Am I being unreasonable?

dee2673

I am not seeking an apology from someone on a message board.

But please understand that HAL cancelled my cruise. I suppose I could have booked with another line but wanted to cruise with my preferred line which is HAL. I did not choose to cancel. HAL redeployed my cruise. Didn’t sound like you understood as I never cancelled. But again , go ahead and say whatever you want

Hope you’re happier on whatever other line you’ve chosen

I think you made yourself clear in your initial post. HAL cancelled your cruise not you. Not sure how someone could think otherwise.

Dee2673-- My mother and I booked an 11 day cruise for next year on Veendam while on board Veendam earlier this year. No promos going on at the time and we only had an oceanview so all we had for perks was $100 in OBC each (which I guess is the 'thanks for sailing with us' credit doubled). Couple months later, cruise was cancelled. Letter we got from HAL suggested several replacement cruises, none of which appealed to us, and said we had two months to rebook. We wound up picking up another cruise, which also happened to be 11 days, on Zuiderdam in an OV one category less than we had on Veendam. E4 was the current promo, so we got that (the price without the promo was I think only $45 less, so free drinkies for me woohoo!), we got the extra $50 sorry for the inconvenience OBC even though we didn't pick one of their suggested cruises, and we kept the previous $100pp OBC for booking on board (although my mother had to put her foot down on this and it had to be approved by some supervisor in accounting or somesuch). If you search the board for Veendam in late July/early August, you'll find posts about what happened with myself and others. I do get why they couldn't give you the perks that you had, but I do think that since you've rebooked a cruise of the same length in a comparable cabin category, you should get your original OBC that wasn't associated with the promo (i.e. what you got for booking on board) plus the sorry for the hassle extra OBC for however much they give to suite pax. You may have a problem in that you've already rebooked, but if you call them back on Monday and say something to the effect of "Look, you guys cancelled this on us, we didn't HAVE to rebook, but the very least you should do for us is give us the OBC to which we were originally entitled for booking on board. YOU cancelled on us...." and push to a supervisor if necessary. maybe throw in something about how it's kindof crazy on their part to leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth over $X in OBC.... Anyway, I hope you're successful. Please let us know how it goes.

I disagree. Where does that money come from? Say HAL does not lower the price. The cruiser makes demands (100% acceptable to them) that HAL, the one who gets the money, will not accept and the middleman is to make it up somehow. If they do I hope they are not an agent I do business with as they will have to add a little on every cruise they book to make up for every one of these "compensations" they do. Money does not just appear. This cancel and re-booking has already cost them money from the original booking. This is up to HAL with the TA spending time (and money) to negotiate.

I see your point. However, I believe that, since it is also a customer of HAL's, the big box TA will have more leverage in negotiating on behalf of OP, especially if the big box TA understands that it could lose OP's business if it cannot negotiate a resolution that is 100% satisfactory to OP.

In the end, whoever takes the hit will pass the cost on to its customers and/or shareholders. As a Carnival Corporation shareholder and frequent cruiser on HAL, I would rather see OP's big box TA take the hit than for us shareholders to take it. Call it a case of enlightened self-interest. JMO

Edited by avian777

We've had a few cruises cancelled by HAL. Each time we were able to keep the promo package, but the price we paid stayed the same even though the current price for the cruise with no promo was much less. If you paid less for your rebooked cruise, I think you gave up the original package. Someone should have explained this to you at the time you rebooked.

I see your point. However, I believe that, since it is also a customer of HAL's, the big box TA will have more leverage in negotiating on behalf of OP, especially if the big box TA understands that it could lose OP's business if it cannot negotiate a resolution that is 100% satisfactory to OP.

In the end, whoever takes the hit will pass the cost on to its customers and/or shareholders. As a Carnival Corporation shareholder and frequent cruiser on HAL, I would rather see OP's big box TA take the hit than for us shareholders to take it. Call it a case of enlightened self-interest. JMO

Your disclosure does put more light on your post. My disclosure: I no longer own shares in any cruise line or in fact, resort category (the run was nice) and dropped my membership in big box "clubs" many years ago.

I do agree with you that the TA will have more leverage with the cruise line and is a good reason for using a TA and understand better why you pushed the TA over the CL. That said, from reading various posts over many boards it seems there old adage of "you get what you pay for" sometimes still applies and some TAs are more receptive than others.

Your disclosure does put more light on your post. My disclosure: I no longer own shares in any cruise line or in fact, resort category (the run was nice) and dropped my membership in big box "clubs" many years ago.

I do agree with you that the TA will have more leverage with the cruise line and is a good reason for using a TA and understand better why you pushed the TA over the CL. That said, from reading various posts over many boards it seems there old adage of "you get what you pay for" sometimes still applies and some TAs are more receptive than others.

Thanks for your polite and thoughtful response. Like you, I am not a member of any big box travel clubs and have always used a full-service TA because I believe in that old adage!!!

Smooth sailing :) :) :)

I’m going to call my TA in the morning. Let him know the minimum that would make me happy. Which is actually pretty small. And let him handle it.

I can’t remember what was discussed when I rebooked. But I do know I would have noted it if I’d known I’d lost my promos.

Whatever the result I’ll come back and let you know the outcome. Either way, it will not ruin my cruise. Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful posts, no matter what way you thought I should go

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m going to call my TA in the morning. Let him know the minimum that would make me happy. Which is actually pretty small. And let him handle it.

I can’t remember what was discussed when I rebooked. But I do know I would have noted it if I’d known I’d lost my promos.

Whatever the result I’ll come back and let you know the outcome. Either way, it will not ruin my cruise. Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful posts, no matter what way you thought I should go

I hope you get your original OBC and pre-paid gratuities. Good luck!

Good Morning, all.

Turned out as I sort of expected. Neither HAL nor The TA offered any additional compensation.

However ... it caused me to do a deep dive into a drawer filled with papers and other stuff. In addition to finding my lost stapler and a ring, lol, I found my old paperwork . I WAS being unreasonable.

With having the deposit being non refundable , the price for this cruise was about 500. less than if we had kept the promo. I am getting old and honestly did not remember any discussion of that sort. Because I am wonderfully self aware and accept that I am old, I have taken to writing everything down. If only I could remember where I put my notes. Lol. I’m glad I found them and next time , I’ll pay better attention.

Anyway, other than looking like a bit of a jerk, I’m OK. HAL is OK. Stockholders are OK.

Have a great day

Good Morning, all.

Turned out as I sort of expected. Neither HAL nor The TA offered any additional compensation.

However ... it caused me to do a deep dive into a drawer filled with papers and other stuff. In addition to finding my lost stapler and a ring, lol, I found my old paperwork . I WAS being unreasonable.

With having the deposit being non refundable , the price for this cruise was about 500. less than if we had kept the promo. I am getting old and honestly did not remember any discussion of that sort. Because I am wonderfully self aware and accept that I am old, I have taken to writing everything down. If only I could remember where I put my notes. Lol. I’m glad I found them and next time , I’ll pay better attention.

Anyway, other than looking like a bit of a jerk, I’m OK. HAL is OK. Stockholders are OK.

Have a great day

Thanks for reporting back.

You are not old at all :).

There is a lot of stuff thrown at you when you are booking. It can get hard to remember every detail.

When you mentioned the non refundable in your original post, it caught my eye and that is why I said it might be cheaper in my very early post on this thread and was the only point I was trying to make back earlier to compare "apples to apples".

It sounds like you got the best deal and that's the main thing.

Have a great cruise :).

Good Morning, all.

Have a great day

Thank you for this very uplifting Post, dee2673!!! It takes a very big person to admit a mistake and take ownership of that mistake. I wish you the best on all your future travels.

Smooth sailing :) :) :)

Glad you found the paperwork and let us know the outcome. I also keep notes and staple everything together in a travel folder until I leave for the trip.

You don't look like a jerk at all.

Enjoy the cruise!

Agree it is great you came back and updated the thread.

I am very familiar with where you put those documents. I have safely stored many things in that same place. Unlike you though I have not found it again yet. Still hopeful. Enjoy your new found stapler. And the cruise.