Would you pick Eastern or Western Itinerary?

cheermomof2girls

Roughly the same price, both on the Breeze in August 2018

One choice is Key West, Freeport & Nassau

Other is Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel.

I was leaning towards Eastern because we have done 5 short cruises, all going to cozumel but didn't know if I was writing off the other two stops prematurely. Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks!

I was leaning towards Eastern because we have done 5 short cruises, all going to cozumel but didn't know if I was writing off the other two stops prematurely. Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks!

if those two itineraries were my only choices, I'd choose the second one. You didn't indicate the sailing dates you're considering, so I'm guessing it isn't anytime soon. Key West is still recovering from Hurricane Irma, so it's out of the question for a while. We've been to Nassau several times, and I'm in no big hurry to go back there. Never been to Freeport, so I can't comment on that. We're basically beach lovers, and the beach at Mahogany Bay is pretty nice. Also love Paradise Beach in Cozumel. When we went to Belize, it was prior to my wife's hip replacement surgery, and she was limited on what she could. If we ever get to go back, I'm sure we'd find an excursion that we'd love to do. Before you decide, go to the "Ports of call" board on here and read the comments that others have posted on each of the ports you've listed. That may help you to decide.

Thanks!

I would do western. While I enjoy key west - no way to know when and how it will be rebuilt. Freeport and Nassau are fine but not preferred ports. Having been to Cozumel multiple times, we just treat it as a beach day or find something new to do - with these longer stops they are opening up some great excursions to the mainland. Belize is a unique port and great for cave tubing or snorkeling. And Roatan is our favorite port with so much to do and see!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I miscalculated, looks like it's about 500 more for the 2nd option. Would that sway you to the 1st choice?

I know nothing about the Eastern ports. I'm leaning that way, just because it's cheaper and something new.

Thanks for the opinions!!

No - it would not sway us. If we are taking a vacation, we are going to go where we want to go. What you (or Carnival) is calling "Eastern" isn't really - its a Bahamas cruise, with a stop in Key West. Bahamas are "meh" compared to the Caribbean. They are flat and crowded, at least Nassau is. There can be 4, 5 or 6+ ships in Nassau. In Freeport, you "have" to book an excursion as it is an industrial port and there is really nothing to do within walking distance. There are things to do in both ports, and we still haven't run out of stuff, but pretty much, both these Bahama ports are "beach days."

They just aren't as exotic and adventuresome as the Western ports. Belize is a fascinating port of call - not for the port which is relatively small, but for the variety of water activities and the amazing twists and turns just to navigate through the reef to where they drop anchor. One of the best excursions we ever took was in Belize - Altun Ha and the River Wallace. Cozumel NEVER gets old because while you can make it a beach day, there are amazing animal encounters at Chankanaab, cooking adventures, Mayan ruins, cave snorkels etc. And Roatan is a beautiful mountainous island with wonderful people. The local food is delicious. You can go to West Bay beach and have a great snorkel right from shore. You can go to Gumbalimba park, the iguana sanctuary, zip line or play with sloths and monkeys.

AS you can see - they are apples and oranges. That is why western is $500 more.

If you haven't been to Atlantis before I would suggest that. The one criuze we took that went to Nassau we did that for the day, it was expensive but it was a really cool place.

As many have said Cozumel is a good port I've been there several times. Belize was okay, and Mahogany Bay is a pretty nice beach considering it is free.

Being you said you've been to Cozumel several times if you haven't been to Nassau before and to Atlantis I would vote that.

I wouldn't even look twice at that first one. I would go with the second one in a nano second.

Key West, Nassau and Freeport are not a Caribbean cruise. That is a Bahamas cruise. And in my opinion, there is no comparison. The Bahamas on a cruise just does not interest me in the teeniest tiniest wee little bit. But, I'm going to Cozumel for the 6th time in 45 days, Belize and Roatan for the second time. And I'd choose them over the Bahamas on any day. I'd gladly pay more! :D

Others will disagree. :cool: