How to address problem with cabin steward

2Oldpeopleinlove

We just completed our first cruise, on the Gem. We did not go aboard looking for things to be critical of...we were prepared to be very happy, and with most features of the cruise, we were. But our cabin steward was another thing.

We didn't expect perfection, and it wasn't horrible, but things like the bathroom sink being cleaned only once (we were shocked at how shiny it was on Friday, so it clearly was a first real cleaning.) and having to clean the toilet closet myself the first day to get rid of the smell of urine...then later finding some crud I don't want to describe on the toilet that was left by a dirty cleaning tool of some kind, probably...used glasses with the old water still in them with the paper caps put back on instead of replacing them with clean ones...a very dirty bath mat left in place of the cleaner used one...that sort of thing the whole week made it clear this steward was in the wrong job.

We wrote several "vacation hero" cards for others, but we find no way to address the poor work done by our cabin steward. We did not complain on board because, as a former restaurant worker and a current restaurant critic, I know service workers find ways to retaliate that you dont't even what to think about. We knew we were stuck with this guy, so we made the best of it.

But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be reassigned so someone else doesn't have to make the best of it after us. So how do we go about that? I find no survey online. There was none offered on board. This man needs to be reassigned to a job he can do well.

Any suggestions?

I would just chalk it up to experience. You have nothing to gain by getting this guy in trouble. Maybe he was just having a bad week. The chances of you ever even seeing him again are slim to none.

OP : re water left in glasses, I think this is standard practice, they don't know what the liquid is and they think you haven't finished it, it might be medication, in my case it sometimes is. I generally leave the glass or cup with a note on top asking them to leave it, but if I haven't they often put a clean paper top on it as you describe.

Re what to do if you are unhappy with the level of cleaning and service, this hasn't happened often with us but it does happen. On the first occasion we might put it down to everyone having a bad day, subsequently we would do something about it right away if it was affecting our comfort and enjoyment of the cruise. We have only had to do this once, we spoke to the pursers desk (many years ago on a line mainly getting uk passengers) and didn't have any further problems.

"play make believe psychologist" lol, you are too.

as with the video, he is literally a doctor. Still more of a reliable source than anyone on this thread. Feel free to post another more credible resource.

I am not playing anything and I don't know or care if he is a real doctor,that doesn't make the video legit. Have you heard there is a difference between fact and opinion? You have yours, he has his and I have mine. I am just not gullible enough to believe everything I read or see. End of story for me.

Do not send food back at a restaurant.

Do not complain about Housekeeping while you're still using your room.

You likely won't be retaliated against, true... but is it a chance you really want to take?

Think about it. Life's too short.

After paying good money for something? Damn well better believe I am going to complain/send something back. If I order something at McDonald's no, not worth it. If I am at a nice restaurant and order a steak and it is not close to correct, you better believe I am sending it back. I paid to get what I ordered like I ordered it. I am not going to just go "oh well" chef had a bad day. They are either going to cook it correctly or comp my meal and I will walk out.

If I spent a thousand dollars for a cruise, you better believe I am going to complain if something is not cleaned properly. visible dirt left on the toilet and dirty glasses left is not close to being done properly. If I even got a hint that they retaliated against me I would even make a bigger stink. A certain level of service should be expected and anything short of that should not be settled for or eventually that will become the norm.

Do not send food back at a restaurant.

Do not complain about Housekeeping while you're still using your room.

You likely won't be retaliated against, true... but is it a chance you really want to take?

Think about it. Life's too short.

Recently when staying at a hotel that had an in-room Keurig, there was only one decaf pod and no packet with stirrer/sweetener/napkin. Clearly the machine had been used and just overlooked during replenishment. Using the same chain hotel often I know there is usually multiple regular coffee pods, tea, and a decaf

On my way out for the day I stopped by front desk and said my coffee maker had not been replenished from the prior guest, would they please ask housekeeping to do so when servicing the room.

When I got back the machine was replenished. Mission accomplished.

There was a card in the room offering a free beer or wine at the hotel bar. Above and beyond.

Do I think housekeeping took the time to find my toothbrush and scrub the toilet with it? Uh, no.

Are people so scared in this world now that they are not willing to nicely note something to be corrected so that everyone has a good result? And why would I automatically think the person providing the service would immediately go to a spiteful position when a deficiency is noted or a request made? Most, probably the vast majority, just take care of whatever it was. Simple. And anyone in a service position that WOULD stoop to such a level doesn't deserve their job and certainly not a gratuity.

Treat people like people and you often get a good response. I certainly believe a hospitality company is a place to ask for a standard for service

Recently when staying at a hotel that had an in-room Keurig, there was only one decaf pod and no packet with stirrer/sweetener/napkin. Clearly the machine had been used and just overlooked during replenishment. Using the same chain hotel often I know there is usually multiple regular coffee pods, tea, and a decaf

On my way out for the day I stopped by front desk and said my coffee maker had not been replenished from the prior guest, would they please ask housekeeping to do so when servicing the room.

When I got back the machine was replenished. Mission accomplished.

There was a card in the room offering a free beer or wine at the hotel bar. Above and beyond.

Thank you. Yes.

Do I think housekeeping took the time to find my toothbrush and scrub the toilet with it? Uh, no.

Are people so scared in this world now that they are not willing to nicely note something to be corrected so that everyone has a good result? And why would I automatically think the person providing the service would immediately go to a spiteful position when a deficiency is noted or a request made? Most, probably the vast majority, just take care of whatever it was. Simple. And anyone in a service position that WOULD stoop to such a level doesn't deserve their job and certainly not a gratuity.

Treat people like people and you often get a good response. I certainly believe a hospitality company is a place to ask for a standard for service

Thank you. Yes I agree 100%.

This issue should have been handled on board. There is always a box near the Guest Services desk, that has the name of the Hotel director on it. He/She reads EVERY NOTE in the box and takes appropriate action privately whether the comment made was positive or negative.

With the Corporate Offices being closed most of last week and the week before because of Hurricane Irma, it will take awhile to clear all the backlog.

Agreed. It's always best to handle things like this complaint on board the ship. The Hotel Director will take action to make things right. I wouldn't be at all concerned about retaliation, but if for some reason the problem continues or worsens the Hotel Director needs to know and will certainly take stronger action.