suites, but have additional amenities. At one time they did have AQ Suites in the Reflection, but those no longer exist. This is just to clarify the post above, as I do not know if you are even in AQ.

Dining time depends on you and your tours in the many ports. I prefer making reservations whenever possible, but if you don't mind waiting for up to 15 minutes, you should be fine. Usually early and later have the smallest wait times and maybe you will be seated right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

We did that cruise out of Venice late September last year on Connie. It was lovely. Warm between 20 to 24 on Venice, Malta was 32 and all ports somewhere in the middle. You do need a jacket for inclement weather in the Adriatic when up on the top deck early morning for sail in, but most days the sun burns through and it quickly warms up. Have a great time, any other questions please just ask.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reservations for dinner are not a must. It works fine without. However, you can still do it once you get a feel for how your daily routines work out. Like make a reservation for the next day when you leave the restaurant.

An alternative option for breakfast is the main dining room. You might find it more quiet than the buffet and you are served. Since your name implies you are a first time cruiser you can not use the separate breakfast venue for guest who are members of the loyalty program.

The choice of specialty restaurants is limited on Constellation. There is the Tuscan Grille which is like a good steak house or Qsine which is quirky and offers dishes from all over the world. They are so different that recommending one without knowing your preferences is difficult.

There is one additional specialty restaurant - Sushi on Five - for an a la carte fee. And you can also have breakfast/brunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe

Hi

Could you tell me if the weather was warm enough for shorts? I really hate wearing long trousers on holiday!

Find your cruise on this website and keep looking. Found it gives good indication of weather the closer to departure. Can't remember how far in advance it actually recognises a particular cruise.

https://cruiseoutlook.com/reports

Thanks for the link to your review! Thanks also for the insights, it's not our first cruise (have done two Royal Carribean cruises) but is our first on Celebrity so no loyalty perks.

I think I'll check out the menus of Tuscan Grille and Qsine on board and see what takes our fancy.

Aqua class has regular cabins with their own restaurant. They are not suites, but have additional amenities. At one time they did have AQ Suites in the Reflection, but those no longer exist. This is just to clarify the post above, as I do not know if you are even in AQ.

If this was a comment on my statement:

I am fully aware that AQ staterooms are no suites and of course you are correct! :D I meant to write Aqua class and suites have their own restsurants... but the word AND got lost.

You will have a wonderful time on the ship investigating all the venues. The Connie is an older ship, so if that bothers you in the slightest, try the Solstice class. The Edge comes out the end of 2018.

You will thoroughly love the Adriatic ports and their beauty, along with the Med. I hope to do the Adriatic again. Of course, Venice is its own special place! Memories will stay forever...you will be in awe your first time, as everything will be special. Have a great time.

Dining time depends on you and your tours in the many ports. I prefer making reservations whenever possible, but if you don't mind waiting for up to 15 minutes, you should be fine. Usually early and later have the smallest wait times and maybe you will be seated right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, love the first day on a cruise walking around the ship geeting my bearings. I don't mind the fact it's a smaller older ship as it's a very port intensive cruise.

We're not in Aqua Class, so we're in steerage!

Fifteen minutes would be fine for a waiting so might just book first night time and see how it goes the o ther days with port visits, etc.

We did that cruise out of Venice late September last year on Connie. It was lovely. Warm between 20 to 24 on Venice, Malta was 32 and all ports somewhere in the middle. You do need a jacket for inclement weather in the Adriatic when up on the top deck early morning for sail in, but most days the sun burns through and it quickly warms up. Have a great time, any other questions please just ask.

Thanks for the info on the weather. 20-24 is ideal for me.

One question I forgot to ask - is there lunch options on embarkation apart from the buffet?

There is one additional specialty restaurant - Sushi on Five - for an a la carte fee. And you can also have breakfast/brunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe

Thanks, I quite like sushi but its quite the healthy option so I'll probably skip as like to indulge on holidays - spend rest of year eating healthy!

The Constellation might be older, but it had a major dry dock this spring and looked very refreshed to us in early July on our Adriatic cruise. We enjoyed it so much that we switched our Alaska cruise next summer from the Solstice to the Millennium (sister ship to the Constellation) and we would go back on the Constellation any time.

The Sunset Bar was a favorite place for us. You can also grab a burger, steak sandwich, chicken, or fish from the grill and sit back there and get table service from the bar. It's a nice experience and there is usually a duo playing music. That was a "hidden gem" for us.

Early October you can get the odd shower...not worth packing a real waterproof as you would be too hot in it anyway! We always take those really cheap throw away ponchos from the £1 shops. Easy to put in your pocket if the weather looks a little 'iffy' as you set off.

Hope you have a great cruise!

We just did the Adriatic cruise on Connie in June this year. Here is a link to my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513499

We ate in both TG and Qsine and felt that both were excellent and worth the extra fees.

We were a group of 8 and we were frustrated with the wait for a table in the MDR every night. There was always a long line particularly after the first show was finished. Perhaps a table for two or a shared table will be easier for you to find.

We enjoyed Sunset Bar and Martini Bar - but the service was frankly way too slow- not enough bartenders.

Our first cruise, a 5 night western Caribbean, was on the Connie January 2014, and it could not have been more perfect. From the mimosas and orange juice upon boarding, to the beautiful cabin (we were on deck 2 and very far aft, and it was fine), to the crew (Captain Tazos had us in stitches), to the food, the beautiful ship, and the absolutely dead calm weather, it could not have been a better introduction to cruising. We are about to take our 2nd Celebrity cruise on Thursday, the Silhouette from Barcelona to Rome. We've been cruising Princess the last 3 cruises, it'll be interesting to compare the difference. You'll love her, I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with this ship.

Celebrity's specialty restaurant charges are very high, but you can usually get a good discount for the first night. Then once you have dined in one, ask the maitre d' about discounts for return visits (or consider a specialty package).

Thanks for the info on the weather. 20-24 is ideal for me.

One question I forgot to ask - is there lunch options on embarkation apart from the buffet?

They usually open cabins at 1.30 and then the buffet is almost empty, so, we board, take the lift to the top of the ship and look around. Just keep going another two flights of outside stairs up to the top and wow. You can see the whole of Venice, almost. when they announced that cabins are open we eat then after our tour of the top deck areas while they are quite. Have a great time.

The Constellation might be older, but it had a major dry dock this spring and looked very refreshed to us in early July on our Adriatic cruise. We enjoyed it so much that we switched our Alaska cruise next summer from the Solstice to the Millennium (sister ship to the Constellation) and we would go back on the Constellation any time.

The Sunset Bar was a favorite place for us. You can also grab a burger, steak sandwich, chicken, or fish from the grill and sit back there and get table service from the bar. It's a nice experience and there is usually a duo playing music. That was a "hidden gem" for us.

Thanks for the tip, will check out the sunset bar. Beer, food and music - three of my favourite things!

Early October you can get the odd shower...not worth packing a real waterproof as you would be too hot in it anyway! We always take those really cheap throw away ponchos from the £1 shops. Easy to put in your pocket if the weather looks a little 'iffy' as you set off.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Thanks, I have a light rain jacket that folds up vety small so will throw that in the case!

We just did the Adriatic cruise on Connie in June this year. Here is a link to my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513499

We ate in both TG and Qsine and felt that both were excellent and worth the extra fees.

We were a group of 8 and we were frustrated with the wait for a table in the MDR every night. There was always a long line particularly after the first show was finished. Perhaps a table for two or a shared table will be easier for you to find.

We enjoyed Sunset Bar and Martini Bar - but the service was frankly way too slow- not enough bartenders.

Thanks, I remember reading your review a few months ago. It's good to read again just before we go. Hopefully the bar service has improved!

Our first cruise, a 5 night western Caribbean, was on the Connie January 2014, and it could not have been more perfect. From the mimosas and orange juice upon boarding, to the beautiful cabin (we were on deck 2 and very far aft, and it was fine), to the crew (Captain Tazos had us in stitches), to the food, the beautiful ship, and the absolutely dead calm weather, it could not have been a better introduction to cruising. We are about to take our 2nd Celebrity cruise on Thursday, the Silhouette from Barcelona to Rome. We've been cruising Princess the last 3 cruises, it'll be interesting to compare the difference. You'll love her, I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with this ship.

Thanks for sharing your happy experiences. We are easy going and I'm sure we'll love Connie.

Celebrity's specialty restaurant charges are very high, but you can usually get a good discount for the first night. Then once you have dined in one, ask the maitre d' about discounts for return visits (or consider a specialty package).

Thanks, will have a look for a deal.on first night.